Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3162337 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20700 on: November 17, 2015, 02:49:19 am »
Well I finished work, then drove back to my hotel so I could get changed out of my business clothes and into jeans and a polo shirt, so I could take my new (to me) BMW R1100GS for a ride to Cooma, 80 miles away, for dinner.

The Monaro Highway is a great road with heaps of fast sweepers through the hills, and once I got out of Canberra there was very little in the way of traffic, so apart from the odd errant Kangaroo, very little danger. I had a great meal and a couple of icy cold beers at a Chinese restaurant in Cooma, then flew back to Canberra at indecent speeds, arriving around 8pm. All in all, a great evening! ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20701 on: November 17, 2015, 02:50:30 am »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #20702 on: November 17, 2015, 03:04:14 am »
Hey Terry. The styling on that Bimmer is well, a little different and I'll just leave it at that ;D  but Im sure it drive's and rides like a dream.
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20703 on: November 17, 2015, 03:27:03 am »
Ha ha, you're absolutely correct Dwight, it's no show pony, but it's a brilliant bike to ride, and I was thinking (as you do) that if I had to get rid of my other 7 bikes and only keep this one, I'd still be happy, it just does everything they do so well, but better. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #20704 on: November 17, 2015, 03:37:59 am »
How does it compare to the ole Wang?
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline nathanong87

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=6ivaf1nqc4b00pij5f9k73sma6&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #20706 on: November 17, 2015, 07:42:39 am »
that is a ferdamt kool bike...like the orginal boxer idea..not that airkon kooling pump..you have on the other bike
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #20707 on: November 17, 2015, 09:05:22 am »
Terry, I just sold my r1100gs. It was a great bike! Goes real well off the sealed road too. I sold it because we were going to buy a house, but the house got sold out from under us. Now I have to get my cb500 together. Hope you enjoy yours! You better hold on to your "wang" for when you're too old to throw your leg over the gs.  ;D

Offline gloken

« Reply #20708 on: November 17, 2015, 10:02:30 am »
Tore apart and rebuilt the forks, and polished up the fenders.
Big learning experience for me, but they had leaky seals, and it was time to learn.
I also learned that Honda will actually ship me some parts for a 77, including all of the gaskets, and the rubber spacers for the fender! Nice surprise there.
'77 Honda CB550K
'84 Honda V45 Sabre 750

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=6ivaf1nqc4b00pij5f9k73sma6&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #20709 on: November 17, 2015, 10:11:10 am »
you can pull the lower fork legs..so no need to take all stuff of the bike
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline gloken

« Reply #20710 on: November 17, 2015, 12:15:56 pm »
you can pull the lower fork legs..so no need to take all stuff of the bike

Thanks! It was probably good for me to learn how they go together, but I'll remember that for next time.
'77 Honda CB550K
'84 Honda V45 Sabre 750

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #20711 on: November 17, 2015, 01:46:45 pm »
Figured out what was wrong with my charging system. It all works, but is having connectivity issues....time to remove, tighten, and grease all the connections, mainly the rectifier. Might be time to go to electronic.
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline Kenzo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20712 on: November 17, 2015, 08:08:23 pm »
Getting materials together for my under seat electrical tray and custom seat pan fabrication. Sourced aluminum plate...just a little clean up(heat & brake cleaner)...and still needs to be annealed. Time to begin cardboard mock up and design. :)
H-Town, Tejas
>1976 CB550F SuperSport (Work In Progress)
MotoGP Werks Exhaust, Uni Pods
>2006 KTM EXC 453 (EXC 400 w/ Short Stroke Big Bore Kit)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20713 on: November 17, 2015, 11:48:56 pm »
How does it compare to the ole Wang?

Thanks Dwight, I still love my 'Wang, it's a super-smooth mile muncher (except for it's dead ignition, which makes it a nice statue of a 'Wang, at the moment) and is surprisingly fuel efficient, and of course, the fairing is so efficient that you can stay dry in heavy rain as long as you're moving along fast enough to generate a bow wave of air to push the rain drops up and over the rider, but I wouldn't dare take it too far off road, whereas the big BM is just as comfortable on dirt as it is on tarmac. ;D

that is a ferdamt kool bike...like the orginal boxer idea..not that airkon kooling pump..you have on the other bike

Thanks mate, I love it, but I still love my Sporty, it's a great bike too. My two previous R100RS' were heaps of schidt compared to the new boxer, in comparison, the Sporty's engine is way smoother, way torque-ier, and way more reliable. If I sound like I don't like the old boxers I apologise, I've had an R60 and two R75's and they were good, (but not a patch on the new boxer engines, there's really no comparison) but the R100 was rubbish, at least before they detuned it for the post 1980 models. ;D

Terry, I just sold my r1100gs. It was a great bike! Goes real well off the sealed road too. I sold it because we were going to buy a house, but the house got sold out from under us. Now I have to get my cb500 together. Hope you enjoy yours! You better hold on to your "wang" for when you're too old to throw your leg over the gs.  ;D

G'Day Adam, how are you mate? Sorry to hear about both tragedies, (selling the bike and losing out on the house) but you're right about the big BM, they're a brilliant bike, and I hope I never get too old to swing my leg over it, maybe I could install a side-car with a ladder? Are you officially a Kiwi yet? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #20714 on: November 18, 2015, 09:03:15 am »
I'm doing pretty well. I still can't bring myself to wear those stubby shorts that everyone wears, but otherwise I'm Kiwi As! The top of the south island is way more my speed than Melbourne was. I've gotten into spearfishing, and have time to go spearfishing or bow hunting after work! My motorbike keeps getting pushed further down the line, but now since I don't have the BM I've gotten a little done. Is there an easy way to strip the paint off an engine that you aren't splitting the cases on?

Here's my frame. It looks more copper/gold in person than orange.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20715 on: November 19, 2015, 02:21:28 am »
Good job mate, get some paint stripper and a wire brush (or better still, several wire brushes of different sizes) and the paint should come off pretty easily. What are you doing for a job? Watch out for those sheep rapists mate, they like to pretend that they're almost as normal as Aussies, but all the time they're sizing you up for a raping........... (keep your hair cut short, just to be safe) ;D

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #20716 on: November 19, 2015, 08:33:05 am »
Watch out for those sheep rapists mate, they like to pretend that they're almost as normal as Aussies, but all the time they're sizing you up for a raping........... (keep your hair cut short, just to be safe) ;D

Ahahahaha!!!
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #20717 on: November 19, 2015, 08:55:06 am »
I wasn't sure if you could use stripper. I've been keeping my hair short. My fro is a pain in the arse to get in a wetsuit. I'm about to finish my level 4 sports turf management. I work as a groundsman/greenskeeper. I take care of all the city parks with sports fields. We have one stadium (I use that term loosely) that our local rugby team plays on. It gets a few televised matches every year. Right now I'm balls deep in cricket. Cricket sucks.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #20718 on: November 19, 2015, 04:57:33 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20719 on: November 19, 2015, 05:26:08 pm »
Sure, we could ALL use strippers!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #20720 on: November 19, 2015, 05:52:06 pm »
Getting materials together for my under seat electrical tray and custom seat pan fabrication. Sourced aluminum plate...just a little clean up(heat & brake cleaner)...and still needs to be annealed. Time to begin cardboard mock up and design. :)

I remember seeing a sprint car race on TV, one car turned over and the bottom was a highway sign with the numbers still on it. The announcer said it was an emergency repair and the sign was  from a scrap bin. I bet. That said, I have a crimebusters sign that came from a dumpster. I tell everyone that asks that I stole it.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #20721 on: November 19, 2015, 08:47:34 pm »
Not enough.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #20722 on: November 20, 2015, 08:45:31 pm »
Rode it all over today.....beautiful weather.
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20723 on: November 21, 2015, 01:06:29 am »
I'm doing pretty well. I still can't bring myself to wear those stubby shorts that everyone wears, but otherwise I'm Kiwi As! The top of the south island is way more my speed than Melbourne was. I've gotten into spearfishing, and have time to go spearfishing or bow hunting after work! My motorbike keeps getting pushed further down the line, but now since I don't have the BM I've gotten a little done. Is there an easy way to strip the paint off an engine that you aren't splitting the cases on?

Here's my frame. It looks more copper/gold in person than orange.

That is one crazy arse frame colour there Adam - I love it.

What's your plans for the rest of the bike?
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #20724 on: November 21, 2015, 08:28:39 am »
I'm still deciding how much of that crazy colour to use. I'm thinking of going nuts with it and doing the wheels, swingarm and maybe even the fork lowers. The bike was really rough and not everything stock when I got it, so I decided to have fun with it and keep it rather than go totally stock and possibly sell it. I'm going to paint the engine black and maybe put a few accents of the frame colour on it if I can make it look right. It'll mostly be a stock set up though. I've got a couple 4 into 1 exhausts and the original (a bit rough) 4-4. I want to put the 4-4 on and keep the bread box to start. Maybe somewhere down the line go full cafe with it, but no where in the plans for now. Just make a wild 500 for now.