Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3156916 times)

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #17450 on: May 02, 2014, 07:08:06 pm »
HM, thinking of using 73 750 carbs on one of the 550's. Did I read somewhere that you can use  stock 650 rubber connectors to attach those carbs to the 500/550 manifolds? Also , I was once warned that the carbs may not work because the slides in open position will interfere with the bottom of the tank, have you encountered this problem? I haven't tried it out yet because of the connector issue so I don't know for sure, but I'd like to know that it actually works before investing in connectors,so, does it work?
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17451 on: May 02, 2014, 07:24:41 pm »
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Hrvatski Medvjed

« Reply #17452 on: May 02, 2014, 07:27:01 pm »
RB, I used the stock 500 rubber with no issues. I used a heat gun to limber them up a bit which made it much easier to install. The cam breather tube is a tight fit on the throttle guide (guide installed last) and at full throttle, there was some interference with the tank. I wasn't going to dent/hammer my tank so I sat the back of the tank on top of the rubber mounting piece and used craft/hobby wire to strap it down. Short pods too. I haven't had it out on the road yet but, I'm excited for the potential gains...supposedly most beneficial above 4500 rpm (highway speeds).
"Two Possibilities Exist...Both are Equally Terrifying" - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #17453 on: May 03, 2014, 12:36:16 am »
'Twas a cold and miserable day today, so it really took a lot of effort to even get out of bed, let alone do any bike stuff, but after a nice hot breakfast of eggs and bacon on toast, I wandered out into a cold autumn morning.

I decided to shove the engine into the frame using the "Lay down Sally" method, and apart from pinching one finger, (my favourite nose picker, sadly) it was easy peasy, especially with the top rails removed, thanks to Gordon's frame kit. (Thanks Gordon!)

Before I did that though, I removed the cam cover and lubed the cam and rockers, then flipped the engine over and re-torqued the lower case bolts, primed and installed the oil pump, and replaced the sump pan, with shiny new stainless bolts.

It doesn't seem like much for 5 hours of freezing my arse off outside, but I'm happy with the result. Tomorrow I'll install the the swingarm with new bronze bushes, fit some tapered roller steering head bearings, and reassemble and install the rear shocks. I can't do much more before I get the new wheels and tyres back from the shop so I can roll it around, but it shouldn't be too long before it's on the road! Cheers, Terry. ;D 

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #17454 on: May 03, 2014, 01:21:12 am »
Is this your bike Terry or one you're doin' for someone else? I've been meaning to get in touch with you about your tank & stuff. I'll pm you on that. I'm going to start a cooler thread about finding a more common filter. The only one I've used is the Wix 51390 but I just bought a 1390 Napa gold. Damn thing fits an early 70's Honda Civic and some older misc. Ford tractors. Not a common critter to track down. I've tried looking for a sizing chart on the internet but haven't come up with any info. I recall in the past looking through old filter catalogs that had pictures and size specs of various oil filters so you could easily look up base gasket dimensions to find other filters that would work and more common.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline jhalldorson

« Reply #17455 on: May 03, 2014, 03:44:48 am »
Hi Sean! Lol i think it might look familiar. I realized it wasn't supposed to be silver after it was on there and decided I still kinda liked it. So it stayed:)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17456 on: May 03, 2014, 03:54:56 am »
Is this your bike Terry or one you're doin' for someone else? I've been meaning to get in touch with you about your tank & stuff. I'll pm you on that. I'm going to start a cooler thread about finding a more common filter. The only one I've used is the Wix 51390 but I just bought a 1390 Napa gold. Damn thing fits an early 70's Honda Civic and some older misc. Ford tractors. Not a common critter to track down. I've tried looking for a sizing chart on the internet but haven't come up with any info. I recall in the past looking through old filter catalogs that had pictures and size specs of various oil filters so you could easily look up base gasket dimensions to find other filters that would work and more common.

G'Day Fred, how are you mate? That's Mike's bike, I built his engine a few months ago then he dropped his frame and stuff around recently, and I'm slowly building him a Cafe Racer from scratch. I haven't forgotten about the tank and stuff, I'll get onto that shortly. I'll look out for your cooler thread. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Sparked

• Hot Shot
  • Cheaper then therapy
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #17457 on: May 03, 2014, 08:35:28 am »
Terry, I am sorry to hear about your cool autumn day. I hope this picture of what I woke up to the spring morning makes you feel better. It was +22C 2 days ago... And here I was planning on painting my seat pan outside today.
1972 CB350F
1982 CM450A
1961 Ford Falcon (time for four wheels)

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #17458 on: May 03, 2014, 12:04:57 pm »
...did blinker the K1 and gave her a Xenon head light. Took off the strange blinkers  the K0 and put a set "Schnaps-Gläser-Blinker" now I have to wait for the paint set  :P
Honda CB750 K0 & K0 & K1 & K1 & K2 & K2 & K6

Offline krusty

• Expert
  • There's no such thing as a garage that's too big
« Reply #17459 on: May 03, 2014, 02:21:38 pm »
Howling wind wind during the night, snow on the ranges, rain has cleared. It's about 8-9C outside (wind chill factor) and 13C inside. I've got my thermals on (OK you Canadians, call me a wimp) under my riding gear.  The FJ1200 is fueled and ready to go. The VJMC rides again. Whoopee, or should I say Brrrrrr.
Honda
1976 CB750F1
1978 CB750F2
1972 CB350F
1961 C100 Cub
1962 C100 Cub
1959 C76
1963 C92
1964 C95
Suzuki
1963 M15D 50cc
1961 250TA Colleda
1961 250TA Colleda x 2 primed ready for paint and assembly
Yamaha
1977 DT175E x 2
1978 DT125E
1979 DT125F
1976 DT250E
1978 DT250G
1984 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #17460 on: May 03, 2014, 04:03:52 pm »
Moved my ignition from handle bar clamp to what I think is correct location…
Cleaned up that area nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:33:22 pm by Davez134 »

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #17461 on: May 03, 2014, 04:08:22 pm »
The Man with the Golden Headers... coming soon to a theatre near you!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline riverfever

• Master
« Reply #17462 on: May 03, 2014, 04:13:20 pm »
Installed a new neutral safety switch and checked the charging system.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=127186.0

"You wouldn't think that out here...a man could simply run clear...out of country but oh my...oh my...nothing but the light." -Ben Nichols

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17463 on: May 03, 2014, 05:34:29 pm »
Found new owner for my orange 550. 

And off she went
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #17464 on: May 03, 2014, 05:52:03 pm »

G'Day Fred, how are you mate? That's Mike's bike, I built his engine a few months ago then he dropped his frame and stuff around recently, and I'm slowly building him a Cafe Racer from scratch. I haven't forgotten about the tank and stuff, I'll get onto that shortly. I'll look out for your cooler thread. Cheers, Terry. ;D

G'day Terry,

Were they your wheels I saw at Ace during the week? Very nice.

My bomber is going in there for a head check and some service work next week, seems like new valves might have been a good idea when I built it first time round!

But - I have the Hooker headers on the bomber now - big difference in sound and performance, much easier to run with these pipes on than the insane shorties I started with.

Once I have finished the Hansen road race CB450, I will be looking for a CB750K to build and ride.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:36:17 pm by maduncle »
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline Stilltime

• Hot Shot
  • Building my Dream
« Reply #17465 on: May 03, 2014, 06:27:39 pm »
Installed an NHK steering damper!
'78 CB550 - Orange Crush

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #17466 on: May 03, 2014, 09:31:56 pm »
The Man with the Golden Headers... coming soon to a theatre near you!

That stainless cleans up nice and looks brand new with some metal polish, but it matches my rims so nicely I just leave it!  ;D

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17467 on: May 03, 2014, 09:37:27 pm »
Found new owner for my orange 550. 

And off she went

A cutie with good taste!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17468 on: May 03, 2014, 10:38:27 pm »

G'day Terry,

Were they your wheels I saw at Ace during the week? Very nice.

My bomber is going in there for a head check and some service work next week, seems like new valves might have been a good idea when I built it first time round!

But - I have the Hooker headers on the bomber now - big difference in sound and performance, much easier to run with these pipes on than the insane shorties I started with.

Once I have finished the Hansen road race CB450, I will be looking for a CB750K to build and ride.

Cheers,

G'Day Cliff, yeah mate, Jeff's got the new wheels, I'm looking forward to putting them on. Your Bomber looks superb with those new pipes, well done! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #17469 on: May 03, 2014, 10:43:49 pm »
Began sanding down the valve train cover, took most of the day and seems like nothing got done  >:(

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17470 on: May 03, 2014, 11:10:22 pm »
Thanks Sparked, you did cheer me up when I saw that pic, as much as it was cold wet and crappy again today, it was nothing like what you've got there, and I got another 6 hours done out in the ol' bike hole.

A couple of weeks ago I was looking around for a pair of shocks for Mike's bike and found an old pair of S&W Street Strokers hanging up in my garage, so I pulled them apart, checked 'em and gave them a re-paint, so today I re-assembled them using my home made spring compressor.

The flash makes the yellow look too light, but they're actually just like the one on the sticker:

I had to make up a driver to remove the outer shell of the lower shock bushes, which were still in the swingarm after it was powdercoated.

It worked really well, and I was just able to wind the old shells out. I just used the vice with some "soft Jaws" to press the new bushes in.

That just left the new bronze swingarm bushes. I decided to use the threaded rod method, but machined up some drivers to makes sure they went in nice and straight:

Here's the whole assembly, ready to go:

They wound in nice and easy, with no "mushrooming" to worry about:

Here they are, looking good:

On the frame:

And that was the end of my work for today, next weekend I'll install the forks with new tapered roller steering head bearings, then I can install the wheels and it'll start looking like a bike! Cheers, Terry ;D

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #17471 on: May 04, 2014, 04:33:20 am »
Love your work Terry - your home made tool solutions are just brilliant.
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #17472 on: May 04, 2014, 05:54:31 am »
That's precisely how I install swingarm bushings and I too have never had a problem with the busing mushrooming because of it.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #17473 on: May 04, 2014, 06:26:45 am »
Love your work Terry - your home made tool solutions are just brilliant.

Careful or He might get a big head and start coming out with strong opinions.  ;D  ;D

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• Expert
« Reply #17474 on: May 04, 2014, 01:16:29 pm »
...take a look at the German part list K0-K2

OK, three different numbers.

Can you tell me the differences?

..Lens is always the same but the assy is different, thats all ;)

Thanks.

Can you tell me when the assy had been chromed like yours?
One of my old K0 I had in the 80th also had chrome assy. My actual has a black one.

Doc, I love a motorcycle!