Author Topic: Now THIS is a motorcycle stash...  (Read 32341 times)

douft750

Re: Now THIS is a motorcycle stash...
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 03:42:28 am »
thats just amazing !!

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
  • There aint no pickle like a super pickle...
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 08:33:04 am »
That's motorcycle genocide.
1976 CB750K - Cafe Project...taking forever
1984 Honda MB-5 - MB-8 conversion in process
2001 Ducati 748 - Built 996 motor sleeper

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 09:05:11 am »
Wow. that's were motorcycles go to die, I guess.
MickeyX and I saw a 'stash' like that here in Oregon... but it rains in oregon. :( Rat nests in frames that had rusted so badly there were holes in them, motors opened up and left to seize in the elements, tanks removed from bikes and left open and empty, gas-cap up to catch the rain and rust through... almost a full acre of parts rotting in the sun and not one had anything good enough to scavenge. :( 

If anyone from OR wants to see it it's off hwy 23 I think?  The one that goes through woodburn and up to Bend from I-5.  Just a little dumpy shop off to the right, with a fenced in area full of rotten wreckage.  The smell of dead-mouse is kinda strong here and there so I guess they eventually die in the frames etc. :P
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:07:55 am by Kit »
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 09:20:19 am »
When I say helped clean out.. that is 8-12 truckloads of Cherry picked parts we wanted.. most of the Honda 750 sohc stuff, and a bunch of Kawi 60/750 stuff, and some oddball pieces that caught our eye..

It got discouraging seeing Honda 4s going in the dumpsters, and I mean more than a few

It was 2 acres of bike parts, lods of that got scrapped.. he kept 3 semi loads of stuff, went to Saskatchewan and started up again.. I think..

Some stuff was still relatively high priced, but it would depend on the day or how he felt.. he knew what was sought after, said he used to get 800 bux for 77/78 F motors

At times and depending how he felt, he would sell wheels cheap, IF they had tires on them.. Scrap dealers dont want wheels with rubber on them.. One day it was 20 for 100.00.. :o, but he later suckered us.. he said make it 25.. :o

So anyway, we can afford to break cases and not get bent outa shape over it.. We gotprobaly 25 750 motors between us, probably 20 have good cases.. but we already had 1/2 of them before we got that stuff..

Anyway, still got a few 78 F motors here, and parts.. 500 bux for both motors, frame wheels.. no body parts..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 10:04:13 am »
50 grand to buy in to that business?  Sounds like a good opportunity to me.  I wonder how the other owner's health is, and what the buy for the other half of the business would be while he's still alive? 
-Alan

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 10:33:44 am »
There was a time not that long ago, like like early nineties that a lot of this stuff was not worth much, in fact it is worth more now than it has been for a long time.

There will always be bikes left behind, abandoned.. They used to be almost worthless, lately folks actually realize there may be value to them..

You guys are seeing the cream in the salvage yard, 70 % of it is far lower value an SOHC  Honda parts.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 11:08:03 am »
Ok I am holding a lotto ticket in my hand, if I hit it.. I am going out there and buying them out lock stock and barrel. Then everyone here is invited to come down and take what you want or PM me to get it shipped to you free..

Ah.. Just a side note, I have never won any thing ever, let alone the lotto! ;)
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 02:31:19 pm »
about half the stuff at the local yard...

How much SOHC4 stuff can you spot?

excuse me while i change my shorts.  :o

it is a bit sad... yet strangely...  titillating.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 02:37:23 pm »
Some pretty incredible stuff there.
How the heck did he know what he had/has?
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline 1080

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 04:59:36 pm »
  My brother with 754 with one of the truck loads.

It was fun, but lots of it is gone forever. At least it was ReCycled. ;D

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 10:01:06 am »
That is like a motorcycle hell....may we be the angels that pluck their tattered bodies from the tortured land of rotting dreams. 
I would love to get myself in there, after dark with a flashlight and socket set...ahah jokes.
So Cool man!  There's nothing like that around here....not even close.

Offline le_sterls

• Comic book
  • Enthusiast
  • Well than...
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 10:04:53 am »
 :o I would have a field day there....
That's what I'd like to hear.
'77 CB550k - running... For now...

Offline donny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 01:26:22 pm »
 looks like the salvage outside the twin cities, Jordan MN.  They moved recently, and used forklifts and dumped the bikes and parts kinda in a Honda pile, a Yammie pile, etc.  They sit outside in MN winters so the condition of everything is not good.

Don't expect anything cheep, a set of carbs starts at $150, seats (bad condition) $50+.

I would like to pick up stuff in a pile of fenders off of a whatever, but even they are pricey.
2007 Husqvarna self propelled lawn mower    1976F    1971K    1974K      1990 FXRS-SP

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 02:51:28 pm »
looks like the salvage outside the twin cities, Jordan MN.  They moved recently, and used forklifts and dumped the bikes and parts kinda in a Honda pile, a Yammie pile, etc.  They sit outside in MN winters so the condition of everything is not good.

Don't expect anything cheep, a set of carbs starts at $150, seats (bad condition) $50+.

I would like to pick up stuff in a pile of fenders off of a whatever, but even they are pricey.
I don't understand that, unless people are actually paying that for stuff.. Seems such a waste..
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

MötleyRöx

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 02:55:04 pm »

I don't understand that, unless people are actually paying that for stuff.. Seems such a waste..

I've walked out, pissed off, of many a junkyard for those very reasons.  Key words... Junk Yard.

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 02:57:15 pm »
Yeah I've had the same problem. Used to live out in Western NY and there was a large car/bike yard. I wanted a few FZ750 parts and random other stuff, things that were just sitting there rotting. The guy wanted more money than that stuff was worth...to ANYONE. I walked away pissed off, place shut down 6 months later and EVERYTHING was scrapped. What a waste.

MötleyRöx

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 03:01:16 pm »
By the way... that place is a bonafide toxic waste zone.

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 03:19:01 pm »
Yeah I've had the same problem. Used to live out in Western NY and there was a large car/bike yard. I wanted a few FZ750 parts and random other stuff, things that were just sitting there rotting. The guy wanted more money than that stuff was worth...to ANYONE. I walked away pissed off, place shut down 6 months later and EVERYTHING was scrapped. What a waste.

Oh man...   :'(

That ruined my day.  Really.
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 08:24:16 pm »
ebay probably changed pricing a bit..

I cant help but think sometimes the owners enjoy haggling.

I guess if you didnt need something for your bike you wouldnt be there..

Its nice to say, parts should be reasonable, but you cant stay in business without making a profit..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline vanillagorilla

• When did I become a
  • Hot Shot
    • The ole Facebook Profile...
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 08:50:15 pm »
Is that Bob's in Phx??? I thought it had closed... They aren't the most friendly people to deal with. Still, if I had the cash, I would be making multiple trips there with a BIG freakin truck.
1978 CB750K 1976 Z1 2 Trail 90s

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2009, 09:11:01 pm »
I'm all for bartering a little over prices, but there has to be some give. I'm not gonna lowball, but if he says 250 for a set of carbs on an FZ750 that has been sitting with no tank on it for who knows how long i'm gonna offer less than that...then when he says it's 250 or no carbs, then i try a few other parts to barter over. Finally I say...how much would you want for the bike as it sits? If i'm doing the math right that 17 year old bike(at the time) in pieces is worth 7k. He didn't like that...so I left lol.

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 07:32:49 am »
there is a great place like this in Raeford, NC.  corner of hiway 211 and plank rd right outside of Ft. Bragg.  Tons of stuff makes you want to cry.....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2009, 07:54:27 am »
Colin, I know that is the other end.
 Best case scenario, is you build a working relationship wwith the owner.
 You could try suggesting he put the parts on ebay, and if you win, you save shipping.. that way he is neither is leaving money on the table..
dodogas99@gmail.com

yozzie

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2009, 01:13:17 pm »
That seems to be the way it is everywhere.  Greed.  I am always on the lookout for another bike project, and when you find a bike that is rotting away in a barn, and it needs EVERYTHING done to it, the owner has visions of dollar signs rolling in his eyeballs.  Can't figure it out.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 04:17:19 pm »

I guess if you didnt need something for your bike you wouldnt be there..

Its nice to say, parts should be reasonable, but you cant stay in business without making a profit..
agreed, however there is profit and there is gouging. Most times its the later, however most will haggle, its the ones that think they
can charge what ever they want and you will eventually pay it that bother me. Well any way its a heck of a stash...
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  |