Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3148561 times)

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10550 on: May 31, 2012, 07:09:30 pm »
Got the 78f one step closer to completion. 

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #10551 on: May 31, 2012, 07:12:30 pm »
Cleaned the plus and turned the power on again for the spare tank electrolysis.

Offline stevenwr

« Reply #10552 on: May 31, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »
Filled the gas tank and went for a ride. On thursday's at the A&W is an old bike meet, turned out at 43 years old I was the youngest guy there with the oldest bike, everyone else was in retirement age with new bikes and no one was interested in my 78 CB550. They were just standing around admiring eachothers new bikes.This world is getting very strange!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:40:41 pm by stevenwr »

Offline Hablo

« Reply #10553 on: May 31, 2012, 11:22:23 pm »
Picked up my rear wheel after having a new tire installed.  Came home and put it back on my bike.
Removed the exhaust gaskets, that took a while using a dental pick and a flat head screwdriver. 
Ordered new exhaust gaskets and spark plug caps from the dealer yesterday that should be arriving
tomorrow. 
'73 CB350F

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10554 on: June 01, 2012, 12:11:02 am »
Jerry, thanx for the reply M8, mine are the red ones, and have ocystrap damage from PO, and i have another rear cowl, dut it doesnt have the chrome strip, and i am a lil hesitant i trying to get the good one off the original cowl. yeah we should put a order into 3M, you recon they would do a few meters or each colour? lol

thanx again

peace

Ben, go to your local automotive paint supply shop and take a look at their range of colored pin striping tape. I found some red tape that was the exact width of the tape in the stainless steel side trims on my F2, and close enough to the correct color.

Jerry, your F looks great mate, (especially with the black engine) and the blue looks much nicer on your bike than the orange, in my opinion. You haven't had much luck with women though, so stick with the bikes mate, I don't know if you can afford to give away another house? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #10555 on: June 01, 2012, 12:52:44 am »
Registered, and rode my first 750 :)

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #10556 on: June 01, 2012, 03:17:39 am »
Accidentally took my bike off this wall.

All because I didn't want to ride in traffic (behind me).

Offline Magilla

• Expert
  • My bike: 1976 CB750F
« Reply #10557 on: June 01, 2012, 03:49:54 am »
Filled the gas tank and went for a ride. On Thursday's at the A&W is an old bike meet, turned out at 43 years old I was the youngest guy there with the oldest bike, everyone else was in retirement age with new bikes and no one was interested in my 78 CB550. They were just standing around admiring eachothers new bikes.This world is getting very strange!

Anyone can have a new bike and it will always be in perfect condition.  Its something special when you have an old bike in really nice condition.  When I went from my old custom Harley to a brand new Harley I was bored out of my mind.  Sure the new bike was reliable and in perfect condition but what do you do with your down time?  I found that a big part of my love affair with motorcycles was the puttering with them.  I'm not talking about pulling motors and rebuilding them on the weekends.  I'm talking about minor fixes, adjustments and tweeking.  I use to put my bike on a lift and scrub the underside with a tooth brush twice a month.  It was by far the cleanest 25+ year old bike wherever it went.

I was so anal about it that one time we decided to camp when at Daytona and it had rained the night before.  So although my bike was under a tarp and had a cover on it, it was not immaculate.  Considering there was no running water at our site, i took my truck the the local store.  At the store I bought a truck load of spring water (gallon jugs).  For the rest of the week I bathed my bike in pure spring water.  Once again it was the cleanest bike around.  And yes I rode the sh!t out of it while there too.  I don't really drink so I am able to get up early while everyone else sleeps in.  So I clean my bike in the down time.

I LOVE OLD BIKES AND CARS!!
1972   Honda CB350
1972   Yamaha 500
1982   Yamaha 650
1988   Harley Sportster 883
1983   HD FXR Shovelhead
2003   HD Heritage Softail
2006   Victory Vegas Jackpot
1980   Honda CB650
1976   Honda CB750K
1982   Honda CB750
1964   Honda CA95
1982   Kawasaki 550
1974   Honda CL360
1975   Suzuki GT550
1981   Honda CB750
1981   Honda CB750
1970   Norton Commando
1972   Yamaha U7E
1970   BMW R50/5
1976   Honda CB750F

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10558 on: June 01, 2012, 04:17:01 am »
Filled the gas tank and went for a ride. On thursday's at the A&W is an old bike meet, turned out at 43 years old I was the youngest guy there with the oldest bike, everyone else was in retirement age with new bikes and no one was interested in my 78 CB550. They were just standing around admiring eachothers new bikes.This world is getting very strange!

So, are you disappointed that those old farts didn't come over and admire your bike mate, or that the old farts kind of ignored you? I think that there's a myth that pervades thru sites like this, that every bike built in the 1970's was a classic and deserves the "oohs" and "aahs" of anyone from that era.

I bought my first CB750 new in 1978, but (even though I know they're a capable bike) I'm not a fan of 550's, and I wouldn't cross the street to look at one. Your bike looks great and as long as you love it, who cares that no-one else was all that interested in it, you didn't buy it to impress other people, did you? Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Blitzburgh207

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10559 on: June 01, 2012, 06:14:24 am »

Like you jumped it, or crashed into it?  Looks like a pretty good jump to me!  ;D How was the landing?
1978 CB750 K8

Offline stevenwr

« Reply #10560 on: June 01, 2012, 09:57:41 am »

So, are you disappointed that those old farts didn't come over and admire your bike mate, or that the old farts kind of ignored you? I think that there's a myth that pervades thru sites like this, that every bike built in the 1970's was a classic and deserves the "oohs" and "aahs" of anyone from that era.

I bought my first CB750 new in 1978, but (even though I know they're a capable bike) I'm not a fan of 550's, and I wouldn't cross the street to look at one. Your bike looks great and as long as you love it, who cares that no-one else was all that interested in it, you didn't buy it to impress other people, did you? Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Ok another button pusher...here we go: No Terry I don't stand by my bike waiting to have my ego stroked. I don't go to bike meets hoping all the attention is around myself or my bike. I go to "old bike meets" to talk to other people with simular interests and hopefully learn something...hence the nature of this site. If you had a harley and went to a harley meet only to find everyone else arrived on jap speed bikes and no one would engage you in a conversation because you showed up on a harley, I think if you posted on a harley forum that you found it odd you'd be justified. As for your opinion on 550's I really could care less...I'm not that narrow minded I appreciate all motorcycles regardless of make or size. They all give us the same feeling.
I have  4 bikes one of them being a crotch rocket and I don't take it to old bike meets for obvious reasons. Did I mention "old bike meet" OLD BIKE MEET Terry get it.
Ok your turn...prove me right that your a #$%* disturber criticize me or better yet "relaxe mate I'm just having fun."

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #10561 on: June 01, 2012, 10:55:58 am »
I don't really drink so I am able to get up early while everyone else sleeps in. 

+1 on that!  i do go out once a week and put on a bender with my friends at the local pub (otherwise i would not see many of them), and the next day i always feel like a total lazy waste of space.   hangovers suck!

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10562 on: June 01, 2012, 11:00:14 am »
Put on some new rubber...
WOW
wasnt as big of a pain as ive heard other say, but a local shop told me 25 bucks if you just bring them the wheel...
seems like that might be the way to go next time...

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #10563 on: June 01, 2012, 11:47:04 am »

Like you jumped it, or crashed into it?  Looks like a pretty good jump to me!  ;D How was the landing?

I jumped it. Definitely not on purpose though. I didn't know there was a drop there until I was a few feet away. The landing would've been a whole lot better if there wasn't a small ditch and raised road. Somehow I managed to stay upright.

Offline grachman

« Reply #10564 on: June 01, 2012, 11:51:46 am »
Woohoo!!  All electrical is done.  I had trouble blowing the main fuse when the high beam went on, but when I hooked up a new aftermarket Yamaha RH switch it worked perfectly.  I was happy to see that the push button starter works too.  The fuel lines are in the mail, so once they are connected I will try to awake the bike from it's 30 year slumber.  Can't wait until next week.
Glenn
"wake me up when we're all nomads again."

1974 CB550

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10565 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:54 pm »

Ok another button pusher...here we go: No Terry I don't stand by my bike waiting to have my ego stroked. I don't go to bike meets hoping all the attention is around myself or my bike. I go to "old bike meets" to talk to other people with simular interests and hopefully learn something...hence the nature of this site. If you had a harley and went to a harley meet only to find everyone else arrived on jap speed bikes and no one would engage you in a conversation because you showed up on a harley, I think if you posted on a harley forum that you found it odd you'd be justified. As for your opinion on 550's I really could care less...I'm not that narrow minded I appreciate all motorcycles regardless of make or size. They all give us the same feeling.
I have  4 bikes one of them being a crotch rocket and I don't take it to old bike meets for obvious reasons. Did I mention "old bike meet" OLD BIKE MEET Terry get it.
Ok your turn...prove me right that your a #$%* disturber criticize me or better yet "relaxe mate I'm just having fun."

;D ;D  Got a bite there Terry.... 8)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

72500john

« Reply #10566 on: June 01, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »
took it for a spin after installing new idle jets..runs great! until a mile from home..1/4 coil pooped the bed. had a set of Dyna's in the box thank god. just looking for the time to install them. guess this is the time. all mounted and wired now..will get the plug wires Monday.

Offline JamesM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10567 on: June 01, 2012, 05:27:37 pm »
Took my '73 CB500 Four out on its maiden voyage. Rode 109 miles until my clutch cable snapped! (Where should I order a new one from? I don't want to buy a junk one and have it happen again)

Waited for an hour for progressive roadside assistance who finally called me back to say it would take two more hours for someone to be able to come pick the bike up. So I rode it home without a clutch, boy was that fun.

Leaking gas like a SIV out of my #3, and #4 floatbowls. PO said he just rebuilt the carbs but I just ordered four new rebuild kits because I think he was blowing smoke.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:30:37 pm by JamesM »
Current Stable:

1972 CB750
1973 Shovel
1978 CB750
1977 KZ750T
1996 Shadow VLX

jesus freek

« Reply #10568 on: June 01, 2012, 05:47:56 pm »
James I ordered my clutch cable thru my local Honda shop when mine went out the cl350. It seemed rather pricey though, I may have gotten a better deal on eBay or searching thru Motion Pro or even Dennis Kirk.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #10569 on: June 01, 2012, 05:52:52 pm »
Well done, James :)

72500john

« Reply #10570 on: June 01, 2012, 05:59:10 pm »
James. spend the few extra denero and get an oem cable. got throttle cables for my bike from motion pro.they work great but the ball ends seem smaller than stock.
bet riding home without a clutch sucked. had to do it once without a throttle cable.  just cranked up the idle and went on.

jesus freek

« Reply #10571 on: June 01, 2012, 05:59:19 pm »
James Dennis Kirk sells Motion Pro cables. The part number for your clutch cable is  C5515. The price is $ 13.95. Pretty darn cheap if ya ask me!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline JamesM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10572 on: June 01, 2012, 06:06:18 pm »
Yeah John, it was pretty sketchy. I had to launch out of neutral down a hill into first so it wouldn't stall then just limped it home in second gear, had to blow through a few stop signs... luckily traffic was scarce.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Think I'll go with a Motion Pro as long as no one has any horror stories about them? This bike is supposed to be my daily rider "cheap" bike. haha, like any project automobile or bike is ever cheap.

I'm liking it a lot though. Quite the change up from Harley and Triumph hardtail bobbers.
Current Stable:

1972 CB750
1973 Shovel
1978 CB750
1977 KZ750T
1996 Shadow VLX

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #10573 on: June 01, 2012, 06:25:27 pm »
Messed around a little with a new 71 CB500 I bought at a yard sale a couple weeks ago.Lady owned with 9,000 miles on it.Been sitting for a year or two as she got a nice new Sportster finally.Took off the crash bar and Bates bags  Got it to fire on all four but is running rough.Getting it ready for a major carb and tank clean and a tune-up. Had to read up a little as most of my Honda's are 750's.Probably sell it when I get it running well and cleaned up better,unless I fall in love with it.

72500john

« Reply #10574 on: June 01, 2012, 06:31:12 pm »
neat little bikes, i think you will find its a keeper. read up on the clutch though.