Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3148594 times)

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10525 on: May 29, 2012, 06:33:30 pm »
god i hate the written word sometimes.... its like text messaging... the way you read it, gives the message its context, so miss interpretations happen,

True
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #10526 on: May 29, 2012, 08:01:02 pm »
I took my STs rims to the shop to have the tires changed.... what tire changing devices are you all do it yourselfers using.. im thinking of getting something to do it yourself myself :o ;D
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10527 on: May 30, 2012, 02:02:59 am »
went fr a ride, for about 80km, on the way home the bike was hunting on off throttle, and makeing a racket from the chain area.... cant be the chain, its only 6 months old.... well let this be a lesson, buy a good quality chain, cos this thing stretched that bad, that i had to buy another on the way home, i bought top quality sprockets, but didnt have the cash at the time for a good chain.... long story short, the chain was stuffed.

old chain on the left, new 530 RK o ring on the right...hmmm

one of these things is not like the other

peace

PS and before anyone decides they are gonna flame me for bad chain care, this chain was lubed 2 times a week, but had to deal with daily 24km trip in torrential rain, pretty much 6 days a week (they call it a wet season for a reason), it was cheap ( cos i was broke trying to start my practice), it was non o ring, i think must have only been good for 500cc...lol

remarkably they are both 530 chains, with the same pitch and width at the rollers (i checked i was a fitter/toolmaker in a former life)

G'Day Ben, I bought a cheap 530 "Non O Ring" chain offa EBay some years ago (seller was in QLD) and it was awful quality, so I didn't use it, the links were really thin metal, just awful, looked worse than OEM, and that's saying something...... I installed an RK X Ring chain and 7 years and many 120+ MPH runs later, there's no noticeable stretch. Good stuff.

Having said that though, in my opinion, I agree with Brown Bomber, a good quality, well maintained "non O Ring" chain is just as good as an O ring chain. Tsubaki apparently still make a 530 non O ring chain, and considering that they make arguably the best cam chain in the world, I'd be happy to buy one of their drive chains. Chains get hot (that's why you should always lube your chain AFTER a ride so the lube will penetrate it.........) and I wouldn't trust the couple of microns of chain lube sealed behind an O ring to last more than a couple of hundred miles on a hot day, much less than for the life of a chain.

ALL chains, regardless of whether they're O ring or non O ring, require regular maintenance and lubrication, or they'll wear out prematurely. I don't use fancy chain wax or crap like that, I use chainsaw cutter bar oil (which is just sticky engine oil) that I brush on with a paintbrush. There's probably a better method, but it works for me. I used to use Duckhams chain grease (you heated it up on your stove and dropped your cleaned chain into it when it melted) but I don't think you can buy it any more, probably due to all the houses that burnt down and the 3rd degree burns that most of us Duckhams fans received in the course of our chain maintenance. Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #10528 on: May 30, 2012, 04:18:23 am »
i do agree terry, about a well maintained non o ring chain, but the conditions up here were abysmal, and the RK chain was actually old stock at my Honda dealer, so i got it for a great price. i worked maintenance at Deniliquin rice mill for a number of years, and we used normal chain  for everything, then trained everyone on daily maintenance checks...they lasted forever. ( was a maintenance fitter in that capacity). 

There is an appreciable difference between them, and if i had of known how dodgy this chain would have been, then perhaps i would have sold a kidney or something earlier... ;D

all ended well though..

peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10529 on: May 30, 2012, 04:25:30 am »
Ha ha, considering the injuries you're carrying Ben, I'm surprised that you've got a functioning kidney? How's the foot business? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #10530 on: May 30, 2012, 05:08:55 am »
I took my STs rims to the shop to have the tires changed.... what tire changing devices are you all do it yourselfers using.. im thinking of getting something to do it yourself myself :o ;D
I have a Harbor Freight tire changer and a wheel balancing/truing stand. I think I have about $150.00 invested between the two. A set of long tire spoons also. I put some anchors in the driveway outside of my garage and set it up when needed, so it's not in the way all the time. With four of my own bikes and a couple of friends, it's been used many times and paid for itself at least twice.
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #10531 on: May 30, 2012, 06:20:14 am »
The hole in the tank was 0.4 mm at max. Soldered it up and sanded off most of the paint.

This morning I adjusted the chain - and took jeep to work :(

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #10532 on: May 30, 2012, 07:24:12 am »
(Actually yesterday)

-Played hooky from work
-Took the carbs off
-Inspected float height
-re-cleaned needle/needle seats
-put the bowls on properly ... so the drains face out lol
-changed from 3rd to 4th needle clip position
-carb sync
-test run
-celebrate
-fuel and wash
-more celebrating

It was a good day.

IW

Offline le_sterls

• Comic book
  • Enthusiast
  • Well than...
« Reply #10533 on: May 30, 2012, 07:36:46 am »
I think I broke something on my way to work...  :( Burning oil like it's going out of style, was hoping that I'd get away with not having to tear out my engine in prime riding season, but we're never that lucky right?  ::) I'll spare you the post next week of "Tearing out my engine, as well as my hair." Have a good one fellas!
That's what I'd like to hear.
'77 CB550k - running... For now...

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Close but no cigar JUST YET!!
« Reply #10534 on: May 30, 2012, 05:52:01 pm »
Made my weekly Honda shop run today. Still weekly but VERY few things each week. That must mean I'm getting close  ;) Still gotta shake out my throttle cables and make them work with the CR carbs. Gotta put oil in her and bleed her brakes. Take off the blue protective covers on the mirrors. Install the idle screw extension when I get them. Oil pressure gauge is delayed to an upgrade by Joker. Gas, or yeah, I'll need some gas soon too! Guess I'll stop by the small airport by where I'll be working and grab some AvGas Saturday.

After playing today it actually looks like a bike again  ;D

I was feeling the Orange a while back

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:58:05 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #10535 on: May 30, 2012, 05:55:13 pm »
When I got my 750 KO in May of 2011 it still had the original HM300 pipes that were still in fair to good condition, but had several small rust through holes in places. I wanted to run these originals as long as I could so I did some batch up repair with JBW. Not until today did one of those blow out. So I batched it up again with the JB and hope it will hold up another year ;D
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #10536 on: May 30, 2012, 06:18:11 pm »
Jerry: Gotta love that Kerker!
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #10537 on: May 30, 2012, 09:01:51 pm »
lol terry, between my broken low spine, pelvis, smashed foot, collar bones, and both wrists, my kidneys are perfect=)

good memory btw...lol

peace

that BLUE F is awesome, excellent

peace
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline Shane72

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10538 on: May 30, 2012, 09:46:14 pm »
Tried my hand at polishing aluminum--on the FJR's new fuel cell.  The CB750 sat and watched in envy today...

Shane
I mount and balance MC tires--while-you-wait service by appointment.  Send me a PM.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10539 on: May 30, 2012, 09:57:21 pm »
Thanks Ben. This will be the closest any of us will be to seeing a NOS 75 CB750F. I'm planning on counting the actual quantity of parts to make the bike and compare that to all the new parts I've used. It WILL be over 90% guaranteed. Hell, it may even look better in it's orange skin. I need to get the NOS orange tank and tail piece plus the NOS blue tank clear coated before seriously installing them. It'll just depend on if I'm feeling the orange or the blue that day   8) Glad you're finally finished with your professional program. Good luck on your future! You've been too preoccupied the last 3 years or so  ;) Just glad your F has not been too neglected.

I'm looking forward to hearing what that new competition baffle sounds like Don. Especially with all the new expensive guts that are in front of it  :)  Wouldn't it be great if we could fire them the same day?! I know you're close too!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:00:28 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #10540 on: May 30, 2012, 10:05:04 pm »
Lookin' good Jerry. You know I'm a K kinda guy but I dig the hell outa what you put into your bike ........its gonna be so cool when you fire it up.....(well you already knew that!)....
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #10541 on: May 30, 2012, 10:18:32 pm »
Somehow, I'm not seeing that F going over a mountain pass in the snow!!! Looking good Jerry.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline metalhead0283

• Enthusiast
  • speed on brother hell aint half full
« Reply #10542 on: May 30, 2012, 11:35:09 pm »
i removed the rusted old chain and cut the passenger peg mounts off
77 xs650  81 xs650  76 cb550f  2010 triumph street triple

Offline cben750f0

• Master
Re: Close but no cigar JUST YET!!
« Reply #10543 on: May 31, 2012, 12:09:41 am »
Made my weekly Honda shop run today. Still weekly but VERY few things each week. That must mean I'm getting close  ;) Still gotta shake out my throttle cables and make them work with the CR carbs. Gotta put oil in her and bleed her brakes. Take off the blue protective covers on the mirrors. Install the idle screw extension when I get them. Oil pressure gauge is delayed to an upgrade by Joker. Gas, or yeah, I'll need some gas soon too! Guess I'll stop by the small airport by where I'll be working and grab some AvGas Saturday.

After playing today it actually looks like a bike again  ;D

I was feeling the Orange a while back

jerry where did you pick up your seat highlight ( that goes along the bottom) and the chrome strip for the back of the cowel?...

peace

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10544 on: May 31, 2012, 04:09:43 am »
Somehow, I'm not seeing that F going over a mountain pass in the snow!!! Looking good Jerry.

Was thinking the same thing! Guess that will be the Harley's job?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Blitzburgh207

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10545 on: May 31, 2012, 07:48:10 am »
(Last night) Got my brand new wiring harness in the mail along w/ a new regulator/rectifier and key switch and little LEDs for my dummy lights.  Got it mostly all wired up and nothing pops or melts when I turn the key on.....that's a good sign right!?  ;)
1978 CB750 K8

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #10546 on: May 31, 2012, 08:40:06 am »
last night i finally got my front brake working!  after heavy modification to some circlip pliers, i was able to get the clip out and clean it all -- the release valve hole was totally clogged.  after cleaning the blockage, my front brake works great!  STOPPING IS COOL.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10547 on: May 31, 2012, 03:23:01 pm »
Ben,

The chrome looking/color seat trim strip?? You'll notice the ones with the orange body work are black. Found them some years back. I also found 2 orange ones but they are for the same side. The blue ones need one color strip replaced due to damage by the helmet holder area.  Not new/nos. One of the few items I was not able to locate. We gotta get together and find someone that can print the correct colors on the 3M reflective stock! I'll work on that this next year  ;D

The cowl trim on the rear was obtained on a damaged orange cowl I found. Not as nice as I'd liked but they are unobtainium.

Both those pieces are rarer than hens teeth. Hell, I could probably find ME a good spouse before I could find them.   

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #10548 on: May 31, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »
Jerry, thanx for the reply M8, mine are the red ones, and have ocystrap damage from PO, and i have another rear cowl, dut it doesnt have the chrome strip, and i am a lil hesitant i trying to get the good one off the original cowl. yeah we should put a order into 3M, you recon they would do a few meters or each colour? lol

thanx again

peace

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #10549 on: May 31, 2012, 06:20:47 pm »
Planned on replacing them anyway but... I finally got around to check the resistance of the spark plug caps 1 & 4 ... 9.5k and 14.5k! 'Nuff said.... Yep... those and wires are definitely next. ...
 :-\ well it was running ok ...
... until the new battery died.  ::)
Hopefully that and cleaned connections will keep it alive...  ;D
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)