Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3162031 times)

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=da31r4jag5dv304ea9mc38fjs5&/topic,60973.0.html
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #20875 on: January 03, 2016, 07:37:47 am »
made some hveels for my puch VZ...
have glassblast hups and polished them.
.front rim vas rusted,,so it got some silver paint after a glass blast to remove the bad crome.
..its a økonomi resturasuon..have to save the Money for the cbx..

tryed to zink spray the spokes..insetea to galvanise them..its not good..i can scratch it off just use my finger..so dont try that..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:42:39 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #20876 on: January 03, 2016, 01:24:07 pm »
Gave her a bath today and shined her up, found my rattle noise...right passenger foot peg was loose, and went for a nice 100 mile ride before the rain gets here. I REALLY need to get a new winter riding jacket, since I've lost a bunch of weight my old one is just to big!
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20877 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »
I woulda taken the Z bike!!!............New Years only comes once a year!!!

Was a great day to take out the Z for a high speed run!  Sunny and high in the 60's...perfect.

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #20878 on: January 03, 2016, 06:24:21 pm »

Was a great day to take out the Z for a high speed run!  Sunny and high in the 60's...perfect.

That really is a gorgeous bike Steve, I wish I'd kept mine.......... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20879 on: January 03, 2016, 06:28:30 pm »

That really is a gorgeous bike Steve, I wish I'd kept mine.......... ;D

Thanks Terry.  I've never considered selling, I may have a line on buying another!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20880 on: January 03, 2016, 06:54:10 pm »
Get it mate, and send it to me.......... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20881 on: January 04, 2016, 02:41:25 am »
Well my new $89 helmet arrived today, so I thought I better try it out. Yeah, I know, $89 helmet/$89 head etc, but for $89, it was worth a look. Surprisingly, it's a good fit, easy to raise and lower the face shield, the visor stays up at 60 MPH, and the wind noise is less than in my more expensive Nolan. It looks pretty snazzy too. ;D

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #20882 on: January 04, 2016, 03:10:58 am »
^^^^does it have the sun shields too?^^^^
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #20883 on: January 04, 2016, 02:14:27 pm »
Replaced the good working battery in the bike. Now lower version that give space for Hondaman ign module, spare relays and fuses for the hanging fuseholders for the 12V the relays controls.

New battery: 11Ah 135 x 90 x 145mm (L x W x H)
Old battery:   14Ah 134 x 89 x 160mm (this is lower than OEM). I had the ign module on top of this before. A little bit tight to the seat though and not strapped as now.

I hope it will work as the old and have enough power when charging works well. I guess that modern 11Ah battery will work as the old 14Ah after a year or 2.

Cheap GEL batteries that cost about half than the famous brands.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #20884 on: January 04, 2016, 02:37:10 pm »
I ordered a throttle sleeve/tube for a cbr900 which I had read would make for a 1/4 throttle for my F2 ...... nope. At least the cbr900 throttle tube I ended up getting was no different than the original, maybe it's the 929rr that's supposed to work? Well anyhow just to see what I could do I took an old throttle tube and epoxied a zip tie around where the throttle cable would wrap and by the time I was done I ended up with a 1/4 turn with no clearance problems in the control however it was just a test to see if I would have any clearance issues inside the control, I don't trust the adhesion of the epoxy to the zip tie and throttle tube. The thought of the piece of zip tie and epoxy coming undone and then possibly jamming the throttle while riding doesn't sound like a good idea so it was only a test. The idea behind it all is to decrease the amount of motion my wrist has to twist to get to WOT without having to "regrip" as I do now.

Then I replaced the clutch springs in the clutch.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20885 on: January 04, 2016, 04:13:34 pm »
^^^^does it have the sun shields too?^^^^

No mate, not that I'm aware of? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20886 on: January 04, 2016, 04:27:07 pm »
Soaked the chrome tail light piece in vinegar. That mild acidic dip dissolves the rust and a tooth brush do a great job of removing the rust that all these cheaply chromed #$%*ers have. Put the license plate/tail light mount on. Put it together and installed. Installed the header studs. Installed iridium plugs. All the wiring is now completed. Ordered a new set of carb boots. Got an email that Delkevic is making me a prototype exhaust that should fit all the late model heads.

Still to do:

Install petcock ; get fuel line ; jet the stock carbs ; find my chain master link and install ; install battery and check electricals; take it off the lift and install oil pump and header ; put gas and oil in it ; fork oil ; bleed brakes front and rear ; WAIT on the carb boots; install carbs THEN

TURN THE KEY AND FIRE THIS #$%* UP  ;D 8) 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20887 on: January 04, 2016, 04:36:07 pm »
Well I did an oil and filter change on my BMW R1100GS on Saturday, as I've been riding it around since I bought it in October, not knowing when the bike was last serviced. Not having an owners manual or service manual, I just used my incredible brain to work it all out.

Obviously through no fault of my own, I was unlucky enough to drop the sump plug, allen key, socket and socket bar extension into the hot oil in the drain pan though, so I (understandably) cursed the manufacturers of the various components for their incompetence of design.

Regardless of everyone else's various failures, I bravely completed the oil change with no further incidents. When I emptied the pan into a container though, I found this:

Well to prove that quality German motorcycles don't need no stinking sump plug washers, I rode the pants off it yesterday, and I'm happy to report that after 60 miles or so, it's still oil tight. I took it up a dirt road that I've only ridden on once before (on my Honda XR500R) which turned back into a sealed road a few miles on, and I came upon this magnificent vista, so promptly parked my bike in the middle of the road to take this pic. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #20888 on: January 05, 2016, 06:53:50 am »

Where did you ride?
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #20889 on: January 05, 2016, 07:08:09 am »

Where did you ride?

Hey Bud.....Just rode the Hills around Lago Vista, there are some great roads I'd like to show ya!

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #20890 on: January 05, 2016, 09:30:25 am »

Hey Bud.....Just rode the Hills around Lago Vista, there are some great roads I'd like to show ya!

Let me get the CB750 up and running and I'll take you up on that.  The bobber isn't a carver.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20891 on: January 05, 2016, 10:51:03 pm »
Picked up my fuel line and clips. Installed the petcock. Cleaned up the exhaust collars with the wire wheel. Ordered clamps for the carb boots.

Installed the battery. Turned the key. Crossed my fingers. Disappointment set in. Horn works great! Right turn switch lights front right and left rear and they blink. Easy fix. Left gives a faint glow on the dash. Tail light seems to kinda work. Headlight and indicator non existent. Check bulb. Starter button does nothing. #$%*n electrical  :( >:(. Starter button was questionable to begin with due to a cracked plastic casing which I epoxied over. Took a chance on my old low voltage wire harness. May end up getting an after market new replacement.

Turned off the lights and came back inside. Sigh....... Fukn electrical!

Guess I can take it off the lift and install the oil pump etc.......  Gotta make a run to Harbor Freight for a chain breaker and my usual freebie coupon. Carb boots are supposed to be in on Monday  :) so I can go ahead and swap out the jets.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20892 on: January 06, 2016, 12:46:29 am »
Well the ignition issue that's kept me off my big black 'Wang for the last year pissed me off to the point of trying to fix it today. That's not entirely true, it actually started yesterday and ran really well considering that it was full of 1 year old fuel, then once I switched it off, it wouldn't start again.

I decided that if I could get it going this morning I'd ride it over to Jeff at Ace Motorcycles and leave it with him to sort out when he had time. It fired right up, but forgetting that the hydraulic clutch needed to be bled first, I stalled it. Fcuk! Of course it wouldn't start again, so I refreshed my memory by pulling out the spark plugs to see if there was any spark.

What I discovered was that only one coil appeared to be functioning. I decided to dig deep into the big beast and pull out the coils. This is a huge task with all of the plastic on this thing, and when I finally located the coils under the top frame triangle near the steering head, it took another hour to get the baastards out.

Of course I had nothing suitable in my garage, so I've ordered new coils, leads and plugs, so I'll have to push the big bugger back into the garage tomorrow, and it'll sit until I get time to fix it, which is an awful shame, I really want to take it for a ride! Cheers, Terry. ;D

The good news is that my Harley Sportster is now registered and road legal! ;D

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=da31r4jag5dv304ea9mc38fjs5&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #20893 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:58 am »
on my cbx ..the coils  haveen be overheated and full of crack"s  (not that)..but all 1980 types honda fits ..if they use elektronic ignision..and vires can easy be thanged..not like the old sohc...
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #20894 on: January 06, 2016, 10:36:15 am »
Strapped the cover down tight for the next few days of rain and wind.  :(
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #20895 on: January 06, 2016, 12:52:20 pm »
Ordered my Delkevic exhaust for Monday delivery. Carb boots should be here then too.

Back to it next week. Light at the end of the tunnel once I figure out my electricals.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20896 on: January 06, 2016, 02:42:19 pm »
on my cbx ..the coils  haveen be overheated and full of crack"s  (not that)..but all 1980 types honda fits ..if they use elektronic ignision..and vires can easy be thanged..not like the old sohc...

Thanks mate, I actually had a set of TEC coils off one of the V4 Honda's of the 1980's that I'd bought on eBay years ago, but I couldn't get a spark out of them? One had a decent crack in it so I assumed that all the sparks had leaked out of it, but couldn't work out why the other one wouldn't work? God I hate electrickery! ;D

DH

« Reply #20897 on: January 06, 2016, 05:47:35 pm »
Couldn't source a 10X125X40 banjo bolt locally sos I could finish testing the hydraulic portion of my dual disc conversion.
Went to Lowes and found a bolt. Drilled bolt lengthwise and in two places on the side FREEHANDED, without a drill
press. Clamped bolt in a vice grip pliers, and c clamped vice grip to benchtop edge. (NEVER AGAIN) a few hours later tho, I had
front discs. I can't believe the thing doesn't leak.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #20898 on: January 07, 2016, 03:36:31 am »
Impressive ;)

Couldn't source a 10X125X40 banjo bolt locally sos I could finish testing the hydraulic portion of my dual disc conversion.
Went to Lowes and found a bolt. Drilled bolt lengthwise and in two places on the side FREEHANDED, without a drill
press. Clamped bolt in a vice grip pliers, and c clamped vice grip to benchtop edge. (NEVER AGAIN) a few hours later tho, I had
front discs. I can't believe the thing doesn't leak.

Offline joeyvans

• Definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • God's Country, Earth
« Reply #20899 on: January 07, 2016, 10:01:32 am »
Ordered a personalized "Forever" plate for my '76 550 today.  Never have to pay annual registration fees again.  BOOM!

Best thing about it.... I walked right up to the gal at the DMV without having to wait in line.  First (and probably last) time that will ever happen.

I remember a joke from Dane Cook (yeah he probably stole the joke from someone else).... "In the year 3000 everything will be instant... just get in a teleporter and you are there.... but the DMV will still take like 9 f'n seconds."
1976 CB550 K2
Non-SOHC4 - 1974 CB450 K7
Non-SOHC4 - 1996 VFR750F

"No matter how much you shake and dance... the last three drops go in your pants."