Author Topic: Interest in a custom made 4-4 exhaust for the CB750K?  (Read 26239 times)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
Re: Interest in a custom made 4-4 exhaust for the CB750K?
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2010, 11:51:17 am »
Good news is i'm pretty much back to full health anyways lol.

good to hear... uh, read.  8)

1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 11:55:49 am »
agreed!  glad to hear you're back to health, i'm sure quite a few of us were a bit worried with your condition, very unfortunate!  but get all those A's and get back to the exhaust!  tons of us want to see it done and hear it!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline Gonzowerke

• I burn asses like a Bhut Jolokia, 'cause I'm a real
  • Hot Shot
  • Member #106, Owner of the ORIGINAL Frankenbike!
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2010, 05:12:34 pm »
As long as they look like the CR's, I'm in.
1977 F2 "Highway Star"
1977 F2 "Bike-In-A-Box"
1978 K8 "Frankenbike"
1991 CRX Si "Buzz Bomb"
2000 Jeep Wrangler "UBoat"
2011 BMW S1000RR "TIE Fighter"

Offline tinyrobot

• Hot Shot
  • Mock it up before you Fock it up!
    • ChiVinMoto
Re: Interest in a custom made exhaust for the CB750K?
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2010, 09:04:31 am »

HB-1 Dude... Patience brother. They've taken three years to produce, but they're on their way so start saving them pennies.  ;D  RR

So what is up with these?  I watched a set of Magnis on ebay pass my bid and still not meet the reserve.  I really want a set!

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2010, 10:02:49 am »
HB-1 Dude... Patience brother. They've taken three years to produce, but they're on their way so start saving them pennies.  ;D  RR

So what is up with these?  I watched a set of Magnis on ebay pass my bid and still not meet the reserve.  I really want a set!

Our initial European exhaust maker had some health issues and couldn't produce them in even a limited quantity: like one set in two years. We're currently looking for an alternative maker who will make the megs and matching headers to spec. Bringing this product to market at a reasonable price continues to be a challenge. RR
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:18 am »
The Magnis on ebay had only 33.5 mm diameter at the front. You need 35 mm or an ugly adapter tube.
To update RR, one more set is almost done, just the baffles have to be assembled.
This version does not have the dent for the rear brake axle, so it will be perfect
for custom rear sets.

nippon
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:52:44 am by nippon »

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2010, 01:44:40 pm »
ya, but how much??

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2010, 06:09:51 pm »
RR, Nippon,
 Happy for the update. Sorry to hear about the delays and lack of builders. I must admit, it is a complicated bit of metal forming. Damn is it sexy though!!
 But after a year + of unemployment, I have been in the carribean building a rum distillery for 3 months now with atleast 2 to go. When I get back I will be starting my HB1 project. Would like to be able to get a set of those beautiful megaphones for the project. I would like a template of the footprint of the tank, if anyone can come up with one. I guess the airtech copy will do as it is supposedly molded from one. Hopefully, soon I will be back to my dream bike project.
Need them megga's!!!

HB
"If you always expect the worst, you can never be dissappointed, only surprised"

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2010, 07:49:48 am »
so, how's all this going??  have you given up on us yet?

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:39 am »

Dude, we never give up until that's the only option. It's just that it's taken over three years to have two sets of pipes made and that's a little excessive.  ::)  However, we're working on finding a way to produce the curved pipes without spending ten grand (or more!) on steel dies. Dreams don't die easily; the work goes on.  We'll keep you informed.  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2010, 05:42:56 pm »
Hey guys, I'm still interested and at the rate I'm going you will be right on time. Since I machined up the frame fixture in '05 I had triplets and a hurricane that year. Everything went on hold. Now things are looking up and some spare time to get back to it. Been gathering bikes and parts and info. Still need a HB1 Tank tracing. I gave up on exact frame specs so it will be my interpretation of the frame. But it will be high end with respect given to Mr Tamburini and proper geometry. Total and exact repro, I think is disrespectful anyway.
 Still in St. Croix working, job is over in a few weeks, saved some cash and hope to get back on track soon. Hope to get the pipes by the time I need them, so I don't have to make them myself. Really want to concentrate on frame and engine, but making my own pipes would just make it sweeter. Still might need the Read Titan bodywork for another project, though.

But anyhow, keep up the good work guys.

HB
"If you always expect the worst, you can never be dissappointed, only surprised"

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2010, 05:57:17 pm »

Thanks, HB. Let us know what we can do to help your project. My phone number is on the CCC website. RR

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2010, 06:35:25 pm »

However, we're working on finding a way to produce the curved pipes without spending ten grand (or more!) on steel dies.

My friend has been using cast lead dies to form 18 gauge mild steel for his metal-art. The lead actually holds up very well with use.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2010, 06:42:03 pm »

Thanks for that lead.. er.. lead..er.. you know!  ::) I'm looking into ferroalloy and polymer resins as die media for short run stamping, but I'd like to know a lot more about the lead dies. Any chance you can get more into? Since this isn't a topic of general interest, you're welcome to PM me and we'll take it off the board. Thanks.  RR

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2010, 01:29:42 pm »
RR,
 The pipes you have, are they identical or identical pairs, or all different?

HB

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »

HB, are you experienced at hydroforming?  Do you have a manufacturing solution for me?  RR

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:09:06 pm by Ricky_Racer »

Offline jimbocafe

« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2010, 06:46:32 pm »
Can anyone tell me the big deal on the 4- 4? is it the sound... or is it the performance? is it the "true to the image look" .. or is it just because it is inherently SEXY!? maybe it's all the above..... I know Carpy is touting performance and less weight for his 4-1. The weight issue is easy to quantify but the performance issue seams impossible to prove on the 4-1 over the 4-4. Just a distracting question while we wait for what? over three fricking years for someone on this side of the pond to make a 4 into4 for UNDER 1K!!!!! BTW I found this thread while collecting stainless parts to build a 4-4 utilizing stepped pipes and 17.5 cones (to keep the cost reasonable) I also have a design for the silencer that is adjustable for sound so you don't have to stash your silencers while cruisin on Friday nights and it keeps your hands from gettin sooty. HA... hows that!, I have been at it for 2 weeks and was hoping to have it done by now?! I guess the jokes on me for even attempting it (it's still a pile of parts) Also if CCC's seat is indicative of the 4 into 4 he is making we are all in for a treat. Best of luck all you 4-4 builders and dreamers alike.... Ranting James, JIMBO CAFE

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »
RR,
 Although I have built my share of 2 and 4 stroke pipes, I have not been able to try, or see the Hydro process. As I understand it, it is in a nutshell 2  pieces welded together in a predetermined flat  shape than water ballooned into shape. That being said, RR, you can contact Tomcat Loftis over at the Worldwide Triples forum, for I believe he knows alot about it.

Jimbo,
 First just let me say, I love the street perf sound of seventies 4 into 1 pipe with a megaphone muffler. That being said, after you experience a M3 engine breathing out through cr750 4-4's wide open at Daytona or standing next to it in the pits, it is the true sound of power from these engines. Ultimately, one pipe per carb is the free-est breathing way to go which is what you want when you want to stay in the upper powerband. In 05' at Daytona there were two works MV Agusta's there and I stood about 20 feet behind one when it was being warmed up and it sounded somewhere between the cr and the RC166 6 cyl.

So basically, I would say it's all good it just depends on what you want. I just don't like quiet!

HB

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2010, 08:38:12 pm »
Can anyone tell me the big deal on the 4- 4? is it the sound... or is it the performance?
jimbo, it was pretty much proven decades ago that individual pipes could enhance power at a specific RPM, at the cost of more difficult fitment and increased weight. Read Philip Smith's "The Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems". 
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2010, 08:46:35 pm »

HB, are you experienced at hydroforming?  Do you have a manufacturing solution for me?  RR

My friend using the lead molds makes the male die from lead, and what he called "spring neoprene rubber" for the female. Basically about a 2" thick platen(?) that is forced down over the male die. (he is only forming the metal about 3/4") He told me this was a type of hydro-forming. I guess the rubber acts like a liquid?

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2010, 03:49:27 pm »
While on the subject of Bimota's, I found this file on a Bimota BX1 CB750 frame kit
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3303/bx1ky.jpg

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2010, 04:09:58 pm »
That is a pic from the big Bimota book. A very good read with a complete history and los of pics. My avatar pic is also from the book.

HB

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2010, 06:02:15 pm »
That is a pic from the big Bimota book. A very good read with a complete history and los of pics. My avatar pic is also from the book.

HB
That is a good book. I purchased two copies for very short money
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline coneeng

• Cone Engineering

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2011, 10:55:11 pm »
Thanks for the link cone!!  I've been looking for a spring "kit" and I think that might just work!!