Author Topic: handlebar clamps  (Read 1842 times)

Offline 1974blaze

• Enthusiast
handlebar clamps
« on: December 24, 2009, 01:21:52 pm »
i'd like to clean up the look on my 75 cb750 and want to pull the bar clamp panel off and replace with regular top clamps.  anyone know what model's parts would work as a suitable replacement? i assume they are 7/8 which means i can find lots of clamps on ebay, but which ones have monting holes in the same place and can use the stock bolts?
thanks.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: handlebar clamps
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 03:55:47 pm »
As I understand it the 77-78 750's came with regular clamps instead of the idiot light panel, and they fit the earlier top triples too.  For that matter the clamps from my 92 750 Nighthawk (91-03 same) fit my K3 upper triple, and my K3's idiot light panel fits the top triple of the Nghthawk triple too.  The clamp bolts are even the same style, size and length.  I suspect that the clamps from many hondas of the period and beyond will fit just fine, honda wouldn't redesign a simple part like that for every bike, they'd just go with the age old standard design.
-Alan

Offline 1974blaze

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 05:04:15 pm »
so it seems like pretty much any 7/8 top clamp 'll do it.  thanks.!

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 05:38:55 pm »
I'm not sure about the non-honda stuff, but maybe someone who knows will answer that one soon.

On a side note, I noticed that handlebar clamps fit well on the rear passenger peg mount tubes on my CB750K3, probably every sohc CB750 too.
I was thinking that they would probably be good for mounting rear-set peg mounts someday.
-Alan

Offline STLrocker

• Enthusiast
  • whiskey bent and hell bound
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 09:23:03 am »
you can cut the center out of the original clamp and you will have the two separate ones. if you look at the underside of the clamp, you will see that on the sides it is shaped exactly like the two individual clamps on other bikes. if you cut out the center bridge that holds the lights, you have what you need. carefully cut then grind and file. sand smooth and there you have it. ive done it to a few. it's really easy. probably easier than it sounds. it is soft aluminum. easy to cut/file.

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 01:47:36 pm »
The clamps from the GL 1000, and I think any of the Honda twins should have what you need.
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey

Offline 1974blaze

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 11:47:48 am »
cheers everyone. i'll probably go for the hack job, always fun to ma,e something ugly more beautiful.