Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3162254 times)

Offline grepper

• Busted Knuckles
  • Enthusiast
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20775 on: December 03, 2015, 06:29:46 am »
Where can a guy get a fairing like that? Grepper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MAX-Front-Upper-Fairing-Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha-Kawasaki-/231342871605?hash=item35dd1c1435:g:mkgAAOSwnDZUIw~0&vxp=mtr

This looks like greppers

Wow! Mr. Mike, that's it!  I've searched and searched and could not find it.  Sure I could find old Wixom and Shoei fairings like it, but not this one.

I actually bought it at a swap meet for $8.  I think the seller just didn't want to bring it home again.  It did come with a windshield, but it's in real bad shape.  I'm planning on just using it as a template to make a new one out of Lexan.

Offline DWS

• Enthusiast
  • Treat others as you would like to be treated .
« Reply #20776 on: December 03, 2015, 04:57:26 pm »
Thank you Mr. Mike
Always looking for friends.

78CB750F3
PD 42A with original breadbox
4 into 1
valves adjusted to .003 (intake and exhaust) ( as was suggested for cooling )
slow jets#35 Main #110
 turned out to 1.5 some paper work says 1.75
4800 feet altitude

78 Honda CB 750 F3 Restoring now(Almost done)
BSA MX 50 Next
BSA b50T Parts

Offline Mr. Mike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20777 on: December 03, 2015, 06:26:00 pm »
You're welcome friends.
That one seems to be in exceptionally nice condition, however I wonder about the windshield availability. Let us know how your fab job on the lexan windshield turns out.
2002 Electra Glide
1978 750K
1966 CL77 (sold)
2020 CB500X

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #20778 on: December 03, 2015, 09:38:45 pm »
Drenched my K2 case-cylinder studs in penetrating oil, hoping to get those removed safely by the weekend.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #20779 on: December 03, 2015, 10:23:28 pm »
 Edward I found double nutting the studs, Two long 6 point wrenches, taping on the end with a small ball peen hammer, a heat gun and lots of patience the studs will come out. They will twist some, the trick is to know when to stop turning and go back to heat and tapping.

I got my cl100 parts and soon I'll need to understand what's this "how many kicks" thing, they young guys speak of,
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20780 on: December 04, 2015, 02:49:39 am »
Edward I found double nutting the studs, Two long 6 point wrenches, taping on the end with a small ball peen hammer, a heat gun and lots of patience the studs will come out. They will twist some, the trick is to know when to stop turning and go back to heat and tapping....

Thanks Don, I've been searching around and found some of your earlier posts describing the same. That is the plan, with the addition of using a set of vice grip pliers at the bottom (possibly getting a helping hand for the top wrenches) and using cylinder head nuts for double-nutting.

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #20781 on: December 04, 2015, 07:41:46 pm »
This was a first, I helped load it on a flatbed. Lost all spark suddenly. First time she let me down :(

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20782 on: December 04, 2015, 07:42:29 pm »
This was a first, I helped load it on a flatbed. Lost all spark suddenly. First time she let me down :(

Fuse?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #20783 on: December 04, 2015, 08:05:06 pm »

Fuse?

No, my 72 only has 1 fuse and its intact. Everything else still works, bike cranks over but no spark when plug is pulled and I watch for it to spark against frame or engine (all 4) tested coils (primary and secondary) plug caps, black/white wire to coils from harness is getting switched power. Luckily it was only 3 miles from my house so my wife brought a bunch of tools
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:10:18 pm by Davez134 »

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20784 on: December 04, 2015, 09:39:01 pm »

Fuse?

No, my 72 only has 1 fuse and its intact. Everything else still works, bike cranks over but no spark when plug is pulled and I watch for it to spark against frame or engine (all 4) tested coils (primary and secondary) plug caps, black/white wire to coils from harness is getting switched power. Luckily it was only 3 miles from my house so my wife brought a bunch of tools

Offline Mr. Mike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20785 on: December 05, 2015, 05:54:47 pm »
Thought I'd try one of these. Not too expensive...cheap really, but I kinda like the look and a snap to install. Had to raise and pull forward the headlight bucket about 1/2". Maybe some pin striping to compliment the gold and orange on the tank. Haven't had it out just yet to compare previous buffeting to any protection the screen may offer.

I ADMIT IT...YOU WERE RIGHT...I MADE A MISTAKE in this bullet fairing.
Took the bike out today, and my experience was just like grepper and strynboen said. No real difference at 60mph and above with regards to wind blast protection. DANG. Guess i'll try to off this one cheap and continue to keep my eye out for a workable Shoei, Wixom or similar batwing type fairing.
2002 Electra Glide
1978 750K
1966 CL77 (sold)
2020 CB500X

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20786 on: December 06, 2015, 12:17:43 am »
Thought I'd try one of these. Not too expensive...cheap really, but I kinda like the look and a snap to install. Had to raise and pull forward the headlight bucket about 1/2". Maybe some pin striping to compliment the gold and orange on the tank. Haven't had it out just yet to compare previous buffeting to any protection the screen may offer.

I ADMIT IT...YOU WERE RIGHT...I MADE A MISTAKE in this bullet fairing.
Took the bike out today, and my experience was just like grepper and strynboen said. No real difference at 60mph and above with regards to wind blast protection. DANG. Guess i'll try to off this one cheap and continue to keep my eye out for a workable Shoei, Wixom or similar batwing type fairing.
that #$%* is all garbage...just get a Vetter, or anything else frame mounted
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20787 on: December 07, 2015, 08:17:24 pm »
Got the cylinder studs out without damaging the cases. What a pain. ..

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #20788 on: December 08, 2015, 07:39:55 am »
I built up Rhonda's bed for the winter. 8'x2.5' 2x4 frame with 3/4" ply over top. Lag eye screws in the corners so I can tie down the rear end to lift the front for the work this winter (frame will have some blocking to make sure nothing goes awry). Will buy a front wheel chock at some point if I ever need to... for another bike maybe. Should also add some casters so I can move it... but no point now with that HUGE crack in my slab. :P

Also covered my boat for the winter.

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #20789 on: December 08, 2015, 07:56:34 am »
Received my Sand Cast frame and engine cases last night from Greyhound, they dropped it at a Shell gas station. These will promptly go up on eBay.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20790 on: December 09, 2015, 08:29:09 pm »
Well I can't top the sandcast stuff but............. back to it after a couple months of playing. Picked up my final (hopefully) batch from the coater and started playing just a little. Not much time to play. Swapped out my front brake hoses with the Slingshot replacements and prepped/built all 4 foot rests for install. I have to finish blasting the rear caliper, primer, paint and bake it and re-build then I can install the rear end. That's up next. Sunday?? Possibly, but after removing the front cap on my Acura Legend and doing some repairs then re-installing it I have to move on to replacing the rear hubs/bearings on my Subaru Outback first. Damn priorities! But hey, I have most of next week off to resume. 

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #20791 on: December 10, 2015, 04:39:55 am »
I found an old fashioned canvas tool roll for The Red, quite happy having my tools organized.

Isn't it funny how I am always prepared for the worst and with Dorothy I never had to wrench on the road?  I don't expect anything less from Red :)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #20792 on: December 10, 2015, 12:34:38 pm »
I found an old fashioned canvas tool roll for The Red, quite happy having my tools organized.

Isn't it funny how I am always prepared for the worst and with Dorothy I never had to wrench on the road?  I don't expect anything less from Red :)

That is because Hondas do not break down.  Of all the bikes I've had only two Hondas broke down-one  had clogged jets from a bad Red Kote lining and my PC rectifier went south but I was able to bump start and get home.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=8b0kjm09k1j1139mnvrdu90fu1&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #20793 on: December 11, 2015, 09:26:25 am »
today i made a coil for the small china Honda..the ohm reading vas mega ohm..so think a vire/coil vas burned /cut..
a nev coil is abaut 200 ohm...thekked the vire..it vas 0,15 milimeter..so cut the old vires off..and put new on..gave it some lauqer and spunn some stringh araund to make it stronger..vas not at the shop..so dont have all the right stuff to make it prof..but think it vill Work fine..

edit link is ok now...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:08:17 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #20794 on: December 11, 2015, 09:57:53 am »
Nice!

today i made a coil for the small china Honda..the ohm reading vas mega ohm..so think a vire/coil vas burned /cut..
a nev coil is abaut 200 ohm...thekked the vire..it vas 0,15 milimeter..so cut the old vires off..and put new on..gave it some lauqer and spunn some stringh araund to make it stronger..vas not at the shop..so dont have all the right stuff to make it prof..but think it vill Work fine..

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=8b0kjm09k1j1139mnvrdu90fu1&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #20795 on: December 11, 2015, 10:27:37 am »
is" stringh" the same as thin rope?.. ???or is it a vrong vorth
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #20796 on: December 11, 2015, 02:26:56 pm »
is" stringh" the same as thin rope?.. ???or is it a vrong vorth

"string" is correct.  Thin rope.  And frankly, an invaluable tool in many cases.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20797 on: December 13, 2015, 01:33:15 pm »

Video link not working says marked as private.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20798 on: December 13, 2015, 01:37:27 pm »
Rode it
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20799 on: December 13, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »
Cursed the living hell out of the PO for bending every single tab, and forcing cheap grade SAE hardware through the metric threads on my K3 swingarm >:( >:( >:(. Then I went ahead and fixed it up, destroyed a tap in the process ::), hurt my hands numerous times and cursed some more at the "disposable" HF/Menards tools  >:( ;D. Its fully rebuilt now, including new oillite bushings and custom collar from Hondaman  8)