Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3162794 times)

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20325 on: August 04, 2015, 06:39:43 am »
Put a spoke back on my rear wheel... I had one break a few weeks ago when I hit a big pothole. Tightened them all back up and they all ring now. No loose-sounding duds!

This winter I will bring both wheels inside and give them a good true-up using a stand.

This also resulted in the first re-adjustment of the new Diamond chain.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20326 on: August 04, 2015, 09:09:25 am »
Pushed it about 5 blocks on my way to work becasue the ethanol crap we have down here dried out my fuel line and cracked it almost in half.  The lines were less than 2 months old!!!  Nice and soft when I bought them.  Now, not so much.   At least I was close to a spot where I could push/coast it to safety.  And luckily, a coworker spotted me and gave me a ride in.  So, I guess it could have been worse.
  Was that a heavy duty type of real gas line or some other type brand like maybe Tygon etc. ? Be good to know so the folks can avoid it.

Aaaaand speaking of gas, no not that kind  ;) I worked on a couple of gas tanks today. One is off a 1977 CB750 that I hope to sell very soon and the other off a V65 Sabre, with a blower attached, that I have heard run now off a slave tank but not its own. Owned it for over a year or two now and still no ride so hopefully that changes real quick.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:21:28 pm by ekpent »

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20327 on: August 04, 2015, 07:15:15 pm »
Dropped the frame etc off at the coater. Going with metallic silver with gloss clear.

Many people ask how much to powdercoat - $300.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline riverfever

• Master
« Reply #20328 on: August 04, 2015, 07:17:21 pm »
Jerry who's doing the work?
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=127186.0

"You wouldn't think that out here...a man could simply run clear...out of country but oh my...oh my...nothing but the light." -Ben Nichols

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20329 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »
Excalibur off Fillmore. $300 includes ALL the painted incidentals. They did a great job on my other frame. While I like Spectrum for their detail work they are too expensive for non-detail oriented stuff. He was talking ~ $450. Spectrum charged me $250 for both Lesters then another $75 when I went back with the sprocket carrier. They both do all the prep blasting.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline mcswny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20330 on: August 05, 2015, 07:56:36 am »
Got back from a 2,500 mile trip on Sunday, so last night went right back to work on a 3k mile tune up! Feels like it go another 2,500 miles!
1972 CB750 K2
1997 XR600r (street legal)
1975 XL250
198 XR80

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #20331 on: August 05, 2015, 09:22:20 am »
Got back from a 2,500 mile trip on Sunday, so last night went right back to work on a 3k mile tune up! Feels like it go another 2,500 miles!

Very cool.

Offline jamesv220820

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20332 on: August 05, 2015, 01:23:35 pm »
I said after five years on/off I gave up trying to finish it myself. So i had the tow company take it to a shop to have them finish it

READY FOR THE TOW TRUCK TO TAKE AWAY

There is nothing to fear but fear itself . . . and trying to restore a cb350f

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #20333 on: August 05, 2015, 01:38:30 pm »
A shop will take you to the cleaners to do that job! If it were me I'd stick with it and finish it myself but it doesn't sound like you want to do that. What I see in the picture looks like a very clean bike with no engine. Maybe look into selling it and using the $$ to buy a complete running bike. Most shops labor rates will make that job astronomical financially. Whatever you decide though....good luck with it!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #20334 on: August 05, 2015, 01:46:15 pm »
Nothing...............105*
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline mkoski

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20335 on: August 05, 2015, 01:53:43 pm »
A shop will take you to the cleaners to do that job! If it were me I'd stick with it and finish it myself but it doesn't sound like you want to do that. What I see in the picture looks like a very clean bike with no engine. Maybe look into selling it and using the $$ to buy a complete running bike. Most shops labor rates will make that job astronomical financially. Whatever you decide though....good luck with it!

Yeah! I agree. If you were anywhere near me I would put it together for you no problem. Dont happen to be in Alberta, do you?  ;)

Offline jamesv220820

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20336 on: August 05, 2015, 02:01:29 pm »

ohh lol I have the engine and all the parts.  just gave up before deciding to put the engine back in

Offline jamesv220820

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20337 on: August 05, 2015, 02:02:30 pm »

Yeah! I agree. If you were anywhere near me I would put it together for you no problem. Dont happen to be in Alberta, do you?  ;)

sorry nope Im in the horrible city of Los Angeles.

I am giving these guys a chance

http://www.charlies-place.com/

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20338 on: August 05, 2015, 06:32:51 pm »
Hit up Gold Arrow. I am sure he would lend you a hand for free. Or if the engine is complete and ready to be installed. Pay for a ticket for me to fly out there! I would do it for free!
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #20339 on: August 06, 2015, 03:43:33 am »
Hit up Gold Arrow. I am sure he would lend you a hand for free. Or if the engine is complete and ready to be installed. Pay for a ticket for me to fly out there! I would do it for free!

Me too! Well I'd expect some beer............... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline DanJ

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20340 on: August 06, 2015, 04:24:05 am »
Started it. First time in 33 years she's ran. Time to iron out a few bugs and ride!!!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #20341 on: August 06, 2015, 04:39:48 am »
Started it. First time in 33 years she's ran. Time to iron out a few bugs and ride!!!
  What is it and we love pictures. Must be a time capsule.

Offline DanJ

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20342 on: August 06, 2015, 04:56:56 am »
73 CB750 K3, It sat in a garage for 33 years. I had to rebuild the motor and replace a few parts (Ape hangers and grab bar, etc) but just sent a lot of time polishing and touching up. The picture was taken in the spring with a few parts still off.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #20343 on: August 06, 2015, 05:36:58 am »
Pay for a ticket for me to fly out there! I would do it for free!
C'mon, Nick, you've got that shiny new VFR and saddlebags, pack 'me up, flip the key, twist the throttle, and Head West, Young Man! Flying is for Scooter riders  >:(
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #20344 on: August 06, 2015, 06:28:07 am »
SOHC4 meetup in LA to do some wrenching! Who's in?!

;D
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox

Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20345 on: August 06, 2015, 07:38:53 am »
Pay for a ticket for me to fly out there! I would do it for free!
C'mon, Nick, you've got that shiny new VFR and saddlebags, pack 'me up, flip the key, twist the throttle, and Head West, Young Man! Flying is for Scooter riders  >:(

LOL, Cal when I did the ride up to the UP i had to stop several times. Not because it was uncomfy as it was great but my left side is constantly going numb. Plus its football, cross country and gymnastic season for my kids! No such thing as free time for a bit. But that ride would be awesome!  Adding it to my bucket list!
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Hasenkopf

• Really, I'm not an
  • Hot Shot
  • This space for hire.
« Reply #20346 on: August 06, 2015, 10:27:58 pm »
I said after five years on/off I gave up trying to finish it myself. So i had the tow company take it to a shop to have them finish it

READY FOR THE TOW TRUCK TO TAKE AWAY

no, sad, you gave up too soon....this took me three years, but runs sweet and wins trophies!
I like berries.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #20347 on: August 07, 2015, 06:10:19 am »
Not an sohc topic but I sold my V4 Sabre yesterday...Down to 7 bikes with plans to whittle down to 3 at most....Larry

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #20348 on: August 07, 2015, 06:46:37 am »
Rode for the first time after putting on the new spoke and tightening up the others. Less vibrations from the bike, which is good!

Still plan to take both wheels off this winter and do a proper truing job.

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #20349 on: August 08, 2015, 06:30:10 pm »
Pushed it about 5 blocks on my way to work becasue the ethanol crap we have down here dried out my fuel line and cracked it almost in half.  The lines were less than 2 months old!!!  Nice and soft when I bought them.  Now, not so much.   At least I was close to a spot where I could push/coast it to safety.  And luckily, a coworker spotted me and gave me a ride in.  So, I guess it could have been worse.
  Was that a heavy duty type of real gas line or some other type brand like maybe Tygon etc. ? Be good to know so the folks can avoid it.

Aaaaand speaking of gas, no not that kind  ;) I worked on a couple of gas tanks today. One is off a 1977 CB750 that I hope to sell very soon and the other off a V65 Sabre, with a blower attached, that I have heard run now off a slave tank but not its own. Owned it for over a year or two now and still no ride so hopefully that changes real quick.

I used Honda 5.5mm fuel line from my local dealership.   Wonder if they got a bad batch...  Never had that problem before.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.