Author Topic: CB750A Street ET bracket drag bike. A year to build it.  (Read 607506 times)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: CB750A Street ET bracket drag bike. A year to build it.
« Reply #500 on: February 20, 2011, 03:43:05 pm »
It has to be close. ::)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #501 on: February 20, 2011, 03:46:28 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D SAMAUTO came to life around the end of the Daytona 500.No,we weren't watching ,but it was on.Wow,nice sound,still needs carb return spring,had a leak @ sensor on oil galley cap,no big deal.Finished plumbing cooler while Big Jim finished Dyna 2000 install(thanks Jim,you've been a big help!).Gotta tidy up wiring and finish brakes.Jim said he'll bring video camera over next time.Sam,Jon come on,we'll be there!Also install c/guard and wire tach.Wow ,Samauto finally runs! ;) ;D Going to go clean up.Maybe a couple pics later.........I know ya'll want video and AUDIO! ;),Bill
To everyone who has helped in any way,many thanks,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #502 on: February 20, 2011, 04:03:17 pm »
Bill,
     Spring should lower idle revs by 1,500 or so. Did it require much choke?  Any popping sounds on going back to idle? Wish I was there! Look out world, Sam's coming to a track near you! ;D ;D ;D ;D

JW

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #503 on: February 20, 2011, 04:06:43 pm »
6.43pm...6.46pm...I felt the news coming 3 minutes early. :D :D :D

There was a reason chosen one, well done. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) and to all involved, a megga thanks. 8)

I will sleep now ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #504 on: February 20, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »
A few pics:

Showed 80 psi. w/cold oil/20/50 Yamalube

For Sam!

Mike,nice work. ;D

It sounds good!

Just need bleeding.

Got to wire tether also.

Finally! 8)Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #505 on: February 21, 2011, 03:49:59 am »
Rich.  ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #506 on: February 21, 2011, 04:06:09 am »
It's definitely looking mean Sam.

Bill, maybe flip the bike on its back to bleed those calipers!  ;)  ;D

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #507 on: February 21, 2011, 04:08:36 am »
They will have to come off to be done Brent, we did know though :(

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline popslady

« Reply #508 on: February 21, 2011, 04:20:53 am »
Mr. JWEEKS "Hondamatic Man "  Will A 1978 F head from a 750 SS bolt right on to the 1978 CB750A block with no problemss ??? I have a head off of a 1978 with 2,200 miles of run time that looks brand new.                   The best head I got is a brand new 400a head and block from a TECH SCHOOL motor that HONDA OF AMERICA gave this school in Ohio new 400 motors and 6 complete CBX 6 CYL. MOTORS BRAND NEW YEARS AGO. I got one of the 400A motors for $200.
You wanted a 5-6 speed HONDAMATIC ? What about that new auto 1200cc with shift paddles and no clutch = $12,900 that run 10.20 ETS. ?  My best friend from high school own a big OHIO Honda dealership for autos and motor sports and I can get one at cost, he's also my sponser in my race game.
Very good tuning lesson on the carbs jets and too bad those CV'S are not like the Mikuni's with the #17 mm nut on the bottom of the bowls for a five minute change on all 4 carbs. Their was a company years ago that made replacement clear plastic bowls w/ the nuts that you could see your float levels and a quick change of jets w/jet wrench in minutes.

POPS BK911  NHRA ST/ET
After the dealer show in INDY this past weekend and talking to the shaker and makers the only racing for our eastern racer could be "NO HATIN RACING.COM"
With lots of classes to run in 2 day race.

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #509 on: February 21, 2011, 04:49:41 am »
Some more progress pictures fans the flames. We are getting there!

A couple of observations:  The tether isn't required in most sanctioning bodies. Usually running in the 10's and or going over 120 mph will require it. Good safety feature regardless of the local rules.
                                     I hope that the rear caliper brace is well made. The setup will always be pulling that rod away from the mounting bolts. The starting line will try to pull out the bolts/bolt holes toward their short ends. Brake applied; brace will not be compressed - It will try to lengthen. If the metal isn't strong enough over time - the mounting holes will elongate. It isn't much of a safety feature, even if it fails. The rear brake launches the bike; the front brake(s) slow it down at the finish line. Activate the rear brake at the finish line? Instant sideways with the rear wheel locked. Ask me how I know?  :P The good news is that it self corrects when you stop applying the rear brake. I see a rear wheel disassembly coming for a two person bleed. I like the check valve bleeders for when help isn't available. Sam's got more help on this project than I've had in my career! Where's the envious smiley face?  ::)

Good progress Bill and Jim!

I hope that the oil pressure drops a little as it warms up. Was the bypass spring shimmed or strengthened somehow? The oil pump passages were always a little too flow unfriendly for my tastes. To round some 90 degree "bends" for better flow would have required some delicate cutting with the right tools.... Mike - did you do a little work for oil flow during assembly? It's around 20 pounds above where I see mine on start up. Too much oil pressure will cost you a couple of horses going down the track.  Some of the sanctioning bodies will require the valve cover breather to hose connect to a catch can for the oil fumes. The higher the pressure, the more likely you will find something in the catch can that got by... Better caught there than left on the track. Oil starvation will never be a problem on this bike!

Bill - for the video clip - ride it around your driveway, nice and slow. Blip it a few times to remind your neighbors what you like to do. ;)

JW

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #510 on: February 21, 2011, 05:08:36 am »
Hi Jon, I'm sure the brake anchor will be fine, Jim is a top engineer and a magic welder, he can weld things that our old eyes can't even see without a microscope. www.jmfmicroweld.com   8) 8) 8)

Sam.  ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #511 on: February 21, 2011, 05:34:58 am »
Pops,
     No the F head won't bolt up without problems. There are a couple of stud holes that the F head doesn't use for oil drain back that the stock K head does. Bolt up the F head and you'll be drenching your cylinder block in oil! The fix is relatively easy. Set down the K and F heads side by side and you'll quickly see the two head bolt passages on the F head that aren't solid metal. Take the head to your local machinist and have two sleeves inserted into your enlarged holes to bring the head bolt passages back down to the stock diameter. A little shrink fit for the sleeves and it now bolts on without problem.
     Build the motor big if you're using the F head. Yes, it flows more air than the K head, but for smaller motors it will perform worse unless you get a really good head porter to epoxy down the intake passages to improve partial throttle air velocity.
     I started with a 73mm big block when I added a F head. Went with a 900F crank (+ 6mm stroke) and had head very well ported by a major east coast bike head porter. With my custom torque converter I launch at 6 grand and have peak horsepower by 7,500 rpm with a one horse loss by 10,500 rpm. Very flat powerband is what all drag hondamatics love. I can run high 10's at 124 mph in it's current state. There's more there - the crank can be rewelded and stroked more. I haven't brushed the cases with the aftermarket steel rods that I run. There's an easy 2-3 mm more there that will improve the midrange more. I'm probably a little under carb'd. I probably should go to 36mm CV's on it. Any of the above items will help, but it's major work.
     When you get to making 100+ wheel horsepower, the stock clutch packs need a little help. I went with narrower steels and added one more friction plate. Rather than adding another ~5 horses, I'm looking more at the transmission for improvements. The 750A has wide thick gears in the tranny. Look at a current 600 cc transmission. You can fit twice the gears in the same space. My next major project will be trying to make a 4 speed automatic. That would be worth far more than 5 horses here or there would. I'd expect an easy 5 tenths minimum with two more gears.
     Another thought - If you're going to do the work, do you really want the F head? Look at a 900F head to go with your 900F stroker crank on your Hondamatic. Yes it's more work, but it should yield more horses. Think of a base adapter plate made for the stroke increase and to allow a new head stud pattern. That head won't extend the rpm range much. That's the limit of that dohc head design.
     Don't think that the new Honda will repeat as well as the old Hondamatics will. Shifting isn't the question. Launching is the question. I don't think that the current bike will be anywhere near as consistent in the 60' times. I'd love for someone else to buy one and do the testing. If it can be as consistent, I'd consider buying a used one. I'm not interested in yelling to the world that I race something different. Your dial-in board does the yelling for you. If I can run 10's, I'm ignored for the first few rounds. Anyone who gets near the final gets the once over by the competition as we both know.
     Hope this helps or at least gives you some thoughts.

Jon Weeks

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #512 on: February 21, 2011, 06:47:27 am »
Mike,
      Apples/oranges?  ???  I know what was done for Sam's head. Pop's question didn't relate to Sam's motor. Yes, a modified K head can outflow a stock F head. I'm a believer that a modified F head will flow more cfm's than a modified K head. The only place that you'd need the cfm's is on a big inch motor. Velocity is far more important for Hondamatic drag racing than top end cfm capabilities.
      Thanks for the oiling information. I run the same oil/oil pump setup with a shimmed bypass. I only see 60 at startup. I've worked the oil passages a little more than what you've written. Perhaps the oil flows a little easier in my motor. Not a problem in either case. Don't want to read too much into one reading.

JW

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #513 on: February 21, 2011, 09:06:42 am »
I think I'll change my name to Samslady if it'll get you two fighting over me ;D ;D ;D may the best man win. :D :D :D :D

Sam. :-*
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #514 on: February 21, 2011, 11:47:49 am »
Sam
Thanks for the plug on the website
being a toolmaker and a welder has its advantages................
especially to you guys for which I do enjoy helping

Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #515 on: February 21, 2011, 02:37:13 pm »
It's all good information.

Sam, it will take more than a name change ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

JW

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #516 on: February 21, 2011, 03:53:04 pm »
Sam
Thanks for the plug on the website
being a toolmaker and a welder has its advantages................
especially to you guys for which I do enjoy helping

Jim

My pleasure Jimmy, anyone that can weld a float pivot post measureing 3/16" diameter back into a carb can play with my bike anytime. :D :D :D :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #517 on: February 21, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »
It's all good information.

Sam, it will take more than a name change ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

JW

Stop playing hard to get. :D :D :D :D :D

Sam.  ;D ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #518 on: February 21, 2011, 07:12:04 pm »
Ok Sam, Bill and Jim,

Now that Sam is trying to be someones lady and Bill and Jon are back and forth on who is smarter lets get back to what comes next now that the bike is running. Whats the plan on testing/racing in March ???? Are we testing on friday at Carolina and bracket racing on saturday at Union County Dragway like i suggested or are we sticking to the original plan of testing only at Carolina Dragway on saturday?? Inquiring minds want to know. Actually my pea brain needs to know so i can schedule accordingly ::).

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #519 on: February 21, 2011, 08:39:24 pm »
Sam,well? Frank,to be smarter,first you have to be smart!(I'm disqualified). ;D(It was Mike and Jon)
Let's go racing!Spring Racing Fever is upon us! Time to pull the trigger. ;)
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #520 on: February 21, 2011, 11:36:00 pm »
Sam,well? Frank,to be smarter,first you have to be smart!(I'm disqualified). ;D(It was Mike and Jon)
Let's go racing!Spring Racing Fever is upon us! Time to pull the trigger. ;)

Well, if i got the wrong people listed fighting each other, then we know i'm not qualified either- lol.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #521 on: February 22, 2011, 05:02:23 am »
Ok Sam, Bill and Jim,

Now that Sam is trying to be someones lady and Bill and Jon are back and forth on who is smarter lets get back to what comes next now that the bike is running. Whats the plan on testing/racing in March ???? Are we testing on friday at Carolina and bracket racing on saturday at Union County Dragway like i suggested or are we sticking to the original plan of testing only at Carolina Dragway on saturday?? Inquiring minds want to know. Actually my pea brain needs to know so i can schedule accordingly ::).

OK, it's my fault, not concentrating on the job in hand. I think I got all to excited when the motor ran after waiting 15 months,  not that I thought it wouldn't run ::).
I think we are OK for Carolina on Friday, just need Bill to confirm if OK for Union on Saturday.
Sorry for getting all frivalous on you, I'll not change my name. :-[

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #522 on: February 22, 2011, 05:31:40 am »
Works for me! 8),Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #523 on: February 22, 2011, 05:45:11 am »
 8) 8) 8) 8) ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #524 on: February 22, 2011, 09:38:16 pm »
Just let me know what the plan is gentleman. Looking forward too seeing you guys but moreso seeing the bike-lol.