Author Topic: Engine stand variation  (Read 4938 times)

Offline jwitt

Engine stand variation
« on: December 14, 2009, 04:45:48 am »
What I did was put two stands together (10 and 15 dollars at a fleamarket), didn't even have to drill a hole. In the front stand I have a section of 2" pvc with a piece of angle iron attached. After I remove the top end of the engine I can rotate it upside down slide the pvc in until the angle iron is under the front motor mount. Then I can release my rear bottom engine mount and the front part of the case rests on the angle. I am then able to remove the covers, split the case and do what ever I need to do. Much easier then wrestling it around on the floor or on a bench. If I were going to split the case with the top end intact I might go to a metal pipe but so far no problem.
Also in the pics is my Wheelchair lift, also a fleamarket find. It's compact, easy to use and is rated for 450 lbs.

Check out the weld on the filter mount, I've had this engine about five years but scared to run it.

Jim
75 CB750K
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
2 Mini Bikes

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
Re: Engine stand variation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 04:32:05 am »

Decent setup AND, it works! That's the main thing, right? 8) ;)   Interesting to see diffferent ways that folks tackle this. ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
Re: Engine stand variation
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:26:04 pm »
Ive got the same lift in my shop.  Got mine off of craigslist for free.
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey