Author Topic: CB750A Street ET bracket drag bike. A year to build it.  (Read 607488 times)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: CB750A Street ET bracket drag bike. A year to build it.
« Reply #250 on: December 23, 2010, 04:39:40 pm »
Bed time ;) ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #251 on: December 23, 2010, 07:40:00 pm »
Lookin good fellas.

As a back up though that chrome QA tank in one pic might be even lighter.  ;D

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #252 on: December 24, 2010, 12:47:22 am »
Lookin good fellas.

As a back up though that chrome QA tank in one pic might be even lighter.  ;D

Ha ha, yes, but I think the monkey might object to having a tiger on its back. :D :D :D :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #253 on: January 01, 2011, 03:36:53 pm »
Sam,it's getting closer to one of us on it's back! ;)
We got front brakes...well almost ,still wrapping up.

Also found old CC double loop fork brace

Took my bracket off Yoshi kitted race bike,anyone got another for steering damper?

We're getting there....got 59 more days!

This one is for Mr Automatic..Jon Weeks,see we do have cooler,just got to mount. ;D
Rt side pic

Another from the right.

Great job on seat!Thanks,Sam
Hopefully more tomorrow,gotta couple surprises!,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #254 on: January 02, 2011, 09:24:51 am »
Mounting points for oil cooler?  seems to be very close to space steering dampener uses? Happy New Year.

Jon W.  :)

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #255 on: January 02, 2011, 10:54:19 am »
Yeah,probably the biggest challenge so far. ;)Made it work on road race bike,but you're right it's all got to go under steering stem.At least the easiest,most common sense mount I think.On RR bike I was using Derale Comp. cooler.I put on couple more pcs. last night,pics later today.Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #256 on: January 02, 2011, 11:36:47 am »
Billy, where is the top of the damper mounted, if it was mounted to a fork leg clamp, would it clear the cooler?

I have a leg clamp but not sure what diameter leg it fits, I'll dig it out tomorrow and measure it, it came off my VRF400R. What is the legs outside diameter on the auto, measure and post it please.

Bikes looking good, you're doing a fine job. 8)

Sam. ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:01:56 pm by SamCB750A »
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #257 on: January 02, 2011, 04:37:47 pm »
Ummm, fellas, i'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here but are we building a road racing bike or one for drag racing??? While the seat looks great and is practical on a RR bike. the rearward position really isn't practical to launch a dragbike. The riders weight will be positioned toward the back to middle of the bike. On a no bar bike you really want that weight as far to the front of the bike as possible- check out the outlaw or grudge bikes to see what i mean. Since the motor on Sams bike has been pumped up and the convertor stall increased, the bike will really want to leave hard. With the bottom end torque from the SOHC motor, the front end will want to climb right off the hit. You need to keep all of your weight forward on the bike. Also, do you guys intend to leave those struts on the bike? I hope they are merely there until you get a good set of shocks to help with weight transfer. Again, i'm not trying to step on any toes and I'm not an expert but i have built a few no bar bikes and feel this set up might need a second look.

Forgive me if i have offended anyone. I am only offering my opinion based on personal experience.
Yes, i know the saying about opinions- i'm just exposing mine to daylight- lol. 

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #258 on: January 02, 2011, 05:02:42 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Your opinion is noted Frank, I saw mine in a mirror once, not a pretty site.  :D :D :D :D :D

Will get back tomorrow Frank, well past my bed time with a few glasses of whisky to make me sleep, purely medicinal you know. ::)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #259 on: January 02, 2011, 05:12:55 pm »
Ummm, fellas, i'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here but are we building a road racing bike or one for drag racing??? While the seat looks great and is practical on a RR bike. the rearward position really isn't practical to launch a dragbike. The riders weight will be positioned toward the back to middle of the bike. On a no bar bike you really want that weight as far to the front of the bike as possible- check out the outlaw or grudge bikes to see what i mean. Since the motor on Sams bike has been pumped up and the convertor stall increased, the bike will really want to leave hard. With the bottom end torque from the SOHC motor, the front end will want to climb right off the hit. You need to keep all of your weight forward on the bike. Also, do you guys intend to leave those struts on the bike? I hope they are merely there until you get a good set of shocks to help with weight transfer. Again, i'm not trying to step on any toes and I'm not an expert but i have built a few no bar bikes and feel this set up might need a second look.

Forgive me if i have offended anyone. I am only offering my opinion based on personal experience.
Points well taken,I figured we'd have to find seat position and adjust(seat really dual drag seat ;D)rear needs to move forward half the distance;Sam,we need butt pad!On shocks I hadn't thought about it,but that sounds interesting.We might be looking skyward with the struts! ;D,Thanks for the input,keep it coming please.Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #260 on: January 02, 2011, 05:22:09 pm »
There will be quite a bit of set up we need to look at in relation to the struts and seat position Billy, It's not somthing I haven't thought about.

See your PMs, off too bed soon.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #261 on: January 02, 2011, 05:45:38 pm »
Billy, where is the top of the damper mounted, if it was mounted to a fork leg clamp, would it clear the cooler?

I have a leg clamp but not sure what diameter leg it fits, I'll dig it out tomorrow and measure it, it came off my VRF400R. What is the legs outside diameter on the auto, measure and post it please.

Bikes looking good, you're doing a fine job. 8)

Sam. ;)

Billy, this is what I was on about.  http://www.dhgate.com/50mm-fork-clamp-for-steering-damper-no-0105/p-ff8080812a7e198e012a7efb5cdf2d89.html

Sam ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #262 on: January 02, 2011, 06:25:46 pm »
More pics;lots to still work out! ;D,Bill
What's that next to tach?

What,theres two of them! Volt meter and oil temp gauge.

Seat needs to have pad or end here.

Time to eat and play! ;) ;D,Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #263 on: January 02, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »
Here's the pics of the seat for you Sam...

Made from thin aluminium..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #264 on: January 02, 2011, 08:44:50 pm »
You need my address?  ;) ;D.Yes,something like that would work and look good.Thanks,Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2011, 12:06:22 pm »
Old time Hondamatic racer.(12.6's)
You don't wheelie off of the starting line. Not enough torque and not numerically high enough gear ratios. When the bike does get into it's powerband, it does a power wheelie. This will be Sam about 50' off of the starting line. This is where you'll need the weight on the front end! Longer wheelbases help with leveraging the rider weight against this action. Shocks on the back help to transfer the weight to the back of the bike. It helps to extend the front fork springs. This tries to help the bike to wheelie off of the starting line. Struts are not a weight transfer mechanism. With about 1.8 second 60' times, most riders can hold onto the bars. Clutch bikes can launch much harder with more gears and higher launch rpms. Gear up a Hondamatic for a hard launch and you'll run out of gear by 300'! Translation: Sam will stay on the bike to the finish line. The pictured seat keeps the rider in place for the launch. If you have a fairing on the front of the bike, you get better aerodynamics by moving your butt back onto the higher section of the seat at about 300' off of the starting line. If you watch NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycles race, you'll see the riders doing what I'm writing about. Sam will be going about 80-90 mph slower. No fairing - your helmet cuts the wind. Not comfortable at triple digits!

J. Weeks  ;D (did my pdf show?)

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2011, 03:00:59 pm »
Jon,appreciate the input.Your pic didn't show,I tried to open,no go.Seat good,struts good.....cool.,Bill :)
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2011, 04:02:03 pm »
Computer at home is a pain in the butt, hope to get on tomorrow at work if it's not to busy.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #268 on: January 04, 2011, 06:52:45 am »

OK guys, as we all know, setting the bike up (or any bike for that matter) is the most important thing if you want to get the best from it.
The idea was to make the riding position, the wheel base and ride height all adjustable.
The seat allows the rider to get further forward than the stocker as the gas tank is shorter and long enough to let the rider slide back after launch and into the tuck position, so it's not really what you might call a road race seat.
The idea of the struts was to lose weight but if need be we could swap back to the shocks if they caused to much of a problem.
The RC 3 position swing arm was to hand so we decided to go with it in case we needed to extend the wheel base if the bike turned out to be prone to lifting the front end.
The arms needle roller bearings and their housings were shot so were replaced with plain bushes as the arm would not be going up and down. This was where all the problems started. We found out the the arm that was made for the CB750 would not allow the shocks or the struts to line up as the frames top rail and the stock swing arm are heavily cranked out to the left unlike the CB750 so the struts had to be made with quite a big offset.
There is a picture, 3rd down in the 2nd set on this page that shows the offset. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=61876.150#top we will just have to live with it as the shock will not fit the left side of the bike with out some trick conversion.
To add insult to injury the clevis on the bottom of the struts was made to short and the 2 rails on each side of the arm where the struts locate will have to be notched to allow the clevis to line up with the holes if we need to lower the rear end.
Another day, another challenge, we'll get there eventually ;D ;D ;D Happy New Year everyone. ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2011, 02:30:30 am »
Here's the pics of the seat for you Sam...

Made from thin aluminium..

Mick

Thanks for the pics Mick but I thought you were on about somthing after the seat, you said "tail piece"
I have a vintage aluminium tail piece of an old Honda drag bike that would look great on that bike....Looking good guys...

Mick

It's a street bike Mick but thanks for the offer, happy Christmas mate.

Sam. ;)

P.S. I still love ya. :-* :D ;)

Sorry mate , you've lost me..!! Your auto is a street bike.? I thought it was for drag racing or are you just dressing up in womens clothing  and riding it around town..... ;D  I will post a pic of the tail piece {would look good on the road as well} when the camera comes back home..{don't ask}... ::)
Merry Christmas Sam ... ;)

Mick

Sam. ;)

P.S. don't throw it away though someone might want it. The Auto frame is totally different to the K/Fs.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:34:44 am by SamCB750A »
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2011, 03:24:59 pm »
It was on an "F" frame with "F" tank. Definitely won't throw it away though {i don't throw anything away,ask the misses ;)} It may end up on a cafe style build at some stage.... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #271 on: January 07, 2011, 05:58:29 am »
Unless Billy has the bike ready any sooner, looks like my first test ride will be at Atlanta Commerce Dragway on Saturday 12th March. If all is well we'll be off to Rockingham NC for the first of the Mirock series event on the 18th, 19th and 20th March. Fingers crossed time. Just need to book a flight now. ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline luhojs

• Project hoarder
« Reply #272 on: January 07, 2011, 10:46:35 am »
I like this project a lot. I also like the oil cooler. Any word on the make/type?
cb750 chopper
cb750 dragbike

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #273 on: January 07, 2011, 11:21:39 am »
Hi Iuhojs, I think it's an Earls oil cooler. Perhaps Mike who bought it for us will chip in.
How about pics of your drag bike ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline luhojs

• Project hoarder
« Reply #274 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:39 pm »
Hi Iuhojs, I think it's an Earls oil cooler. Perhaps Mike who bought it for us will chip in.
How about pics of your drag bike ?

Sam. ;)

I'll do even better and paint you a picture.... Imagine this:

- A neglected hasn't run for years 750F
- A hot cam from a well known american source
- A race muffler from the same source
- A stroker crankshaft (actually a 750A)
- A pair of inner fork tubes sticking out of the top yoke
- A bid on a pair of dual webers
- The lure of a set of them cheap-but-just-as-good 836 piston sets
- A promise from a "friend" to weld a lengthened swingarm
- A brilliant low budget idea for a pair of aluminium rims
- The smell of burnt rubber

People call me a project hoarder...they are family. The others think I collect rust

cb750 chopper
cb750 dragbike