Author Topic: Spoked Rim Dent - Trashed?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
Spoked Rim Dent - Trashed?
« on: December 03, 2009, 03:42:17 am »
I probably know the answer to this, but I have to ask so that I don't discard something in ignorance.

I just pulled a set of 81 CB650 spoked wheels out of the darkness that is my garage loft to see if how well they would clean up.
Looked like they'd clean up well, but then I noticed a dent on the rear rim. 

Does this pretty much trash the rim?

Thanks, Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Spoked Rim Dent - Trashed?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 03:45:31 am »
Apart from looking ugly, (how the hell did it get dented like that? Someone shot it?) it'll probably work fine. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:52:33 am »
I have No idea how that dent got there.... I really hope that I didn't do it lugging the wheels into the attic loft 5 years ago  ::).

Later this winter, I'm going to remove the spokes and tire to look at it from the inside. Don't know if something like that can be smoothed out.  I was planning on painting the rims black. 

I'll probably find a new one to use and keep it around just-in-case.  Depends on how deep my pockets are in the spring

Joe

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:03:12 am »
Visualy and repair wise there is nothing you can do, legaly, at least here in UK, as long as it spins true it is OK to use
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 08:10:44 am »
Dent looks plus ungood.  I'd replace it for peace of mind if nothing else.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:46:23 am »
Its probably double layered there with a gap in between, ie rolled over. The bead likely contacts inner surface, not that one.. looks like it was as terry said..shot at... :o
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 10:08:21 am »
I would have no problem riding on that rim.  Although it would bug the crap out of me every time I saw it!

Offline steamnjn23

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 03:01:50 pm »
seen guys jump and race on worse looking motocross wheels, and they had the dent at the bead area.
1976 cb550

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 08:08:56 pm »
Thanks for the info as I had no idea if it affected the structural integrity...  I think in the long run, the cosmetic properties will bother me more than the structural.  If it was my everyday rider I would probably use it without blinking, but Its a long term build so I have no reason not to find a better rim.

As for being shot....   the bike did spend some time in the alley of my old trashy neighborhood  ::)  Maybe it was an innocent bystander of a drive-by  ;)

Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:44:03 am »
Thanks for the info as I had no idea if it affected the structural integrity...  I think in the long run, the cosmetic properties will bother me more than the structural.  If it was my everyday rider I would probably use it without blinking, but Its a long term build so I have no reason not to find a better rim.

As for being shot....   the bike did spend some time in the alley of my old trashy neighborhood  ::)  Maybe it was an innocent bystander of a drive-by  ;)

Joe

I reckon it mate have mate, it might just be the light, but I can almost see a shiny copper colored trench in the centre of the ding, I wouldn't be surprised at all if your bike hasn't been on the receiving end of a bullet! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)