Author Topic: New Build: Prologue (parts identification!)  (Read 2534 times)

Offline jacquesleclochard

• Hot Shot
  • If Tin Can do it, you can do it!
    • Tin Can Customs
New Build: Prologue (parts identification!)
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:20:50 am »
Hey gang,

A while ago I met the best guy. Captain of a ship, his name is Tjalling and back in the days a bike building entheusiast. When I was tinkering with my CB on the sidewalk, he passed by and struck up a conversation. Told me he had a few crates full with old custom chopper stuff and a revised CB750 engine, collecting dust in the storage of his ship. He hadn't touched it for 20 years, and could not be bothered selling it trough the internet. So he suggested that I take the bulk of his hands. No second thoughts there! Gave the man a good bottle of whiskey in return.

Anyway, after going over the catch, I have a hard time identifying the parts. There are a lot of custom things, like airboxes, air filters and oil tanks that I have never seen in my life. Then again, I am not as familiar with building bikes as a lot of you old timers. So I turn to you!

See this as the prologue for my first hardtail build thread. I am really excited about this, so I would love to hear what you guys can tell me about the stuff that captain Tjalling gave me. So here's to him, and here's to you. Cheers!

-Chris

• Hot Shot
    • Tin Can Customs
Re: New Build: Prologue (parts identification!)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:24:21 am »
I didn't make a good closeup of the batterybox, the electrical box and the oil tank. They are in the overview picture, though. What are they?

On this post, I attached a picture of a part that I have never seen before. It is picture 630, what is it? What is the function of this part? It looks like some sort of suspension, but not for the frame I assume?

What type of Koni shock is in 628?

Tx!

Offline aplaceinspace

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:45:29 pm »
The peice in picture 630 appears to be a stearing damper. One end connects to your frame and the other to a fork leg.

Online Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 02:06:22 pm »
The peice in picture 630 appears to be a stearing damper. One end connects to your frame and the other to a fork leg.

+1.  You've got quite a hodge podge selection of old parts, hard to identify.

What CB do you have?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Hot Shot
    • Tin Can Customs
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 02:12:47 pm »
Cap'n said it was a K7. It didn't occur to me to verify, I was in a buzz when I unloaded the truck. Are there any parts you want to see? I can take other pictures if you want. Tx for the help anyway.

Online Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 02:16:12 pm »
What are you gonna do with the motors?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Hot Shot
    • Tin Can Customs
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 02:24:59 pm »
Rebuild it. That's the idea. What's your suggestion?

Online Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:34:55 pm »
Normally, I suggest starting the motor so you know what running cond it is in and rebuild accordingly.
But, it appears that the motor is already tore down.
I would check piston/cylinder specs to see if they need replacing/boring. If yes, buy a 836cc big bore kit!
Search the forum for more info.

Good Luck!

Offline Brantley

• Drano
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 10:46:39 pm »
The louvered box in the center above the airbox and oil bag is a Santee electric box- it fits around the starter cover on the crankcase and relocates yr coils, regulator, rectifier, key switch, etc. The oil bag appears to be Santee, too. Cool seventies stuff.

• Hot Shot
    • Tin Can Customs
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 01:17:29 pm »
Yea, neat huh? I found an Amen Savior frame here, but the guy is asking 750 for it. Haven't checked it out in the flesh, so it might not be worth it. But to build a psychedelic chopper, seventies style...

What do you make of the airbox? I am running it now, for fun and to find out what state it is in, on my working CB750. It appears it's letting in false air. Not a big surprise, since the rubbers were real old like. If there is a way of replacing the rubbers, that would be sweet.

Offline Brantley

• Drano
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 07:26:45 pm »