Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3160711 times)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #21450 on: March 31, 2016, 06:40:28 pm »
 Had a post recently about "Big Red" 1986 xl600r. Took it out for a tester ride today between major rainstorms. Interesting but need to see if the front wheel is still round at 60 +MPH  :D  Few niggles to check out but put the next one on the poop deck. I bought this Yammie TT350 from an old timer last summer. He had owned it forever and had a local machinist I know do the head and bore and he finally put it together and when he turned on the gas for his start up it piddled all over his nice garage floor and he said F' it and went back to his Hot Rod car to play. Poor guy had a new knee and can hardly walk and he said get it out of here,for a very reasonable price.  I have started it and heard it run despite the pissing gas so lets dig in and find out why.  So far I will say easier to work on than a Honda   :o  :o

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21451 on: March 31, 2016, 07:43:14 pm »
Odd looking carb, Eric. What brand is it?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21452 on: March 31, 2016, 08:51:50 pm »
I'll get back Steve but its a weird brand, what was the carb on your Kaw 550, thinks its the same. Its a 'dual" carb but compared to the Honda 600 its like half the weight and bulk.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21453 on: March 31, 2016, 09:01:57 pm »
I'll get back Steve but its a weird brand, what was the carb on your Kaw 550, thinks its the same. Its a 'dual" carb but compared to the Honda 600 its like half the weight and bulk.
Hitachi?
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21454 on: March 31, 2016, 09:20:30 pm »
Hitachi?
It was weird like TSK or something. Let it lay on the bench before the next assault.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21455 on: April 01, 2016, 07:18:20 am »
Hitachi?
It was weird like TSK or something. Let it lay on the bench before the next assault.

My GPz has a Teikei.  I had never heard of it...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Kenzo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21456 on: April 01, 2016, 08:14:23 am »
Slapped a new AGM battery in the XL250s and rode it up for its annual inspection.
Then gave the state more money for fresh tags.

Do you know if you register as an antique, an annual inspection is not required?
Don't ya know if you register as an antique it's only $60 and good for five years?!

It's a no-brainer.

Yes, I heard you the first time.  ;)

It's OK mate, I think you're a smart man too, Steve can be so mean some times.......... ;D

Yeah, Steve was helpful and in general a nice guy when I first showed up here...people warned me!

Cheers,
Kenzo
H-Town, Tejas
>1976 CB550F SuperSport (Work In Progress)
MotoGP Werks Exhaust, Uni Pods
>2006 KTM EXC 453 (EXC 400 w/ Short Stroke Big Bore Kit)

Offline riffman12

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21457 on: April 01, 2016, 10:05:07 am »
cross posting this from my build thread...for a bit more visibility  ;D

last night I think I got my rear wheel all ready to go and mounted. Punched the bearing retainers, tightened down all the sprocket and brake rotor bolts.

A few questions as this is my first time doing this and I really don't want to screw up my bearings and hub.

Firstly this is the process I used for the bearings and retainers. Maybe someone can just check my work and let me know that this sounds right?

1) tap the brake side bearing in all the way until it stops
2) insert the collar / spacer in the hub
3) tap the sprocket side bearing in until it is "snug" up against the collar. The collar should be touching both bearings, but still movable
4) tap the sprocket holder bearing all the way in until it stops, put the little spacer between the hub and the sprocket carrier, cush drive etc.
5) Thread the two bearing retainers in nice and tight, center punch the threads 4 times (see pics)

Let me know if that sounds correct. I'm paranoid after reading about a guy who's bearing came loose and bound up - caused an accident

Lastly, could you guys just double check the above pics and let me know if anything looks out of wack? I torqued down the brake and sprocket bolts nice and tight, used the factory locking lipped washers on the sprocket.

Thanks a ton guys.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #21458 on: April 01, 2016, 10:21:17 am »
all looks well! the touching but still moveable is a good tip I've previously posted in the tips and tricks forum.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21459 on: April 01, 2016, 10:38:12 am »
+1 to #3 - -  if its TOO movable, the torquing of the axle displaces both inner bearing races from their respective outer races, and causes premature wear.  Ff the spacer jiggles, its too lose.  Finger tight and you're golden.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline riffman12

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21460 on: April 01, 2016, 11:08:06 am »
cool thanks guys. Sounds like I have it about right.

Last question for now: The Brake pivot arm / Torque link thing that attaches the rear caliper to the swingarm... how tight are the two bolts on that supposed to be? Each bolt has a crown nut with a little safety pin to hold it in place.

This thing:

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21461 on: April 01, 2016, 11:18:29 am »
6mm?
Id be confident at 7-8ftlbs with a cotter pin.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #21462 on: April 01, 2016, 12:46:44 pm »
Tighten it down not too snug, insert the cotter and make sure everything pivots. Torqueing not necessary.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline riffman12

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21463 on: April 01, 2016, 02:14:55 pm »
sweet thanks guys. I'll be busy this weekend

Offline hotdog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21464 on: April 01, 2016, 07:33:55 pm »
Is that 3 potatoes or 4? Will it make it miss on one cylinder? I'm confused, cos I want to be the first kid on my block with a 4 cylinder Harley! ;D

It's a "Big Bang" cam configuration. Basically the paired cylinders fire on the same spark. So instead of the nice smooth bang-bang-bang-bang we all know & love, you get BANG-BANG-rest-rest.  If you wana try it before you buy it, Terry, re-time one cam on ur Mighty Wang by 180* and you'll have an 800 pound hill climber!

Fcuk it, now I want a "Big Bang cam"! Hey hotty, can you make me one? ;D
Sorry uncle tez... the xs650 can can be chopped,indexed and pinned like this as its the centre hub of the cam and there's allowable room for the dowel pins and retaining screws...something you just couldn't do mid-way along a sohc/4 cam as there's just not enough "meat" on the Cam and no flange for the bolts.

The only way would be to get a custom Cam built up and then RE- ground to suit you intended use.

Or get the Cam parted off, sleeved and then welded. But alignment would be a nightmare......

=$$$

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:35:59 pm by hotdog »
Instagram - LUMPY CAM MOTORCYCLES
FB - LUMPY CAM Motorcycles

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #21465 on: April 02, 2016, 09:14:28 am »
Rhonda rides again!

Went for a quick shakedown ride today after setting float heights. Glad to be back on the road with her.

The bottom of the meniscus sits right at 3mm for all the carbs. I measured them all off the same carb so they're as equal as they're ever gonna get! They all had to come up about 2mm.

Pro tip: If you want to raise the float height without removing the float (and losing your needle) each time, you can reach in there and give the tang a pinch (to lower it) with some long-nose needle pliers. If you need to lower your fuel level, raise the tang up with a flat screwdriver. The hose for mine is made with an old drain plug that I cut the head off, and jammed onto a piece of 1/8" fuel line.

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline OneWheelDrive

• A journey of 1000 miles starts with your first carb overhaul.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21466 on: April 02, 2016, 01:55:08 pm »
Finished wetsanding, cutting, and buffing my new paint job.  I'm so pleased with the Spraymax 2k two-part clear coat in a can I used.  The color is Dupli-Color Dark Blue Metallic, same as FordGT.  Gotta just rebuild my seat and I'm pretty much done with the build!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:58:16 pm by OneWheelDrive »
1975 CB550 cafe
1971 CB500 stocker
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S *sold*
1973 CB350F *sold*
1975 CB550K Project "Keeper" *sold*
2010 Ducati Monster S4RS *sold*
1976 CB360T *sold*
1974 CB550K *sold*
1973 CB750K *sold*
1978 CB550K *sold*
2007 Vespa LX150 *sold*

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #21467 on: April 02, 2016, 05:11:51 pm »
That paint looks nice!  :)

I mostly reassembled the carbs for the XS650 and made up an aluminum bracket to replace the galvanized steel original.
Saved four or five ounces of weight and it's at lot shinier!  ;D
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #21468 on: April 02, 2016, 06:47:02 pm »
Is that 3 potatoes or 4? Will it make it miss on one cylinder? I'm confused, cos I want to be the first kid on my block with a 4 cylinder Harley! ;D

It's a "Big Bang" cam configuration. Basically the paired cylinders fire on the same spark. So instead of the nice smooth bang-bang-bang-bang we all know & love, you get BANG-BANG-rest-rest.  If you wana try it before you buy it, Terry, re-time one cam on ur Mighty Wang by 180* and you'll have an 800 pound hill climber!

Sorry uncle tez... the xs650 can can be chopped,indexed and pinned like this as its the centre hub of the cam and there's allowable room for the dowel pins and retaining screws...something you just couldn't do mid-way along a sohc/4 cam as there's just not enough "meat" on the Cam and no flange for the bolts.

The only way would be to get a custom Cam built up and then RE- ground to suit you intended use.

Or get the Cam parted off, sleeved and then welded. But alignment would be a nightmare......

=$$$

Thanks mate, I wondered if you could part it at the cam sprocket flange with one of those super thin 4 inch angle grinder discs while set up in your lathe, then weld the sucker back together with a screw in each screw hole, thus making it a perfect 180 degree rotation? I've got a few old cams at home, maybe I could give it a try? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline hotdog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21469 on: April 02, 2016, 08:07:50 pm »

=$$$

Thanks mate, I wondered if you could part it at the cam sprocket flange with one of those super thin 4 inch angle grinder discs while set up in your lathe, then weld the sucker back together with a screw in each screw hole, thus making it a perfect 180 degree rotation? I've got a few old cams at home, maybe I could give it a try? Cheers, Terry. ;D
Tez, parting off is the easy part. A supplier for xs650 cams in the u.s. does part them off and sleeve + weld as I've mentioned, mid Cam (so not at the flange).
Parting,boring,sleeving is all pretty straight foward machining. Getting someone to weld up the cast without it pulling is the tricky part, as well as having to cool it down super slow in a medium to lessen cracking etc....

You would still have to index it prior to cutting to allow for dowel pins to be inserted as per my xs Cam. Two 3 hole patterns and then rotate, press together over sleeve (size/size fit) and then weld, with some sort of fixture.

Have my K2 on eBay/gumtree at the moment also, if it sells I'll be offloading K0 if still interested....

Ciao

Instagram - LUMPY CAM MOTORCYCLES
FB - LUMPY CAM Motorcycles

Offline enwri

• Hot Shot
  • So that noise is normal?
« Reply #21470 on: April 03, 2016, 02:00:17 am »

=$$$

Yeah nah, I don't think that rattle is going to sync out.... :-\
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:02:01 am by enwri »
77 CB 750 k.. 29 years and counting.
91 TDM 850 (No.34) so comfy and soft
8? XJ 550 meh...
76 XL 350 Super Sport stump puller..
80 XR 200 idiot proof
75 MX 250 b dangerous

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #21471 on: April 03, 2016, 06:10:56 am »
Cam chain, oil pump and oil pan mounted.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline bigring

• Someone please tell me what to do
« Reply #21472 on: April 03, 2016, 07:33:19 am »
Finished wetsanding, cutting, and buffing my new paint job.  I'm so pleased with the Spraymax 2k two-part clear coat in a can I used.  The color is Dupli-Color Dark Blue Metallic, same as FordGT.  Gotta just rebuild my seat and I'm pretty much done with the build!

Wow!  Really love your paint job OneWheel - very much what I'm planning for mine. 

Offline knottedknickers

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21473 on: April 03, 2016, 08:06:06 am »
Swapped out my headlight for one with an H4 replaceable bulb, removed chain, rear wheel and sprockets (going +1 on the front and -1 on the rear).

Which headlight housing/bulb is this? Looks good!

It's Biker's Choice housing and an H4 bulb. Got it online from http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca. Cost was about $55 CDN. It's a lot lighter than the sealed beam it replaced... Guess I'll see how it holds up over a season.
Must'a got the last one... All I could find was https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/drag-specialties-7in-headlight-with-running-light-ds280189.html.
CB750 K6 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141388.0

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data" (Borgmann 2002:5).

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=j0ffubbo2j4u0j4okob2vb94r0&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #21474 on: April 03, 2016, 11:03:50 am »
split the 400 four engine
..faund a veared cam..but lifters and cam chain,,ans tensioners  looks fine.
..think some have been there and thanged some parts..but not all.
.have a spare engine.
.so just have to thek all parts ..and get so many parts from the good spare engine( had a bad gearbox) as possibel..so i not have so many mix parts running(it gives adjusting,,as they weares inn).

..viring at the coils vas bad so put nev vire at the heigh volt ends..

(sorry bad video..just for inspiration( think i can redigere it to a 5 sec info video)

after soldering the vires..just fill the hole up vith epoxy glue..
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 11:44:31 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords