Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3149873 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10125 on: April 29, 2012, 04:26:16 am »
Ha ha, I wish it was a runner Cliff, but you know me, I don't do easy........... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #10126 on: April 29, 2012, 09:29:16 am »

Looking good Terry - I have seen two of those model BMW's at work since you got yours - both in black.

BTW - I am off to America on 8th July for work - San Francisco for five days, then Denver for four days, then Buffalo for two days, then upstate New york to visit a fellow CB450 builder, then meeting my wife in NYC for ten days holiday.

And I am taking an empty suitcase for parts!
madu,
    I hope the CB450 member over there can bless you w/ a very low mileage crankshaft assembly for you're CB450 project engine..it could be cheaper then having it rebuilt & rephased.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline marknpb

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10127 on: April 29, 2012, 09:53:02 am »
Not today, but last Thursday. I'm just learning how to work on bikes, so I decided to bring it to a shop until my skills are at my comfort level, as they are with hot rods and Chevy V8's.
This is from Thursday:
Stopped by the shop today to see the progress. The guy was almost done! ANother day or two (they're closed SUN, MON) and it will be done! Some interesting finds so far too.
Asked for a carb rebuild and full inspection, tune-up, etc. (make sure the 38 year old bike is safe!)
1.The bike has a dyna ignition and dyna coils already installed...Yay!
2. I bought all 5 control cables new, but the throttle cables were made wrong, with the nuts on the wrong side of the fitting? (that's what the mechanic said) so I will try tracking down a different brand for them (after making sure he's right, when I get the bike back), meanwhile, there was nothing wrong with the originals, I was just replacing them because, they're OLD.
3. Rectifier installed, the old one was bad and the plug no longer gets hot when running. (did I mention it was running on the bench, yeah, running SMOOTH and sounding sweet!)
3. POV had used green nitrile A/C o-rings in previous carb rebuild, that explains the drip!
4. remember to order connector tube o-rings when you order carb kits, they don't come with them!
5. headlight housing wiring was "customized" and is now back to normal.
6. New fuel tank petcock installed. I have rebuild kit and new screen too, so I'll clean up the old one and have a spare for the cafe project.
7. I had Iridium plugs and Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil installed, with new air filter, oil and filter change.
8. I had him check the tires and rims, spokes were fine, tires nearly new, tubes and liners he said looked new too.
9. new brake pads and shoes, brake fluid flush and replacement....not done yet, guess that's what they needed Tues for.
10. Carbs rebuilt. they NEEDED it, he showed me the insides last week, GUMMY in there! One float was chipped, but not compromised yet.

He said the shocks on this seem to be newer progressive type shocks, VERY clean, but they look kinda like the originals to me (after checking the manual, the original shows three points of adjustment, the ones on my bike have at least 6). It looks like I may get to ride as early as next weekend!
Now I have to keep looking for that cafe project frame (and title)!
1974 CB750
too nice to cafe, going to make it nice and ride it,
looking for second frame with title to cafe out

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #10128 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:49 am »
Fixing the broken ground wires for both rear blinkers on the XL250s.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:55:09 am by CycleRanger »
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #10129 on: April 29, 2012, 02:26:26 pm »
Terry, look at you with your fancy new parts. Im jealous. If you decide to tour the u.s. I know a guy in australia with a BMW stashed over here.

I guess since Terry's been so nice to me I'd let him ride my bike if he went to the US. My dad still hasn't rode it. He has started it a few times at least. Maybe I should have left it with you.

Offline Boulevard_beck

What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10130 on: April 29, 2012, 05:18:19 pm »
Mocked up what my bike will look like once I restore everything and finally get the gas tank and seat installed. It's coming along nicely after replacing the front shocks with Progressives and installing AllBalls steering bearings, which was an adventure in itself.

Offline Hablo

« Reply #10131 on: April 29, 2012, 08:33:47 pm »
Today was a good day.  I didn't do any work on the bike but I did cruise out to the canyon with
a buddy.  Lots of long twisting roads in 80 degree weather.  Couldn't ask for much more.
'73 CB350F

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10132 on: April 30, 2012, 01:59:29 am »
Terry, look at you with your fancy new parts. Im jealous. If you decide to tour the u.s. I know a guy in australia with a BMW stashed over here.

I guess since Terry's been so nice to me I'd let him ride my bike if he went to the US. My dad still hasn't rode it. He has started it a few times at least. Maybe I should have left it with you.

Ha ha, sorry Adam, I'd forgotten that you're a fellow BMW pilot, so I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I've got an excuse though, I'm as dumb as dogshiit! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Rhummy

« Reply #10133 on: April 30, 2012, 04:11:27 am »
Sunday list of things that were done. 

1. Replaced all the fuel lines on the carbs with correct lines.
2. Tappets are done.  6 of 8 were WAY WAY too tight.
3. Timing adjusted.  It looked like this had never been done.  Almost a whole degree of timing off.
4. Did some minor lubing of parts, levels, and such

Next on the list is a carb sync, new front pads, and some minor issues.  All I can say is since I have done tappets and timing, my old 77 cb550 runs a lot better.
1977 CB550f

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #10134 on: April 30, 2012, 05:55:56 am »
last night i painted the seat lock and indicator light housing for the 550 - took off the masking this AM before work and they look great!  it's the little details.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #10135 on: April 30, 2012, 11:43:00 am »
Fitted my front fender and fitted new brake pads. Tried to fix my mystery popping oil gallery plug to no avail.  :-[
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline cmonSTART

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10136 on: April 30, 2012, 11:49:02 am »
New left side fork seals and bushings in my GL1100, repaired the fender mounts and installed a tube in the front wheel.  (Darn thing had a slow leak for the longest time.  I decided just to install a tube in it and be done with it.) 

She handles very well now!
1981 GL1100 Interstate
1978 CB750F Project

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #10137 on: April 30, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »
FINALLY after 2 months at the local body I finally got the tank and side covers for my kids 73 750 back. Still needs a few odds and ends to finish it up but this bike will definitely be on the road again this month.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

maduncle

« Reply #10138 on: April 30, 2012, 06:50:14 pm »
New left side fork seals and bushings in my GL1100, repaired the fender mounts and installed a tube in the front wheel.  (Darn thing had a slow leak for the longest time.  I decided just to install a tube in it and be done with it.) 

She handles very well now!

Nice.

A GL100 is on my list of bikes to own.

Offline MOtub

« Reply #10139 on: April 30, 2012, 07:52:45 pm »
Put a new clutch cable on my 550, then went for a short ride. It works!
76 CB400F
74 CB550
73 CL125S

Offline fishslayeryo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10140 on: April 30, 2012, 07:58:05 pm »
New spokes and new tires...metzler lazertechs...now to get her running:)
'71 CB750 K1...work in progress:)
Budget Build: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100525.0

Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #10141 on: April 30, 2012, 09:00:21 pm »
Bought some old 76f Koni shocks for one of the bikes.  Not bad for $100

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10142 on: April 30, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »
Saturday my Vintage Connections package arrived so it was time to play Honda Electrician. I had already gotten my electrical stuff ready for just this moment. I had included in my plans to replace all connections that were not new/NOS. That turned out to be maybe 20 or so only.

I began by strapping on the NOS harness to begin the electrical mock up.

I next tackled the infamous Headlight Spaghetti

Moving to the rear I then took on the front junction box most folks don't have to deal with

Once comfortable those 2 areas were in good shape I moved to the real electrical stuff

That was it for Sunday. Once outta bed and a cup of coffee downed, email read and forum checked I was back out to the garage. I eagerly awaited word from ElectroSport about what to do with their brown and green wires from the regulator portion of the reg/rect combo unit. Just as i was getting up from the computer that email came through. Excellent timing! First thing I had to do was make a mount for the reg/rect unit from some aluminum bar, drill 3 holes and spray it black. Then test fitting units and wiring. MuthaF'er! It's a #$%* but patience is required. In the end the jig saw puzzle all fit.

Now it was time to button the electricals up so I can install my Dyna 2000 tomorrow. Gratification ensued  ;D

I was so pleased I installed the headlight and closed the junction box then installed the wiring straps up front.

Figured what the hell and installed the oil filter for #$%*s and grins then started getting the Dyna 2000 stuff ready and called it a day. Tomorrow it's Dyna Time and I'm hoping my weekly trip to the Honda shop will reap my parts reward I'm eagerly awaiting. If so this weekend (gotta work the rest of the week  :'( )I'll get started on completion of the rear end, put the seat back on, dig out the CR31's, clean up my Kerker and install it. I MIGHT have a bike next week!! But there will probably be another parts order, you know how plans go!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:52:55 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #10143 on: May 01, 2012, 06:43:01 am »
Looking good Jerry!  8)
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #10144 on: May 01, 2012, 10:21:41 am »
Put some temporary winkys on and started sorting the rats nest.

'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #10145 on: May 01, 2012, 11:48:37 am »
Nice Winkers Les, are they LED's? and do you have them set up w/ the relay ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #10146 on: May 01, 2012, 11:52:49 am »
Ordinary bulbs. I prefer the stock signals myself but the chrome is sh1t on mine.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:55:03 am by LesterPiglet »

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10147 on: May 01, 2012, 11:58:04 am »
partsnmore has the repro's for a good price.  Stems too.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #10148 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:46 pm »
Not those North American ones... ??? European ones are nicer IMHO.   Ah, they have them in the 750K section.  Thanks Really?

Offline grachman

« Reply #10149 on: May 01, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »
Installed exhaust
Installed NOS wiring harness
Just waiting on my bullet connectors to arrive so I can hook up my "all-in-one" LH switch without destroying the brand new harness.  tick tock tick tock.
Glenn
"wake me up when we're all nomads again."

1974 CB550