Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3146236 times)

Offline michrobi

• Goldenrod blew a 5" hole out the front with a
  • Hot Shot
  • On a neverending quest for more garage space
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #1675 on: April 06, 2010, 09:05:56 pm »
I learned that a good ID bore gauge is an investment.

:o
-Mike

'78 CB750F All stock except for the powerplant. Jived it off my Dad in the spring of '94. He had it since 1980 and it's the first bike I ever rode on.

Current project: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67756

How's them SOHC4 patches coming?

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #1676 on: April 06, 2010, 09:16:17 pm »
I learned that a good ID bore gauge is an investment.

:o
If you're a machinist....it's a must have investment!!  (damn!!!!....how do ya really spell machinist????.....don't look right!!)
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #1677 on: April 07, 2010, 01:45:54 am »
Talked to the guy about the wrong forks he sent me.  Got my carb kits in, stared at IC's gauges, still waiting on right forks, rim, rotors, new tires and chain.  Looked at the project car in my garage preventing me from working on the my 750.  Anyone want to buy a 79 formula firebird?   ;D
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #1678 on: April 07, 2010, 01:51:36 am »
(damn!!!!....how do ya really spell machinist?Huh.....don't look right!!)

Blokewitha#$%*loadofexpensivetools....... ;D  There ya go Mr B..... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1679 on: April 07, 2010, 02:10:17 am »
took my front wheel off to get a new tyre,battlax bt45,i like em,this ones done 20,000.

Offline weekend_junkie

• I bet you think I'm some
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 15859
« Reply #1680 on: April 07, 2010, 08:21:07 am »
Mounted new tires and tubes on the 350F... now I realize that my forks are bent.  >:(
Dan
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer / 1981 CB900F / 2002 VFR800 / 1973 CB350F / 1973 CB350F mistake / 1976 CB360T Cafe /1976 CB200 Cafe / 1989 GL1500 w/ sidecar / 1949 IMZ w/ sidecar

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=c6hjp7mh5567rsab8iijjvjag0&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1681 on: April 07, 2010, 08:25:44 am »
the engine are rusted to frame..damed ..those bolts are baaaaad,,some heating done the job..that 400 f 1975,,are rusty
payed for mutch for it,,1000 euro,,,but i vas in love..and crasy :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:28:51 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #1682 on: April 07, 2010, 09:39:30 am »
(damn!!!!....how do ya really spell machinist?Huh.....don't look right!!)

Blokewitha#$%*loadofexpensivetools....... ;D  There ya go Mr B..... ;)

Mick
Thanks for the spell check Mick.....that looks right!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline turninwheels

« Reply #1683 on: April 07, 2010, 10:13:41 am »
i'm mounted the front forks on the newly painted frame, ready to put the wheels back on then the motor...not bad for a days work...maybe should quite the day job...NOPE, then i wouldn't have any money for parts...the kunumdrum... :-[
"high powered suicide machine."

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
« Reply #1684 on: April 07, 2010, 10:17:33 am »
I logged around 100 miles today, all within about 20 miles of home. There are a lot of nice little backroads tucked away around here and I think I hit them all this morning.
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #1685 on: April 07, 2010, 01:11:57 pm »
Turned 30,000 mi Monday but didn't notice (I know, I know)  but was happy to throw on another 20 miles this morning to and from school.  Great to not pay to park AND have a guaranteed spot right up front. :D
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #1686 on: April 07, 2010, 01:14:40 pm »
threw in the iridium plugs and damnit, it will absolutely need more fuel, so tomorrow off to the honda dealer for some bigger main jets.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline 75cb550 (kyle)

• so you're calling me a
  • Hot Shot
  • KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH
    • My Album
« Reply #1687 on: April 07, 2010, 01:34:07 pm »
gonna go home and adjust/clean & lube chain and install my new brake light. yesterday i put together my new brake light and inadvertantly cracked the glass lens... pretty happy about that.

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #1688 on: April 07, 2010, 05:26:04 pm »
Rode it !... 300 miles ( today and yesterday). Turned 26,000 miles on it.... 750K1.  It only started sounding like a CB750 ( you know it when it happens!) after about 200 miles and thru' some 15 mile long twisties.... 3rd gear on and off the throttle, can't describe it but it sounded totally 'tuned'....... have ya been there?
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #1689 on: April 07, 2010, 05:37:16 pm »
Rode it !... 300 miles ( today and yesterday). Turned 26,000 miles on it.... 750K1.  It only started sounding like a CB750 ( you know it when it happens!) after about 200 miles and thru' some 15 mile long twisties.... 3rd gear on and off the throttle, can't describe it but it sounded totally 'tuned'....... have ya been there?
Yeah, when the temps are right, those pipes make a sweet note. 8)
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #1690 on: April 07, 2010, 09:42:23 pm »
threw in the iridium plugs and damnit, it will absolutely need more fuel, so tomorrow off to the honda dealer for some bigger main jets.

Hey BK let me know how you like those plugs I just picked up a set of ngk iridium's.  Why do you need to change jets did you change heat ranges?
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #1691 on: April 07, 2010, 09:59:09 pm »
well according to alot of folks these plugs do a much more complkete burn, requiring a little more fuel. before i put the new iridium plugs in a put in a bgrand new set of d8ea plugs and ran it on a 15 mile loop i do, then i did the ground electrode mod described on the cyclex website (it really does work!) and found the bike running nice and crisp but with no lean symptoms like popping on deceleration, less power up top with more heat, the plugs all had that pretty light coffee color. then i went to the iridiums and immediately started showing symptoms such as very white plugs even after readjusting low speed mixture and re-oiling the k+n filter in the stock airbox. before i get new jets i'm going to try dropping the needle clip position a notch or 2 and see if that remedies the situation. brand new oem carb rubbers and all and even though this motor was just re-done i did a complete check on it and all was perfect mechanically with identical compression across all 4 (i fudged valve clearances a tough to get that identical compression across all 4, something i learned at AMI) and after making sure all was well electrically and mechanically (it was perfect before and after changing over to the iridiums) so it seemed some of the hype really is true about these iridiums. i have 122.5 mains in the K6 carbs with honda rebuild kits in the carbs.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1692 on: April 08, 2010, 03:00:14 am »
well according to alot of folks these plugs do a much more complkete burn, requiring a little more fuel. before i put the new iridium plugs in a put in a bgrand new set of d8ea plugs and ran it on a 15 mile loop i do, then i did the ground electrode mod described on the cyclex website (it really does work!) and found the bike running nice and crisp but with no lean symptoms like popping on deceleration, less power up top with more heat, the plugs all had that pretty light coffee color. then i went to the iridiums and immediately started showing symptoms such as very white plugs even after readjusting low speed mixture and re-oiling the k+n filter in the stock airbox. before i get new jets i'm going to try dropping the needle clip position a notch or 2 and see if that remedies the situation. brand new oem carb rubbers and all and even though this motor was just re-done i did a complete check on it and all was perfect mechanically with identical compression across all 4 (i fudged valve clearances a tough to get that identical compression across all 4, something i learned at AMI) and after making sure all was well electrically and mechanically (it was perfect before and after changing over to the iridiums) so it seemed some of the hype really is true about these iridiums. i have 122.5 mains in the K6 carbs with honda rebuild kits in the carbs.

I wish I had run some other plugs in mine, I went straight to the iridiums and have no base to work from. I think I'm going to start by putting a little advance in the timing and re-oiling the pods and see what that gets me. I thought about trying the cycle x poor man's jet kit, on a homemade scale though.
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #1693 on: April 08, 2010, 10:46:20 am »
I tried making some kind of a contraption to get my bike on the motorcycl/ATV jack (Sears Craftman) with the pipe still on the bike...still need to get it right
I am totally open to any ideas if anyone has done this!!! Driving me nuts!!

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #1694 on: April 08, 2010, 11:35:19 am »
I tried making some kind of a contraption to get my bike on the motorcycl/ATV jack (Sears Craftman) with the pipe still on the bike...still need to get it right

go back to march 7 on this thread. someone did it.
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #1695 on: April 08, 2010, 02:49:44 pm »

Something like this?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:52:53 pm by OldSchool_IsCool »
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #1696 on: April 08, 2010, 03:43:20 pm »
ya how do you support the back of the bike?
I got the front part like that (well not as nice looking) but I need to support the back to keep it from teetering

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #1697 on: April 08, 2010, 03:48:50 pm »
ya how do you support the back of the bike?
I got the front part like that (well not as nice looking) but I need to support the back to keep it from teetering

I use a small block of 2x4 and a couple shims.  It picks up the back by the folded center stand.
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1698 on: April 08, 2010, 08:43:26 pm »
Rode it!  Finally got the carbs sorted and it is running good for the first time since I bought it 5 months ago. Now time to start polishing the cases...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #1699 on: April 08, 2010, 08:45:14 pm »
washed it and patched up an exhaust leak.  looks like my left 4/4 cans are going to hell in a handbasket now, too.  :P

Had a weird vibration at exactly 5k rpms, and little blips above and below it.  Figured out it was my shortened kickstand against the exhaust heat shield.  While I was pondering how to fix the vibration, I took some JBWeld (the stick/putty kind) and a can, couple clamps and patched the exhaust leak (it's a bubbly crack in the can, so most likely rusting through from the inside, just above the most-likely-clogged drip nipple in the bottom)

After patching this, I kicked up the kickstand again to see where it came.  Now it hit the pipe clamp. 

It gave me an idea.

I took a patch of buffalo leather and wrapped it around the flat plate on the rear-facing side of the kickstand (no pics, but 650 kickstands are the type with the rubber kick-nub on the bottom) and secured it with a bread tie.  Used a touch of grip glue just to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

When the stand gets kicked up, the thick leather hits the pipe clamp and is very much muted.  The leather is in turn protected from the worst of the heat by the raised part of the clamp, and being as far back as it is on the pipes, it'll most likely be ok from there.
I felt pretty witty.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:00:25 pm by Kit »
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale