Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3016751 times)

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #28475 on: April 01, 2020, 10:53:20 am »
A little late, but had this picked up for me yesterday. I came across this nice CBX and had to scoop it up for the price. Now I wait for delivery.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My favorite CBX color. There were a bunch at Mid-Ohio last year.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #28476 on: April 01, 2020, 05:18:46 pm »
A little late, but had this picked up for me yesterday. I came across this nice CBX and had to scoop it up for the price. Now I wait for delivery.

My favorite CBX color.

+1. I saw one recently in a corner of a motorcycle workshop looking like it needed some love and thought about making an offer, but I need to finish some projects before I start any more. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline vik351

• Enthusiast
  • Adelaide South Australia ...
« Reply #28477 on: April 01, 2020, 09:29:47 pm »
Was that Jon Munn's shop in Franga...???

vik...  ;)

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #28478 on: April 02, 2020, 12:23:22 am »

My favorite CBX color.

+1. I saw one recently in a corner of a motorcycle workshop looking like it needed some love and thought about making an offer, but I need to finish some projects before I start any more. ;D
I want one too!! :D Professionally restored with new cam chain and tensioner that is a service point, tricky to do.
Maybe something with the tensioner, order special built from Netherlands?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:25:29 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28479 on: April 02, 2020, 01:21:06 am »

vik...  ;)

No mate, close, it was a little shop in Mornington where I bought my Henry Abe front wheel, plus a couple of CB750 rear wheels and a Z900/1000 front wheel. The owner (as old as us) had lots of interesting bikes there, including a Seeley CB750, some Suzy 2 strokes, an SP1 like mine and the CBX, among others. I might have to go back for a second look.......... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline vik351

• Enthusiast
  • Adelaide South Australia ...
« Reply #28480 on: April 02, 2020, 02:43:15 am »

vik...  ;)

No mate, close, it was a little shop in Mornington where I bought my Henry Abe front wheel, plus a couple of CB750 rear wheels and a Z900/1000 front wheel. The owner (as old as us) had lots of interesting bikes there, including a Seeley CB750, some Suzy 2 strokes, an SP1 like mine and the CBX, among others. I might have to go back for a second look.......... ;D

Dont mate, ya said you were broke FFS...

Ya shure will be if ya go back ...!!!  ::)

vik...

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28481 on: April 02, 2020, 03:51:35 am »
Well the weather turned to crap today with lots of rain, but working from home as I am, I wasn't too fussed, no traffic, no tolls, no parking, just log on by 8am, and go make coffee and breakfast. By 4pm everything had gone quiet, so I sneaked out and reassembled my rear Henry Abe wheel.

Interestingly, the wheel bearings are two different OD's, something that I hadn't noticed before. They're good quality NSK sealed bearings, so I carefully picked the plastic seal off either side, and was happy to see that they were spotlessly clean under the seals, with no rust or crud in them.

Thursday wet wheel day 2 Apr 2020 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I flushed the old grease out with brake cleaner, then dried them, hit them with WD40's new (to me, at least) super penetrating fluid, then repacked them with good quality grease. There was absolutely no slop in them, so I called them good to go, and carefully tapped them back in, and loctited the retainer.

Thursday wet wheel day 2 Apr 2020 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Thursday wet wheel day 2 Apr 2020 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

My old Ma tells me it'll be a nice day tomorrow, so if so, I'll try to sneak away early and get these fitted to my K2 "Bitsa" bike. I really hope so. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28482 on: April 03, 2020, 03:41:44 am »
After 2 days of rain, the sun came out today, so I sneaked away from my computer and installed the new (to me) Henry Abe wheels, to replace the wobbly spoked wheels on my K2 bitsa. It took ages by the time I rebuilt the rear brakes and MacGyvered the brake stay arm to fit past the 150/80 rear tyre, but it's all good now, just a pity that the engine needs to come out so I can sort the gearbox lockup issue I had last ride. Oh well, it looks good, even if I can't ride it! ;D

TGIF HA Wheel day 3 Apr 2020 9c by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline SuperSport Charlie

« Reply #28483 on: April 04, 2020, 05:06:11 am »
Replaced shifter oil seal. Seems to have worked. No leak after a good zip to heat up oil and parked on side kickstand. Usually I would get a nickel sized drip of oil. I did notice former owner put a new chain on and it must be just a touch bigger because it appears to have rubbed for a bit. I might recheck and see if further damage is being done. Shim or buy a new chain. Social distancing for a good ride later today. Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #28484 on: April 04, 2020, 05:35:38 am »
Thats what happens with an O ring chain!
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline SuperSport Charlie

« Reply #28485 on: April 04, 2020, 05:39:39 am »
Now that you mention it that’s what the old owner told me. He upgraded chain. Thoughts on leaving it on or should I swap back to a non o ring chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #28486 on: April 04, 2020, 06:14:59 am »
Definately swap back to a non  O ring HD chain as those blanking plugs are not easy to get and need the cases split to replace.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=0hl6ank3sakcqaku8k359l6011&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #28487 on: April 04, 2020, 01:32:50 pm »
you can machine 2 mm of the front side, of the sprocket..it vill move it aut..and free up at the backside...had the same problem on my 550
do only turn a diameter so the Lock plate,,fits..dont turn the full autside
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:35:22 pm by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28488 on: April 04, 2020, 08:27:00 pm »
Definately swap back to a non  O ring HD chain as those blanking plugs are not easy to get and need the cases split to replace.

Yep, I'm not an O Ring chain devotee Bryan, there's nothing wrong with them, but a well maintained quality non-O ring chain will last just as long if not longer, and some folks think having an O ring chain means they don't need to lube it, which is a fallacy. I put a non-o ring chain on my CB750 a couple of years ago, and I was lucky I did, because it just clears the monster 150/80-16 tyre I fitted to my Henry Abe back wheel. If I'd popped for a wider O ring chain, it would have made contact with the sidewall. ;D

TGIF HA Wheel day 3 Apr 2020 8 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #28489 on: April 05, 2020, 01:49:27 am »
Made it look a bit better with my favourite paint

Satin black......Matt Black is soooooo 90s
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28490 on: April 05, 2020, 01:58:58 am »
Made it look a bit better with my favourite paint

Satin black......Matt Black is soooooo 90s

That does look good mate, matt black is only good for poor quality custom cars to hide wobbly panels, and school blackboards......... ;D

Offline 750K5

• agentsmith5
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #28491 on: April 07, 2020, 02:41:22 pm »
Polished fork lowers ;D

Online wolf550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28492 on: April 08, 2020, 05:00:43 pm »
the side covers are off the 550 to start making my sand mold frames.
took awhile for me to drink enough beers to get a good amount of cans for these bad boys.
going to see if they turn out as good as the finned side covers.
fingers crossed
74' CB550 (Sold)
71' CB500/550 (Sold)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28493 on: April 09, 2020, 05:44:46 pm »
took awhile for me to drink enough beers to get a good amount of cans for these bad boys.
fingers crossed

That will be interesting mate, maybe you should start a separate "sand casting" thread? My cousin has a very rare french sports car from WW1 era, that came without the engine and gearbox, which were one single unit, like our bikes. He got onto a guy who also had one of these cars, who generously loaned my cuz all of the crankcases etc, and my cuz was building the casting boxes and having someone cast them for him.

He never finished the project as the other guy died (prostate cancer) but then he found another guy in Britain who had an engine and gearbox complete, so bought it and had it shipped out to Oz. I do like the idea of casting parts, and 3D printers are handy things nowadays, for making parts that you can then re-cast in metal. ;D   

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #28494 on: April 09, 2020, 06:58:49 pm »
fingers crossed

That will be interesting mate, maybe you should start a separate "sand casting" thread? My cousin has a very rare french sports car from WW1 era, that came without the engine and gearbox, which were one single unit, like our bikes. He got onto a guy who also had one of these cars, who generously loaned my cuz all of the crankcases etc, and my cuz was building the casting boxes and having someone cast them for him.

He never finished the project as the other guy died (prostate cancer) but then he found another guy in Britain who had an engine and gearbox complete, so bought it and had it shipped out to Oz. I do like the idea of casting parts, and 3D printers are handy things nowadays, for making parts that you can then re-cast in metal. ;D   

Some of the things they're printing now Terry are metal & usable right away. 8)
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28495 on: April 09, 2020, 07:07:43 pm »
fingers crossed

Some of the things they're printing now Terry are metal & usable right away. 8)

Yep, I thought about that too mate, but I believe that those sort of 3D printers are still a little too expensive for mere mortals like me. ;D

Online wolf550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28496 on: April 09, 2020, 07:52:31 pm »
Definitely I would want to start a CB casting thread here that would be awesome

The wife looked at my bags of cans and said do something with those or get rid of em so I have her to thank
I feel confident that my 4kg crucible and upgraded forge is big enough to cast one at a time
seeing that this has been done by others with Casting these side covers I feel confident in making em
next up who knows Im going to see how much aluminum I will need to making finned chain cover and finned clutch covers

I will update on the results when this lovely rain decides to disperse
74' CB550 (Sold)
71' CB500/550 (Sold)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #28497 on: April 10, 2020, 03:26:56 am »
Definitely I would want to start a CB casting thread here that would be awesome

The wife looked at my bags of cans and said do something with those or get rid of em so I have her to thank
I feel confident that my 4kg crucible and upgraded forge is big enough to cast one at a time
seeing that this has been done by others with Casting these side covers I feel confident in making em
next up who knows Im going to see how much aluminum I will need to making finned chain cover and finned clutch covers

I will update on the results when this lovely rain decides to disperse

Cast in sand or pressure cast?

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #28498 on: April 10, 2020, 03:28:49 am »
I took the 900 to fill her up and around the block and when I got home my left shoe lace was stuck on foot peg or shifter or something.  I almost put her down in my driveway  :D

Offline Handlebar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #28499 on: April 10, 2020, 06:36:58 am »
Oil and filter, installed a megaphone Mac redtip. Restarted her up after a 5 month rest, tweaked the IMS know at 1.75. Tire pressures at low 22lb cold. 38 degrees here in the Mitten