Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3148361 times)

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10775 on: June 14, 2012, 03:55:40 pm »
Stayed in the garage all day today working on the 550.  New plugs, changed the oil/filter, and tappet adjustment.  I also noticed yesterday on a long ride that the front brake was dragging a bit.  I've never had the caliper apart on this bike, so I disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and bled.....so much better now.  I didn't realize how much it was actually dragging.  This may account for the somewhat poor fuel econ...we'll see I suppose.

Also, I recently rebuilt my master cylinder due to it leaking around the piston.  Well, it's leaking again.  All the guts are new, yet it leaks between the body of the MC and the handle.  Could it be a crack in the casting or something?

I'm about ready to toss it and look for a modern MC.  Any recommendations of which one to get?
1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #10776 on: June 14, 2012, 07:35:45 pm »
Took the KO to work today. Ran 80 on the Interstate all the way home and I could tell the 750 liked it 8)
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #10777 on: June 14, 2012, 07:57:06 pm »
Tracked down a small oil leak hopefully, one of my oil pan bolts was missing. Hunted for my carb vent nipple on my 77's PD41a's, turns out it doesnt have one after all. Checked the valves for good measure while I had the tank off, pulled apart my spare set of PD's while I was out in the garage. Oh and rode the crap out of it to and from work today, so far my master link is staying put for a change. :)

There is a carb float bowl vent.
Sorry lucky, on the 77 Pd41a's there is no vent nipple. I posted pics of them in the earlier thread where we were discussing it. 78 pd's have them 77's do not.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107640.25
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:06:12 pm by 750K »
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #10778 on: June 14, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »
Wrestling with making the 550 emblems look good.
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10779 on: June 15, 2012, 04:49:26 am »
Stayed in the garage all day today working on the 550.  New plugs, changed the oil/filter, and tappet adjustment.  I also noticed yesterday on a long ride that the front brake was dragging a bit.  I've never had the caliper apart on this bike, so I disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and bled.....so much better now.  I didn't realize how much it was actually dragging.  This may account for the somewhat poor fuel econ...we'll see I suppose.

Also, I recently rebuilt my master cylinder due to it leaking around the piston.  Well, it's leaking again.  All the guts are new, yet it leaks between the body of the MC and the handle.  Could it be a crack in the casting or something?

I'm about ready to toss it and look for a modern MC.  Any recommendations of which one to get?

David Siver Spares sells a really nice aftermarket 550 MC mate, I bought one for a CB750K2 a couple of years ago, and it worked well. It's not an exact replica, but doesn't look out of place, and works just as good as the original. For 45 bucks, it's not much more money than a rebuild kit, an it doesn't leak! Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB550K1-1975-USA/part_123904/
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10780 on: June 15, 2012, 05:19:13 am »

David Siver Spares sells a really nice aftermarket 550 MC mate, I bought one for a CB750K2 a couple of years ago, and it worked well. It's not an exact replica, but doesn't look out of place, and works just as good as the original. For 45 bucks, it's not much more money than a rebuild kit, an it doesn't leak! Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB550K1-1975-USA/part_123904/

Thanks for the tip.  That's probably the way I'll go.  Good price.
1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10781 on: June 15, 2012, 05:25:53 am »
No worries mate, and if you're not worried about originality, a late model MC from a big Jap bike will actually be a big improvement, even with just the one disc.

I use a Suzuki 1200 Bandit MC on the front of my K1 (albeit with dual discs) and it pulls up real hard, and I had a GSXR1100 MC on it before that and it worked great too, but I didn't like the remote reservoir. They go for between 50 and 100 bucks on EBay, so aren't too expensive. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #10782 on: June 15, 2012, 05:29:14 am »
Bot a plate for "Phaedrus". First one in nearly 17 years. Insurance too.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

maduncle

« Reply #10783 on: June 15, 2012, 05:51:47 am »
Greggo - that looks like bike heaven!

And I will be walking in the door of that particular heaven in three weeks time when I visit San Franciso, already emailed Charly and got him sorting out a few parts for me.

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10784 on: June 15, 2012, 06:11:58 am »
Bot a plate for "Phaedrus". First one in nearly 17 years. Insurance too.

Must be getting really close now.  How exciting!   :D
1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #10785 on: June 15, 2012, 06:25:07 am »
Greggo - that looks like bike heaven!

And I will be walking in the door of that particular heaven in three weeks time when I visit San Franciso, already emailed Charly and got him sorting out a few parts for me.

Good stuff Cliff!  How long are you in the area for?

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #10786 on: June 15, 2012, 08:27:48 am »
... still wrestling with the emblems ...
jeez... this takes more time than the other supposedly major repairs!
:P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:13:19 pm by DJ_AX »
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline sir funk

• 75 CB400F
« Reply #10787 on: June 15, 2012, 09:19:15 am »
Shortly after midnight, in a daze from too much polishing,  I tried to adjust static timing with the kill switch set to off <facepalm>.  This morning I realized my mistake.  Got the points pretty accurately set and got the motor purring real nice now. 

Also reinstalled my carbs with freshly set float height and new OEM float valves. Seems to have cured my carbs terminal gas spewing problem.

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
« Reply #10788 on: June 15, 2012, 01:47:11 pm »
adjusted the primary as it was super loose. Its amazing how much more quite and smooth it runs ::)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10789 on: June 15, 2012, 02:55:00 pm »
Well, today was not a good day. I worked out a deal on a GL front end complete with wheel for 70 bucks. Guy contacted me after agreeing about 15 minutes later saying sorry I had over 50 calls for the bike. Front end is now gone... Nothing followed.

Started to bleed the brake as the new pads are rubbing my newly acquired lighted drilled rotor. Also raised the rear with old new shocks.  I like this look much better. Tomorrow she should be road ready. .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:51:44 pm by Tews19 »
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #10790 on: June 15, 2012, 06:17:57 pm »
Took the K3 out for a spin just to hear the 341's purr. I like the sound better baffle-less  ;)
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #10791 on: June 15, 2012, 06:30:16 pm »
Took both F's out for a spin today to compare the 915 to the 836.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10792 on: June 15, 2012, 06:32:24 pm »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand ?    ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10793 on: June 15, 2012, 08:28:31 pm »
Took her out around town for a ride. Died downtown. Started button didn't work and had that dead battery groan when pushed. Kick started and idled fine though. Rode home and battery voltage was 11.27- pretty dead. I was idling a lot in traffic, and I hadn't ridden her in a few days, so I'm wondering if it's just a discharged battery, a bad battery, or a problem with the charging system. Have to figure it out Monday as I work all weekend.

Otherwise a great ride :)
1977 CB550F

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #10794 on: June 15, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »
Took her out around town for a ride. Died downtown. Started button didn't work and had that dead battery groan when pushed. Kick started and idled fine though. Rode home and battery voltage was 11.27- pretty dead. I was idling a lot in traffic, and I hadn't ridden her in a few days, so I'm wondering if it's just a discharged battery, a bad battery, or a problem with the charging system. Have to figure it out Monday as I work all weekend.

Get the charging checked out or a new battery or the next may be a bad ride.You have to have up most confidence in your ride,especially if you may be out late at night doing naughty things,not that you would be.

Offline piute

• Piute
  • TRICK OR TREAT...B....es
« Reply #10795 on: June 15, 2012, 08:48:37 pm »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand ?    ;D ;)
aAAAAAAAAAAND ? ;D
Ride to live Live for Jesus
1977 750 F2

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10796 on: June 15, 2012, 08:49:27 pm »

Get the charging checked out or a new battery or the next may be a bad ride.You have to have up most confidence in your ride,especially if you may be out late at night doing naughty things,not that you would be.

Well...yeah  ::) Who wants to end up with a dead bike miles from home? :) Battery is charging as I type and will check everything else Monday.
1977 CB550F

Offline piute

• Piute
  • TRICK OR TREAT...B....es
« Reply #10797 on: June 15, 2012, 08:56:49 pm »

Did a quick fit for measurer's,On my Boards,Going to need to mod a shifter fo sho
  Think the brake lever will just get moved to board bracket mount with a custom brass bushing ?lever seems right length
Ride to live Live for Jesus
1977 750 F2

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #10798 on: June 15, 2012, 09:07:49 pm »

Well...yeah  ::) Who wants to end up with a dead bike miles from home? :) Battery is charging as I type and will check everything else Monday.
I am sure you are a better fella than me but you don't need a friendly Policeman helping you out late at night either,if you know what I mean-----  ;)  ;)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #10799 on: June 15, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »
Accolay,

Your problem could be any or all you mentioned. Our charging systems are not the most reliable. I recently took my "charged" battery to Advanced Auto to trade it in for a new AGM battery (REAL NICE!). It was old but it was on the Battery Tender and showed good voltage but wouldn't turn over the engine. Voltage would drop to 7.something when I turned the ignition on and the headlight came on. I asked if they could test it. I didn't think they could test such a low capacity battery but I was wrong. Something like 17 cca's! The AGM is rated at 220 cca. Take it for a load test at Advance if you have one close. If it's good then consider the charging system. If bad then get a new battery. Think my AGM was ~ $75 but it kicks ass. Other batteries can be had for ~ $40.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)