Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3161235 times)

Offline riffman12

• Hot Shot
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #21250 on: March 07, 2016, 10:11:10 am »
had a friend weld my rear hoop on. It fits the seat perfect. Very happy with the results

Offline saha6818

« Reply #21251 on: March 07, 2016, 10:24:31 am »
Found a giant puddle of oil under my girlfriend's CB350F. I recently restored the bike and it has been working fine. Didn't leak any oil in the garage for a couple of weeks until suddenly it dumped a bunch out (maybe 1/2 cup). ??? I can't tell where it came from, so I'll have to budget some time to start digging again. I was happy to see that there wasn't any coolant in the oil, but I suppose that would be really strange from an air-cooled bike. ;)

BTW, in case anyone is reading this and has advice, we're struggling with deciding what to do about the loud exhaust. The previous owner (who knew the original owner and was around the bike since new) says the exhaust is original. It's 4-into-2. I can take a picture if you like, but it doesn't look like any Googled images of original CB350F exhaust (4-into-4, as I recall). The paint seems to be non-standard too, so we think the dealer might have been creative. Anyway, the exhaust can't be taken apart without major surgery, but the fiberglass is clearly all gone. The bike is louder than just about anything on the road, and I like relatively quiet bikes. On the other hand, it'd be a shame to ditch the original exhaust. The options, as I see them: repack by force and then booger-weld it back together, accept the noise, or fit on some aftermarket parts.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #21252 on: March 07, 2016, 10:48:42 am »
Found a giant puddle of oil under my girlfriend's CB350F. I recently restored the bike and it has been working fine. Didn't leak any oil in the garage for a couple of weeks until suddenly it dumped a bunch out (maybe 1/2 cup). ??? I can't tell where it came from, so I'll have to budget some time to start digging again. I was happy to see that there wasn't any coolant in the oil, but I suppose that would be really strange from an air-cooled bike. ;)

BTW, in case anyone is reading this and has advice, we're struggling with deciding what to do about the loud exhaust. The previous owner (who knew the original owner and was around the bike since new) says the exhaust is original. It's 4-into-2. I can take a picture if you like, but it doesn't look like any Googled images of original CB350F exhaust (4-into-4, as I recall). The paint seems to be non-standard too, so we think the dealer might have been creative. Anyway, the exhaust can't be taken apart without major surgery, but the fiberglass is clearly all gone. The bike is louder than just about anything on the road, and I like relatively quiet bikes. On the other hand, it'd be a shame to ditch the original exhaust. The options, as I see them: repack by force and then booger-weld it back together, accept the noise, or fit on some aftermarket parts.

Look into just putting aftermarket mufflers on the headers? Lots of good options... Cone Engineering, Hindle, etc...
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #21253 on: March 07, 2016, 02:13:43 pm »
Finally scored the rear wheel I've been chasing, what a mission... :o
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21254 on: March 07, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »

What size?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #21255 on: March 07, 2016, 07:13:58 pm »

What size?

Its a silver {plain aluminum}, 18x3 inch boomerang comstar to match the 18x2.5 inch front, I already had an 18x3 rear but it was black, the front is plain aluminum, it was going to cost more than I paid for the rear to "color" it to match the front, paid 70 bucks for it, axle size is the same as the 750/4.. All thats left to do is make {machine them to fit, I have spacers already} up spacers to match and the wheels are all sorted.. ;)  I will post pics eventually... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #21256 on: March 07, 2016, 07:18:09 pm »
   I just bought one last week also Larry, cost $63.99 + tax. Here is a pic for Terry. Have only used it so far for my wifes jewels but am going to try it on some CX500 carbs for starters. What kind of cleanser are you using ? See simple green and the purple stuff is popular. An excellent restorer friend of mine suggested I try this product called Awesome from Dollar General at full strength. He swears at it er er I mean by it.   ;)  Wish it were bigger, yes I mean the cleaner !!

I used one third cleaning vinegar, one third Krud Kutter and one third distilled water on the heated cycle-jets and float seats look like new....Larry

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #21257 on: March 07, 2016, 11:05:29 pm »
Yer wife's jewels. Doesn't that tickle when you stoop down and drop the boys in?  ;)

Sorry, I often can't resist  ;D

I'd be more worried that Eric's wife had those appendages in the first place Jerry? Not that there's anything wrong with that....... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21258 on: March 07, 2016, 11:23:19 pm »
   I just bought one last week also Larry, cost $63.99 + tax. Here is a pic for Terry. Have only used it so far for my wifes jewels but am going to try it on some CX500 carbs for starters. What kind of cleanser are you using ? See simple green and the purple stuff is popular. An excellent restorer friend of mine suggested I try this product called Awesome from Dollar General at full strength. He swears at it er er I mean by it.   ;)  Wish it were bigger, yes I mean the cleaner !!

Thanks Eric and Larry, I just did an ebay search and I can get a heap of different size units, right up to 10 gallon units for quite reasonable prices from China........... I've got a small ultrasonic cleaner like that Harbor Freight one, but I really don't want to mess around pulling my carbs apart, it was an impulse buy and I don't think I even took it out of the box, ha ha!

OEM CX500 carbs should be dropped in the nearest recycling bin as they were crap straight from the factory, but to be fair, they work one hell of a lot better after a decent clean. I did the "Vinegar" clean on mine and they were way better afterwards, but once I replaced them with Murray's Mikuni's, (and dumped the crappy "H Box" performance blocker) the bike was way more fun to ride! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21259 on: March 08, 2016, 02:48:46 am »
Terry - Autobarn have one on special at the moment that will take a single carb or a single head, and a mate of mine imports them and sells them locally - I can get you a price if you like.
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline 72Bramma

« Reply #21260 on: March 08, 2016, 03:45:09 am »
Paint side covers 750F1

Looks very original. Phantom Gray. What paint did you use?

It's seems hard to get phantom black in Aus.
I chose Mazda Graphite Mica in pressure pack without a clear coat to keep the low sheen.
DB

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #21261 on: March 08, 2016, 04:57:31 am »
  I followed your CX thread Terry and have seen articles about the conversion. These carbs are 'fussy'. I bought this bike down the road from an older neighbor last fall and think I will try to get it running well, ride it a little bit to see what they are like and then move it along.
   Used the sonic cleaner with good results and had to split the rack anyways to replace a broken throttle pulley. One of those fun finds when buying an old bike,glad a CM400 piece fit.  What surprises next  ???

Offline Kenzo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21262 on: March 08, 2016, 06:26:45 am »
New emulsion tubes installed(were backordered), tweaked the pilots(back to 38's). New carb to intake boots installed. Going for a ride shortly...

Oh and ordered a new LiFePO4 battery...the one I've been bragging about(Ballistic EVO2-8) no longer holds a resting charge of 13.2 volts and the voltage drops rapidly under load off charge. This is it's forth year and third bike it's been installed on, so I'm pretty happy. Going to give the Scorpion Li a try...

Cheers,
Kenzo

Kenzo, which carbs on your F? Where did you source the emulsion tubes?

Thanks

It's a 76 CB550F with 069A carbs. Got the emulsion tubes from 4into1 they're not Keihin but they all match and the originals were in very bad shape.

The nagging slight stumble has finally been fixed. :)

Cheers,
Kenzo
H-Town, Tejas
>1976 CB550F SuperSport (Work In Progress)
MotoGP Werks Exhaust, Uni Pods
>2006 KTM EXC 453 (EXC 400 w/ Short Stroke Big Bore Kit)

Offline joeyvans

• Definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • God's Country, Earth
« Reply #21263 on: March 08, 2016, 06:34:32 am »
It's a 76 CB550F with 069A carbs. Got the emulsion tubes from 4into1 they're not Keihin but they all match and the originals were in very bad shape.

The nagging slight stumble has finally been fixed. :)

Cheers,
Kenzo

Good to know... Thanks!
1976 CB550 K2
Non-SOHC4 - 1974 CB450 K7
Non-SOHC4 - 1996 VFR750F

"No matter how much you shake and dance... the last three drops go in your pants."

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #21264 on: March 08, 2016, 06:58:13 pm »
Rode it!  :P It was chilly this morning at 41, but warmed up to about 70 by the afternoon.
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline Artfrombama

• Card-carrying, board certified
  • Hot Shot
  • CB750 K2
« Reply #21265 on: March 08, 2016, 07:23:12 pm »
Nuthin...
Waitin on freekin O-rings that weren't in the freekin gasket kit. :(
Halfassed machinist
Tinkerer/goof-off/Mr. Fix-it
CB750-2011594 Sunrise Flake Orange
CB750E2441103

Offline Kenzo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21266 on: March 08, 2016, 08:20:57 pm »
Nuthin...
Waitin on freekin O-rings that weren't in the freekin gasket kit. :(

The dog ate my homework...really! :P

Cheers,
Kenzo
H-Town, Tejas
>1976 CB550F SuperSport (Work In Progress)
MotoGP Werks Exhaust, Uni Pods
>2006 KTM EXC 453 (EXC 400 w/ Short Stroke Big Bore Kit)

Offline jonda500

• I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!
  • Master
  • With our thoughts we make the world (Monkey Magic)
« Reply #21267 on: March 09, 2016, 01:24:11 am »
Just rode it!
Stopped for a swim...
Remember that an ignoramus is only someone who doesn't know something you just learned yesterday!

A starter clutch thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,122084.0.html
1972 CB500K1 original 4 owner bike
1972 CB500K1 returned to complete/original condition
1975 CB550F built from parts - project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,149161.msg1711626.html#msg1711626
197? CB500/550 constructing from left over parts
1998 KTM 380 (two stroke) recent impulse buy, mmmm...

Offline teotdk

« Reply #21268 on: March 09, 2016, 01:40:35 am »
Did a little welding.. and waiting for the O-Ring of the starter motor...
CB 500 Four K2

Offline jeffg

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21269 on: March 09, 2016, 01:50:25 pm »
Fired up my bike and rode it around the block, looked in the gas tank; all is well.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21270 on: March 09, 2016, 11:06:06 pm »
Bought another one........... Shhhh! Don't tell my wife! ;D

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:11:48 pm by Terry in Australia »

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #21271 on: March 10, 2016, 05:06:20 am »
Nice bike Terry, your getting quite a nice diversified collection going there.  What size engine is under the hood on that one ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21272 on: March 10, 2016, 06:14:46 am »
Thanks Eric, that's an FJR1300 with around 145 BHP, so it should get down the road nicely. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21273 on: March 10, 2016, 06:26:18 am »
Thanks Eric, that's an FJR1300 with around 145 BHP, so it should get down the road nicely. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Nice score Terry, you sure like the "Big Beasts"!  Good thing it has 145 bhp, it must weigh over 800lbs with the luggage.  Looks much better with it removed.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #21274 on: March 10, 2016, 11:16:44 am »
Excellent Terry. And just a little faster than a F  ;) And much faster than yer Harley.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)