Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3158199 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #16750 on: February 19, 2014, 06:40:13 pm »

Took my effing bike out for a ride to work, first time ever got stranded and had to get towed. 

All of a sudden, no lights :(

Effin F!  Thats why I sold mine.  Fuse??

The fuse looked too good to blame, but tested bad when I arrived at work.  That fuse cost me $50 in towing :(

C'mon Gold Dude, you ain't no rookie! Always always always carry spare fuses.  50 buck cheap lesson.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #16751 on: February 19, 2014, 09:46:16 pm »
I chased the 4th cyl head cover oil leak... Ugh.  Every time I fix one, the next weakest link in the system rears it's head.   Now it seems I have "super" copper washers (are they lying and they are really all full of zinc?) because the proper torque doesn't seem to be enough to squash em I to submission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.

Offline grepper

• Busted Knuckles
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #16752 on: February 20, 2014, 09:11:52 am »

Took my effing bike out for a ride to work, first time ever got stranded and had to get towed. 

The fuse looked too good to blame, but tested bad when I arrived at work.  That fuse cost me $50 in towing :(

C'mon Gold Dude, you ain't no rookie! Always always always carry spare fuses.  50 buck cheap lesson.

When my wife and I were first dating, we were out for a ride and I blew a fuse.  I looked in the ditch and saw an old pack of smokes, ripped the foil out, jumped the fuse and wa-la!  She thought I was some sort of MacGyver God!

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=rbd1m7do25vakn2us6bf4mgj31&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #16753 on: February 20, 2014, 10:03:50 am »
there is a spare fuse in the rack!!!!!..the last 1/ 2 fuses are spare ones....
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• Expert
« Reply #16754 on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:44 pm »
Did some TLC to my spare carbs.

Here is one of them.
Doc, I love a motorcycle!

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16755 on: February 20, 2014, 02:02:07 pm »

When my wife and I were first dating, we were out for a ride and I blew a fuse.  I looked in the ditch and saw an old pack of smokes, ripped the foil out, jumped the fuse and wa-la!  She thought I was some sort of MacGyver God!
8) Much cooler than using that spare fuse in the block  ;D
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16756 on: February 20, 2014, 02:41:03 pm »
...new MAC pipe for the 550...just another cheapo MAC, but chrome is a big improvement imo.
started with this

don't forget new gaskets

cleaned up the collars and split collars in a hurry

done

If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #16757 on: February 20, 2014, 05:01:01 pm »
Rode my bike all over town today running errands... My wife took my car to work today so I could change the oil in hers. She also took the keys to her car that were in her purse!!! 7 quarts of oil and a filter fits in a backpack but didn't make for a comfortable ride haha.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #16758 on: February 20, 2014, 05:30:05 pm »
Man.....ya don't have to make excuses to go ride!!!! You would be surprised what you can fit in a back pack on back of the bike ;D
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #16759 on: February 20, 2014, 06:54:38 pm »
Picked up a 520 chain and riviting tool, going to look at a parts bike tonight as well. Looks to have Lester's and a couple other goodies already bolted on it.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
« Reply #16760 on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:01 pm »
I painted a battery box, and received a set of carb kits from Ranakk. For a CB750f
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
« Reply #16761 on: February 20, 2014, 08:18:33 pm »
And bought a lift.
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #16762 on: February 20, 2014, 08:38:31 pm »
HEY! Gold arrow needed a lift! Where were you then huh?

Ha. Had to

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #16763 on: February 20, 2014, 08:43:15 pm »

HEY! Gold arrow needed a lift! Where were you then huh?

Ha. Had to

Lol.  ^ nice looking lift though. Hahaha
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #16764 on: February 21, 2014, 02:29:44 am »
Took mine out yesterday.  Temperature above 40 and roads ice free.  Did 80 miles in complete comfort with the Windjammer and lowers.  Got home and pulled the lowers off to re-do how they were mounted.  Found oil all over the top of the top fins on the right side of the engine.  Valve cover gasket failure maybe??  Will be checking that out when it warms up again.  Snowing outside again!  Riding season is short enough up here so I ride whenever roads are ice free!! 

Most likely your cam cover gasket mate, but check your tach drive port too, that's common. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16765 on: February 21, 2014, 02:35:08 am »

Effin F!  Thats why I sold mine.

I thought you said you sold your effing F because it was the ugliest bike ever built and just parking it in your garage was lowering your land value? ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #16766 on: February 21, 2014, 05:45:16 am »

Effin F!  Thats why I sold mine.

I thought you said you sold your effing F because it was the ugliest bike ever built and just parking it in your garage was lowering your land value? ;D

No, that was me, Terry!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline rappz7

• Enthusiast
  • Bikes dont leak oil, they mark their territory
« Reply #16767 on: February 21, 2014, 06:45:58 pm »
Finally got my new spoked rim today so I swaped out the front tire. New brakes new speedo cable. Put on some new 3 inch LED blinkers and got rid of the huge stock clunky ones, and finished a "custom" back fender Ive been working on. I also fabbed a bracket for the new brake light/license plate holder I got. Busy busy busy

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16768 on: February 22, 2014, 03:26:49 am »
This will probably upset some of the members here, so I apologise in advance, but Cafe Racers suck! Well, the riding position does suck when you're a fat broken almost 54 year old anyways. After riding mine for shorter and shorter distances in recent years, I decided to swap sleek and sheik, for comfy and practical.

I wanted to swap the front end over to a GL1000 setup anyway, so while I was at it, I took the opportunity to swap the Laverda Jota bars for a pair of Superbike bars, and ditched the Cafe seat for a nice new K0 repro that's actually comfortable.

The forks already had nice progressive springs fitted, so I just added a NOS S&W air kit with remote gauge, and of course, new seals. Surprisingly, after 2 weeks since I installed them, they're still holding air!

I couldn't use my K2 gauges (no "Rhino Horn" on the Goldwing top triple) so I used some K4 gauges, but of course they're not a bolt on, so I chopped up the K4 bracket and the GL1000 bracket and welded them together, and am happy with the result.

And similarly, I mated my K6 (?) fender to the GL1000 fender bracket and riveted them together. There's a little more clearance than I'd like as the GL1000 bracket is a tad taller, but it'll do to get the bike thru the roadworthy inspection.

I've still gotta get some spokes to lace the matching Borrani rear rim to another hub, but the guys at Buchanan's aren't being all that helpful, I sent them an email asking what heavy duty stainless spoke kit I needed to lace my Borrani WM5 18" rim to a K1-K6 rear hub, and they came back to say that it depended what the inside diameter of my rim is? I thought that they'd know all that stuff? Oh well, I guess I'll have to do their job for them.......... Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• Expert
« Reply #16769 on: February 22, 2014, 03:52:05 am »
Thats a coll looking bike. Like that fork and rims.
Doc, I love a motorcycle!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16770 on: February 22, 2014, 04:12:52 am »
Thanks mate, it's been a "work in progress" for many years, but I like changing it's look every now and then. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #16771 on: February 22, 2014, 07:10:13 am »
Thats a coll looking bike. Like that fork and rims.
Yes, very nice!
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16772 on: February 22, 2014, 07:31:34 am »
This will probably upset some of the members here, so I apologise in advance, but Cafe Racers suck! Well, the riding position does suck when you're a fat broken almost 54 year old anyways. After riding mine for shorter and shorter distances in recent years, I decided to swap sleek and sheik, for comfy and practical.

I wanted to swap the front end over to a GL1000 setup anyway, so while I was at it, I took the opportunity to swap the Laverda Jota bars for a pair of Superbike bars, and ditched the Cafe seat for a nice new K0 repro that's actually comfortable.

......... Cheers, Terry. ;D
Pu$$y! ;D

Just kidding, Terry. 
Goldie v2.0 dresses up nicely like that. 8)
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #16773 on: February 22, 2014, 11:49:14 am »
I've still gotta get some spokes to lace the matching Borrani rear rim to another hub, but the guys at Buchanan's aren't being all that helpful, I sent them an email asking what heavy duty stainless spoke kit I needed to lace my Borrani WM5 18" rim to a K1-K6 rear hub, and they came back to say that it depended what the inside diameter of my rim is? I thought that they'd know all that stuff? Oh well, I guess I'll have to do their job for them.......... Cheers, Terry. ;D

That's because there is more than one style of rim profile.  The rear rim in the photo is a drop centre, the front is a regular shouldered rim.

1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #16774 on: February 22, 2014, 12:13:56 pm »
...taking off the aftermarket seat, pipes and side cover from the K0 and started to building it back to original.
Checked the black K0 switches that I bought used, both are working perfect  ;D
Found the missing K0 emblem for the side cover, now I was able to check the holes that I drilled a few days ago. Looking good to me now I can paint them.
Checked the pipe sets that I sprayed with wd40 last Year, no rust until yet.

Honda CB750 K0 & K0 & K1 & K1 & K2 & K2 & K6