Author Topic: cb550 Drag Bars, what M/C do I use?  (Read 3487 times)

Offline shizzomynizzo

• Hot Shot
  • It's 5 o'clock somewhere
cb550 Drag Bars, what M/C do I use?
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:25:57 pm »
Hey everyone,

I bought Drag Bars for my 74 550 and I know I am going to run into problems with the master cylinder hitting the tank and tach. In addition to the bars I have a 750 tank, 2 gallons larger, and I'm sure there is going to be more of a problem. I don't want, or have the ability, to buy a few m/c and see which fits the best.

Has anyone put drag bars on a 550 and replaced the m/c with one off another bike?

Have any pics?

What bike was it off?

Thanks
1974 CB550
1985 XLX Last of the IH
2001 Street Glide

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: cb550 Drag Bars, what M/C do I use?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:59:33 pm »

Has anyone put drag bars on a 550 and replaced the m/c with one off another bike?

I haven't, but I do have drag bars on my 550 with the stock master cylinder.  It takes a little work, but it does fit. 

Offline shizzomynizzo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:48:09 pm »

I haven't, but I do have drag bars on my 550 with the stock master cylinder.  It takes a little work, but it does fit. 

Ok, I did see a few people managed to get this done, but they said they offset the handlebars to the right?

Did you have to do this?
1974 CB550
1985 XLX Last of the IH
2001 Street Glide

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:26:36 pm »
Nope.  You just have to get creative with the angle of the banjo bolt and brake line.  It was a bit of a pain getting it all just right, but it fits with no handlebar offset and the end of the throttle tube is flush with the end of the handlebar.  

I basically had all handlebar and master cylinder clamp bolts loose enough to move but tight enough to stay where I put them.  Same with the banjo bolt.  Then just wiggle everything around until it all fits up.  The banjo bolt will end up sitting snugly between the bottom of the tach and the handlebar mount.  

If you do a search in the tech forum for something along the lines of "550 drag bars master cylinder", you should be able to find a thread where I posted a picture or two of how it's mounted.  I'd post it again, but I'm on a break at work and don't have any pictures here.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:28:27 pm by Gordon »

Offline Aaron Richard

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 CB550 cafe
    • shop
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:42:10 pm »
+1 ;)
had them on mine for a little while till I changed to super bike bars. Like he said, you have to just be patient and find the sweet spot for the brake line to the m/c.

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 06:13:20 pm »
2inch risers found on ebay work well.  a period mod used on honda gl's, they turn up once in a while.  can post pics if you'd like,
bobp
searching for a dr350se

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 08:18:32 pm »
Also, don't forget to bleed the brake after you're done.  Opening up the banjo bolt will introduce air into the system. 

Offline shizzomynizzo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:27:27 pm »
Nope.  You just have to get creative with the angle of the banjo bolt and brake line.  It was a bit of a pain getting it all just right, but it fits with no handlebar offset and the end of the throttle tube is flush with the end of the handlebar.  

I basically had all handlebar and master cylinder clamp bolts loose enough to move but tight enough to stay where I put them.  Same with the banjo bolt.  Then just wiggle everything around until it all fits up.  The banjo bolt will end up sitting snugly between the bottom of the tach and the handlebar mount.  

If you do a search in the tech forum for something along the lines of "550 drag bars master cylinder", you should be able to find a thread where I posted a picture or two of how it's mounted.  I'd post it again, but I'm on a break at work and don't have any pictures here.

Thanks again, I will take a look for the pics

2inch risers found on ebay work well.  a period mod used on honda gl's, they turn up once in a while.  can post pics if you'd like,
bobp

I saw this as an option, but have not seen any pics. I would like to see a couple if you have them.

Thanks

Also, don't forget to bleed the brake after you're done.  Opening up the banjo bolt will introduce air into the system. 

Yeah, I am rebuilding the caliper, already got new ss lines from pampadori, so a bleed was already inevitable. I am getting the rotor drilled too, so I can't wait to see how much better my stopping power is going to be when I'm finished!

I am going to just keep the stock m/c since you all are saying it will work. I'd rather have a stock part than an aftermarket part.

1974 CB550
1985 XLX Last of the IH
2001 Street Glide

Offline Queeg

• insane fuel junkie
  • Enthusiast
  • OY! with the poodles allready!
    • Queegs Problems
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:29:53 pm »
I put drag bars on one of my 550's . I ended making a new bracket for my tach/speedo and a new led light panel!
I can't post pics cause I'm on my phone but ill try to get some up later!
guess who?

Offline Aaron Richard

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 CB550 cafe
    • shop
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 05:56:41 am »
if you go to my website, under bikes, my 550 is there with the drag bars on it.

Ryan 550k

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 06:37:15 am »
I put drag bars on one of my 550's . I ended making a new bracket for my tach/speedo and a new led light panel!
I can't post pics cause I'm on my phone but ill try to get some up later!

Oooh, I'd like to see that!

Additionally,
shizz, a buddy of mine, Borkunit on SOHC forum, riged something on his 750 that caused his drag bars to stop hitting his tank.  I can't remember exactly what it was, forgive me, but it seemed like a great idea and I was planning on using it when I put drag's on my 550.  You may want to PM him and ask.