Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3145911 times)

Online newday777

• Old Timer
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #33175 on: July 26, 2024, 05:43:27 am »
I cleaned up some K7/K8/F2 header heat defusers on the wire wheel. Did a final brushing with a brass brush.
They look lots better.
But now, I'm gonna have to do some cleaning up of the shelf behind the bench grinder......lots of wires and dust all over everything.....everywhere.
Note to self.....hook up a vacuum next time around!!!
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline M 750K6

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33176 on: July 26, 2024, 02:46:33 pm »
Went for a ride then gave it a 44,000 mile service. Nearly 3,000 miles since rebuild. All looking really good. Just need to work out why plug no.2 is stubbornly lean.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33177 on: July 26, 2024, 05:02:36 pm »
I cleaned up some K7/K8/F2 header heat defusers on the wire wheel. Did a final brushing with a brass brush.
They look lots better.
But now, I'm gonna have to do some cleaning up of the shelf behind the bench grinder......lots of wires and dust all over everything.....everywhere.

Those turned out well! I wish there as a way to keep them looking like that!

Online newday777

• Old Timer
« Reply #33178 on: July 26, 2024, 06:49:52 pm »
They look lots better.

I was thinking maybe spraying high heat engine clear but that may not be high enough temp rated???
Stu
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #33179 on: July 26, 2024, 08:33:14 pm »
They look lots better.

I was thinking maybe spraying high heat engine clear but that may not be high enough temp rated???

I sprayed the Duplicolor Engine enamel clear on one of those clamps,didn't like how it turned dark later.
I coated a set of them with a brush with some quality 'bright chrome' silver paint(not engine heat paint)in a can and so far it looks bright and not discolored.  :)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Sw1ssdude

« Reply #33180 on: July 29, 2024, 02:12:25 am »
I didnt do anything to my bike directly, but i built an engine cradle for it. I am about to find out where the loud rattling noise is coming from...
It's not a big motorcycle, just a groovy little motorbike...

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #33181 on: July 29, 2024, 07:36:46 am »
Nice work, almost a bike frame.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Online newday777

• Old Timer
« Reply #33182 on: July 29, 2024, 07:54:06 am »
Nice work, almost a bike frame.

That's what my plan is with one of my rusted frames. I liked this when I saw it posted.
Stu
My current rides

Prior bikes....

Offline MisterKnife

« Reply #33183 on: July 30, 2024, 05:51:19 am »
Finally did my fork swap and redid all the electronics. (on my todo for over a year) happy with the result.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33184 on: July 31, 2024, 04:41:42 pm »
After the three day ride my son and I did a month ago, the K3 has been sitting in the shop. Filthy and neglected. I needed a break today from the Sandcast, so did it all. Repaired the broken start button (actually replaced it because it fell out and the pin and spring disappeared too). When I opened the switch, discovered the “push” cable was broken and the “pull” cable only had a few strands left”. Replaced both.

Next up was the broken rear brake light switch. Fell apart in my hands, good used one installed. Then discovered a really weird thing. The drive chain is much too tight…. How does that happen? Chain shrink?? Brushed it clean(sort of), lubed and adjust. Oil and filter next time. It desperately needs a wash, but will wait for cooler weather. Bike is ready for the next adventure. We’re planning to do the “Pick Axe Loop” again in the Fall and hopefully something else between now and then….
« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 05:24:19 pm by BenelliSEI »

Online newday777

• Old Timer
« Reply #33185 on: August 01, 2024, 03:45:50 am »
After the three day ride my son and I did a month ago, the K3 has been sitting in the shop. Filthy and neglected.

The drive chain is much too tight…. How does that happen? Chain shrink?? Brushed it clean(sort of), lubed and adjust.

Dirt in the chain will make it tight and stiff. Did you ride on dirt roads during those 3 days?
Did you clean the chain with a grunge brush and diesel fuel? Messy job but it brings life back to the chain. I had to do it a week ago to my K5.
Stu
My current rides

Prior bikes....

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33186 on: August 01, 2024, 04:37:26 am »
After the three day ride my son and I did a month ago, the K3 has been sitting in the shop. Filthy and neglected.

The drive chain is much too tight…. How does that happen? Chain shrink?? Brushed it clean(sort of), lubed and adjust.

Dirt in the chain will make it tight and stiff. Did you ride on dirt roads during those 3 days?
Did you clean the chain with a grunge brush and diesel fuel? Messy job but it brings life back to the chain. I had to do it a week ago to my K5.

I did. It was really snug, even on the side stand! Will check it again after next ride.

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #33187 on: August 01, 2024, 07:23:20 am »
What is the other bike in the photo?
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline M 750K6

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33188 on: August 02, 2024, 03:10:47 pm »
130 miles today on my 750k6. But, only just managed to get home. It stalled on me a few times and occasionally missing. The ignition and neutral tell tale lights and starter were without power (probably all lights / everything, but not convenient to check, as i was in traffic!), with the ignition switched on. It came back to life each time when I jiggled the key. Faulty ignition switch.

I had previously re-soldered one of the connections in the back, so I thought this was my problem. However, on checking, it seems perfectly fine. However, the problem was repeatable in my garage, by jiggling the key in the switch, while holding everything else completely still. The key action felt a little crunchy. I couldn't see a way to get it open, to look inside. Maybe 3 plastic lugs hold the case to the baseplate. Didn't fancy breaking it by over-forcing it. So I liberally squirted electrical cleaner down into the key slot and into the tiny hole in the side of the plastic switch case and held it lock face down, to allow it to drip dry, then repeated. What came out was a bit dirty, but not awful. I also cleaned up the multi pin plug, while it was undone.

The key action is now direct and smooth, with a more positive mechanical click and I cannot repeat the problem in my garage. Seems too easy a fix though! Guess I'll have to run it locally a few times to see if that's fixed it and to build up confidence.

Online newday777

• Old Timer
« Reply #33189 on: August 02, 2024, 03:23:09 pm »
130 miles today on my 750k6. But, only just managed to get home. It stalled on me a few times and occasionally missing. The ignition and neutral tell tale lights and starter were without power (probably all lights / everything, but not convenient to check, as i was in traffic!), with the ignition switched on. It came back to life each time when I jiggled the key. Faulty ignition switch.

I had previously re-soldered one of the connections in the back, so I thought this was my problem. However, on checking, it seems perfectly fine. However, the problem was repeatable in my garage, by jiggling the key in the switch, while holding everything else completely still. The key action felt a little crunchy. I couldn't see a way to get it open, to look inside. Maybe 3 plastic lugs hold the case to the baseplate. Didn't fancy breaking it by over-forcing it. So I liberally squirted electrical cleaner down into the key slot and into the tiny hole in the side of the plastic switch case and held it lock face down, to allow it to drip dry, then repeated. What came out was a bit dirty, but not awful. I also cleaned up the multi pin plug, while it was undone.

The key action is now direct and smooth, with a more positive mechanical click and I cannot repeat the problem in my garage. Seems too easy a fix though! Guess I'll have to run it locally a few times to see if that's fixed it and to build up confidence.
There are springs and ball bearings in the lock sets that get gummed up and need cleaning as you did. I've brought back a couple like that. Should be fine.
Stu
My current rides

Prior bikes....

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33190 on: August 05, 2024, 05:51:07 am »

I’ve “repaired” a few, only to have them fail when miles from home……

Offline ts354

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33191 on: August 05, 2024, 07:20:02 am »
Finally did my fork swap and redid all the electronics. (on my todo for over a year) happy with the result.

Can you share some info on the the swap, or do you have a build thread going?

Offline M 750K6

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33192 on: August 05, 2024, 02:52:42 pm »

I’ve “repaired” a few, only to have them fail when miles from home……
Was fine yesterday. Started blinking again today. I've ordered a replacement from David Silver. They only have repros, not oem, so not sure what I'm in for. But less than £20 delivered.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #33193 on: August 11, 2024, 01:14:40 am »
Well I'm hoping that we're having an early Spring. Speaking of Spring, being such a beautiful day today, Spotty and I drove over to collect my poor abandoned K0 from the storage place and pull the engine out to fix some oil leaks, and install the Yamiya pipes that I've still got in the unopened box that I've been meaning to install all year. As expected, the bike was covered in dust, and the tyres were pretty low on air, as I haven't ridden it since January(?) last year.

The reason I haven't been riding it is that it started running on two cylinders, and swapping out the electronic ignition made no difference. Anyway, I decided that with Spotty's help, I could get it fixed and running again properly, and install those new pipes. The first problem though, was when I backed my "ute" up to the trailer, only to discover that someone had stolen my towbar! Fcukers! I assume it was the same arseholes who smashed the back window of the wife's Hyundai a few weeks ago and either tried to steal it, or just steal things out of it. I've bought a security camera that I'm going to mount on the front of my house to monitor the sidewalk, so if I hear a noise I can see who's lurking outside, and shoot them with my air rifle. I won't kill them of course, I'll just dissuade them from ever touching my vehicles again..... Anyway, Spotty had a spare, and after drilling new mounting holes for it, we hitched the trailer and drove over to the storage unit to collect the poor old K0.

K0 first ride in 2 years. 11 August 2024. by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

We took it back to Spotty's place, and I couldn't help but turn the ignition on, to see how the 4 year old Motobatt battery was doing, as it hasn't been near a charger in those 4 years, and after almost two years of sitting, I expected to be flat. Surprisingly the neutral light looked pretty bright and the horn beeped loudly (well, as loud as any CB750 horn) so I opened the gas tank, hoping it wasn't full of rust, but as it was almost full, there was no rust evident. Bonus. I couldn't help myself, I pulled on the choke and gave it 3 kicks, and it fired up, on all 4 cylinders! Amazing!

I let it warm up and then hit the engine with some degreaser and then hit that with the pressure washer, and the engine looked spotless! We stopped for lunch and then I had to pump the tyres up and go for a lap around the block. The bike ran great despite the old fuel in the tank, and while the master cylinder needs rebuilding, the front brake still worked, sort of. I asked Spotty if he'd like to take it for a ride, and he was keen, so I took a short video of his return, his yelling was something to do with the fact that he hasn't ridden a CB750 in awhile, and actually expected the front brake to work, like they do on more modern bikes.

By this stage we (well, me really) decided that it was too late to start pulling the engine out, so we'll do that next weekend, see if there's a loose wire to the coils, replace the cam cover gasket and alternator cover gasket after using the "sandpaper on glass" method of flattening the two cover's gasket surfaces a tad, shove the engine back in, install the new pipes, give it an oil and filter change, and hopefully, go for a decent ride. It'll be nice to have it back as a regular rider, especially on sunny days like today. ;D

K0 first ride in 2 years. 11 August 2024. 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 01:19:02 am by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Online newday777

• Old Timer
« Reply #33194 on: August 11, 2024, 02:20:46 am »
That's great that you got the K0 out for a bit Terry before you address the issues with it. Nice to see you had warm enough for Tshirt weather. I hope the fixes and pipes install goes quickly so you get some advantage of the coming spring riding on it.
Andy S rode up to ride with me yesterday and he had a short delay on the way up from his place in Boston, also a loose connection of a coil power wire a short distance from his house, he also hadn't ridden the K2(w/K4 dressings) in a while because of the intermittent poor running and was glad it was a simple crimp the connectors tighter fix on the roadside. He got a couple hundred miles ride in after the fix without any more issue the rest of the day.
Stu
My current rides

Prior bikes....

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #33195 on: August 14, 2024, 04:59:47 pm »
It is a SOHC but a 1964 Twin,a CA95. Got it running quite nicely. Getting closer to be able to ride it.
[https://youtu.be/lQcL5L-nazM]

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #33196 on: August 14, 2024, 07:27:50 pm »
Cliff, she's gorgeous and you have her really well tuned and running lovely. One of nicest CA95 Benly Touring 150s I have seen in a long time. It should command a good price whenever you part ways with it...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Cruiser

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33197 on: August 15, 2024, 11:41:29 pm »
I took her on a long 450km ride through the Belgian/French country side. What a machine
Honda CB550 Four K3 1978
BMW R1150RT 2004

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #33198 on: August 15, 2024, 11:45:51 pm »
Cruiser, nice
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Cruiser

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33199 on: August 15, 2024, 11:51:21 pm »
Cruiser, nice

Thx, was a really nice ride, loved the French countryside, hated going back into Belgium (bad roads).

Time to renew the rear shocks though... Other then that, loved every minute of it.
Honda CB550 Four K3 1978
BMW R1150RT 2004