Author Topic: Shifting Issues  (Read 5445 times)

Offline 75 honda

Shifting Issues
« on: November 21, 2009, 04:06:08 pm »
I replaced the gears and forks in my bike and put the cases back together.  All the shafts spun freely with no binds or issues.  Put the motor back in the frame and wired it back up.  Put the shifter lever on and when I pushed it down,  nothing happened.  So I pulled it and again nothing happened.  It's like it is stuck in neutral.  Anyone have any ideas?

Offline 1timduke

• Hot Shot
  • '75 CB550
Re: Shifting Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:08:35 pm »
So there's no movement at all in the shift lever?

Prolly we could use some more info...why did you change the gears and forks, what was going bad, what symptoms was it showing, does the bike roll freely as is (is it actually in neutral and stuck, or in some mystery gear), is the clutch cable adjusted properly, what model bike, was there large amounts of alcohol during reassembly (this is my usual problem) :P

More info will help a bunch.  Welcome to the forum!

-Tim
The only thing I miss about the South is Waffle House!

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:22:57 pm »
how about ur clutch? mess with it a little bit maybe it could be some thing simple like that (hopefully)
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:05:15 pm »
Check your actuating fork just behind your clutch basket, probably not working due to misalignment.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline 75 honda

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:57:19 pm »
It is a 75 cb 750.  The second gear was shot so it replaced the gears and forks.  When I looked at the forks,  the metal on one of them was really shaved pretty deep.  So I put all of that back in and put the motor together.  The lever will move but none of the gears will engage.  When I push the lever down,  it kind of sounds like one of the gears is smacking into another gear.  Just a high pitch metal sound.  I can roll it around the garage with no problem.  I sat on it and rolled down the driveway.  It is in neutral and wont come out.  I read in the manual about shifting problems and it said the gear cluster could not be aligned right.  I don't really want to hear that because I don't want to pull that motor back out. 

If I check the fork behind the clutch basket,  how do I know it is misaligned?  I really don't wanna pull this thing back out.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 12:47:19 am »
You should be able to see the shifting mechanism working behind the clutch basket as you operate the gear shifter, if nothing is happening then something is not attached, if it appeares to be shifting but still you have no gears the maybe (just maybe) it's internal and you are looking at opening the beast up again.
I've got my fingers crossed that you have reassembled the external actuating mechanism behind the clutch basket incorrectly.....that would be the easiest fix. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline 75 honda

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 03:16:58 am »
Well I just spent the past 3 hours pulling the motor again.  For some reason it was a lot harder to get out this time.  So rather its behind the clutch basket or not,  it's out.  Ill split the case tomorrow and look around the clutch basket area.  I pulled all of that out so maybe I didn't do something right.  I'm not sure what I am looking for but hopefully I will find something simple. 

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 03:51:39 am »
Here's some links with exploded views of your clutch and transmission.
http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/clutch-cb750-four-k5-us_bighu0105e1309_0ad0.gif

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/gearshiftdrum-stopper-cb750-four-k5-us_bighu0105e1313_31f0.gif

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/gearshift-forkdrum-cb750-four-k5-us_bighu0105e1319_ecc4.gif

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/transmission-cb750-four-k5-us_bighu0105e1318_6a9a.gif

If you right click on the images you will be able to print them out for easy reference.
It's a good idea to check that everything is operational before the motor goes back into the frame.
You should be able to manually select all of the gears and feel where neutral is by turning the output shaft by hand.
Good luck with it.
Mick

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline 75 honda

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 09:05:14 am »
Thanks.  Looking at those pictures I think I may have the gear select hooked up wrong,  but only by a spacer in the wrong spot.  Time to split it open again.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:09:55 am »
I'm confused. On a 750 there is no part of the shifter behind the clutch basket that I know of. THe shift linkage is all behind the tranny cover on the left side. Accessible without disturbing anything else. I think something is amiss there.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 75 honda

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 09:48:29 am »
That is what I thought also.  I didn't see anything behind the clutch basket accept the primary chain and the gears.  Well it has to be something not lined up right with the gears because it wont shift and the gear shift set up seems to look like the diagrams and pictures I took. 

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:01:10 am »
That is what I thought also.  I didn't see anything behind the clutch basket accept the primary chain and the gears.  Well it has to be something not lined up right with the gears because it wont shift and the gear shift set up seems to look like the diagrams and pictures I took. 
Hmmm  Sorry. Definitely dry shift it thru all gears before reinstalling the engine. I'm curious as to what it could be.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 75 honda

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 12:12:55 pm »
PROBLEM SOLVED..   Shift forks.  I had them in backwards so the longer sides were facing the middle fork and not letting the forks slide with each other.  I flipped them around and every gear shifts perfectly.  Never done this before but I took it somewhere and this guy wanted 1,500 just to pull the motor and split the cases,  not including the parts.  I did it all for 40 dollars.  Thanks for the input guys.  Pics will come soon.  Now the fun part,  putting it back in the frame.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:16:43 pm by 75 honda »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 01:16:20 pm »
YAY! Way to go.  I didn't know that could happen!
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline 75 honda

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 03:03:21 pm »
Neither did I.  But where the shaft slides through the forks,  one end is longer than the other on the forks,  so I had the long ends facing each other and when it tried to shift through the gears,  the forks just kept smacking into each other.  Note for future reference.  Just got the motor back in and putting it all back together.  However,  I hooked the chain up and checked the gear shifter again and everything is shifting fine,  but it still rolls as if it is in neutral.  BUT,  I don't have the clutch basket in yet and I can feel the shaft move when I put it in gear,  so I'm guessing once I put that in it will stop it from rolling freely in gear.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 08:20:04 pm »
BUT,  I don't have the clutch basket in yet and I can feel the shaft move when I put it in gear,  so I'm guessing once I put that in it will stop it from rolling freely in gear.

Yup, no clutch installed is the same as having the clutch pulled in, only even more so.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 09:40:05 pm »
Yikes did someone say 750? :-[ er my bad sorry mate was thinking 650, good job you found your error anyway. ;)

Offline 75 honda

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 08:50:29 am »
Yep,  put the clutch basket in and all gears work.  Feels weird cause when I go through them I have to pull the lever a couple times to get it to go in but hopefully when I add oil and adjust the clutch,  that will all go away. 

I do have a question about the clutch.  Where the springs are and the four bolts that bolt down the plate,  do those get tightened all the way down?  It seems like when I tighten those down I can't get the adjuster to work.  When I leave some room for the springs to move then I can adjust the clutch fine,  but then the bolts back out.  The manual doesn't tell me anything.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 07:59:53 am »
The four bolts need to tightened down, equally, to a certain torque spec (which I can't think of off the top of my head) in a counter clockwise fashion. BE CAREFUL TO TIGHTEN THEM ALL EQUALLY OR THE PLATE WILL BREAK. In other words, half a turn per bolt and then onto the next until the desired toque is reached.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 08:56:07 am »
+1 on being extremely careful with the lifter plate.  I snapped mine when I did the clutch a couple of weeks ago (but I also put in heavy duty Vesra springs).  Luckily I had an extra motor in the back to scavenge a lifter plate from.

Travis
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

If your not first, your last - Ricky Bobby

1992 GL1500 Interstate

73 CB750 Bobber Project (Always an on going project) Sold
71 CL350 Scrambler Project (Done and riding it) Sold
78 CB750 F3 Super Sport with F 0 engine (Current project)