Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3161724 times)

Offline therobbstory

• I hug too hard and get lost in malls.
    • Robb Hohmann Photo
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #21025 on: February 07, 2016, 05:06:47 pm »
Snapped my throttle cable six blocks from home. Use the idle-adjust screw to get back.

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #21026 on: February 07, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »
Broke it!

Went out to do a nice ride through wine country...clutch stopped working 15 miles from the house. Had AAA come to the rescue and get her back home. The cable was iffy when I got it, will order a new one tomorrow and start taking her apart.  :(

Must be more than clutch cable?
No problem to drive without cluch as long it is not sliding and maybe too much city driving with redlights, green lights OK :). Elecric starter with gear in, change gear when release throttle just when the gearbox is unloaded between acc to dec.

Clutch cable is locked up tight, must have broken a couple of wires and unraveled in the case, cause it wont move! New cable is on order.  ;)
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline Kenzo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21027 on: February 08, 2016, 06:54:30 am »
Broke it!

Went out to do a nice ride through wine country...clutch stopped working 15 miles from the house. Had AAA come to the rescue and get her back home. The cable was iffy when I got it, will order a new one tomorrow and start taking her apart.  :(

Good thing you had AAA membership! I use to have but now have coverage through AMA whom I believe in supporting. They are out there preserving riders rights, both on and offroad. I have the AMA Racers Competition Plus Membership(needed to race in AMA sanctioned races) $49 a year with automatic renewal. Besides the other benefits and discounts it includes Roadside Assistance.

"AMA Roadside Assistance covers all of the vehicles in your household including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and trailers. All family members living in your household are covered. Services include towing, lock-out, dead battery, flat tire, fluid delivery and mobile mechanic. Towing services include up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility or to any other location of equal distance at no expense."

AMA - Rights, Riding, Racing

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/

Cheers,
kenzo

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:34:33 am by Kenzo »
H-Town, Tejas
>1976 CB550F SuperSport (Work In Progress)
MotoGP Werks Exhaust, Uni Pods
>2006 KTM EXC 453 (EXC 400 w/ Short Stroke Big Bore Kit)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #21028 on: February 08, 2016, 10:07:02 am »
+1 Kenzo. Beats the #$%* outta the AAA.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #21029 on: February 08, 2016, 11:30:27 am »
65mm pistons out from the engine. Pins sat hard in pistons, had to use a heatgun on pistons.
Maybe a little bit oil carbon on tops. One more reason to deck head and cyl block

Santa is till lurking around here  ;D NOS front fender to my K6 from David Silver UK were they still have for much better price than all others. US sellers want double. For me it will be tripple with VAT etc.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:57:07 pm by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=lp8h3f0b5m5j3td0eft2dpc3v0&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #21030 on: February 08, 2016, 11:51:30 am »
got the puch vz almost together...
my son vill have it at his komfirmation later in may month.

.he need to be 16..to drive a 35 kmt moped(krazy denmark)..
.but he are already drivin all my mopeds and some of my /mc.. the 400 four fits him perfekt,,, he is 13.(.ve live at contry side)..
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:46:00 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #21031 on: February 08, 2016, 04:40:30 pm »
Good thing you had AAA membership! I use to have but now have coverage through AMA whom I believe in supporting. They are out there preserving riders rights, both on and offroad. I have the AMA Racers Competition Plus Membership(needed to race in AMA sanctioned races) $49 a year with automatic renewal. Besides the other benefits and discounts it includes Roadside Assistance.

"AMA Roadside Assistance covers all of the vehicles in your household including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and trailers. All family members living in your household are covered. Services include towing, lock-out, dead battery, flat tire, fluid delivery and mobile mechanic. Towing services include up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility or to any other location of equal distance at no expense."

AMA - Rights, Riding, Racing

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/

Cheers,
kenzo

AAA gives me 100 mile towing to where ever I want on everything I own and for my whole family, and I'm an ABATE member.
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21032 on: February 08, 2016, 08:15:15 pm »

This morning I delivered it to the guy who is going to put the engine together and install it.

I start a new job next week, so I don't have the time to learn how to do it, then do it myself.

I want to be riding this to work as soon as possible, because the "back way" to my new office is all windy country roads.

CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #21033 on: February 09, 2016, 03:43:58 am »
Well over here on my side of the pond, it's hot, damn hot. Canberra has a reputation for being cold, but today it was hotter than just about every capital, and only a couple of degrees cooler than Darwin, the stinking hot capital of Oz.

After work I did some errands, dropped my new shiny 18" x 3.5" Sportster rear wheel off to get a new Pirelli Sport Demon installed, then around to Enzed hoses to get some new oil hose, to replace the leaking rubbish that Mike bought from Crappy.

My little apartment was fcuking hot when I got home, so I jumped on the big black BMW R1100GS, and went to see a movie. By 9pm when the movie finished, I rode around to the supermarket and managed to cram 3 shopping bags full groceries into the Hepco and Becker top box I bought a couple of weeks ago. By then the night had cooled down some, so I had a great ride home. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21034 on: February 09, 2016, 03:49:34 am »
65mm pistons out from the engine. Pins sat hard in pistons, had to use a heatgun on pistons.
Maybe a little bit oil carbon on tops. One more reason to deck head and cyl block

Ooher, I've got a set of those pistons in a box somewhere Pewe, they were the cause of my "piston slap" issues due to excess clearances, they're not quite 65mm, from memory? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #21035 on: February 09, 2016, 08:28:36 am »
Well over here on my side of the pond, it's hot, damn hot.

Was 88 here yesterday, sposed to in the 90's today and I have no clutch cable >:(
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21036 on: February 09, 2016, 08:51:54 am »
You gotta get you some spares mate, that dude in Japan that does the cheap 836 kits sells them for like 10 bucks each, get a spare one of everything so you don't miss out on some rides! ;D

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #21037 on: February 09, 2016, 10:03:04 am »
I received a citation.  Apparently the new bldg. management doesn't want me to park my bike where I've been parking it for years - and that's fine, it's no big deal - and it was just a warning citation.  What bothers me, though, is the commentary in the description of my bike.  Vehicle Make/Model "Honda Bike" - ok, fine, should be "Awesome Honda Bike" but I can live with that. 

The vehicle color(s) however - "Black and Rust".

Ok - so maybe I'm a little lax with the steel wool lately, but dammit man! 
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #21038 on: February 09, 2016, 01:18:08 pm »
I had to remove my right crash bar to get the clutch cable off and ended up just removing them all together.  The pipes looked horrible under them so since I'm waiting for the new cable to get here I decided to clean up the pipes a bit.  I really need to remove them and do a complete and proper cleaning, but I'm not up to that point yet. They show some scars from being 38 years old, but they are ok at 10 feet!  8)

11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21039 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:03 pm »

Ooher, I've got a set of those pistons in a box somewhere Pewe, they were the cause of my "piston slap" issues due to excess clearances, they're not quite 65mm, from memory? Cheers, Terry. ;D
Hi Terry,
I measured them today 65mm around the skirts under the wrist pins, 90 degrees widest place.
Perfect for my head that got chambers opened when ported and adapted for a set of RC836 back in 1983. No piston head contact.
I'll deck the head and cylinder to make sure the flatness that probably is not really flat. I hope still no contact after that. A little bit more compression that will fit next cam, DP315. Last cam was a "RC295 copy".

I need to clean the crowns from carbon. Trying various chemicals I have home, now crown in kerosene, next nafta. Gasoline might work better?

Terry, Are your wrist pins sitting very tight in yours RC pistons? I had to use a heat gun to get them out.
I cannot understand why there are oil holes for the wrist pins when they are not moving freely in pistons. Maybe in need of valve lapping compound on old wrist pins and some massage?
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21040 on: February 09, 2016, 03:08:53 pm »
I can't remember mine being overly tight mate, but I bought a pin removal tool a few years ago that makes removal a breeze anyway. I wouldn't recommend making them a looser fit, they don't need to move once installed in your engine.

You should measure them on the thrust faces an inch or so above the base of the skirts, but if yours aren't slapping, it's not an issue. Cheers, Terry. ,D
-

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #21041 on: February 09, 2016, 04:29:50 pm »
pewes are cast,terry,yours are forged.hence the slap.bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21042 on: February 09, 2016, 06:29:11 pm »
Is that right Bill? I know mine are forged, but mine are identical to Pewe's. Cheers, Terry. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #21043 on: February 10, 2016, 10:55:56 am »
Put it together  ;D Got a pair now  :D

Received a couple orders. Got my new right control from Partszilla, best price I could find. Throttle cables, main harness, battery + cable, solenoid cable from VintageCB750. Got all the electricals working after detecting a bad ground on the headlight bucket due to powder coat inside the hole on the bucket mount.

Put in engine oil and fork oil. Installed the seat and tank. The starter works. Needs gas  ;D And the chain.... Oh, and I still need to bleed both brakes..

Should I gas her up today??
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:58:06 am by Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #21044 on: February 10, 2016, 11:13:13 am »
Is that right Bill? I know mine are forged, but mine are identical to Pewe's. Cheers, Terry. ;D
yeah terry went through all this during the great rc piston hunt I had a few years back,there are two types that look the same but one is cast and one is forged,there is some kind of diff in look of them but I cant remember what,have since moved away from that idea.billp
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21045 on: February 10, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »

Received a couple orders. Got my new right control from Partszilla, best price I could find. Throttle cables, main harness, battery + cable, solenoid cable from VintageCB750. Got all the electricals working after detecting a bad ground on the headlight bucket due to powder coat inside the hole on the bucket mount.

Put in engine oil and fork oil. Installed the seat and tank. The starter works. Needs gas  ;D And the chain.... Oh, and I still need to bleed both brakes..

That looks fantastic Jerry, I don't know how you've done it mate, but with a few subtle mods, you've almost banished all the "F-ugly" from that bike, so we'll done! Yeah, gas it up, I want to see how well it runs with those bead blasted carbs! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline madmtnmotors

• When did I get to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Sunny Central Florida
« Reply #21046 on: February 10, 2016, 01:14:17 pm »

That looks fantastic Jerry, I don't know how you've done it mate, but with a few subtle mods, you've almost banished all the "F-ugly" from that bike, so we'll done! Yeah, gas it up, I want to see how well it runs with those bead blasted carbs! Cheers, Terry. ;D

At least sit on it and make engine noises!  ;D
TAMTF...

Wilbur

Projects:
"Evolution": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100352.0
"P.O. Debacle": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,126692.msg1441661.html#msg1441661
F2/F3 O-rings: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113672.msg1300721#msg1300721
Cam Tower Studs: https://www.mcmaster.com/#93210a017/=t19sgp
Clean up that nasty harness: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=137351.msg1549191#msg1549191
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,148188.msg1688494.html#msg1688494
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,139544.msg1579364.html#msg1579364

Charging system diagnosis: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=1012.msg8345#msg8345
Get the manuals: http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb750k/
The Dragon: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.msg1571675#msg1571675
Headlight Switch: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113986.msg1283236#msg1283236
Branden's leak free top end thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107040.0
Engine Lifting Made Easy: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,58210.msg1684742.html#msg1684742
                                      http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,100352.msg1675840.html#msg1675840
Static and Dynamic Timing: http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/carb_info/timing/timing1.html
Airbox Gasket Replacement: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,114485.msg1290000.html#msg1290000
"Café" : http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,84697.msg953814.html#msg953814
PD Carb Choke Linkage: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,100352.msg1669248.html#msg1669248
                                    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,110931.msg1248354.html#msg1248354
                                    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,48858.msg515204.html#msg515204
Follow up on your damn posts: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,144305.msg1791605.html#msg1791605
Taiwanese Cam Chain Tensioners:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,155043.msg1774841.html#msg1774841
Gumtwo Seat Cover: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,164440.msg1897366.html#msg1897366
Primary Drive: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,166063.msg1919278.html#msg1919278
Tank Latch: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,165975.msg1919495.html#msg1919495
Shorten your forks: http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/How-to-shorten-forks-td4042465.html DO NOT CUT THE SPRINGS!
Clutch How To: http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/How-to-change-and-adjust-a-clutch-SOHC-td4040391.html
Late model K7/K8/F2/F3 front sprocket cover removal: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,178428.msg2072279.html#msg2072279
630 to 530 conversion: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180710.msg2094423.html#msg2094423

Sent from my Tandy TRS-80!

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #21047 on: February 10, 2016, 01:23:24 pm »
Gosh Wilbur, should I just go out and put some gas in it?  ;)  Hoping the Dyna III is set up correctly. No valve piston interference at starter motor speeds. Wish I had another pair of hands to handle the camera.

8)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:33:30 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er »

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21048 on: February 10, 2016, 01:44:09 pm »
yeah terry went through all this during the great rc piston hunt I had a few years back,there are two types that look the same but one is cast and one is forged,there is some kind of diff in look of them but I cant remember what,have since moved away from that idea.billp

We all found the pistons cheap on eBay, right? Pistons marked inside:  RC HP6450 delivered with 1 piece oil ring. I resued my 3-piece oil rings from the Action Fours pistons. They all use CB350 + 1mm rings.

These RC HP6450  pistons have wider crowns so std chamber will not fit, the chambers need to be widened to avoid pistons kissing head that Terry has encountered if I have understood correctly.
Here when I have just bought them 2012: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,106009.msg1185468.html#msg1185468

With a pdf where I have compared them with my old RC forged 836 and Action fours pistons
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,104925.msg1186590.html#msg1186590

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #21049 on: February 10, 2016, 02:46:37 pm »
OK Wilbur, you shamed me into this!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:00:26 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er »