Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3162340 times)

Offline Acoustoman

• A work-in-progress, and so is the bike.
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20725 on: November 23, 2015, 07:24:55 pm »
Got my tank and side covers back from the paint shop. Just need a couple 500Four side cover emblems.
1973 CB750K (My rider)
1976 CB550K (Next project)
1973 CB500K (Sold)
1981 CB650C (Sold)

Offline jonda500

• I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!
  • Master
  • With our thoughts we make the world (Monkey Magic)
« Reply #20726 on: November 23, 2015, 08:17:52 pm »
Got my tank and side covers back from the paint shop. Just need a couple 500Four side cover emblems.

Sweet! Looking real nice Acoustoman!
John
Remember that an ignoramus is only someone who doesn't know something you just learned yesterday!

A starter clutch thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,122084.0.html
1972 CB500K1 original 4 owner bike
1972 CB500K1 returned to complete/original condition
1975 CB550F built from parts - project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,149161.msg1711626.html#msg1711626
197? CB500/550 constructing from left over parts
1998 KTM 380 (two stroke) recent impulse buy, mmmm...

Offline Raymonty

« Reply #20727 on: November 23, 2015, 08:44:03 pm »
I woke up to a refreshing temperature of minus 7 Celsius, fixed my throttle cable and started her up for the final time of the season. Rode 23 miles while being chased by snow squalls that finally caught up with me just as I reached my bikes winter storage safe haven. Hoping for a short winter and my wife is probably going to get tired of my moping around very quickly.
76 750K

Offline Kenzo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20728 on: November 24, 2015, 07:40:39 pm »

sweet...
H-Town, Tejas
>1976 CB550F SuperSport (Work In Progress)
MotoGP Werks Exhaust, Uni Pods
>2006 KTM EXC 453 (EXC 400 w/ Short Stroke Big Bore Kit)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #20729 on: November 24, 2015, 11:16:14 pm »
I injured my back 20 years ago by jumping out of too many perfectly good aeroplanes, so it doesn't take long for my back to start aching on any of my bikes. With this in mind, I bought an "Air Hawk" inflatable cushion to try on my BMW R1100GS. (and any of my other 7 bikes, except perhaps, my CB750, I've never had a "numb bum" from the (repro) OEM seat.

The directions say to inflate it, sit on it (Ralph) and slowly let the air out until you can feel the OEM seat unerneath it. I ignored the directions and fully inflated it, and took off. It was like sitting on a football, so I stopped on the side of the road and let some air out. I got back on and it still didn't feel right, so I let some more air out, and now I think I've got it right, we'll see.

I rode up to the top of Black Mountain (not much of a mountain, more like a steep hill) to look at the Telstra tower. Sadly the safety-crats rule the world nowadays, so the previous viewing areas have been closed to the public, you need to wear hard hats etc etc. Anyway, here's a pic of the tower, for what it's worth.

By this time I was getting a bit peckish, so I rode over to Woden, parked my bike, and went to a "Healthy Burger" restaurant for some food. No idea how you make a burger healthy, but it tasted OK, even if they didn't have any beer to wash it down.

That was yesterday, it's just after 6pm now, and once again I'm feeling peckish, it's still around 80 degrees outside and broad daylight, so I might ride over to Queanbeyan (just over the border in New South Wales) for dinner, I'm told there's a pretty good Mexican restaurant there, so I might have to give it a road test. Cheers, Terry. ;D   

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20730 on: November 25, 2015, 03:10:47 am »
Damn it - seeing that burger has made me peckish too, and dinner was hours ago.

CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline jonda500

• Master
« Reply #20731 on: November 25, 2015, 04:20:52 am »
Thought I'd pulled a swifty on the SSM(starter safety management) in my 550F(the clutch switch is long gone so it only starts in neutral).

I thought it would be simple to re route the start buttons earth wire straight to ground instead of to the SSM, but I have '78 switch blocks and wiring harness - so the wiring from the handlebars has a square 4 pin plug - so not so easy - and my color wiring diagram is quite innacurate and wrong in many places.

Just working off a hunch, I made a male to male green wire and connected the spare green/red female to a spare green earth. Then I tested it by pushing the start button with the bike on the main stand in gear and it worked! Feeling clever I put the headlight back in and took it for a spin ...  er it starts in any gear, but, the neutral light stays on all the time whether it's in neutral or not, DOH!

I guess I'll have to get out the multimeter to find out which wire in the rectangular plug the yellow/red start button wire connects to when pressed, and probably have to cut that wire and run it to earth.

John

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:23:43 am by jonda500 »
Remember that an ignoramus is only someone who doesn't know something you just learned yesterday!

A starter clutch thread:

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #20732 on: November 25, 2015, 01:37:48 pm »
Pulled her out and went for a ride.  ;D
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #20733 on: November 25, 2015, 01:54:09 pm »
Rode it to work again.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #20734 on: November 25, 2015, 03:24:59 pm »
Had my sister in Calif. box up the sand cast frame, cases and one Kimtab to Greyhound to me on Fri. The sand cast will go on eBay to flip to fund 2 other bike builds (70 Triumph Tiger, 1957/1974 Norton Domi/ Kawasaki H2)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20735 on: November 25, 2015, 03:56:55 pm »
What's the frame number mate? I need a 1969 frame to go with my engine, I think it's an October 69 build? Cheers, Terry.
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #20736 on: November 25, 2015, 04:05:55 pm »
What's the frame number mate? I need a 1969 frame to go with my engine, I think it's an October 69 build? Cheers, Terry.

Frame #1568, engine #1644

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20737 on: November 25, 2015, 08:14:19 pm »
Thanks mate, that's a very early number! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #20738 on: November 25, 2015, 08:20:13 pm »

Low enough to make an offer? Whats your engine number?

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #20739 on: November 25, 2015, 08:36:49 pm »
Haven't ridden any of my bikes other than the famous Scooter on Steroids(aka Honda Pacific Coast) so I decided to start Red Ryder, my GS1100F and The Tequila Sunrise(cannot remember the last time any of the bikes were started :-[ :-[ :-[). Red Ryder started, had to charge the battery on the Suzi to get it to run and Tequila Sunrise was dead and the floats decided to leak.  Started to winterize aforementioned bikes, think I'll soon be selling The Tequila Sunrise or maybe all as none of them are getting any use....LARRY

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #20740 on: November 25, 2015, 08:45:15 pm »
Larry,
You could sell them in the Spring and then the new owners could bring them back to you for service when needed so you could still see them.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20741 on: November 25, 2015, 09:03:58 pm »
Larry,
You could sell them in the Spring and then the new owners could bring them back to you for service when needed so you could still see them.

I have too much stuff and it is time to let  go(I just sold a set of JBL JRX100 speakers for $50 just to gain the space) , The PINK PANTHER  has not been touched for a long time either , but I have been productive on the house and barn/shop. Scraped, oil primed and painted the barn...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20742 on: November 25, 2015, 09:21:01 pm »
Larry,

I have too much stuff and it is time to let  go(I just sold a set of JBL JRX100 speakers for $50 just to gain the space) , The PINK PANTHER  has not been touched for a long time either , but I have been productive on the house and barn/shop. Scraped, oil primed and painted the barn...Larry

still have to borrow a ladder to get the uppermost part(my 16' is not tall enough), did you know that the leading cause of accidents for men 55+ is caused by a ladder?

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #20743 on: November 25, 2015, 09:35:41 pm »
Larry,

still have to borrow a ladder to get the uppermost part(my 16' is not tall enough), did you know that the leading cause of accidents for men 55+ is caused by a ladder?

Back the pick up truck up to the barn and put the 16' ladder in the bed, that'll give you another 3'.higher. Might do the trick for that last little bit.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20744 on: November 25, 2015, 10:24:54 pm »
Haven't ridden any of my bikes other than the famous Scooter on Steroids(aka Honda Pacific Coast) so I decided to start Red Ryder, my GS1100F and The Tequila Sunrise(cannot remember the last time any of the bikes were started :-[ :-[ :-[). Red Ryder started, had to charge the battery on the Suzi to get it to run and Tequila Sunrise was dead and the floats decided to leak.  Started to winterize aforementioned bikes, think I'll soon be selling The Tequila Sunrise or maybe all as none of them are getting any use....LARRY

stop acting like a ___
If it works good, it looks good...

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20745 on: November 25, 2015, 10:57:44 pm »

Low enough to make an offer? Whats your engine number?

Thanks mate, but mine's a diecast , I'm 400 miles from home so I'll have to wait until Saturday before I can tell you the engine number, but I imagine a sandcast guy would kill for your stuff? I just want a 1969 diecast frame. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline jonda500

• Master
« Reply #20746 on: November 26, 2015, 01:06:23 am »
Thought I'd pulled a swifty on the SSM(starter safety management) in my 550F(the clutch switch is long gone so it only starts in neutral).

I thought it would be simple to re route the start buttons earth wire straight to ground instead of to the SSM, but I have '78 switch blocks and wiring harness - so the wiring from the handlebars has a square 4 pin plug - so not so easy - and my color wiring diagram is quite innacurate and wrong in many places.

Just working off a hunch, I made a male to male green wire and connected the spare green/red female to a spare green earth. Then I tested it by pushing the start button with the bike on the main stand in gear and it worked! Feeling clever I put the headlight back in and took it for a spin ...  er it starts in any gear, but, the neutral light stays on all the time whether it's in neutral or not, DOH!

I guess I'll have to get out the multimeter to find out which wire in the rectangular plug the yellow/red start button wire connects to when pressed, and probably have to cut that wire and run it to earth.

John

I messed around with the multi meter and found that the start button connects power from the black wire to the yellow/red wire. This left me somewhat puzzled until I searched the forum and found this post from Fritz:

The way the starter button has been wired differs from the early and the later models.
The later models have the starter button connected to ignition (black) and the solenoid (yellow/red) while earlier models have the button connected between the clutch switch (green/red) and the starter solenoid (yellow/red).
The ealier button connected the solenoid indirectly to ground (via clutch and neutral switch), the later to +12V.
The earlier type connected the solenoid's other pole to +12V (black), the later indirectly to ground(via clutch and neutral switch, green/red).

...so now I am thinking I'll put my green/red-green jump wire back in the headlight and simply unplug and discard my little two spade ssm diode from the electical panel under the sidecover... this should work!
John
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:27:40 am by jonda500 »

A starter clutch thread:

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #20747 on: November 26, 2015, 01:58:33 am »
Haven't ridden any of my bikes

I know what you mean MoMo. First time in at least a month I charged the battery on the KO and took a short spin on it yesterday. Charging the K6 right now and might take it down the hwy after I eat some turkey today. The GL1000 and the Wide Glide will have to wait for another day. The K4 I got over a year ago still needing to get it on the road. In the back of my mind Im thinking like you maybe I need to trim the fat a little. But on the other hand I catch myself looking on CL and EBay everyday :-\
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 04:23:10 am by dhall57 »
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20748 on: November 26, 2015, 07:02:42 am »
Haven't ridden any of my bikes

I know what you mean MoMo. First time in at least a month I charged the battery on the KO and took a short spin on it yesterday. Charging the K6 right now and might take it down the hwy after I eat some turkey today. The GL1000 and the Wide Glide will have to wait for another day. The K4 I got over a year ago still needing to get it on the road. In the back of my mind Im thinking like you maybe I need to trim the fat a little. But on the other hand I catch myself looking on CL and EBay everyday :-\

I want to trim the fat as you say but like you I have this Kawi 750 turbo in the back of my mind.   However I do avoid CL....Larrry

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #20749 on: November 26, 2015, 07:43:52 am »
Haven't been riding mine either. :( Getting below 0C at nights, and lots of ice building on the roads... Salt trucks will be out soon. :'(

Time to lay Rhonda up for the winter and get working on that front end!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive