Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3148883 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10275 on: May 13, 2012, 04:06:51 am »
Well done Terry - you could almost sell them as an after market improvement kit.

What did I do to any of my bikes today?

Not f*%king much - as it pissed down rain here in Thornbury, but I did buy myself a locker for my shed to keep my riding gear in.

And apparently tried to stuff your testicles inside an old helmet Cliff? Ah, the things we get up to on wet Sundays........... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

maduncle

« Reply #10276 on: May 13, 2012, 04:28:26 am »
Well done Terry - you could almost sell them as an after market improvement kit.

What http://www.bikeexif.com/1969-honda-cb750 I do to any of my bikes today?

Not f*%king much - as it pissed down rain here in Thornbury, but I did buy myself a locker for my shed to keep my riding gear in.

And apparently tried to stuff your testicles inside an old helmet Cliff? Ah, the things we get up to on wet Sundays........... ;D

Left testicle only Terry - I am not THAT sick...

Offline grachman

« Reply #10277 on: May 13, 2012, 11:20:36 am »
Installed front fender.
Installed rear turn signals and mocked up the tail light...still need to make a bracket.
My bullet connectors from oregon connectors came in, so I made a custom wiring harness in the headlight bucket to attached my NOS harness (don't want to cut it up) to the aftermarket "all in one" left hand switch.
Charged battery.
Bench synced and installed carbs and airbox while waiting for the battery to charge.

I was super excited to start the thing after it's never been started in 30 years.  Turned the key to test the lights/signals/horn/etc....nothing.  Fuses and panel looked good, so I started checking my grounds beginning with battery.  Removed the battery charger and realized I broke off the negative terminal on the brand new battery when I hooked it up.  :(  No time to go get a new battery, so it'll have to wait.  Super bummed....but it'll give me some time to make a bracket for the taillight.
Glenn
"wake me up when we're all nomads again."

1974 CB550

Offline Hablo

« Reply #10278 on: May 13, 2012, 12:03:19 pm »
Got my parts back from the powder coater earlier this week and got to working on it this weekend.

Put the little, colored plastic pieces in the upper handlebar clamp and used 3M emblem adhesive to
glue the dash plate onto the dash.
Replaced the old, bent headlight ears with some straight ears I found online.
Put on the upper triple tree and dash. Made sure to torque it all to within the specs in my manual.
Replaced headlight bucket, (New bucket already has a crack @ the hole where it bolts to the left ear).
Installed the front turn signals.
Installed the tail/brake light and bracket I had powder coated.  Tail/brake light would not light up,
figured out the powder coating was not letting the bracket ground to the fender.  Loosened the bracket
and used a dremel to get down to some bare metal on a couple places that will never be seen.  Tightened
it all back up and now the tail/brake light is working just fine.
Finally, went on a short little ride around town!

Next up I think will be a rear tire. 
'73 CB350F

Offline piute

• Piute
  • TRICK OR TREAT...B....es
« Reply #10279 on: May 13, 2012, 09:52:13 pm »
Paul did/worked with me all day to get Piute's Putt running today.<smiley image="anim_handshake.gif"/>
  She is running great no back-fires at any time on the throttle,cam chain is quite,no leaks,One happy Native American ready to check out these down south Hill-billy roads,move over coming thru
Ride to live Live for Jesus
1977 750 F2

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #10280 on: May 14, 2012, 01:32:57 am »
Just got back from my first ever Nascar race in Darlington........what a blast.

Fired it up for the first time in a week, she ran just ok. Will check her out more later, as its pissing rain.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #10281 on: May 14, 2012, 04:05:58 am »
Nice job, Terry!  I used similar pieces to upgrade the clutch linkage on my  jeep.

Went for a ride yesterday and got lucky :) - well when I got home there was a nice 2" piece of wire sticking out of the rear, it still has the same pressure this morning, the wire didn't make it through.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10282 on: May 14, 2012, 04:13:43 am »
Nice job, Terry!  I used similar pieces to upgrade the clutch linkage on my  jeep.

Thanks mate, I can't imagine why BMW went to the trouble of installing needle roller bearings on the shifter lever pivot, then went cheap arse on the linkage itself? Anyway, it's all fixed now, and the bike is almost back on the road! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Blitzburgh207

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10283 on: May 14, 2012, 05:25:49 am »
Well I put 15 miles on the new motor yesterday!  ;D it was perfect.  It ran beautifully without one cough or misfire and I haven't checked my plugs, but I my tuning from last year on the rebuilt carbs feels pretty damn good. I forgot how quick she is!

I could have ridden it all day, except my seat isnt done yet, so my tail light was taped to the battery, no blinkers, no mirrors, and I was sitting on my old seat's pad lol. ...pretty ghetto but I didn't care as long as I didn't come across the police!  8)

Should have the seat done by the end of the week! Can't wait to ride!
1978 CB750 K8

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10284 on: May 14, 2012, 09:26:40 am »
Paul did/worked with me all day to get Piute's Putt running today.<smiley image="anim_handshake.gif"/>
  She is running great no back-fires at any time on the throttle,cam chain is quite,no leaks,One happy Native American ready to check out these down south Hill-billy roads,move over coming thru

I moved over, come on.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10285 on: May 14, 2012, 09:39:29 am »
All Balls Bearing kits.  Front and rear.
Stripped my tank(Citristrip Gel) down to the shiny stuff.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10286 on: May 14, 2012, 10:16:36 am »
Took a good look at it then went to my basement and got my new CR31's and new boots out to install tomorrow.

jealous :P

Where'd you get the CRs and how much did you pay? What intake are you using?

I saw the receipt and realized I've been sitting on these for 2 years!! Damn, I'm slow. Deliberate but slow  ;D Got them from Dynoman for ~ $775 I think but not sure and at work. I have new stock intake boots.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10287 on: May 14, 2012, 10:38:38 am »
Pulled my CR's outta the basement to play. Got the new air filters, new intake boots and clamps out too. Did some test fitting. Damn, it's gonna hurt to take them back off only to reinstall next time out. Need to get fittings for synching then install. Need to get remote idle adjuster. Jim French is sooo kind to be sending me a bracket for that!! Thanks Big Jim!! Got my Kerker out to get it ready. Installed my new stainless exhaust studs. After ordering 1000's of parts for the restore I realized I don't have the exhaust seals. Ordered. Sux! Spent a good deal of time/hours getting the exhaust cleaned of baked on bugs and road stuff. Decided to install my new competition baffle but couldn't figure out how to get the original one out. Did that battle then afterwards found out it's entirely different than the replacement.

Up next for the weekend: Oil, bleed brakes, grease swingarm, fittings in intake boots hopefully, install throttle cables then carbs and filters, take a look at my tail light to see if I can save it. ETC
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10288 on: May 14, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »
Drove mine over 130 miles today. Woke up early to head to the DMV for my road test. Passed, now I can ride without a helmet legally!
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Scotty J

« Reply #10289 on: May 14, 2012, 01:37:35 pm »
Since I just found this thread, I'll count my wintering over as today:  rearsets, progressive springs, needle steering bearings, fresh AmsOil, polished forks, polished controls, and a bunch of other little this n thats.  Should be roadworthy again by the weekend.
1972 Honda CB750 Four
2010 BMW R1200 GSA

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #10290 on: May 14, 2012, 02:07:01 pm »
I polished the master cyl... and then wasn't satisfied so I started polishing it some more.

It's still not done.

I just went at it with some 1500grit emoryclothpaper.... smooth out the pits. then polish again.
I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #10291 on: May 14, 2012, 04:55:03 pm »
mmmmm shiny  8)

peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline coke

• Hot Shot
    • Bob and Bob Bikes and Cars and Rides
« Reply #10292 on: May 14, 2012, 07:06:35 pm »
Rode her to work and grand daughters t-ball game and dinner... lots of looks from the public
1974 Honda CB350F
1976 Honda CB750F
1977 Honda CB750 F2 SuperSport
2009 H/D VRSCAW VRod
2011 H/D Road Glide Ultra
2007 Kawi 650r Ninja
1999 HD 883 Sportster (bought back from youngest son)
1999 Kawi 1500 Nomad (given to oldest son)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10293 on: May 15, 2012, 02:45:52 am »
Drove mine over 130 miles today. Woke up early to head to the DMV for my road test. Passed, now I can ride without a helmet legally!

Why the hell would you want to ride without a helmet mate? Are the roads on your side of the pond made from marshmallow? I understand that good helmets are expensive, and kind of inconvenient at times, but they do serve a very important purpose.............  ???

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #10294 on: May 15, 2012, 04:03:27 am »
Yesterday put a newer swing arm on from 73.  Seems to be tight can't wait to try it on the road.

maduncle

« Reply #10295 on: May 15, 2012, 05:00:40 am »

I put bar end mirrors on my VFR750 - yes, I was bored.

But now I can see what is happening either side of me.

Offline Magilla

• Expert
  • My bike: 1976 CB750F
« Reply #10296 on: May 15, 2012, 11:30:53 am »
Rode it.  For the first time ever.
1972   Honda CB350
1972   Yamaha 500
1982   Yamaha 650
1988   Harley Sportster 883
1983   HD FXR Shovelhead
2003   HD Heritage Softail
2006   Victory Vegas Jackpot
1980   Honda CB650
1976   Honda CB750K
1982   Honda CB750
1964   Honda CA95
1982   Kawasaki 550
1974   Honda CL360
1975   Suzuki GT550
1981   Honda CB750
1981   Honda CB750
1970   Norton Commando
1972   Yamaha U7E
1970   BMW R50/5
1976   Honda CB750F

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10297 on: May 15, 2012, 11:57:11 am »

Why the hell would you want to ride without a helmet mate? Are the roads on your side of the pond made from marshmallow? I understand that good helmets are expensive, and kind of inconvenient at times, but they do serve a very important purpose.............  ???

I don't know why. I just like the ride without a helmet. I have a nice helmet. Not sure if it was expensive. Around 300+ for it.. I will wear it when I go for long rides but not for short ones.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #10298 on: May 15, 2012, 12:02:01 pm »
Tews,  you do know that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home?...Larry

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10299 on: May 15, 2012, 12:07:23 pm »
Tews,  you do know that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home?...Larry

I did not know that. Is that true? Am I the only person who does not prefer to wear a helmet?