Author Topic: Garbage Rebuild  (Read 36055 times)

Offline JohnCurW

• Young, niave, in over my head, LOVING IT.
Re: Garbage Rebuild
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2010, 09:15:56 pm »
Is it yours? or do you know who's it is? If so could you PM me (I don't want to thread jack).
1978 Honda CB750A with rare special headers that glow red when the bike is angry with me...

traveler

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2010, 09:38:13 pm »
too late, you already did. :-\

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • [Brian] I've got something to say about that!
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2010, 05:38:24 am »
pm sent

so... soda blasting huh? VanillaGorilla has carbs for sale.
everything I say is pure speculation and
I have no idea what I'm talking about  ._.

Marla              .:71CB750:.CAFE

Offline blake255

• Look Out! I'm about to crank this thing!
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2010, 10:51:42 am »
Torchmonkey,

I’ve been following your thread since the beginning, but haven’t checked in for a couple of weeks. So it was a real surprise to see your engine stand shining brightly as I was catching up.  Thanks for the link and credit.  I hope it works well for you.  The build looks awesome.  Keep it up.

Blake

I took a litle holiday cash and bought myself 2 engine stands from Harbor Freight and modified them to create a rotisserie engine stand a la blake255. I'll spare you the details, you can read about how it's made here:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58210.0

Starting to piece the motor back together, just waiting for the gasket set. While waiting I'll be powdercoating the head and head cover.

1970 CB750 K0 Project 1
1969 CB750 Sandcast Project 2
1969 CB750 Sandcast Project 3
2009 Yamaha YZF R6

torchmonkey

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2010, 01:51:02 pm »
@ JohnCurW: Not my frame, just some inspiration I found here:
http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/monkee11.html

Thanks Blake255, moving forward slowly at the moment.

Mystic1: Found a replacement set of carbs and some other goodies locally, I will however be holding onto the banged up set just in case.

torchmonkey

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2010, 07:23:55 pm »
Powder coating question:
I found that it's hard to get coverage in tight areas when I was coating the cases. Seems like the charge is repelling the powder in tight spots. I'm getting ready to coat the head and cylinder "block," Makes me wonder if I'll get any coverage between the "fins" on these remaining pieces. Anyone ever coat these parts themselves?

torchmonkey

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2010, 04:22:16 pm »
OK, dilemma. Bought another bike, same year, model etc... for parts. I was planning on using the pistons out of it as the ones from my current motor are unusable. The pistons from this "new" bike are marked "300" and the pistons that came with the motor I'm rebuilding are marked "392"
Can I use the "300" pistons? There are some noticeable differences: 1.The skirt is longer. 2.The valve indents on the top are smaller. I was unable to find any info on the "300" pistons using search.

torchmonkey

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2010, 06:24:23 pm »
Meanwhile... I've been cleaning my "new" set of carbs and it just occurred to me that they are probably gonna sit for a bit (a couple months) before the bike is started. My guess is I should spray or coat the internals w/ something? WD40 or the like to keep them fresh?

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2010, 07:02:55 pm »
Meanwhile... I've been cleaning my "new" set of carbs and it just occurred to me that they are probably gonna sit for a bit (a couple months) before the bike is started. My guess is I should spray or coat the internals w/ something? WD40 or the like to keep them fresh?
Well lets see what the others say, I wrapped mine in plastic and left them with out any thing on them for about 1 year and they were fine.. How ever I may not be the smartest bulb on the motorcycle block.. WD-40 should not hurt and if its only a few months it should be ok.

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

torchmonkey

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2010, 11:15:23 am »
Thought I'd post some before and after pics of the "new" carbs. Took lots of Simple Green-ing, toothbrush scrubbing, soda blasting and ultrasonic cleaning took get them good and clean.

Offline articblue

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2010, 11:55:58 am »
I took a litle holiday cash and bought myself 2 engine stands from Harbor Freight and modified them to create a rotisserie engine stand a la blake255. I'll spare you the details, you can read about how it's made here:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58210.0

This is such and awesome idea need to pickup another engine stand now...thanks  blake255 and torchmonkey
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:58:18 am by articblue »
Eventually I'll get something that runs, but until then I'll wrench until I make it run.
Project 750

Also, another 'new' project 1975 Honda CB400F.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:57 am »
Thought I'd post some before and after pics of the "new" carbs. Took lots of Simple Green-ing, toothbrush scrubbing, soda blasting and ultrasonic cleaning took get them good and clean.

Wow those sure are clean, you could eat off em..

Nice work!

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:28 am »
That's awesome! Good scrubin' work.  Can I send you mine!? ahah... those are clean!

torchmonkey

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2010, 05:55:33 pm »
OK, been slackin' on the posts lately, the main motor pieces are done w/ machine work and powder coating. Here's a sampling,they are flat black although the flash makes them look much glossier than that. I just noticed I missed a spot @ the front center of the motor, oh well I'll figure something out. My gasket set should be here Wed. and I'll get cracking on assembling the botom end next weekend (Reality is just the oil pump area). Everything else will be shortly after that as I have some bike funding issues that don't allow my purchase of a ring set at the moment. Yes, I am now assembling this thing in the living room, the old lady gave me the green light. I think she's got something up her sleeve, I'm expecting her to ask for something very expensive in the very near future in exchange.

Daylight shows the color a bit better.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:48:34 am by torchmonkey »

torchmonkey

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2010, 01:16:11 pm »
Cross drilling pattern layed out. Now I have to teach myself how to use the CNC mill at work.
LOTS of learning on this project!

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2010, 06:00:01 am »
Very cool!!!.... love the engine paint!  And the cross drilled rotor model!! SEXY! Keep up the goodness! Cheers!

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2010, 07:21:44 pm »
I agree.. holy smokes that's nice.. Are you going to be afraid to ride it and get it dirty? ;)
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

torchmonkey

« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2010, 05:53:32 pm »
Rotors are drilled, thought I'd learn how to use the CNC mill, but, we had a very bored looking machinist and I'm quite busy, so I hooked him up with some Government work. Came out pretty sick, I think. My hats off to him!
Next I've got to powdercoat the "hubs" of these.
I've given up on trying to powdercoat the wheels a gloss black, three tries at the front wheel has been enough. Sandblasting powder off is a Beeatch, done it three times now and it takes forever. I have a spare and I'm going with flat black on those as well, easy peeasy, I hope.

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2010, 06:01:30 am »
Torchmonkey, the engine looks great!  I want to follow your lead and build a soda blaster cabinet.  What's the black circle at the bottom of the first picture?  Is that a bucket that holds the soda?  I'm trying to figure out whether I want the soda canister inside or outside of the cabinet.  Kinda thinking inside, so I can move the feedline while blasting instead of pulling out to do it.

Your avatar cracks me up every time I see it!

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2010, 09:37:44 am »
GORGEOUS! I wish i had a bored machinist hanging around.... ahha

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2010, 05:41:07 pm »

i've missed out on this one! nice work!

i can't tell from the picture but i wonder what your thoughts are on chamfering the holes in your rotor? i though i read somewhere that doing so helps reduce chances of stress cracks and keeps the pad cleaner.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

traveler

« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2010, 06:02:14 pm »
Really looks good.

Don't sweat the wife.  Whatever she wants....in some way comes back on you as well.

Love the retro furniture in hte house...seriously!  Cool stuff!

On the motor....you can use engine block paint and get it to match if you use it CAREFULLY.

Rotor looks fantastic!  I cheated and sent mine out to Anubis Cycle to drill mine.  Your's is UNIQUE, and that DOES make a difference.

Again, looks great.  take your time and do it the way you REALLY want it.

~Joe

torchmonkey

« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2010, 04:27:05 am »
Got the cross drilling covered, are .030 chamfers on all the holes. Thanks for the tip though I can use all the help I can get. 

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • [Brian] I've got something to say about that!
    • Undead Asphalt
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2010, 05:21:52 am »
yeah its fine
everything I say is pure speculation and
I have no idea what I'm talking about  ._.

Marla              .:71CB750:.CAFE

torchmonkey

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2010, 10:19:25 am »
I want to put my motor back together only I'm afraid I'm goig to put something in the wrong place.
I have mystery gaskets...

And not sure where all o-rings go??? Thanks in advance for your input.