Author Topic: CB750A Street ET bracket drag bike. A year to build it.  (Read 607462 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB750A Street ET bracket drag bike. A year to build it.
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2011, 07:42:17 pm »
 Sam, you got me worried a bit.
 You say there is a difference in the rear portion of an A frame, (I was thinking of running one with a K motor)

Are you sure the swingarm is not tweaked?
 I measured shock mounts on a 76A vs a 78F frame today, they are the same width. Also rear motor mounts are same width. Not sure if there is any offset between shock mts and motor, though.

I wouldnt have trimmed the arm... struts are really easy to make..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2011, 09:01:01 pm »
Must be that 77/78 F, K and A models are a bit wider than 76 and down K models.. I am thinking there is a bit of offset to the left side..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline luhojs

• Project hoarder
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2011, 12:48:59 pm »
You'll need more than that in regard to the engine IMO but maybe you are withholding major points.. That's what I call a good start.

It's getting go-faster stripes as well  ;D

I need a lot more thinking done to the motor. I am still in the large chunks phase. The crankshaft for instance: I haven't checked what the rod angle is going to be with stock rods. I don't even know yet what rods to use. I have got no idea what he CR is going to be. I think it will clear the cylindersleeves but I haven't checked. I don't know how to compensate for the needed extra cylinder length. I could make an aluminium strokerplate from a base gasket pattern but maybe there are more elegant solutions. and so on.
I might start a new topic just to try and get some info from fellow enthusiasts

As for the head it will defeniately need a valvejob with bigger valves and of course porting. I don't know yet what the best combination with this cam is.

Big thing is I want it to be as they did it in them days. A dragbike that takes the win on sunday and you ride to work on monday..

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:47:09 pm by luhojs »
cb750 chopper
cb750 dragbike

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #278 on: January 10, 2011, 12:25:16 am »
You'll need more than that in regard to the engine IMO but maybe you are withholding major points.. That's what I call a good start.

It's getting go-faster stripes as well  ;D

I need a lot more thinking done to the motor. I am still in the large chunks phase. The crankshaft for instance: I haven't checked what the rod angle is going to be with stock rods. I don't even know yet what rods to use. I have got no idea what he CR is going to be. I think it will clear the cylindersleeves but I haven't checked. I don't know how to compensate for the needed extra cylinder length. I could make an aluminium strokerplate from a base gasket pattern but maybe there are more elegant solutions. and so on.
I might start a new topic just to try and get some info from fellow enthusiasts

As for the head it will defeniately need a valvejob with bigger valves and of course porting. I don't know yet what the best combination with this cam is.

Big thing is I want it to be as they did it in them days. A dragbike that takes the win on sunday and you ride to work on monday..

Whats' wrong with the stock rods that you have, if your cam don't push the power higher up the rev range, stock rods should be OK, have them shot peened and fit stronger bolts.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2011, 05:50:35 am »
Sam, you got me worried a bit.
 You say there is a difference in the rear portion of an A frame, (I was thinking of running one with a K motor)

Are you sure the swingarm is not tweaked?
 I measured shock mounts on a 76A vs a 78F frame today, they are the same width. Also rear motor mounts are same width. Not sure if there is any offset between shock mts and motor, though.

I wouldnt have trimmed the arm... struts are really easy to make..

Frank, it might be just the swingarm that is cranked out to the left, I compaired it to another arm when I was at Mikes and it was about 5/8th of an inch wider. When I said the rear of the frame was wider, it might be that just the stubb where the top hole of the shock pushes over might be longer than the right hand side, can't really tell from the pics. If you have an A frame, just measure it.
I think the problem was the output shaft on the auto sticks further out so to get the chain alignment, the sprocket carrier has to be that 5/8th wider.

Billy, I have posted a diagram of how I think the swingarm will need to be modified if you need to lower the rear end.
I couldn't figure how to do it on the computer.  :-[  :D :D :D

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2011, 08:02:44 am »
We got 5-7 inches of snow in Atlanta! Time to work on SAMAUTO 750.Rt rear shock mounting boss on 1976 CB750A
is 75cm.Left side boss 150cm.!Cooler is mounted,all be it not the traditional way;kinda like Freddie's 82 CB750 DOHC.His did mount to frame.I figure for dragracing this will work.Maximum cooling for sure.Going to use braided lines with 90* fittings to cooler.Route up and inside tubes with guides.Got new rear tire Bridgestone Spitfire to match front,also like the profile better and the other one is OLD! Like us! ;D Chain this week and finish running brake hardware front and rear.Gotta straighten rear tailight mount(too many Boddingtons!)Light does work.Heres some pics:

I still think it'll work. Can add bracket to bottom hole of H/lite ear and attach to cooler(triangulate the bracket,but I think it's strong enough.

Time will tell........!

The Tiger approoves! ;)

Lines next.

Back to work!Lots to do.Bill ;D
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2011, 10:27:49 am »
 Did you try the oil cooler along the frame in the are by the left front motor mount/alternator cover..? Turnrd 90 degrees from the way it sits now?
dodogas99@gmail.com

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2011, 10:51:32 am »
Frank,I didn't try that application,but we'll see,looks like it could work there also.Thanks,Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #283 on: January 10, 2011, 03:52:33 pm »
The cooler is upside down Bill, isn't it?

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2011, 04:31:25 pm »
Not sure,saw one mounted like this on Big Grizzly I think.I only got cooler and oill filter adapter and bolt.Easy enough to turn over.Will go on line and see what Earl's has to say.Thanks,Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2011, 10:31:58 pm »
 If you guy's need any braided line or fittings i found this site that seems to have great prices.   ;D

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.php?cPath=17&osCsid=0121c808a7f959873b282df2a91ffed9
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2011, 07:22:05 am »
If you guy's need any braided line or fittings i found this site that seems to have great prices.   ;D

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.php?cPath=17&osCsid=0121c808a7f959873b282df2a91ffed9
Thanks,will check them out.Yes,Ben or Mike shoot me a pic of yours.Might be time to get with Big Jim CB750
,Mr.micro welder,I owe him a call anyway.He can make mounts if needed. ;),Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2011, 07:35:23 am »
I think Franks idea was the best bet, up on end in front of the genny cover with the return pipe at the top, will get plenty of cool air down there.
Where it is now and connected to stiff oil lines, might make the front end feel strange when the front wheel is off the track which it will be at some stage during the run.
Do we really need the fork brace for straight line racing, looked much better with the front fender on.
You are going to take that silly tiger off the tank before we race aren't you. :D :D :D :D
Did I mention that I've booked my flight, lock up you women Atlanta. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2011, 02:36:47 pm »
Unless Billy has the bike ready any sooner, looks like my first test ride will be at Atlanta Commerce Dragway on Saturday 12th March. If all is well we'll be off to Rockingham NC for the first of the Mirock series event on the 18th, 19th and 20th March. Fingers crossed time. Just need to book a flight now. ;)

Sam. ;)

Sam, odds are we will be in Atlanta at the same time and of course at Rockingham. It'll be nice to see this bike make its maiden voyage.

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:31 pm »
Hey Sam Atlanta Dragway is just a stones throw away from me!  I just checked and I'm not on call that weekend, so if all goes well I hope to be up there to watch the first passes.  And also met the cat in white leathers! ;)

Travis
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

If your not first, your last - Ricky Bobby

1992 GL1500 Interstate

73 CB750 Bobber Project (Always an on going project) Sold
71 CL350 Scrambler Project (Done and riding it) Sold
78 CB750 F3 Super Sport with F 0 engine (Current project)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #290 on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »
Sam, odds are we will be in Atlanta at the same time and of course at Rockingham. It'll be nice to see this bike make its maiden voyage.

I don't know about the bikes maiden voyage Frank, it will be great just to see you again.
To have someone with your experience at our first test will be a real plus and I guess we might even go head to head  against you at the rock, that will be awsome if we get the two SOHCers into the final :D :D :D just joking Frank, it's all about having a good time and in good company. 8)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #291 on: January 11, 2011, 03:27:55 pm »
Hey Sam Atlanta Dragway is just a stones throw away from me!  I just checked and I'm not on call that weekend, so if all goes well I hope to be up there to watch the first passes.  And also met the cat in white leathers! ;)

Travis

Looking forward to it Travis, I'll bring some local brew, bring your own glass as it can't be drunk from the can, it's real special. ::)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #292 on: January 11, 2011, 04:38:13 pm »
I think Franks idea was the best bet, up on end in front of the genny cover with the return pipe at the top, will get plenty of cool air down there.
Where it is now and connected to stiff oil lines, might make the front end feel strange when the front wheel is off the track which it will be at some stage during the run.
Do we really need the fork brace for straight line racing, looked much better with the front fender on.
You are going to take that silly tiger off the tank before we race aren't you. :D :D :D :D
Did I mention that I've booked my flight, lock up you women Atlanta. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)

Sam,fender and tank @ painters.Hope to use both.....but we know your preference.Will relocate cooler,figured that mount might be a little stretch.The tiger attracts the ladies!PM me on leathers,you can bring 'em with you! 60 day countdown begins NOW! ;D,Where do you want your cupholder? ;),Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #293 on: January 11, 2011, 05:04:25 pm »
We need to start getting serious here!?  Bill needs some motor running time before it's maiden voyage. You'll need an idle screw in the carb linkage. My attempt wasn't well thought out! If you set the idle with the throttle cable, you will shorten the cable life. I need a mailing address for the stuff you'll need that you don't have before it starts going down the track.(private message) Do we have the 20W-40/50 Yamalube conventional bike oil located for use after tossing the initial breakin oil? The clock is ticking....
     Front fork brace loops are extra weight and unneeded. The oil cooler would look better directly below the headlight if there is suspension room. If necessary the steering shock can mount above the triple tree with the oil cooler above the headers, below the tank. The air cools the oil going down the track. The headers heat the oil when staging. Both in moderation are good things.

Slightly off topic, but definitely in response to previous comments: Automatic cranks have the exact same stroke as the clutch versions. The primary chain changes but using gold wing clutch baskets, you can make it work. The real factory stroker crank is the '79-'82 Honda 900F. You don't want to use the '82 1100F crank due to cam chain issues. You'll gain 6mm in stroke. You can make a metal spacer for the bottom of the cylinders and use stock length rods and/or use shorter DOHC Honda 750 rods (4?mm shorter) The SOHC case must have some slight relief for the "stroker" counterweights. The ignition used is stock points plate/advancer unit from the older bike that the DOHC crank end is modified to use. Seals aren't the same for the crank ends. You'll have challenges to modify the 900F crank to kick or electric start. It's a lot easier to weld up your stock crank to increase the stroke. Ape can help with that. The torque increase in the midrange is very noticeable.
     The stock rods don't break with a torque converter. Clutch SOHC 750's drag raced do break rods especially with heavier pistons (aka bigger). The shock loading of sticky rubber and grabbing clutches can break stock rods especially as you significantly increase horsepower. Hondamatics don't have as much shock loads when drag racing. The stock rods stretch with bigger, heavier pistons. The piston pins will start rattling in oval holes in the small ends of the stock rods. I've got a set that I replaced shortly before it would have put metal on metal somewhere.... The DOHC 750 Honda rods are better, but still not designed for racing.
     Sam, you need to start working on your reactions - No, not catching the flask before it hits the floor! We're not trying to improve your wrist or elbow motions, but your fingers need to be on time. I'll find an online practice tree somewhere and post the url here.
     I'm booking my flight this week. At least one of us is crazy here!

Hondamatic

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #294 on: January 11, 2011, 07:16:53 pm »
Jon..............yes it's time.PM on the way.Thanks for oil info,this is what we need.Fork brace coming off,I use the stock brace to mount the fender anyway.With brace off more room for cooler.Should be able to mount conventionally.Hope to have running bike by Feb.15th.Thanks,Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2011, 03:06:46 am »

Sam. ;)

Sam,fender and tank @ painters.Hope to use both.....but we know your preference.Will relocate cooler,figured that mount might be a little stretch.The tiger attracts the ladies!PM me on leathers,you can bring 'em with you! 60 day countdown begins NOW! ;D,Where do you want your cupholder? ;),Bill

Let's get the priorities in the right order Billy, cupholder next to ashtray :D leathers need to come or I don't race, :( I don't need a tiger to attract ladies, I have something better :D :D :D the rest is down to you. ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #296 on: January 12, 2011, 06:07:57 am »
Well,I was going to relocate it this morning(still snowed in)I moved it last night.See what you think,will add some rubber washers etc.Is this position good? If so we'll leave it and carry on. ;)Bill
Sam,I was talking about bringing me some leathers :( ;D
Falcons going to Superbowl? You wanted me to change the Tiger,Tiger!
You and the ladies...........well I ain't shaving me head! ;D
Heres some pics.......of the bike not the ladies!

Well?

I think it can work.

For you Sam!

Really the long seat is for the ladies.....it's a street bike! ;) ;D
Jon says get to work! OK,Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #297 on: January 12, 2011, 06:44:21 am »
That's better Billy, Could the bracket be cranked so it's a bit further away from the exhaust and nearer the genny cover,...no problem if not. I thought you tried on my leathers :-\

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #298 on: January 12, 2011, 06:57:05 am »
We need to start getting serious here!?   Do we have the 20W-40/50 Yamalube conventional bike oil located for use after tossing the initial breakin oil? The clock is ticking....

Sam, you need to start working on your reactions - No, not catching the flask before it hits the floor! We're not trying to improve your wrist or elbow motions, but your fingers need to be on time. I'll find an online practice tree somewhere and post the url here.
     I'm booking my flight this week. At least one of us is crazy here!

Hondamatic

Jon, what other options do we have if we can't find the right Yamalube, what is next best.
I've searched on the net for it but can't find it, harder to find than Castrol R30 and that's nigh on impossible.

Sam. ;)

http://www.racewindsor.com/Trees/sportsman.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:51:27 am by SamCB750A »
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #299 on: January 12, 2011, 08:12:30 am »
Sam,I'll check today.Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook