Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3163046 times)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20075 on: June 29, 2015, 04:27:14 am »
Given the stain line on that pump, Terry, do you think the rust accumulation was more from storing the tank half full of gas for prolonged periods or from the use of ethanol fuel? I know ethanol gets a bad rap by lots, and I'm one of them, but I'm also of the opinion that half-full storage even with pure gas will create rust.

It's always been my practice to store full or empty to avoid such a problem. With no room (full) for expansion and separation, the rust is prevented. With no fuel (empty) left, there's nothing to separate and create moisture.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #20076 on: June 29, 2015, 04:58:41 am »
Yep, possibly Cal, but "normal" fuel doesn't cause that degree of rot over here mate, I used a "bore scope" to look inside her tank, and while I had it out I took a peek inside my Triumph Rocket III and BMW K100RS tanks, and even though they were both almost empty, (I often raid my bikes for fuel for mowers/chainsaws/other bikes) there was no staining, and no rust, (thank God) in either of them.

All the terrible things that you said about ethanol fuel is warranted, and normal fuel wouldn't have softened that O ring to the point where fuel was bypassing it, either. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20077 on: June 29, 2015, 06:01:45 am »
I was in the basement of a friend who has a Ducati dealership called Life Cycle here in town and off in the corner was a pile of what looked like new tanks. They were all used recall that had swelled and distorted because Ducati did not take into account what effect ethanol would have on their plastic, err I mean composite tanks.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #20078 on: June 29, 2015, 07:26:51 am »
Redid my swingarm bushings.

Removed the old ones...

Went to my in-laws and used the 10-ton shop press (mechanic for in-law is awesome!) to press them in...

Got everything back together with a nice coating of new grease. Going to ride it tonight.

Discovered something fun... Notice anything missing?

How about now?

Broke a forking spoke! No idea how long it has been like this. Anyone have a spare spoke for a 17" rim (Hondamatic/77-78K) they want to send me?
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20079 on: June 29, 2015, 01:32:18 pm »
FOUND MY OIL ORIFICES! yes!! They were right in front of me (as I expected) tucked under the fold of a towel. LOL. Fit them in the head with new o-rings. Check, all good.

On to the cam, or not. LOL. Grabbed all the cam tower hardware. Cleaned. Lubed. Test fit time. Insert the cam inside the chain. Damn, shoulda slid the cam inside both the sprocket and the chain. Grab the best sprocket of my 3 BUT.... none have slots in them for my 315 cam. LMAO while ordering a slotted sprocket from Dynoman.

Guess it's hurry up and wait time again. Gotta find something else to do until HOPEFULLY no longer than this weekend. Guess I'll select a coater for the frame in the mean time. The welding should be done then I can drop it off. Oh well, back to finishing out my basement. Plumbing rough in completed this morning. Inspection Wed. Electrician coming Th to get me set up and order the parts so I can do most of that myself.

I need to do my frame stuff too including the steering head bearings and swingarm bushings like evanphi but that's all after the powder coating. Sigh, more yard work too.... This other stuff just isn't as much fun.

Maybe I'll do a build thread later but this will have to do for now.

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20080 on: June 29, 2015, 02:49:38 pm »
Jerry you sound like a very busy man right now, nothing like mixing in a remodel project along with a little hot rod building. Looking great so far  ;)

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #20081 on: June 29, 2015, 04:45:40 pm »
I installed the new carb onto the engine  of my little tinker toy cb100.

Also put the new battery in, and mated the hot and ground wire for the ignition, and blew the freaking main fuse.

Ordered a new wire harness from online source, and will wait till it comes in to try again.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20082 on: June 29, 2015, 06:38:17 pm »

Also put the new battery in, and mated the hot and ground wire for the ignition, and blew the freaking main fuse.

Ordered a new wire harness from online source, and will wait till it comes in to try again.
I'd love to have one of these for a father son project.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline 5thofhonda

« Reply #20083 on: June 29, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »
Finally got the Honda tool for the clutch retaining nut, only to realize I have nothing to keep the basket from spinning.  So today I spun the clutch and stared for about half an hour before calling ita day.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #20084 on: June 30, 2015, 03:25:23 am »
Finally got the Honda tool for the clutch retaining nut, only to realize I have nothing to keep the basket from spinning.  So today I spun the clutch and stared for about half an hour before calling ita day.

An old clutch steel, with a piece of 1/4" steel rod welded on works. ;)
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20085 on: June 30, 2015, 03:44:39 am »

An old clutch steel, with a piece of 1/4" steel rod welded on works. ;)

Or a cheap strap wrench. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #20086 on: June 30, 2015, 03:56:33 am »
I just made me a tool for that.

Offline jonda500

• I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!
  • Master
  • With our thoughts we make the world (Monkey Magic)
« Reply #20087 on: June 30, 2015, 07:56:06 am »
one time I successfully used piece of rag stuffed between the cogs
Remember that an ignoramus is only someone who doesn't know something you just learned yesterday!

A starter clutch thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,122084.0.html
1972 CB500K1 original 4 owner bike
1972 CB500K1 returned to complete/original condition
1975 CB550F built from parts - project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,149161.msg1711626.html#msg1711626
197? CB500/550 constructing from left over parts
1998 KTM 380 (two stroke) recent impulse buy, mmmm...

Offline Tetter

• CB500F Café - CB750F K6
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20088 on: June 30, 2015, 09:36:53 am »
Bought 1 1/2 CB650
The incomplete one has a title the complete one has not ....

Fixed some elec gremlins, cleaned the carbs as the PO already did...... Sure

Some fresh fuel and a charged battery...
Vrooom

Thinking of making this one a nice tracker for my lady

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20089 on: June 30, 2015, 08:18:25 pm »
Decided to come back in from the garage  :D 

There are a number of little projects that can be done while waiting on the frame and the slotted cam sprocket. Did a total rebuild on what appears to be a really nice oil pump. Used Elans parts plus new end cap o-rings and the shaft seal. That's always fun to remove  ::)
Took the starter clutch off the RC lightened rotor. Had a little difficulty removing it. The threads are buggered. Glad I hadn't torqued it down! Got it cleaned and ready for overhaul parts which I need to order. Also cleaned up my oil lines using brake cleaner and the brass wheel. I sandwiched this between a doctor appt and lawn mowing.

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #20090 on: July 01, 2015, 07:51:36 am »

Sum beech.........she fired...................sum beech.

Don't know how............but...................sum beech.

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20091 on: July 01, 2015, 09:11:03 am »

Dat dare woh sum beech

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #20092 on: July 01, 2015, 11:12:07 am »

Dat dare woh sum beech

Sum beech........................the efing kicker stripped..........sum beech.

Back to the drawing board..............or scrap pile.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=oo7ni109moqac67tqde0m10v43&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #20093 on: July 01, 2015, 01:59:27 pm »
pulled the carbs ,of the 550..it have not ran vell this seson..and after to have thanged plugs..and not better..it vas the hard vay..
or hard..,,,after to have worked on my cbx for a vinter...the cb is total simpel and easy to Work on..
faund some strange rubber/grease Wax stuff/plugged the mains half.. there vas no rust or oxidasion..only this soft strange Wax ..so after adjusting the flots..and klean all up..i heated the rubber konnektions..and pressed the all back inn..and it run perfekt..
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20094 on: July 01, 2015, 05:42:41 pm »
Decided to come back in from the garage  :D 

There are a number of little projects that can be done while waiting on the frame and the slotted cam sprocket. Did a total rebuild on what appears to be a really nice oil pump. Used Elans parts plus new end cap o-rings and the shaft seal. That's always fun to remove  ::)
Took the starter clutch off the RC lightened rotor. Had a little difficulty removing it. The threads are buggered. Glad I hadn't torqued it down! Got it cleaned and ready for overhaul parts which I need to order. Also cleaned up my oil lines using brake cleaner and the brass wheel. I sandwiched this between a doctor appt and lawn mowing.

That engine looks "F-ing" fantastic Jerry, but I don't think it'll run well, you've left all your rockers out! ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20095 on: July 01, 2015, 06:46:50 pm »
Thanks Terry. Just had to put the bling valve cover on for the picture. If Buzz will get me that sprocket I'll use the rockers haha.

In the mean time I'm piddling. Not much headway today. I realized that I had not taken the rear sprocket carrier to be coated with the wheels so I did that. Thought I'd get by 'reasonable'. I paid $125 each to powder the wheels and now that damn carrier is $85.

Just came from the basement and gathered up all the hardware for the wheels. I'll give the parts for the Lesters a test fit tomorrow after installing the bearings plus clean up the swingarm and install the new bronze bushings. My discs really need surfacing and holes but not now. Decided its premature to coat the frame since I'll probably install a GSXR front and do something with the tail eventually but I want it to be road worthy first. Guess I need to look at the brakes too. Gotta do all the boring stuff sometime huh!  ::) So far I'm finding most of what I need

Gotta get tires and tubes ordered too. Avons maybe? Next credit card cycle  ;)   

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20096 on: July 01, 2015, 06:54:14 pm »
Ha ha, yeah mate, it never stops, but the only way to get a bike you can ride is just bite the bullet and get it finished. I'm very happy with the Pirelli's I've put on my last three projects, but if you're looking for more traditional tread patterns, Avons are good, as are Conti's. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20097 on: July 02, 2015, 06:22:42 am »
Jerry, get Perilli Angel GT's. I recently had a set installed on my VFR. The best, stickiest, smoothest tire for all types of riding.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Online seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20098 on: July 02, 2015, 03:48:50 pm »
Jerry, get Perilli Angel GT's. I recently had a set installed on my VFR. The best, stickiest, smoothest tire for all types of riding.
yup, got Pirelli Sport Demons on my VF500 and they are really good tires
If it works good, it looks good...

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20099 on: July 02, 2015, 05:28:50 pm »

They don't make Angel GT's in sizes to suit CB750's mate, that's why Sport Demons are so popular on our bikes. Cheers, Terry. ;D