Author Topic: TZ 750  (Read 13171 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Re: TZ 750
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 01:04:16 pm »
Classic Motorcycle Mechanics has a current article on the TZ........with pics.......watch out for copyrightes.........
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 01:55:55 pm »
the 750 is too dear , they sell over here for around 15 grand and unless they have a very good history [ which can be verified ] there not worth much more.
the TD!C  does look nice and original

Had a ride on a 1C at Aintree back in 74, It was a drag race up the back straight. Had to go all around the circuit the wrong way to get back to the pits ;D ;D ;D
Where is Mr Hall from Simon, is he local?
I think your cam shipped out today as well. ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 02:59:03 pm »
mr hall hails from the wilds of yorkshire [ wrong side of the hills to you and me sam ! ]
for any american readers yorkshire people are a bit like the scots but without the generous nature
bouncing bob has run that 750 for 30 years on ten quid , some old tram tickets and a jar of bovril

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 03:02:17 pm »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline kayaker43

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 07:15:40 pm »
My CB550 superbike project got put on hold, I found something more fun. TZ750E one owner original with lots of spares $25,000. Still has original slicks from 1982, it sat in a dealer showroom for 27 years.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:40:54 pm by kayaker43 »

Offline malcolmgb

• What am I not? an
  • Expert
  • The BEST 400 four by far
    • malcnet
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 09:07:17 am »
Still has original slicks from 1982, it sat in a dealer showroom for 27 years.
Sounds like 'Mr Hall' might do you a deal on the tyres.  ;)
Malcolm

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

1977 CB400F
1973 CL175 K7
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=1988

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
  • There aint no pickle like a super pickle...
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 09:42:25 am »
Great googely moogely! That is one gorgeous bike even without the bodywork on it Kayaker!

1976 CB750K - Cafe Project...taking forever
1984 Honda MB-5 - MB-8 conversion in process
2001 Ducati 748 - Built 996 motor sleeper

ow31

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 01:12:56 pm »
bouncing bob has run that 750 for 30 years on ten quid , some old tram tickets and a jar of bovril

Nay come on Simon I aint wasting the bovril on it!!!.
  How you doing matey, hope that arms ok now. As for the crankcases , JP Mestre is currently making a batch of 10 sets, all spoken for as far as I know but hopefully he will make another batch. He has the patterns for the sandcast cases, where he got them from I do not know but he says he has them so thats one of the biggest costs of reproducing them sorted. With a bit of luck it will mean that even more people will actually run the bikes now. Replica frames are available so there is nothing to stop people building them. I currently have orders for 4 sets of pipes all going on new projects and all on bikes that are supposingly being built to race. (One set going out to australia and the other 3 for bikes in the uk.) As you know Simon, we have heard that before but we can hope that they actually do appear out on track.
  Rob

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 03:11:55 pm »
hi rob
glad you have got a few orders for your 750 pipes [ they are the best i have ever tried by some way ] and it would be great if the bikes came out to race , unfortunately most of these bikes are now owned by people who prefer to talk about them rather than race them and sadly they will at best be used for the odd parade . of the ones currently being raced there are only few [ 3 ] being ridden hard [ yes yours is one ! ]  . for me cases where a big issue . its been a long time since i have seen a good set and i wouldn't like to race on most of the ones that are out there . if the mestre cases are as good as his other stuff [ i think jpx do his casting ] i do think more people will buy 750s to actually race . i would buy a set myself but hes making some kawasaki tandem twins and i would really love one of those !
my arm is as good as its going to get so no more racing for me , joel williams is driving me mad to let him do a couple of classic club meetings on a waddon [ although when he saw gourleys times from cadwell he took fright ! ] and would still like to do something with roy . there are very few front runners a crmc riding there own bikes now days which is making it very hard for the likes of you and roy to be competitive [ although i assume you won the championship this year ? ]
me and flower  bumped into your boy at the thundersport meeting at brands , drank all his tea and gave him the benefit of all our years of experience , he reckoned we where like the two old men on the muppets !!!

ow31

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 10:41:19 am »
Hi Simon, know what you mean about the guys who would rather talk than race. As they say "talk is cheap" and they do talk a good race. All the 750 pipes I currently have ordered are going to guys who already have origional bikes and are putting together bikes either using spondon frames or the Bill Howarth frames, as they dont want to use their "origional " bikes. So hopefully they may actually get used in anger. Ok on the Kr that Jean Paul is building, I understand it is well on its way and he plans to have it out on track next season. That would be something to build for the 250/350 class. Didnt know he was going to make more than one but if so get forward. There cant be much you dont know about the idiosincrasis of a disc valve motors. Just looking into the jet box you used to carry around with you for your waddon was more than enough for me!!!. Ok on staying competative, yes it aint easy and the fact that I will be 55 this coming season doesnt make it any easier, but well keep going while ever we can. Fine on seeing our Stuart at brands, yes he,s been struggling for grip quite a bit this year but he,s now been and bought an 2008 ex bsb superbike for next season so hopefully he,ll get the results with this one. Got a bit sick of seeing him trying too hard on a bike that wasnt really up to the job so looking forward to next season. Anyway from one old git to another , all the best mate and look after yourself.
    Rob
  PS. if Roy wont ride the Kr tell him I will and I,m sure he,ll change his mind!!!!!!!.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 02:15:06 pm »
stuart always try's to hard!!!  racing a stock suzuki 1000 [ 5 years old ] against proper superbikes was never going to be easy im amazed he could even see the leaders never mind race with them . good luck to you both next season , hope you are both champions again , unless of course you are racing against one of my bikes !!

Offline malcolmgb

• What am I not? an
  • Expert
    • malcnet
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2009, 05:28:02 am »
       There are approx a 12  to 15 tz 750,s (solo,s and sidecars) now being raced in the uk quite regularely and they are all using cases that are over 25 years old as there as not been any new ones available for many year. However that will change quite soon as the first batch of new cases is currently being made in france so hopefully we may see even more tz 750,s out on track next season.

Is this possibly the reason Richard Parker seems to have problems with Ivor Dyche's Rustic Racing 750? It certainly isn't him as his TZ and John Davis Honda results show.
Malcolm

1977 CB400F
1973 CL175 K7
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 07:58:31 am »
hi malc , riding a 750 is alot different to a 350 or for that matter a honda twin . richard had problems with the handling of ivors 750 which we have discussed at length . when i used to ride it i thought it was the best handling 750 i had ever ridden , so i guess it was personal preference . richard is a great ridder but his style is very very aggressive , the 750 is a heavy lump and needs time to settle before you throw it at a corner , also once you have picked a line that is that . having said that the only reason he isn't riding it this year is because ivor is having a break . there was talk of him having a ride at cadwell but it didnt come off . last year he chucked it away pretty spectacularly  at the first corner half way through the race , i asked him what happened and he said i tried to take it flat out in top , it works on the 350 !!  . he is nothing if not brave

ow31

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 10:31:21 am »
  Hi Malc having raced against Richard on both my Tz 350 and 750 I feel his riding style siuts the smaller bikes better. Not suprising really as that is mainly what he has riddden. As Simon says he has a very aggresive style and can rush into the corners yet still turn the smaller bikes. On the 750 if your still trying to turn the bike as you exit the corner it is very difficult to use its only advantage over a smaller bike which is the horsepower. Being a much heavier bike it is at a disadvantage every where else, braking ,turning etc. Hence fast in but not quite so fast out. One of the reasons he felt my 750 was quicker than Ivors, but has I built both engines and made the exhausts for both bikes I can assure you they were the same spec. Quite frankly he rode it very well considering the limited amount of time he rode it.(I got to see it from close quarters as he beat me enough times. Roy, Richard and me had some cracking races.).
     As for the cadwell crash Simon I think Ivor summed it up on the day as "you had pissed off into the distance Rob and Richard wasn,t happy and just tried too hard". He had already been out of the seat at barn and broken the screen the lap before he binned it at coppice. Cant fault the man for trying though!!!!.
    Here,s a link to some video from Brands where Richard , Roy and myself were having a good race with me and Richard swapping places at the front till I punched myself through the screen exiting clearways and dropped back, I was so lucky not to crash.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:57:51 am by ow31 »

Offline malcolmgb

• What am I not? an
  • Expert
    • malcnet
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 12:48:43 pm »
OK thanks for the explanation on that both of you, I like the aggressive riding style comment it reminds me of the other local rider I like to follow, Steve Tomes.
Malcolm

1977 CB400F
1973 CL175 K7
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78