Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3162929 times)

Offline Ace

• Hot Shot
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20225 on: July 19, 2015, 04:50:27 am »
Decided to sync the carbs. Picture shows what they were like before sync. Got caught up in the moment of getting better than the photo and then forgot to take the after sync photo. Was rushed for time as well with the wife on her way home. Needless to say the bike is running great.

Carb rather OK before sync.
Mine were worse. My ears verified the instrument.

How long did it take you PeWe? How much better did the bike run after the sync?
1971 CB750 K1 - Sold
1978 CB750 F2 Supersport - Sold
1981 CB900 Bol d'or - Sold
2006 CBR1100 XX Super Blackbird - Sold

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #20226 on: July 19, 2015, 04:51:59 am »
Thanks for the hint, Terry!

No worries mate, you probably knew that anyway, but I'm constantly surprised at the amount of chemicals that the platers leave on anything I get chromed, so I was it all in hot soapy water to neutralise the acids and wash the excess chemicals off. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20227 on: July 19, 2015, 05:09:47 am »
It was only 55 deg F today, but I braved the cold and took the old Yamaha FJ1200 for a ride. I've owned this bike for a couple of years but haven't ridden it much due to the crappy tires and brakes that it came with, but now I've got a new Suzuki Bandit 1200 front MC and new Pirelli Sport Demons fitted, it's a different bike.

While it was cold, the sun was out and the road was dry, so I put up around 100 miles or so on my favourite roads, effortlessly cruising along at 70-80 MPH, with the ton seen many times as I overtook all the car drivers out for a Sunday drive. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #20228 on: July 19, 2015, 01:47:08 pm »
Decided to sync the carbs. Picture shows what they were like before sync. Got caught up in the moment of getting better than the photo and then forgot to take the after sync photo. Was rushed for time as well with the wife on her way home. Needless to say the bike is running great.

Carb rather OK before sync.
Mine were worse. My ears verified the instrument.

How long did it take you PeWe? How much better did the bike run after the sync?
The sync was easy once I knew how to do it. I had to modify the hoses to the small vacuum tubes on the Mikuni TMR.
Better idle and more comfortable at low throttle lift when cruising in low speed. I feel it more now after I have changed carbs jetting and fine tuned ignition. I had a tank with 1L fuel, 0.95 of it gone during the sync.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:29:45 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #20229 on: July 19, 2015, 05:07:59 pm »
Bought new tires, tubes, and rim strips for the wrench-fest that's going to go on this coming week.
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20230 on: July 19, 2015, 06:25:59 pm »
Got the wheel bearings installed front and rear. Used the All Balls kits. Installed the swing arm bushings. Got my other 2 oil orifice jet o-rings so I installed the 315 cam on top of the 1000.

Next up: degree the cam, pick up the frame from the welder, take the new tires and Lesters for install and balance, install the All Balls tapered steering bearings and swing arm. start building the front end. My time is limited this week so I know I won't get everything done I'd like but hey, there's always more to do  ;)   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20231 on: July 19, 2015, 07:23:24 pm »
Got the wheel bearings installed front and rear. Used the All Balls kits. Installed the swing arm bushings. Got my other 2 oil orifice jet o-rings so I installed the 315 cam on top of the 1000.

Next up: degree the cam, pick up the frame from the welder, take the new tires and Lesters for install and balance, install the All Balls tapered steering bearings and swing arm. start building the front end. My time is limited this week so I know I won't get everything done I'd like but hey, there's always more to do  ;)   
Did you not have a plumbing and other fun household things going on ? Sounds like you are making the best use of your time Jerry !!

Offline joeyvans

• Definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • God's Country, Earth
« Reply #20232 on: July 20, 2015, 08:10:33 am »
Today? Nothing.  Yesterday?  A few things...

Getting ready to fit a MotoGP Werks exhaust system, but wanted to make the necessary carb changes (per member recommendations) first. Worst comes first.... I hate removing the carbs.  Moved up my needle clips 1 notch from stock (now 3rd from top), then swapped out the 100 mains for 105's.  I'm hoping these common MotoGP Werks settings work for me as well, so I don't have to remove the carbs again.  If I do, I will probably make the necessary changes with the carbs on the bike. 

Then, since I've never done it before.... I clear tubed the floats.  Got them all looking great, but it took some time as I am an absolute perfectionist. Ditched the clear Motion Pro fuel line & inline filters for Honda OEM fuel line.  Carbs back on the bike.... worst job ever.  Locked down... good, great, grand. 

Dumped out half-talk of fuel that was part non-ethanol and ethanol gas.  (I was riding in MN where I think they have a state law that requires all gasoline to contain at least some ethanol).  Removed my 2 spout petcock with what appears to be the original strainer with no mesh screen.  Tank was cleaned a few months ago, so I replaced the strainer & nut with new OEM from 4into1.  Tightened down, tank back on the bike... filled to the brim with no ethanol 91 octane.  That was at 10:00, so it was time to quit. 

Next weekend comes the removal of the original 550K 4-4 exhaust and install of the 4 into 1.... will certainly be bittersweet as I love the look of the original pipes.  They are just too far gone to continue using.   :'(  :)   
1976 CB550 K2
Non-SOHC4 - 1974 CB450 K7
Non-SOHC4 - 1996 VFR750F

"No matter how much you shake and dance... the last three drops go in your pants."

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #20233 on: July 20, 2015, 08:40:36 pm »
Went to the DMV for titles!

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #20234 on: July 20, 2015, 08:50:07 pm »
Rebuilt the forks
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20235 on: July 20, 2015, 08:59:31 pm »

Did you not have a plumbing and other fun household things going on ? Sounds like you are making the best use of your time Jerry !!

:)  Plumbing rough in passed inspection so that's on to round 2  ;D.  Getting started on the mechanical but not much to do. Picked up parts and having a sheet metal piece fabbed. Big chunk of the yard work is done. Gotta track down my MIA electrician. Supplies and advice today. Retrieved my frame with Gordon's Kit installed. Tried to absorb Cams 101. Damn Webcam/Dynoman provides piss poor info (at least from an uneducated  cam tech). I'm shooting for what seems like an elusive Lobe Center. Installed a new hot tub cover too. My Subaru popped a check engine. #2 misfire. I'd already swapped plugs so now I swapped wires. Distractions!!

Tomorrow, hummmm? Gotta put my All Balls in the freezer. Steering head bearings that is so I can get that done. Drop off wheels and tires. Gotta get that nasty frame cleaned up first and start installing suspension but I have to work until Sun.  :'( 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20236 on: July 21, 2015, 07:27:57 pm »
SOME progress. Upcoming delay for 4 days work  :(  I did manage to put my balls in the freezer too. Looking forward to next week  ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20237 on: July 22, 2015, 03:14:02 am »
My Triumph Rocket III is still registered in my brothers name one state over. I can pay the registration monthly, quarterly or annually, which is way better than where I live, and usually I just register it for 3 months at a time and let it lapse in winter.

Last time I tried to register it on line it wouldn't let me, and as my brother was in the process of getting divorced I thought there might be a problem so I figured I'd just park it and ride my other bikes for awhile. Today I tried again and it went thru for another 3 months, so tomorrow, I ride! ;D

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20238 on: July 22, 2015, 08:42:37 am »
SOME progress. Upcoming delay for 4 days work  :(  I did manage to put my balls in the freezer too. Looking forward to next week  ;D

Good looking work Jerry! 8)

I got stranded at work last night.  Upon leaving from home it idled really rough, and then cut to two cyls.
I had to come back later to work on it so I parked it in the warehouse.
8pm I got back there and verified nothing was clogging carbs or blocking fuel supply.
Got it to run for a second so i could feel the pipes... 1&4 were cold.
Checked the coils.  Good resistance.  Caps were good.  Plugs were good.
All connections to my HM transistor unit were solid and clean.  Still no 1&4.

Removed the HM unit and sure enough, ran on my ND points just fine  ;D
PM'd Mark to see what tests I can perform on it.   :-\
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20239 on: July 22, 2015, 11:13:45 am »
I have done a road test today. I had changed main jets one size up. Better response up to 180kmh.
I'll go one size up again and hopefully get better up to 200.... according to my speedo.
Soon time for a vacuum check again when I have changed pilot one step up, fuel screws richer and main jets bigger as well. It hesitate just a little on very low throttle lift. Sync or little bit more fuel screws.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20240 on: July 22, 2015, 03:23:00 pm »
SOME progress. I did manage to put my balls in the freezer too.   ;D

Hey Jerry, guess is safe to say you're freezing your balls off?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20241 on: July 22, 2015, 04:25:37 pm »

Well after 3 wives and 3 divorces Steve, it might be a nice change from having them in a vice! ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20242 on: July 22, 2015, 04:31:31 pm »

I thought about bringing up that topic earlier but knew one of you jokers were sure to   ;)    ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20243 on: July 22, 2015, 04:33:03 pm »

Well after 3 wives and 3 divorces Steve, it might be a nice change from having them in a vice! ;D

I thought about bringing up that topic earlier but knew one of you jokers were sure to   ;)    ;D

Well, at least one of us has to!   Good one, Uncle Terry....
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20244 on: July 22, 2015, 06:51:24 pm »
All the Balls are frozen. I've put my personals in retirement for the time being. They don't like old women considering my 64th bday is a few weeks away.

Terry, the 3 divorces prove mine have never been in a vice and never will  ;D   ;)  I learned at an early age that ALL women have the same parts so there's nothing special about any one. It's those poor suckers that are made to believe and don't know any better that one woman has something the others don't have that get the vise. I've had my share so if old women are all that's left for my old ass then I quit and I'll die with my happy memories  ;) 

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #20245 on: July 22, 2015, 08:14:36 pm »
Took her out for "the first ride" since I got her...............I had mixed reviews.
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline riverfever

• Master
« Reply #20246 on: July 22, 2015, 10:07:14 pm »
Jerry...those wheels look killer! So jealous.

I did a tad over 100 miles today and it was soooo fun! I love riding this thing.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=127186.0

"You wouldn't think that out here...a man could simply run clear...out of country but oh my...oh my...nothing but the light." -Ben Nichols

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20247 on: July 23, 2015, 03:01:30 am »
All the Balls are frozen. I've put my personals in retirement for the time being. They don't like old women considering my 64th bday is a few weeks away.

Terry, the 3 divorces prove mine have never been in a vice and never will  ;D   ;)  I learned at an early age that ALL women have the same parts so there's nothing special about any one. It's those poor suckers that are made to believe and don't know any better that one woman has something the others don't have that get the vise. I've had my share so if old women are all that's left for my old ass then I quit and I'll die with my happy memories  ;) 

All are NOT the same. These have different kinematic model (better) compared with caucasians and really well lubricated (oil thread?)
http://pattaya-funtown.com/bars_pattaya/
I and a friend visited a Nightclub at Patpong Bangkok when we both were 35-40 years old. The hottest girls did not noticed us at all when they were busy with white men 70+. This street is not as good as the old fishing village 2 hours away by car as the link describe :P

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20248 on: July 23, 2015, 04:43:19 am »

Terry, the 3 divorces prove mine have never been in a vice and never will  ;D   ;) 

Ha ha, if that's the case what's your reason for marrying them in the first place Jerry, you just love the taste of fcuking wedding cake do you? You know you can BUY wedding cake, yeah? And then you don't have to give some old ho your house afterwards? ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20249 on: July 23, 2015, 04:46:04 am »
Oooher, but I digress. Today after lots of things that pissed me off, I took the Triumph for a ride, and had a blast. The sun was shining, the birds were possibly singing, and the triumph didn't explode. All up, a great day! ;D