Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3157153 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #17275 on: April 19, 2014, 02:18:29 am »
'Twas a bit cold and overcast today, but I braved the weather and took my big black 'Wang for a 100 mile ride. I was going to stop at the Broadford Bike Bonanza, but I felt more like riding than standing around in the cold watching other guys ride, so I kept going.

I stopped at the old Flowerdale Pub for a beer, then followed an old guy on a weird 3 wheeled "Cyclecar" for a few miles until I was almost overcome by the "Castrol R" fumes emanating from the ancient V Twin engine powering his old beast, so I whipped past him and continued on. All in all, a good day. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #17276 on: April 19, 2014, 06:33:50 am »
Terry,
How many miles do you log on the couchy '2 wheeled Land Barge' compared to your Beemer ? Do you run it mainly on limited access roads ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #17277 on: April 19, 2014, 11:12:31 am »
...bought some fork oil and some polishing stuff, put on the polished K0 brake caliper. Took a K0 Sandcast caliper and a K0 Diecast caliper and threw them into the ultrasonic cleaner, came out real good.
Honda CB750 K0 & K0 & K1 & K1 & K2 & K2 & K6

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17278 on: April 19, 2014, 02:31:34 pm »
Replaced the bent fork ears and installed the front turn signals, PO had removed them.
Thanks to fellow forum members for the great parts.

Since the bars were off, decided to change them to the "Tweakin Special" Renthols that he uses on his bikes!  Had them on the shelf, my Z1 came with em.
Also installed some Pro Grips and used the air nozzle method to install, fun and easy! And of course, clean clean cleaned...

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #17279 on: April 19, 2014, 02:56:05 pm »
What model are the Renthals? Always wanted some...
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #17280 on: April 19, 2014, 03:14:23 pm »
...cleaned them and put em back together.

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
« Reply #17281 on: April 19, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
Are those a stock caliper arm?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17282 on: April 19, 2014, 05:57:37 pm »
Terry,
How many miles do you log on the couchy '2 wheeled Land Barge' compared to your Beemer ? Do you run it mainly on limited access roads ?

G'Day Mate, I ride it most weekends, as it's over 25 years old I've got it on a "Red Plate" (Club Permit) which allows me to ride it for 45 days a year for 68 bucks (including insurance) or another 45 days for an additional 50 bucks. It's a great scheme, as I can have all of my over 25 year old bikes on the road for around half of what one year's full registration and insurance would cost here in Victoria.

I like to ride for a minimum of 100 miles each outing, which is not hard on the old "Land Barge", as it's obviously the comfy-est bike in my fleet, especially on cold winter days when the heat that's blown back from the engine keeps my legs warm, and the "Barn Door" fairing keeps my upper torso out of the weather. In fact, as long as I'm moving along it keeps me dry when it's raining, which is a plus.

I suppose that Freeways are it's forte, but our freeways are heavily policed so that's no fun, and it handles surprisingly well in the twisties. One problem I have though is the "Ride Off" stand that is mounted on the front frame downtubes, as it hits the ground (and scares the crap out of me) in tight corners, so I might take it off and install the engine bars that I bought for it to protect the heads if I ever drop it.

The BMW isn't legally on the road yet as it only turned 25 this month and even though the BMW Club red plate officer told me that VICROADS (our version of the DMV) weren't concerned about what month it was born, I found that the opposite was true when I went to get it's red plate a couple of weeks ago, so now I have to wait until next month, but that's OK, I'll get a red plate for my 1987 Yamaha FJ1200 while I'm there.

The BMW K100RS SE was BMW's "Sportsbike" of the day, so is a lot happier in the hills than the 'Wang, but is still a good long distance freeway bike too. The Yamaha is better again with 130 BHP, better handling and a comfy-er seat than the BMW, so I'm looking forwards to getting it on the road soon. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17283 on: April 19, 2014, 06:21:05 pm »
What model are the Renthals? Always wanted some...

Sorry, not sure since they came on one of my other bikes.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17284 on: April 19, 2014, 06:28:14 pm »
Terry,

G'Day Mate, I ride it most weekends, as it's over 25 years old I've got it on a "Red Plate" (Club Permit) which allows me to ride it for 45 days a year for 68 bucks (including insurance) or another 45 days for an additional 50 bucks. It's a great scheme, as I can have all of my over 25 year old bikes on the road for around half of what one year's full registration and insurance would cost here in Victoria.

I like to ride for a minimum of 100 miles each outing, which is not hard on the old "Land Barge", as it's obviously the comfy-est bike in my fleet, especially on cold winter days when the heat that's blown back from the engine keeps my legs warm, and the "Barn Door" fairing keeps my upper torso out of the weather. In fact, as long as I'm moving along it keeps me dry when it's raining, which is a plus.

I suppose that Freeways are it's forte, but our freeways are heavily policed so that's no fun, and it handles surprisingly well in the twisties. One problem I have though is the "Ride Off" stand that is mounted on the front frame downtubes, as it hits the ground (and scares the crap out of me) in tight corners, so I might take it off and install the engine bars that I bought for it to protect the heads if I ever drop it.

The BMW isn't legally on the road yet as it only turned 25 this month and even though the BMW Club red plate officer told me that VICROADS (our version of the DMV) weren't concerned about what month it was born, I found that the opposite was true when I went to get it's red plate a couple of weeks ago, so now I have to wait until next month, but that's OK, I'll get a red plate for my 1987 Yamaha FJ1200 while I'm there.

The BMW K100RS SE was BMW's "Sportsbike" of the day, so is a lot happier in the hills than the 'Wang, but is still a good long distance freeway bike too. The Yamaha is better again with 130 BHP, better handling and a comfy-er seat than the BMW, so I'm looking forwards to getting it on the road soon. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Terry,
That seems like a very fair way of registering your cycles(all of'em  8) ) I guess you're looking forward to long rides on that Yam. FJ

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17285 on: April 19, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »

Terry,

Wow, I wish they had a registration method like that here in the states. I'd have a lot more bikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1972 CB750 K2
1997 XR600r (street legal)
1975 XL250
198 XR80

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17286 on: April 19, 2014, 08:31:42 pm »
Thanks Guys, and yep, another few weeks and I should have both bikes on the road legally, which will be a lot of fun. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Jonathan403

« Reply #17287 on: April 20, 2014, 09:03:28 am »

Installed new tires. It's nice to have rounded tires rather than squared...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #17288 on: April 20, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »
...did the brake lines, single cut front fender, upper tripple tree, gauges and after that I did the electric. Everything is working BUT the starter-button and the horn-button has no function, think the PO did something wrong with the solenoid switch wires, will see tomorrow.

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17289 on: April 20, 2014, 04:06:13 pm »
My effing F

But the second son wants it blue, so converting it to blue-yellow tail

Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline Thamuz

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17290 on: April 20, 2014, 05:03:52 pm »
Got it running after 6k maintenance.  Waiting for a new tach cable, front brake bits, and oil filter.  Oh, and working on a stubborn seat cover.  I will have it back on the road soon.....I hope.
1979 Yami Chopper XS1100s
1978 CB750k
1977 CB550F
1974 CB550k
Parts bike for the 550's

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17291 on: April 20, 2014, 05:12:25 pm »
My effing F

But the second son wants it blue, so converting it to blue-yellow tail

I've always liked that blue.

Offline Sdsbassist

• Expert
  • Gus, Austin, MN.
« Reply #17292 on: April 20, 2014, 08:00:56 pm »
Got most things buttoned up. Hooked up rest of electrical, welded together brake light/plate holder and found a way to make my custom seat work. Spacers and neodynium magnets can do wonders!

New airbox should be here this week...then I can double check my accel pump and change oil. For now shes coming to work with me starting tomorrow!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:04:17 pm by Sdsbassist »
Gus, Austin, MN.
Current Bike:  75 750F

Past bikes: 76 750K - "Iowa Blue",78 750K Craigslist find - "Black Beth;" 77 CB750K Basketcase, with a 75K engine; 1970 Cb750 K1, "Rosa Luxembourg"
74 cb750, 75 cb550, 77 kawa 650, 81 virago 750, 83 virago 920, 80 Honda Twinstar 200, 71 Honda CT70, 1971 Honda CB750 Rat Project "Black Dahlia Bitsa"

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17293 on: April 20, 2014, 09:00:45 pm »
How cold is it up there Sdsbassist ? I'm hoping it warms up for you on that morning commute.

Offline Sdsbassist

• Expert
  • Gus, Austin, MN.
« Reply #17294 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:33 pm »
tomorrow morning showers potential 50%, high of 68. Rest od the week is 50s and rainy. So tomorrow might be the only day.

This winter has been brutal. I can't week for that first week I get to ride every day.
Gus, Austin, MN.
Current Bike:  75 750F

Past bikes: 76 750K - "Iowa Blue",78 750K Craigslist find - "Black Beth;" 77 CB750K Basketcase, with a 75K engine; 1970 Cb750 K1, "Rosa Luxembourg"
74 cb750, 75 cb550, 77 kawa 650, 81 virago 750, 83 virago 920, 80 Honda Twinstar 200, 71 Honda CT70, 1971 Honda CB750 Rat Project "Black Dahlia Bitsa"

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #17295 on: April 20, 2014, 09:51:31 pm »
Gave zinc plating a  shot, because all the cool kids are doing it. Not perfect, but better than the rusty crap these were initially. First pic, getting rid of white rust and wire wheel cleaning to bare steel, second pic after zinc plating and polishing with steel wool. Pic 3, finished set of bolts for crank cases. Look better in person, I wish I had Tige's photography skills and equipment.

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #17296 on: April 21, 2014, 02:12:31 am »

...left and right side.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17297 on: April 21, 2014, 02:28:40 am »
Not as much as I would have liked. I removed the rusty old bolts from the Gordon frame kit I had installed in the K2 frame I just had powdercoated and replaced them with nice new stainless items.

I also stripped, cleaned and painted the fork lowers, upper triple, caliper brackets etc, but ran out of epoxy enamel paint before I could do the lower triple, so I just put all the painted parts in the oven and baked them at 70 deg C for a couple of hours.

I've got the battery box and engine mounts in a tub of phosphoric acid to remove the rust, and disassembled, stripped and painted an old pair of S&W "Street Stroker" rear shocks, then called it a day. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #17298 on: April 21, 2014, 02:41:10 am »
G'Day Terry,

...do You have some pictures of the rusted stuff before You put them into the phosphoric acid ?
And how much % has the phosphoric acid ?

Have to go and fix the electric at the K0 and do the first test ride with it.

Have a good one mate..:Georg

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
« Reply #17299 on: April 21, 2014, 03:45:55 am »

...left and right side.

I guess I never took a good look at mine.  They just look funny to me being off the bike I guess