Author Topic: Project Anna-CB500  (Read 38893 times)

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
Project Anna-CB500
« on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:46 pm »
Hello all,

I guess a little about me, this is my first bike and I bought her in late September off a friend who had her for 6 years. I've put almost 900 miles on her since and it's been raining for the last month (it's Vancouver :) ). This is my favorite part of the SOHC forum, I've spent a lot of time lurking on the build threads.

Now the bike, her name is Anna, she's a '73 CB500 and I'd like to continue the cafe theme my buddy started quite a while ago. This is how she looked on day 1. I'm not planning on re-inventing the wheel, I'll be going for a fairly stock cafe look because that's how I like em  ;) I guess the only non standard thing I'm going to try and do is make a removable rack that will fit over the back of my seat for long distance camping trips.

The plan is over the winter to do mostly cosmetic changes and regular matinence, enjoy riding for a year then next winter tear her down, PC the frame rebuild the motor etc.

I've already started with paint and tonight I am waiting on my seat auction on eBay to end to find out if I have my seat pan. Also waiting on my new shop, in a very crowded single car garage and moving into a space 4 times bigger at the end of the month. Here is the progress so far

List of things I want to get done before trip to Texas in Feb:
Order,fit and install bump seat
Ditch rear fender
Smaller signals and Brake light
Build Removable Rack
Shocks
Build Camera mount
Exaust wrap
Misc cosmetic cosmetic changes
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:15:41 pm by Bluegreen »

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
Re: Project Anna-CB500 Cafe
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:00:27 pm »
Have my seat from eBay, now I just need my shop. Can't wait. I've got 3 or 4 different ways I'm considering of attaching it, although I'm really weary about welding the frame for some reason, trying to avoid it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:13:38 pm by Bluegreen »

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:19:42 am »
So I guess it's time for a bit of an update, I've been busy. Most of my original list is done and moving onto more mechanicl things I guess, including a front forks rebuild.

This is how I mounted my seat. A front bracket made out of some flat stock that slips under the frame. The bracket in the hump has a hole in it that a carrige bolt attached to the hoop on the back of the frame fits into. I can get my had in there and screw down a wingnut. And then bondoglassed the rubbers off the stock seat for stability. Very happy with how secure it ended up.

Seat on, painted and cut polished.

Engine running strong, just wanted to polish up a bit, may rebuild next year.

Engine in, exaust wrap on.

New Progressive shocks!! And lincence plate bracket. Stop light is in too!! Did a 35 LED strip just below the seat. Works great.

About to finish with the rear swing arm bushing install tommorw. It's back in, just need to re-tension chain. I also put a 16t front sprocket on before I did this and took her out for a spin, what a difference, felt like free horsepower :)

Offline westondc

• Wes Mantooth
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 02:34:38 pm »
wow that bike looks alot better now, the paint looks great! i like the exhaust thats on it. she's looking pretty sharp, keep up the good work.
B.O.X.N.I.F.E. Hospital fund https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/8352
Rider no. 115 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 274 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
1972 Honda CB500k1
1971 Honda CB350k3
the project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64499.0
Trip/Project Blog http://easterntowestern.blogspot.com/
just be a vagabond, living out of a backpack on a little Honda, cruisin all over the damn place....
"As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?"

Offline rickmoore24

• Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems.
  • Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:30:14 pm »
Wow, great job! She looks like a totally different bike. Ireally like the silver paint.
1972 CB750 K2 (Daily Runner)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1973 CB750 K3 (Hardtail 836cc)
1998 CBR F3 - R.I.P., went down on the 101 in Calabasas, Ca.
1995 EG6

Offline kck3

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:50:32 pm »
Bike looks really good.  Who did you go thru to get the progressive shocks?

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 05:57:42 pm »
looks good, you said you were from Vanvouver WA?
"Little Horse Cycles" facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Horse-Cycles/185809474769493

LHC is my start up cafe racer shop specializing in custom parts, bikes, restoration and recreation

The 500 builds http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64250.0

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:08 pm »
Thanks everybody! The funny part about the exaust is they are Harley mufflers.

@kck3 I went though a local dealer, I get a good deal there and usually get parts the next day.

@cornandp Vancouver BC, although I guess it rains a lot in both places.

Offline YogiBear

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 12:19:14 am »
Looks a hell of alot better from the start. Ive got a CB500 im going the cafe route on, and I gotta ask you, how is it to ride with clubmans and stock pegs? I noticed the shifter is pointed down a little. Ive got clip ons on mine with stock pegs, but im not able to ride it yet. Thanks.

1974 Honda CB750K4        1973 Honda CB500 Four

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 04:37:53 am »
I'm surprised you painted the seat black. I would have thought you would painted it silver to match the rest of the bike.

Great looking ride so far. Very classy.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

CU2151

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 07:46:22 am »
Wow, that is looking great!  I'm looking for the same kind of look for my cb550.  What kind of rear signals did you go with?  I bought some cheap-o led ones off ebay and they are completely worthless and don't put out nearly the light needed.  

Also, could you post a link to the seat you bought?  Looks real good on the bike.

Offline westondc

• Wes Mantooth
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 08:13:26 am »

Also, could you post a link to the seat you bought?  Looks real good on the bike.

that is a nice looking cafe seat, i'm also interested in where you located it. i'm guessing you probably had to pay some real dough for it.

Also, i've noticed in this thread and others that the old paint is stripped before the new coat is to be applied. what do you use to strip off the old paint??
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:16:18 am by westondc »
B.O.X.N.I.F.E. Hospital fund https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/8352
Rider no. 115 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 274 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
1972 Honda CB500k1
1971 Honda CB350k3
the project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64499.0
Trip/Project Blog http://easterntowestern.blogspot.com/
just be a vagabond, living out of a backpack on a little Honda, cruisin all over the damn place....
"As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?"

CU2151

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 09:58:04 am »
I've seen a lot of folks strip it like that using that aircraft paint remover stuff.  I hope that's what you used cause I just picked up a can of it at Walmart for $8 and am looking for good results.  It's in an aerosol spray can.

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 10:51:47 pm »
Thanks for the complements!!
Looks a hell of alot better from the start. Ive got a CB500 im going the cafe route on, and I gotta ask you, how is it to ride with clubmans and stock pegs? I noticed the shifter is pointed down a little. Ive got clip ons on mine with stock pegs, but im not able to ride it yet. Thanks.

I didn't mind the stock pegs when I still had the stock seat and clubmans but now that I have the new seat I'd like to move them straight back a few inches.

I'm surprised you painted the seat black. I would have thought you would painted it silver to match the rest of the bike.

Great looking ride so far. Very classy.

I'm trying to balance beauty and some toughness. For some reson in my mind this is part of that balance along with the exaust wrap.

Wow, that is looking great!  I'm looking for the same kind of look for my cb550.  What kind of rear signals did you go with?  I bought some cheap-o led ones off ebay and they are completely worthless and don't put out nearly the light needed. 

Also, could you post a link to the seat you bought?  Looks real good on the bike.

The signals are Emgos, I think 20 something a pair. The seat I got off of a guy who sells them on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cafe-seat-Yamaha-Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuki-XS-CB-KZ-GS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255889beb5QQitemZ160399212213QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Also, could you post a link to the seat you bought?  Looks real good on the bike.

that is a nice looking cafe seat, i'm also interested in where you located it. i'm guessing you probably had to pay some real dough for it.

Also, i've noticed in this thread and others that the old paint is stripped before the new coat is to be applied. what do you use to strip off the old paint??

Circa 1850. I think you can find it at any hardware store. Worked great. Apply a layer, have a ciggarette, strip, apply a layer, have a ciggarette, strip, rinse repeat.

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 11:16:35 pm »
Thought I'd throw up a fe more photos

This is my rear taillight and bracket. You can also see the carrige bolt with the wingnut sticking up. This goes into a a hole I drilled in a bracket that is attached to my seat. I got this idea from someone on this forum who did the same thing with a cutting board attached to his seat.

New coils and leads. Pretty much the only thing on Anna that isn't silver or black.

Offline YogiBear

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 11:20:40 pm »
Ok, I gotta ask. Where did you get that Tailight Strip?? I like that alot. Is it a tailight and brakelight? Oh and btw, the motor looks gorgeous.  ;)

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 01:06:00 am »
Ok, I gotta ask. Where did you get that Tailight Strip?? I like that alot. Is it a tailight and brakelight? Oh and btw, the motor looks gorgeous.  ;)

http://www.bikerhiway.com/radiantz-flexible-led-light-strip-red-leds-p-310.html

They also sell the little unit that turns it into a taillight/brake light, works like a charm. And I picked up my DOT approved electronic flasher control unit there as well for my signals.

Thank you btw

Offline boulder74

• '75 CB 500 Cafe...almost done
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 12:32:07 pm »
Nice ride.  I just stumbled upon your thread, I have a '75 500 myself and it's actually in getting painted silver (with black racing stripes) as I type.  nice to get a sneak peek of what my bike's gonna look like when they are done.   I saw you changed out the front and rear shocks, where did you get them?  I'm gonna tear down the entire bike this fall and go 'frame up' on it. 

Cheers

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 01:15:25 am »
Well thank you. I got them at a local shop that just closed down. I'm kinda bummed about that. I guess I should update with some photo's, she looks quite different now.

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
Re: Project Anna-CB500- Round 2
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 01:46:02 am »
Well I've had this bike for almost exactly a year now. Looks a little different now. As time has gone on handling has become the obsession. I have a 550 motor sitting on the bench waiting for my Rocky 555 pistons to go in, a 650 cam and a general overhaul. But handling has come first. The front forks are off a '78 550. The Progressives fit much better in those and they have the dual disc tabs. I liked the look of the clubmans the bike came with but they had to go, they made adjusting the forks difficult and lowering the front end impossible. Anyway a few pics I guess.

I think we did 6-7000 miles together this year. The best trip being a 2000 mile journey through eastern Washington and Oregon. The 395 is amazing !!

IMG_4380 by _bluegreen_, on Flickr

Rearsets. Fun.

IMG_4006 by _bluegreen_, on Flickr

Mods to underside of my new to me Rickman.

IMG_5003 by _bluegreen_, on Flickr

Drilled these myself. The whole dual disc thing seemed a little daunting, was pretty easy in the end. I do recomend getting a master meant for duals, the stock is very soft with this setup.

IMG_5011 by _bluegreen_, on Flickr

I wish this photo was better, but it's all I've got.

IMG_5012 by _bluegreen_, on Flickr

So what's next? Steering damper sitting on bench waiting to be installed and Avon Roadriders going on this week.

Offline sinister902

• Hot Shot
    • Anger Street Kustoms
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 06:30:11 am »
I LOVE those rearsets, what brand are they or where did you get them?

Offline rickmoore24

• Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems.
  • Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 07:23:44 am »
Yes, more info on the rearsets please. She looks great!
1972 CB750 K2 (Daily Runner)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1973 CB750 K3 (Hardtail 836cc)
1998 CBR F3 - R.I.P., went down on the 101 in Calabasas, Ca.
1995 EG6

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 08:09:27 am »
Wow... bike looked great! But with that tank on there...she's set RIGHT OFF!! Looks killer and it's awesome that you put the miles to it and ride it like it should be! Great stuff!!!

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 08:41:33 am »
 These things are totaly ment to be ridden :)

Rearset info as requested:
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-112/Rearsets--Fixed-Rubber/Detail

Offline YogiBear

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 11:20:55 am »
That's a very nice looking fender bob, Bluegreen.  ;)