Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3145986 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #16300 on: December 30, 2013, 04:18:25 pm »
G'Day Al, as much as I like Chinese cuisine, I'm allergic to seafood, so if it aint beef, lamb or pork, it aint........ For the same reason, I can't eat Japanese food, but I'm sure that it's very nice.

Anyway, I don't want to live to a ripe old age, my Dad turns 87 next week but he's suffering badly from Parkinsons/Dementia, (unlike me, he's eaten "healthy" for most of his life, lots of fish and vegies, etc) so I want to be long gone before any of that happens to me, thanks very much. Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Ichiban 4

• "Ichi"
  • Hot Shot
  • A "Boomer" still going strong.
« Reply #16301 on: December 30, 2013, 05:31:45 pm »
G'Day Al, as much as I like Chinese cuisine, I'm allergic to seafood, so if it ain't beef, lamb or pork, it ain't........ For the same reason, I can't eat Japanese food, but I'm sure that it's very nice.

Anyway, I don't want to live to a ripe old age, my Dad turns 87 next week but he's suffering badly from Parkinsons/Dementia, (unlike me, he's eaten "healthy" for most of his life, lots of fish and veggies, etc) so I want to be long gone before any of that happens to me, thanks very much. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Hi Terry..Hear what you're saying.  Wasn't meaning to say you should give up that stuff..just that I myself can't eat very much anymore..or cholesterol levels..et. al go sky-high.  And I get tired of hearing Docs..wife..et al..gripe about it..so..  Bigger concern for me though..is I don't want to become burden or incapacitated for wife's sake (she's almost 15 years younger then me).  I'm with you tho..on wanting to just go-out W/O a lot of fuss..certainly not with Alzheimer's similar type stuff.  But..seems like we can't always choose how things like that happen.  Just trying to reduce the odds w/myself.  Enjoy bro!

Cheers..Al
Al Summers

Present: '77 550K
Past: '73 CB450(twin), '72 CB175, '68 CB350, '58 Ariel Square 4 (1000cc), '58 Matchless Typhoon (650cc single), Whizzer Motorbikes '48 -'55 (Pacemaker & Sportsman)..Vespa, Lambretta scooters..etc.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #16302 on: December 30, 2013, 10:54:02 pm »
G'Day Al, as much as I like Chinese cuisine, I'm allergic to seafood, so if it aint beef, lamb or pork, it aint........ For the same reason, I can't eat Japanese food, but I'm sure that it's very nice.

Anyway, I don't want to live to a ripe old age, my Dad turns 87 next week but he's suffering badly from Parkinsons/Dementia, (unlike me, he's eaten "healthy" for most of his life, lots of fish and vegies, etc) so I want to be long gone before any of that happens to me, thanks very much. Cheers, Terry. ;D
Yeah I was only half serious with my comment. It looks delicious, just not for me, now. WE just can't know how life will end for us. I've eaten healthier all my life  and just had a heart stent put in last summer.

Some statistics  say half of us will get an Alzheimer type dementia at the end.

My MIL just passed, 92, and my wife and I agree what good is the last 5-10 years if the quality of life sucks so bad.

So have a brat for me!   :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:55:47 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16303 on: December 30, 2013, 11:24:18 pm »
No worries guys, I was very fit once upon a time but now I'm just very fat, and I piss my doctor off because my blood pressure is good, my chloresterol is lower than his, and I don't have any signs of Diabetes either.

I really do need to lose some weight, but as long as I keep riding big fat bikes, I'll be OK! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #16304 on: December 30, 2013, 11:50:24 pm »
Damn Terry,

Now you got me hungry, that's a meal I'd happily sit down for!
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #16305 on: December 31, 2013, 03:00:09 am »
What I did whilst riding my bike back to Melbourne from Adelaide last weekend?

I stopped in at 'Mac Park' race track in Mt. Gambier South Australia to watch some historic racing.

And this thing blitzed its class.

Talking to the owner/rider/builder after his last race and the bike is in fact a 1160cc machine (didn't know you could take a 750 that far). It literally 'whispers' along - no farty blatty exhaust note - sounds more like a very well tuned sewing machine.

And it is FAST!

Happy New Year all.
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16306 on: December 31, 2013, 03:17:10 am »
G'Day Cliff, well unless you were talking to Rex Wolfendon himself (the owner of TRex Racing) you weren't talking to the builder.

Rex doesn't race a CB750 based Post Classic Racer anymore to my knowledge, but he's built lots of those bikes and they are very fast with 130(+) Rear Wheel Horsepower.

If you want to meet Rex, or get him to build you an engine, he's over in West Heidelberg, but you better take lots of money........... ;D

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #16307 on: December 31, 2013, 04:32:05 am »

Hi Terry, yeah I have met Rex once or twice when I have stuck my head in at his workshop.

As far as I know, he did all the design and engineering on this engine, but did not actually build it. When I asked 'did Rex build the engine' I got told 'well - he came up with the idea...'

Unsure for sure - so I will investigate further...

CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline Vicman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16308 on: December 31, 2013, 11:56:02 am »
Been working on my Kz lately. Should just about finish up the current work tonight. Pesky valve cover plugs leaking.
Fluent in three languages, English, sarcasm, and profanity.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #16309 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:03 pm »
Been working on my Kz lately. Should just about finish up the current work tonight. Pesky valve cover plugs leaking.

What KZ?  Pics??
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Vicman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16310 on: December 31, 2013, 12:26:13 pm »
Nothing super special...82 Csr.
Pretty much my primary rider. It still needs a new stator and it will be back to prime running condition.
Pretty good bike overall but not one to ride an iron butt on. :o
Fluent in three languages, English, sarcasm, and profanity.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16311 on: December 31, 2013, 03:45:30 pm »

Hi Terry, yeah I have met Rex once or twice when I have stuck my head in at his workshop.

As far as I know, he did all the design and engineering on this engine, but did not actually build it. When I asked 'did Rex build the engine' I got told 'well - he came up with the idea...'

Unsure for sure - so I will investigate further...

Ha ha, yeah, it's not as if anyone's ever taken credit for someone else's work Cliff, you just need to look at some of those bikes featured in magazines where the owners claim to have "built" their bikes, when in actuality all theyve done is farmed it around to various shops and paid professionals to do the work for them.

When Rex was building those bikes I used to drop in to his shop fairly regularly buying parts for my bikes and he showed me all the mods that he was doing, and that's a signature TRex bike, so as reasonable as it is to assume the current owner may have done some work on it, I think he might have been taking a few "Liberties" with the truth. I should email this to Rex and see what he thinks? ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #16312 on: January 01, 2014, 01:17:28 pm »
Did my annual New Years Day ride today on the Z1. Beautiful day here, did a "slow" 30 miles........not over 90 mph!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16313 on: January 01, 2014, 02:19:27 pm »
That looks fantastic Steve, (apart from the paint, which displeases me so.........) the weather here was funny yesterday, warm and wet, so I didn't go for a ride, but continued to work on my Yamaha FJ1200. I bled the brakes and the clutch, and recovered the seat, which is a frustrating job, and I'm not 100% happy with it, but bugger it, it'll do for the time being.

Today after I do some banking I'm gonna change the oil and filter and install some new doo-dads that I bought for it awhile ago, in preparation for it's "Roadworthy Inspection",in another week or two, (waiting for a new fairing screen to turn up) then off to the Vicroads (DMV) to get my Club Permit so I can ride it legally, at long last! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #16314 on: January 01, 2014, 02:22:12 pm »
Did my annual New Years Day ride today on the Z1. Beautiful day here, did a "slow" 30 miles........not over 90 mph!

Lucky you , I am jealous.  I got to 'ride' my snow blower for the second day in a row and more on the way.   >:(        :'(

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16315 on: January 01, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »
What's a "Snow Blower" Eric? ;D

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #16316 on: January 01, 2014, 02:48:32 pm »

That's when your lady...Oh, wait..wrong thread ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #16317 on: January 01, 2014, 03:18:04 pm »

It's a snow machine with a "blower" on it, right?!

Don't worry Terry, the Z1 will have new paint soon....I promise!

Markcb750

« Reply #16318 on: January 01, 2014, 03:28:57 pm »
Today I cleaned & waxed the 750K6 & the 900F, put them under covers its going to be cold here for a few weeks.

Then I set up the 67 450 frame to begin setting up the triple clamps and front end from a CBR250. 

Offline jonda500

• I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!
  • Master
  • With our thoughts we make the world (Monkey Magic)
« Reply #16319 on: January 01, 2014, 03:47:24 pm »
Took it for a 20+ mile ride to town and back with little bits of tape on the throttle to help me guage throttle positions on the way. From about 1/3 to 2/3 throttle it's running great, but above or below that not perfect - I think I'll try swapping the #38 pilots for #35's and see how that goes...
Remember that an ignoramus is only someone who doesn't know something you just learned yesterday!

A starter clutch thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,122084.0.html
1972 CB500K1 original 4 owner bike
1972 CB500K1 returned to complete/original condition
1975 CB550F built from parts - project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,149161.msg1711626.html#msg1711626
197? CB500/550 constructing from left over parts
1998 KTM 380 (two stroke) recent impulse buy, mmmm...

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16320 on: January 02, 2014, 04:33:54 am »
Postman arrived with 3 parcels. I was disappointed to find out that the $40 US postage Cyclex charged only cost $16.74 US, give a few dollars for the box and you have $20 I could have spent elsewhere or at least $10 given the time it took to pack it.  Picture attached. People buying parts from the US to Australia get ripped off with postage, and if you decide to buy it in Australia you'll be paying a lot more anyway. An example is a cam from Cyclex or Dyno man, about $200-220, to buy from a shop over here $395. Rant over.

In the box however was my oil pressure gauge I have been waiting for. Pics attached also and I'll post numbers tomorrow with pressures in another thread.

1971 CB750 K1 - Sold
1978 CB750 F2 Supersport - Sold
1981 CB900 Bol d'or - Sold
2006 CBR1100 XX Super Blackbird - Sold

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #16321 on: January 02, 2014, 08:39:13 am »
...changed the rusted ignition plate and only two kicks later the K1 engine was running but it sounds strange  :o
Cylinder #1 stayed cold  :P Checked everything but no heat and no sound from Cylinder 1  ???
7 Minutes later I saw that one little screw ( sync.-connector) at the carb 1 was missing, put a new screw in and
everything was ok  ;D Engine was done by the PO  :o Fresh bore/hone and new pistons he said and that the engine
only run for 10 Minutes after the rebuild. Seems to be true :) Took an endoscope and saw new Pistons inside and today
I was going to change the oil but it came out golden ! Engine sounds real good, has good oil pressure and no noise from
the head, the bike is running real quiet but not the HM 300  ;)

Have a good one...Georg
Honda CB750 K0 & K0 & K1 & K1 & K2 & K2 & K6

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #16322 on: January 02, 2014, 11:24:33 am »
This really should be in the open forum, but posting here for the larger audience. Most of have put away our bikes for the winter, but there are plenty of lucky ones still riding around. Doesn't matter if you've been riding for 30 days or 30 years, never hurts to review safety. Have some downtime? review these

http://www.msf-usa.org/CourseReview/Questionframe.htm

you might be surprised.

After all, no one wants to end up on Dr. Alban's top ten, do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5BKFLwh2DI

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16323 on: January 02, 2014, 11:41:13 am »
Crap....I gotta stop kicking at dogs  ;D
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
« Reply #16324 on: January 02, 2014, 11:42:22 am »
This really should be in the open forum, but posting here for the larger audience. Most of have put away our bikes for the winter, but there are plenty of lucky ones still riding around. Doesn't matter if you've been riding for 30 days or 30 years, never hurts to review safety. Have some downtime? review these

http://www.msf-usa.org/CourseReview/Questionframe.htm

you might be surprised.

After all, no one wants to end up on Dr. Alban's top ten, do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5BKFLwh2DI

I missed 11 questions. . .I should take a class.