Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3157103 times)

AJK

Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #17650 on: May 30, 2014, 05:08:40 am »
Thanks for that info Alex, I might give it a crack on my Ki's swinger, I haven't greased it in years! ;D
Best of luck Terry. My main fear was that i was going to break something in there and not be able to get it out, but just go easy with some quality tools & you should be ok. Its definitly not mild steel!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #17651 on: May 30, 2014, 05:11:24 am »
No worries mate, I've only got P&N taps, and they're good stuff. I've also got several pivot bolts if I do stuff it up............. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #17652 on: May 30, 2014, 05:32:43 am »
Made myself a tool roll out of an old pair of jeans.

Test fitting...

All sewn up...

Kit contents:
Plug wrench
Honda 10x12 Wrench
Honda 14x17 wrench
10" long adjustable wrench, for the odd sized/PO installed components, and rear axle nut (may change to 6" long)
Slip-joint pliers
Multi-head driver (large slot, small slot, phillips, 5mm hex)
Hex set (will likely only keep what I need... 3mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm)
Shock wrench
Feeler gauges
Spare cotter pins for axle nut.

As you can probably tell, it is quite bulky! With the changes I noted above I should be able to get it a bit smaller and fit under the seat. Right now it is at the back of the seat snugged in with the grab bar.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17653 on: May 30, 2014, 06:26:56 am »

Made myself a tool roll out of an old pair of jeans.

Test fitting...

All sewn up...

Kit contents:
Plug wrench
Honda 10x12 Wrench
Honda 14x17 wrench
10" long adjustable wrench, for the odd sized/PO installed components, and rear axle nut (may change to 6" long)
Slip-joint pliers
Multi-head driver (large slot, small slot, phillips, 5mm hex)
Hex set (will likely only keep what I need... 3mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm)
Shock wrench
Feeler gauges
Spare cotter pins for axle nut.

As you can probably tell, it is quite bulky! With the changes I noted above I should be able to get it a bit smaller and fit under the seat. Right now it is at the back of the seat snugged in with the grab bar.

Looks good! My (now) wife has been making these for my friends and I for a bit now out if spare waxed canvas. Only problem is we can't tell whose is whose. Need to get some patches or markings on them to tell the difference.
1972 CB750 K2
1997 XR600r (street legal)
1975 XL250
198 XR80

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #17654 on: May 30, 2014, 06:44:16 am »
I wish I had some waxed canvas to make this out of... I think I will waterproof with some carnauba wax I have kicking around. Rub it in, lightly go over with heat gun to encourage absorption. Maybe a leather buckle setup, too.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17655 on: May 30, 2014, 07:57:43 am »
I wish I had some waxed canvas to make this out of... I think I will waterproof with some carnauba wax I have kicking around. Rub it in, lightly go over with heat gun to encourage absorption. Maybe a leather buckle setup, too.

One of the very few benefits of living in New York City
1972 CB750 K2
1975 XL250
198 XR80

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #17656 on: May 30, 2014, 12:55:38 pm »
Was time to replace battery, so I installed an AGM sealed battery with pigtail for battery tender...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17657 on: May 30, 2014, 01:31:43 pm »

Was time to replace battery, so I installed an AGM sealed battery with pigtail for battery tender...

Do you just leave the pigtails in there all the time?
1972 CB750 K2
1975 XL250
198 XR80

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #17658 on: May 30, 2014, 01:32:26 pm »

Do you just leave the pigtails in there all the time?
[/quot

Yeah, leave them in place
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #17659 on: May 30, 2014, 01:51:51 pm »
Changed my CX-7 cam timing again. Now retarded 3 degrees. Too much advance before. Will hopefully run cooler.
Easy to adjust cam with frame kit.
Remove tank, frame kit, head cover, sprocket available. Degree wheel outside ignition base plate. Coils still in place.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline ironandtime

• Iron & Time
« Reply #17660 on: May 30, 2014, 09:04:40 pm »
Installed new custom seat, added new bar end mirrors, and clear coated bare metal tank.

1978 Honda CB550

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17661 on: May 30, 2014, 09:46:22 pm »
I woke up early (for a Saturday) and drove over to my favourite Motorcycle shop to borrow their "Trade Plate" so I could ride my Yamaha FJ1200 back to get a roadworthy certificate for it, so I can get my club "Red Plate" (historic registration) and legally ride it.

It passed the inspection, so certificate in hand, I rode over to Cliff's (Maduncle here) spacious new workshop to say G'Day, and check out the new digs. Cliff managed to build 2 bikes in a tiny garden shed so I'm looking forward to seeing what he'll be able to produce with thousands of square feet of floorspace!

Of course, if there's no pic it didn't happen, so here's proof that I actually did something today, that's Cliff doing his best Julie Andrews pose from "Sound of Music", or perhaps pointing out how much room he's got in his new 'shop! Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

AJK

« Reply #17662 on: May 30, 2014, 10:15:36 pm »
I woke up early (for a Saturday) and drove over to my favourite Motorcycle shop to borrow their "Trade Plate" so I could ride my Yamaha FJ1200 back to get a roadworthy certificate for it, so I can get my club "Red Plate" (historic registration) and legally ride it.

It passed the inspection, so certificate in hand, I rode over to Cliff's (Maduncle here) spacious new workshop to say G'Day, and check out the new digs. Cliff managed to build 2 bikes in a tiny garden shed so I'm looking forward to seeing what he'll be able to produce with thousands of square feet of floorspace!

Of course, if there's no pic it didn't happen, so here's proof that I actually did something today, that's Cliff doing his best Julie Andrews pose from "Sound of Music", or perhaps pointing out how much room he's got in his new 'shop! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Hey mate, you look like a happy man. Its a great feeling when you get the rego passed, especially after putting time & money into the bike to make it happen. I did my resto from something that came out of a wrecking yard to something that came up half decent, then went for rego and the RTA gave me hassles about the receipt from the previous owner & kinda made me panic a bit. Anyhow, i managed to track him down after the 5 years of the initial purchase from him and got him to write out another one for me, which worked out alright in the end. He still had the same mobile number which was a relief. So getting the plate in your hand is another milestone.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #17663 on: May 30, 2014, 10:44:43 pm »
No worries mate, I've only got P&N taps, and they're good stuff. I've also got several pivot bolts if I do stuff it up............. ;D
Thought I would comment on this topic . I did my own swing arm bushings about 7 years ago (I believe before Hondaman was doing them). My old stuff was wasted so I bought all the stuff from the local dealership (probably paid way too much!). I also wanted to put in regular zerks but couldn't start a tap . I knew there and then that this sucker is some hard steel. So now I'm in Terry's boat......put the goofy stock push in ones back in ....greased the hell outa them and haven't touched them since! I think I will take another stab at it and get a decent drill & tap. While on the subject of drilling & tapping......I think I'm gonna start my oil cooler thread. I gotta bend Terry's ears about the cooler I bought from him way back around 05-06.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #17664 on: May 31, 2014, 01:23:05 am »

Haha - yep, me and my new space.

Well - that's about one fifth of it anyway.

And Terry - the broom stick trick worked a treat, cheers.
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17665 on: May 31, 2014, 01:34:36 am »

Hey mate, you look like a happy man. Its a great feeling when you get the rego passed, especially after putting time & money into the bike to make it happen. I did my resto from something that came out of a wrecking yard to something that came up half decent, then went for rego and the RTA gave me hassles about the receipt from the previous owner & kinda made me panic a bit. Anyhow, i managed to track him down after the 5 years of the initial purchase from him and got him to write out another one for me, which worked out alright in the end. He still had the same mobile number which was a relief. So getting the plate in your hand is another milestone.

Thanks Alec, but that's not me in the pic, that's Cliff, he's much more photogenic than "Moi"! The great thing about the red plate rego here in Victoria is that I don't need "proof of purchase" which is good, I bought my BMW K100RS SE from a jerk who was going to mail me a receipt, and I got sick of ringing him and asking for a receipt, but I've got his name and address and the eBay auction details if it turns out that I bought a hot bike. Cheers, Terry. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17666 on: May 31, 2014, 01:35:47 am »

Haha - yep, me and my new space.

Well - that's about one fifth of it anyway.

And Terry - the broom stick trick worked a treat, cheers.

No worries Cliff, constipation is a terrible thing to have! ;D

AJK

« Reply #17667 on: May 31, 2014, 03:46:20 am »

Thanks Alec, but that's not me in the pic, that's Cliff, he's much more photogenic than "Moi"! The great thing about the red plate rego here in Victoria is that I don't need "proof of purchase" which is good, I bought my BMW K100RS SE from a jerk who was going to mail me a receipt, and I got sick of ringing him and asking for a receipt, but I've got his name and address and the eBay auction details if it turns out that I bought a hot bike. Cheers, Terry. ;D
Hi Terry,
 I think you guys in Victoria must have it a bit easier than us in NSW. Here, without a written receipt you just get rejected at the RTA & told to go home. If everything is fine, the RTA will take the receipt and i'm pretty sure they scan it as well for records. Probably a good thing in one sense for vehicle tracablity. It needs all the details on there as well and they seem to be picky with it all being on there, so i always try and tell the seller to get everything on it so i get the path of least pain when i register something. I think you can do a statutory declaration as an alternative if you dont have a receipt. All fun and games.
 Tell Cliff he looks like a happy man.

Offline maduncle

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17668 on: May 31, 2014, 02:57:58 pm »

Might have to change 'maduncle' to 'gladuncle' - I am a happy man, thanks AJK.

Yep, our state rules do differ, here in Vic i believe our rego options are due for a shake up, I have heard we will soon need to get 'M' (for modified) plates instead of 'H' (for historic) plates under the club permit scheme if your bike is not dead stock.

So it will be interesting when I come to put a CB450 Hansen race bike on the road...

(And the broomstick trick was for holding the fork damper whilst I undid the fork lower bolt. Terry taught me a different trick for dealing with constipation).

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17669 on: May 31, 2014, 04:28:17 pm »
New clutch friction plates arrived. Soaked in oil for over 24 hours until I got a chance to fit them. Also changed out the steel plates, put back together and all appeared good. Now just have to find a time to ride. Hopefully this will fix my clutch and shifting issues.
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold
1978 CB750 F2 Supersport - Sold
1981 CB900 Bol d'or - Sold
2006 CBR1100 XX Super Blackbird - Sold

Offline jamesv220820

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17670 on: May 31, 2014, 07:34:32 pm »
I might of just came up with a couple options to add some flare to the gas tank using cl350 emblems

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:37:42 pm by jamesv220820 »
There is nothing to fear but fear itself . . . and trying to restore a cb350f

Offline maduncle

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17671 on: May 31, 2014, 07:57:18 pm »
New clutch friction plates arrived. Soaked in oil for over 24 hours until I got a chance to fit them. Also changed out the steel plates, put back together and all appeared good. Now just have to find a time to ride. Hopefully this will fix my clutch and shifting issues.

"Soaked in oil for 24hrs" - thanks, didn't know to do that with new plates (now I do).

Offline riverfever

• Master
« Reply #17672 on: May 31, 2014, 09:54:56 pm »
Installed new Dyna coils, wires, and plugs and adjusted the cam chain. It's amazing the difference this all made.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=127186.0

"You wouldn't think that out here...a man could simply run clear...out of country but oh my...oh my...nothing but the light." -Ben Nichols

Offline jerry h

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17673 on: May 31, 2014, 10:26:25 pm »
When I did my rebuild last year, the fork boots seemed in good shape, so I reused the old ones........ last week one split in two, so time for some new boots!

While ordering parts, might as well fill in the hole in the fender (plug, cone  90899-283-000) ;D

"It is not the critic who counts, the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose hands are covered with grease and oil."

K2 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,105097.0.html

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17674 on: May 31, 2014, 11:15:28 pm »

"Soaked in oil for 24hrs" - thanks, didn't know to do that with new plates (now I do).

What harm can it do? I've installed second hand Barnett friction plates with oil only rubbed on them as my clutch shat itself so pulled into a racer I knew. Removed old clutch after it cooled down and swapped out. Clutch worked great.

I would have soaked it for a few hours but the cold of night got the better of me.
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold
1978 CB750 F2 Supersport - Sold
1981 CB900 Bol d'or - Sold
2006 CBR1100 XX Super Blackbird - Sold