Author Topic: CB750A Street ET bracket drag bike. A year to build it.  (Read 608162 times)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: CB750A Street ET bracket drag bike. A year to build it.
« Reply #4475 on: June 21, 2014, 09:15:26 am »

Please consider continuing the race effort with him in mind.

Heed the fact that you all have our full support and understand that each one of you has my and our full respect for your individual decisions.

+1

+2

Jon, Sam would want you carrying on the "A" tradition by beating Bill.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4476 on: June 21, 2014, 11:15:42 am »
Just caught up with the news. Thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery Sam.

Eric
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,94588.0.html

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4477 on: June 21, 2014, 03:29:02 pm »
     Ok, I'm just back from the track today. Sam is recovering but slowly. He's a few days away from any conversations with his friends. He may be able to annoy nurses sooner than that. We are all optimistic.
     We may never know exactly what went wrong with Sam's first time trial on the Hondamatic on Friday. He ran on the right lane with Bill running the left lane. They were one of the first pairs down the track since it was prepped (sprayed with traction compound) Just before the 1/8th mile mark, Sam sat up on the bike and slowed. The bike got into a rear wheel wobble that he tried to correct with steering. Basically he overcorrected and the rear wheel slid out sideways toward the edge of the track. The bike did half a donut and then high sided away from the direction that he was rotating, flinging him head first onto the track, still holding the handlebars. He ended up with the right side of the bike on him as everything stopped moving. A nearby person got there first and removed the bike from on top of him. His helmet had the wing element on the top of it cracked and portions of that wing broke off. The helmet itself got a couple of cracks in it on the top toward the rear. Track medics were quickly there to attend to him. The track called for a helicopter life flight to a local hospital. They cut away the leathers to attend to his injuries. Mike and Bill have listed them.
     The bike had only minor damage. A few scrapes and the oil cooler mount got bent in. Bill has ridden the bike today around the pits. Everybody has very closely looked over the bike. No oil leaks, no air loss from either tire. The impact moved the tach, but has been angled back to it's original position. When the tach impact moved it, it pressed the throttle cable against the bike freezing the throttle to that position. Nothing we can find could explain what had happened. After everyone had checked over the bike and set everything back to normal, we took it to tech who went over it with a fine tooth comb. It passed and is approved to race again.
     There's going to be significant expenses for Sam being in the hospital. As Bill has stated, we're going to need everyone's help to get through this. There will be more on this in the future, I'm sure. I hope that this helps answer the logical questions that we've all had.
It's going to be a fairly long recovery from his injuries, but we all believe that he can heal up good as new. His natural shock protection will probably cause him not to remember the details of his fall. More information will be posted as the members here can supply updates.

Jon Weeks
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:58:40 pm by jweeks »

Offline sorcerer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4478 on: June 21, 2014, 04:00:38 pm »
Thanks for the update...almost sounds like the rear brake locked up...too weird.

We will all be chipping in to help...I'm sure.

RCjr

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #4479 on: June 21, 2014, 04:06:18 pm »
Thanks for the update Jon.

No point in idle speculation as to what happened; given the through check over, and that the bike passed a re-tech.  From your description Sam must have felt something amiss, given he sat up.  As you say though, the 'what', may never be known.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #4480 on: June 21, 2014, 04:28:04 pm »
Jon thanks. Still hard to process. Let us know how we can help our SOHC4 Brother.
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #4481 on: June 21, 2014, 06:55:33 pm »
Thanks for the update Jon.

No point in idle speculation as to what happened; given the through check over, and that the bike passed a re-tech.  From your description Sam must have felt something amiss, given he sat up.  As you say though, the 'what', may never be known.

Good point TinTop. Time to focus on Sam's recovery and any efforts the SOHC community can put forth to help financially in his fight to get back on course. I doubt he'll be able to travel back home any time soon due to the back injury. 

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #4482 on: June 21, 2014, 07:34:47 pm »
     Ok, I'm just back from the track today. They cut away the leathers to attend to his injuries.

OOOOOOH!...................................... :o :-\
Who's gunna be the one to tell Uncle Sammy the trade mark leathers are no more? Billy?

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #4483 on: June 21, 2014, 08:25:09 pm »
What I said! As I told the medics, once he's better, he'll be PO'd more about the leathers than anything else!  ;D, Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4484 on: June 21, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »
We will never know what happened as Sam will never remember. The cause is not the concern....let's focus on the man's physical condition.  ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #4485 on: June 21, 2014, 09:41:52 pm »
Very true, I lost a week before the accident, plus ICU time.

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:46:10 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4486 on: June 21, 2014, 11:55:32 pm »
so saddened to hear, get well Sam, keeping fingers crossed.

Offline Greg H

• When two cams is one too many .
  • Hot Shot
  • Still crazy after all these years .
« Reply #4487 on: June 22, 2014, 01:00:10 am »
     Ok, I'm just back from the track today. Sam is recovering but slowly. He's a few days away from any conversations with his friends. He may be able to annoy nurses sooner than that. We are all optimistic.
     We may never know exactly what went wrong with Sam's first time trial on the Hondamatic on Friday. He ran on the right lane with Bill running the left lane. They were one of the first pairs down the track since it was prepped (sprayed with traction compound) Just before the 1/8th mile mark, Sam sat up on the bike and slowed. The bike got into a rear wheel wobble that he tried to correct with steering. Basically he overcorrected and the rear wheel slid out sideways toward the edge of the track. The bike did half a donut and then high sided away from the direction that he was rotating, flinging him head first onto the track, still holding the handlebars. He ended up with the right side of the bike on him as everything stopped moving. A nearby person got there first and removed the bike from on top of him. His helmet had the wing element on the top of it cracked and portions of that wing broke off. The helmet itself got a couple of cracks in it on the top toward the rear. Track medics were quickly there to attend to him. The track called for a helicopter life flight to a local hospital. They cut away the leathers to attend to his injuries. Mike and Bill have listed them.
     The bike had only minor damage. A few scrapes and the oil cooler mount got bent in. Bill has ridden the bike today around the pits. Everybody has very closely looked over the bike. No oil leaks, no air loss from either tire. The impact moved the tach, but has been angled back to it's original position. When the tach impact moved it, it pressed the throttle cable against the bike freezing the throttle to that position. Nothing we can find could explain what had happened. After everyone had checked over the bike and set everything back to normal, we took it to tech who went over it with a fine tooth comb. It passed and is approved to race again.
     There's going to be significant expenses for Sam being in the hospital. As Bill has stated, we're going to need everyone's help to get through this. There will be more on this in the future, I'm sure. I hope that this helps answer the logical questions that we've all had.
It's going to be a fairly long recovery from his injuries, but we all believe that he can heal up good as new. His natural shock protection will probably cause him not to remember the details of his fall. More information will be posted as the members here can supply updates.

Thanks for the detailed update Jon . I really hope everything works out for Sam and he makes a full recovery .                                                           

Offline SamsBrotherBill

« Reply #4488 on: June 22, 2014, 01:30:35 am »
Jon

Thanks for the update on Sam. We were all absolutely devastated to hear about the accident and left feeling a bit helpless. Thank God he has so many good friends over there that are willing to be with him and help him through these difficult times. I’ll try and help in any way that I can and possibly get across when he’s a bit more recovered but until then, my heartfelt thanks go out to everyone that’s caring for him.

Bill

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #4489 on: June 22, 2014, 04:05:14 am »
Bill, he's had a good night. Responding well, sedated again now. All signs are encouraging. We'll keep you posted. Sam's on track. Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4490 on: June 22, 2014, 12:08:01 pm »
that's great to hear! keep us updated bill,

tnxs

yossef

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #4491 on: June 22, 2014, 03:40:08 pm »
Good on you Bill, you are a real proper gentleman.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #4492 on: June 23, 2014, 05:30:34 am »
Praying for Sam.

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #4493 on: June 23, 2014, 07:16:16 am »
First down the track after they sprayed compound = if they do-not run the track dryer down the 1/4 mile TO BURN THE COMPOUND INTO THE TRACK that traction compound is not firm to the track. Norwalk track in OHIO SPRAYS THEN RUN TRACK DRYER down the track = you cannot walk down the center of the lane without your shoes pulling off you feet.  Seen many starting line workers take the sprayer at the start of the round and spray out 10-20' and not take that propane torch sitting there and burn that compound in = you better go to the back of the line and let those other bikes burn that in and lay a little patch of rubber down the lane. PS. Hope that all the CAR TIRE bikes are ahead of you and you run down their track.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4494 on: June 23, 2014, 07:52:45 am »
Pops,assuming vmp workers were prepping the track,i cant say ive ever seen them burn the track in that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline POPS 911

• Expert
« Reply #4495 on: June 23, 2014, 08:19:14 am »
Dusterdude: Two weeks ago AT NATIONAL TRAILS here in OHIO J.Teasley ran 209 MPH on a street bike with NO BARS at NHDRO EVENT, his dad would never let them spray that starting line and NOT BURN IT IN ....... AT Rockingham a few years back at a IDBA race that I was helping run when I got to the track it was covered with yellow pine tree rosin = Rickie Gaddson tried to make a trial pass and the bike fish tailed all over to the 330' and he stopped and came back. Steve Yearwood the track owner used his track dryer and the one from the NACAR track to burn that rosin into the track = man was the stick there after the dryers did their job. That brown bag the starting line guy pound on the line and then burn in is = pine rosin. Fuel for those dryer use and cost lots $$$$$$$ so go figure.

Offline Jonathan Green

« Reply #4496 on: June 23, 2014, 02:45:27 pm »
Quick update, spoke to the nurse a couple of hours ago, they have taken out the breathing tube from his throat and he is starting to talk a little and respond a bit better. The tube in his chest is still in to drain any fluid still in there but not a lot coming out so hopefully that will be out in a few days. The pressure on his brain is back to normal and they are thinking of putting a plan together for removing the catheter. He is no longer being sedated and has his own little button to press to give pain relief. I have just spoke to a clinical social worker who will be helping to bring him back to the UK when he is ready, she walked up to him and said, blimey, looks like you were riding a rocket up the track! She said the response was a raised eyebrow to suggest, who do you think you are love! Will update again when we have some more positive news.

Regards,
Jonathan.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #4497 on: June 23, 2014, 04:39:42 pm »
Thanks for the update Jonathan, all good news.

I would think that fact it was 'only' a raised eyebrow could be put down to the sedatives. ;) ;D ;D
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4498 on: June 23, 2014, 04:47:35 pm »
Jonathan,any info on when sam can have visitors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline madmtnmotors

• When did I get to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Sunny Central Florida
« Reply #4499 on: June 23, 2014, 09:20:58 pm »
Thanks for the update Jonathon.  8) I rode 750 miles on my 78' CB750K just to see Sam race and got there a day late.  :-[ I arrived on Saturday knowing that there would probably not be much racing by the BentOn team that day, having read the news about Sam here on the forum the night before from the road.

Great to hear that his recovery has begun. Small steps Sammy! Don't overdo it, we'll be here when you get back.
TAMTF...

Wilbur

Projects:
"Evolution": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100352.0
"P.O. Debacle": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,126692.msg1441661.html#msg1441661
F2/F3 O-rings: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113672.msg1300721#msg1300721
Cam Tower Studs: https://www.mcmaster.com/#93210a017/=t19sgp
Clean up that nasty harness: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=137351.msg1549191#msg1549191
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,148188.msg1688494.html#msg1688494
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,139544.msg1579364.html#msg1579364

Charging system diagnosis: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=1012.msg8345#msg8345
Get the manuals: http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb750k/
The Dragon: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.msg1571675#msg1571675
Headlight Switch: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113986.msg1283236#msg1283236
Branden's leak free top end thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107040.0
Engine Lifting Made Easy: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,58210.msg1684742.html#msg1684742
                                      http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,100352.msg1675840.html#msg1675840
Static and Dynamic Timing: http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/carb_info/timing/timing1.html
Airbox Gasket Replacement: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,114485.msg1290000.html#msg1290000
"Café" : http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,84697.msg953814.html#msg953814
PD Carb Choke Linkage: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,100352.msg1669248.html#msg1669248
                                    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,110931.msg1248354.html#msg1248354
                                    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,48858.msg515204.html#msg515204
Follow up on your damn posts: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,144305.msg1791605.html#msg1791605
Taiwanese Cam Chain Tensioners:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,155043.msg1774841.html#msg1774841
Gumtwo Seat Cover: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,164440.msg1897366.html#msg1897366
Primary Drive: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,166063.msg1919278.html#msg1919278
Tank Latch: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,165975.msg1919495.html#msg1919495
Shorten your forks: http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/How-to-shorten-forks-td4042465.html DO NOT CUT THE SPRINGS!
Clutch How To: http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/How-to-change-and-adjust-a-clutch-SOHC-td4040391.html
Late model K7/K8/F2/F3 front sprocket cover removal: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,178428.msg2072279.html#msg2072279
630 to 530 conversion: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180710.msg2094423.html#msg2094423

Sent from my Tandy TRS-80!