Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3159992 times)

Offline theslayedsaint

• Hot Shot
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #21725 on: May 05, 2016, 09:02:47 am »
May have bought one....or two
1974 CB750 custom build cafe racer
-849cc big bore
-Webcam 63a
-APE rods
-4-1 stainless exhaust
-GSXR front end

Offline OllieCB

• Just a dad trying to keep the dream alive...
« Reply #21726 on: May 05, 2016, 09:16:06 am »
Started thinking about how to clean up the rear end. Still undecided on removing the grab bar as I use the center stand a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #21727 on: May 05, 2016, 09:58:25 am »
You can remove the big grab bar (which means remounting the turn signals) and use a K1 style handle on the left side for centerstand purposes. As I did.  Mine had a K2 wrap around grab bar originally.

Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline OllieCB

• Just a dad trying to keep the dream alive...
« Reply #21728 on: May 05, 2016, 10:00:17 am »
You can remove the big grab bar (which means remounting the turn signals) and use a K1 style handle on the left side for centerstand purposes. As I did.  Mine had a K2 wrap around grab bar originally.

I love it. On another note, do you see an adverse effects of removing the chain guard?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #21729 on: May 05, 2016, 10:05:28 am »
Just that you'll get dirty from the chain lube. Which, to me, is enough to demand one. To be a finished build, I think a chainguard, a proper length sidestand, and a front fender are required. BTJM

Also, I'm trying some drag racing and top speed runs and the sanctioning bodies require it.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #21730 on: May 05, 2016, 10:29:44 am »
You'll like that Lucas style light.

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

JWExperience

« Reply #21731 on: May 05, 2016, 04:05:07 pm »
I mounted up a cbr600f2 rear wheel, bled the front brakes and ran a wiring harness over the last couple days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jonda500

• I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!
  • Master
  • With our thoughts we make the world (Monkey Magic)
« Reply #21732 on: May 05, 2016, 05:49:06 pm »
Nothing yet, but yesterday I gave my 1st 500 some TLC. It has been sitting partially disassembled for over a year waiting for me to pull the engine out and put back in the original engine (after fixing with parts from this one in it). It looked too sad and sorry sitting like that so I reassembled all it's bits without fixing anything yet engine-wise.
(exhausts/engine covers/footpegs/kick&gearlevers/sidecovers/etc). One of the sidecovers has some new scratches  :'(
This literally took me all day as some of the smaller pieces had seemingly vanished  :-\ eventually I got it all back together with now just the clutch pushrod ball missing out of the sprocket cover..
So I just ordered fifty 8mm ball bearings on ebay for five bucks - a lifetime supply!
John
Remember that an ignoramus is only someone who doesn't know something you just learned yesterday!

A starter clutch thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,122084.0.html
1972 CB500K1 original 4 owner bike
1972 CB500K1 returned to complete/original condition
1975 CB550F built from parts - project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,149161.msg1711626.html#msg1711626
197? CB500/550 constructing from left over parts
1998 KTM 380 (two stroke) recent impulse buy, mmmm...

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #21733 on: May 05, 2016, 06:36:13 pm »
Put on a BT45

--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox

Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #21734 on: May 07, 2016, 02:07:00 am »
Well after a 3 week wait, my beautiful 1969 CB750K0 was delivered today, isn't it purty? ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #21735 on: May 07, 2016, 02:27:38 am »
 Alrighty then!! Sure is Terry, even got the 16" harley wheel ;D Ok tell me all about it ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 03:08:43 am by dhall57 »
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21736 on: May 07, 2016, 03:12:58 am »
Ha ha, no worries Dwight, here are the pics that Dale (Hotdog here) took for me. As you may know, I owned a 1970 K0 that I bought from a US member (Andy Morris) a few years ago, but I sold it a couple of years later. In 2009 I scored a set of 1969 engine cases (serial number 1010986) when I bought the crashed K2 that I rebuilt into "Goldie", the bike that won BOTM.

Ever since, I've been collecting K0 parts to build another one, but the hardest part was finding a frame. I mentioned it here and Dale told me that he had this one, so I made him an offer, which he refused. That hurt, it's a 1969 diecast with engine and frame numbers starting with 1012XXX, and as they're only a couple of hundred numbers apart, it may well be that the engine and frame started their marriage in the factory in 1969, unlike the rest of the bike, which is mostly K2. Anyway, a few weeks later he contacted me to say that he'd just put a deposit on a Harley, so if I still wanted it, it was mine for my original offer. Woohoo!

Only problem is that Dale lives in Hervey Bay, a bit over 1000 miles away. I did o couple of online quotes with "Mainstream" motorcycle courier companies, and they wanted more than I paid for the bike! Fark! I tried Uship, and got a couple of way better quotes, but then Dale came thru again, and organised for Dave Russell, a Melbourne based motorcycle courier (and stuntman) to collect it for me, for the bargain price of $400, around $1000 less than my first quotes.

Anyway, the big day arrived today, and Dave and his massive trailer arrived. By coincidence, the Fireblade on the back of his trailer was on eBay in Brisbane a few weeks ago, and I bid on it! (no, I didn't win it, but looking at it today, I wasn't that unhappy either) What I found interesting was that most of the bikes on the trailer were pretty forgettable old 1980's bikes, so the fact that people are happy to pay hundreds of dollars to have them trucked around the country shows just how keen folks here are on buying and rebuilding old bikes. Good stuff.

Sadly I have to drive back to Canberra tomorrow and I won't be coming home next weekend (going for a ride with the FJR1300 owners in Canberra) but as soon as I get a chance I'll start tearing into it, I might even start a build thread! Cheers, Terry. ;D 

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #21737 on: May 07, 2016, 06:53:44 am »
May have bought one....or two

Nice, I scored a CL recently myself.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #21738 on: May 07, 2016, 04:30:38 pm »
Ha ha, no worries Dwight, here are the pics that Dale (Hotdog here) took for me. As you may know, I owned a 1970 K0 that I bought from a US member (Andy Morris) a few years ago, but I sold it a couple of years later. In 2009 I scored a set of 1969 engine cases (serial number 1010986) when I bought the crashed K2 that I rebuilt into "Goldie", the bike that won BOTM.

Ever since, I've been collecting K0 parts to build another one, but the hardest part was finding a frame. I mentioned it here and Dale told me that he had this one, so I made him an offer, which he refused. That hurt, it's a 1969 diecast with engine and frame numbers starting with 1012XXX, and as they're only a couple of hundred numbers apart, it may well be that the engine and frame started their marriage in the factory in 1969, unlike the rest of the bike, which is mostly K2. Anyway, a few weeks later he contacted me to say that he'd just put a deposit on a Harley, so if I still wanted it, it was mine for my original offer. Woohoo!

Only problem is that Dale lives in Hervey Bay, a bit over 1000 miles away. I did o couple of online quotes with "Mainstream" motorcycle courier companies, and they wanted more than I paid for the bike! Fark! I tried Uship, and got a couple of way better quotes, but then Dale came thru again, and organised for Dave Russell, a Melbourne based motorcycle courier (and stuntman) to collect it for me, for the bargain price of $400, around $1000 less than my first quotes.

Anyway, the big day arrived today, and Dave and his massive trailer arrived. By coincidence, the Fireblade on the back of his trailer was on eBay in Brisbane a few weeks ago, and I bid on it! (no, I didn't win it, but looking at it today, I wasn't that unhappy either) What I found interesting was that most of the bikes on the trailer were pretty forgettable old 1980's bikes, so the fact that people are happy to pay hundreds of dollars to have them trucked around the country shows just how keen folks here are on buying and rebuilding old bikes. Good stuff.

Sadly I have to drive back to Canberra tomorrow and I won't be coming home next weekend (going for a ride with the FJR1300 owners in Canberra) but as soon as I get a chance I'll start tearing into it, I might even start a build thread! Cheers, Terry. ;D 

looks like you have some work to do!I like the look of the early barrels with the thick fins,something most don't see,but after I got a set I could see how much better they looked at least to me.bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21739 on: May 07, 2016, 06:18:18 pm »
Thanks Bill, this bike is a bit like Grandpa's axe, it's had 3 handles and 2 heads, but otherwise it's all original........ The cases are K0, but the head and cylinder block are off a later bike. That's not a problem, I've got a minty K0 head and a good K0 cylinder block here, that've been sitting in my garage for quite a while.

As I said in a previous post, I've got most of the parts I need, and I'm happy that Yamiya are selling their HM300's and a few smaller parts that I'll need. I was happy to see that this bike still has the correct engine mounts, something that I thought I might have to fab. Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline Corey

« Reply #21740 on: May 07, 2016, 07:29:06 pm »
Super busy day trying to get the k6 back on the road after it's accident.

Finished mounting up the new handlebars and all the stuff that mount to them. Put on the new rear turn signals and new gauges. Got the freshly painted headlight bucket reinstalled and rewired the bike back up. Put the carbs back on after making sure the the idle circuits were clean a few days ago before I go changing pilot jets to fix my lean idle issue. And had fun cleaning out the tank since I had a new petcock sitting around waiting to go in.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21741 on: May 09, 2016, 01:33:56 am »
Well I know that the "Form over function" folks here will probably hate this, but one thing I noticed on my recent 1000 mile weekend rides was that even in mild weather, I get dehydrated pretty quickly on long rides. Also, with winter here in Oz just around the corner, I want to keep doing those long rides, albeit with a few creature comforts.

I've often thought how cool (well, practical, if not cool) it would be, to be able to drink a cup of coffee or a cold drink while on the road. Yeah, it's good to get off, walk around and drink something every couple of hours (or as long as you can stand before your seat grows teeth) but the thought of drinking a brew on the fly was enough to make me check out eBay USA (hey, isn't America where they invented the cup holder?) and found this "RAM" Motorcycle self leveling cup holder, that actually leans with the bike!

It's freezing cold and howling down rain (well, not as cold as some places, but cold for here) but I'll still ride to work and back every day, so I might try it out tomorrow on my way to work, and I'm doing a 200 mile ride on Sunday with some local guys here in Canberra, so it'll probably get a work out then, all I need now is a heated coffee cup........ Cheers, Terry. ;D

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:35:43 am by Terry in Australia »

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #21742 on: May 09, 2016, 03:36:16 am »
  Looks like just the right size to fit a beer Terry !!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #21743 on: May 09, 2016, 04:04:43 am »
Do you ride with an open face helmet, Terry? Or a modular? Or do you intend to use a Sippy Cup or straw?

I've used a CamelBak (backpack style mounted hydration bladder) wen going long distances for the very reason you cited. Plus, some times when nature calls and you're away from civilization, its easiest to drink and leak at the same time. The CamelBak slips right on underneath the coat and uses a long drinking tube (much like the racing boys use I suspect) so any helmet type works.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21744 on: May 09, 2016, 04:55:33 am »
Thanks guys, yeah Eric, a beer would fit in there no worries, but I need to be careful as some states have banned chugging down a beer whilst riding. (well to be honest, I don't know if it applies to riding, it certainly does when you're driving?)

G'Day Cal, I wear a modular helmet, and behind the taller screen the wind pressure is not a problem if I need to raise the front of the helmet to take a sip. I used Camelbacks when I was in the Army, I'd use them just for water, but obviously not coffee or beer, er, I mean, Coca Cola, officer. I'm a bit worried about the "drink and leak" thing, I'm not really into re-cycling? ;D 

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #21745 on: May 09, 2016, 05:33:27 am »
My mother in law has a big cup holder that attaches to the crash bar on her Fat Boy. Looks very silly... At least yours is somewhat hidden, Terry!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=piicng80h9chcolm21c9ba5t02&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #21746 on: May 09, 2016, 06:12:32 am »
got the 400 engine ready..just need the elektric stuff...
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #21747 on: May 09, 2016, 03:06:26 pm »
   Picked up a new machine Saturday to add to my "Big Dawg" collection.  Its a 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S. Bought it from the older retired original owner with all the paperwork,manuals extra key etc. Had an even 7,000 miles on it when I drove it off. I met him 3 years ago when he was thinking of selling it,had 6800 miles then. This spring he decided it was time to hang it up. Came with some soft bags,and his helmets. His wife looked happy. Has a flat spot around 4.000 rpm right now.Gave it a good shot of Seafoam Sunday and rode it quite awhile and its getting better but it has been sitting. Hopefully fresh fuel and another good dose will keep me out of the carbs but want to check the valves, change oil and other things also so may dive in if needed,possibly jet kit in hand. These are known to be lean. Never been down or tipped over and anxious to wax and detail her out. Now lets see if I can find a good FJ1100/1200 next that still has all its gears in the tranny :D

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #21748 on: May 09, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »
First time in a while I rode one of the bikes to work. Today it was the KO.

1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #21749 on: May 09, 2016, 06:43:14 pm »
Replaced the gas cap latch on the K5. Now the garage smells a bit less like gas...
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T