Author Topic: Newbie with newb questions  (Read 2479 times)

Offline crkhobbit

Newbie with newb questions
« on: December 08, 2009, 08:18:41 am »
Hi all,

I finally got my first motorcycle home last night.  She's a 1976 Honda CB550.  I'm stoked!  I got it for 600 - I feel like that's an awesome price compared to what I've been seeing on ebay and craigslist for the last month or so that I've been watching.  Here's a short video:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVf-UsISjU[/youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVf-UsISjU

Anyway, I had a couple of questions that are probably basic knowledge but I haven't really been able to find definitive answers to anywhere.

- Turns signals do not flash, they just stay lit until you turn them off.  Both sides do it.  I think I remember hearing somewhere that that means that a relay needs to be replaced?  All bulbs are working.
 - It looks like some water collected under it over night.  It could be something else, but it didn't look like oil.  You can see it on the ground in the latter half of the video.  Should I be concerned or is it probably some rain water that had collected?  I had a tarp over it last night, but it only covered about halfway down the sides. PO kept it in a garage.
 - Little puff of white smoke when she fires up - that's nothing right?
 - The headlight bucket has a LCD digital odometer (the crystal is busted though).  Is that stock?

I don't really have any plans for it right now, other than to finish the title, registration, insurance, get my license and ride the dickens out of it next year.  I was mostly looking for an old bike to chop, but it appears to be in such good shape that I don't want to mess with it.

Any other information/suggestions or whatever is welcome.  Thanks for looking!

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
Re: Newbie with newb questions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:13:58 am »
Back in the olden days, Jap bikes went for around a buck a cc. Sounds like you're in the ballpark there.

Blinkers - try an electronic flasher. if a really good charge on the batery doesn't make 'em blink.

Rain puddle - park in garage.

Little puff on startup - not a big problem.

These bikes had LCD nothing - that odometer ain't stock.

........  I was mostly looking for an old bike to chop, but it appears to be in such good shape that I don't want to mess with it.

Cool.

Welcome.

Happy trails.

1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline my78k

• I am Meat-O of the Hungry Horses MC
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:22:07 am »
Turn signals - might need to replace the relay but not necessarily. Is the battery fully charged? Does the condition change when the bike is revved? These relays need to heat up to work so if not enough juice is flowing through them they won't flash

Puddle - as long as it isn't gas from stuck floats or anything then it certainly isn't bike related

White smoke - as long as it is minor then don't worry about it

A digital odometer??? Are you sure you don't mean tachometer?  Odd that it would have an analog speedo but a digital odometer but either way yeah it definitely isn't stock

Dennis

Offline Fritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:29:06 am »
- Turns signals do not flash, they just stay lit until you turn them off.  Both sides do it.  I think I remember hearing somewhere that that means that a relay needs to be replaced?  All bulbs are working.

As said before, charge the battery. If it's not working with a fully charged battery, change relay and/or battery.

- It looks like some water collected under it over night.  It could be something else, but it didn't look like oil.

Water condenses in the muffler when the bike is run only for a short time. My muffler (original 550F HM390) has a hole on the down tube end through which the water drips on the floor. Especially if it's cold outside and damp.
A boiling battery will also result in a small puddle....

Nothing to worry about.

- The headlight bucket has a LCD digital odometer (the crystal is busted though).  Is that stock?

Rip it out :)

I was mostly looking for an old bike to chop, but it appears to be in such good shape that I don't want to mess with it.

That's nice. Your bike sounds like it's running well, so why rip it apart?

Have fun!
1976 CB550F

Offline crkhobbit

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:29:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I wish I had a picture of the weird odometer, but it started raining.  The stock analog speedo and tach are there, so it definitely looks out of place.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:46:51 pm »
Yea I agree. Looks like (I could be wrong) you have a 16" Harley rim on the back, sure does not look stock to me. Also looks like you may have some shorty shocks on that bike also, since the rear fender is not off the tire far. Non of that is a bad thing, I mean the whole setup looks very good! You got a great price compared to what I have been seeing. I like the bags, did not know anyone made em that size, I may have to look for them now.. ;)

Nice work, keep us posted. Thanks for the video.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline crkhobbit

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:20:54 am »
The saddle bags are Willie and Max, http://www.willieandmax.com/categories/saddlebags/.  They don't have a model name on them that I can find, but I think they are their "compact" size, though I don't see them in anything other than a slant version and these don't appear to be slanted, so they may not make them exactly like that anymore.

I didn't notice about the rear wheel, but I think you're right - it's a smaller size and the rim is stepped differently.  Looks a lot like the one on this bike from http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/cb750-gallery.php

I don't about the rear shocks.  It does seem to sit lower but they could be just worn out.  I haven't had a chance to ride it yet because I'm still working on getting it legal.  Might have it ready by today though :D

Offline crkhobbit

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:07:36 am »
I rode it for the first time today.  Actually my first time riding a motorcycle ever - had four-wheelers when I was a kid though.  OMG I'm stoked - this thing is a BLAST!  It pulls hard and wants to GO!  I only took it up to about 50 because of the speed limit and because my confidence isn't up there yet, but I could tell it wanted a lot more.

The blinkers never did work right.  The light will come on and stay on for several seconds, then blink off and come right back on for several more seconds.  I had the battery on a tender for 20+ hours and the engine was nice and warmed up, but I only rode it for a few miles.

The clutch is a bit far out for my not-so-large hands and made me a little sore, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Also would be nice if I could lower the whole bike another inch or two.

I'm thinking of having these gauge faces printed up...

Offline my78k

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:34:06 am »
Let me put on my "old fart" hat for a sec...

You've never ridden a motorcycle and chose your first time to go 50MPH on a 33 year old bike that cost you $600???? Did you at least have full protection including armor?

I'm really not trying to be a dick here I swear! But a couple of things are screaming out at me. First and foremost is to take the MSF course. Secondly thooroughly check out the 550 before doing any reasonable speed at all. 99% of our bikes have had previous owners and probably 99% of those bikes had stuff that the previous owner did that was unsafe! I would check EVERY fastener and give the tires a real close look before going out again.

like I said I am not trying to discourage you in any way but alot can go wrong on a well maintained bike with a very experienced rider. Just trying to ensure you get to be an old fart too (and I am only 34!!)  ;)

Dennis

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 09:52:58 am »
Let me put on my "old fart" hat for a sec...

You've never ridden a motorcycle and chose your first time to go 50MPH on a 33 year old bike that cost you $600???? Did you at least have full protection including armor?

I'm really not trying to be a dick here I swear! But a couple of things are screaming out at me. First and foremost is to take the MSF course. Secondly thooroughly check out the 550 before doing any reasonable speed at all. 99% of our bikes have had previous owners and probably 99% of those bikes had stuff that the previous owner did that was unsafe! I would check EVERY fastener and give the tires a real close look before going out again.

like I said I am not trying to discourage you in any way but alot can go wrong on a well maintained bike with a very experienced rider. Just trying to ensure you get to be an old fart too (and I am only 34!!)  ;)

Dennis
Gotta agree with that. Almost without exception, these bike deals come with tires that appear to have good tread, but the carcasses are too old to be safe. 6 years is the consensus. I was just on the Reg Pridmore CLASS site this AM. They say 5 years.

The tire is marked on its side with a "DOT" code. Here's an explanation of how to read the codes.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11
The first is for tires after 2000. The second for tires before 2000. But if you don't fit the "after 2000" instructions, why bother with the before? Budget for some tires.

Hopefully you've got good ones already, but doubtful.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline crkhobbit

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:05:24 am »
While I appreciate the concern for my safety, it's unwarranted and based on several different assumptions, all of which happen to be wrong.

I simply wanted to share the excitement that I have for the bike.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 10:08:04 am »
While I appreciate the concern for my safety, it's unwarranted and based on several different assumptions, all of which happen to be wrong.

I think much of the concern was based on this being your first time on a motorcycle, because you said it was.  Is that wrong?

Offline crkhobbit

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 10:21:36 am »
That part wasn't an assumption.  The implication was that I just hopped on it and zoomed up to 50 without having the bike checked or making any attempt to learn safety.

The reality is that the bike is in good shape, the tires too.  I went sub-15 MPH for about an hour before going above that at all, and when I finally did get up to 50, it was for about 3 seconds.  I have professional driver and safety training in various types of motor vehicle operation, off and on road, and literally millions of miles behind me, accident free.  I rode my first quad in 1984 before I could even pull-start it.  This isn't my first machine and I'm not some 17 year old punk who thinks who knows everything.

In all honesty I felt like I'm being called an idiot for talking about riding a motorcycle on a motorcycle forum.  I'm not going to go faster than I feel I can handle the bike, or faster than the bike can safely go.  The bike is ready for a lot more, I'm not, that's why it was only about three seconds.

Offline my78k

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 10:22:16 am »
You are right I did make some assumptions. I have seen many different $600 bikes over the years and while I have never seen one 1 that "I" would take out immediately at hwy speeds I am gald to hear that this isn't the case here. You must have gotten a heck of a deal from a guy who maintained his bike meticulously.

I assure you that I was not trying to dissuade you from enjoying riding or the first experience at all. Quite the opposite in fact...

As far as experience goes I have been riding since I was a kid (dirt bikes) and street riding for only a few years now so still very much consider my self to be far from experienced.

Dennis

As for my full protection and armor comment I won't retract it since I feel that EVERY rider on EVERY bike should practice it.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 10:29:52 am »
Yeah, if you don't have a receipt of when those tires were put on or there is no manufacture date code you have no idea how old they are. And if they have any dry cracking on the sidewalls or anywhere else those are unsafe at any speed. If your tires met any of those conditions and you don't know how old they are that bike is not roadworthy 5 years is probably a safe date to ditch old tires, these are not car tires- you will have to replace those tires before you ride again.

Looks like a good score otherwise though, good luck with it.

"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 10:35:06 am »
I don't think anyone is calling you an idiot, we are just concerned for your safety.
And you appear to be new to the site, we do not have an idea of your ability or knowledge of motorcycles yet.

You would be surprised how many yahoos just jump on a bike that is not roadworthy without a whole lot of experience on motorcycles and wonder why they get in wrecks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:37:40 am by Dukiedook »
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline crkhobbit

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 10:44:08 am »
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I felt that I scored a great deal after watching cl and ebay for a couple of months.  It's hard to even find a bike that runs with a title for $600, so I've pretty much assumed that something is wrong with the bike, but we haven't found anything yet besides really minor things.  Turns out that the DMV says the current retail value of the bike based on model and year is $650, so I'm guessing that's where the PO got his price.

The tires are a few years old, but in great shape.  They'll probably be the first purchase I make for the bike unless I find something that needs to be fixed.

I wouldn't be surprised at the yahoos - I've known plenty of them myself and I tend to try to disassociate myself from them.  That's probably why it got to me, I don't want to be lumped in with some of the guys I've known.

Offline my78k

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 11:20:51 am »
Another suggestion (in addition to the fasteners is give the brakes a thorough look over. These bikes are not known for great stopping power to begin with (still better than most cages though) but with old brake fluid and/or old brake lines the performance can be very lacking. Also while tires are very important the spokes can be just much of an issue if thay have become loose so may not hurt to go over them with a spoke wrench as well.

When you had it inspected/safetied did the mechanic find anything wrong? Or did you do the DMV part first? (up here it is far easier to do the inspection before changing owner ship over since once the ownership is changed they only give you 6 days to get the safety (and any deficiencies) sorted out)

Dennis

Offline crkhobbit

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 12:50:36 pm »
I had the title transferred first, which requires an inspection but all they check for is VIN and mileage.  A couple days later, I had it registered which apparently did not require any inspection.  So it was kind of separate just for my own benefit.

We've only found minor, normal things so far that need attention, like a small exhaust leak, but ideally I'll have the carbs rebuilt and the motor taken out and gone over once I get the moolah.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 01:39:20 pm »
Anyway, I had a couple of questions that are probably basic knowledge but I haven't really been able to find definitive answers to anywhere.

Could be that the wrong bulbs are installed.  They should be 1034 front and 1073 rear.  Auto stores usually only stock 1157 and 1156, which fit, but are higher wattage the stock flasher unit doesn't like.
Or, the flasher unit may have gone bad.
Or, your battery voltage is too low on charge voltage to make the flasher do it's job.

Be aware that the alternator doesn't make enough juice to charge the battery at idle RPM.  In fact, the bike uses more than the alternator can make at idle, so the battery depletes at low RPM, making the battery voltage lower.

- It looks like some water collected under it over night.  It could be something else, but it didn't look like oil.  You can see it on the ground in the latter half of the video.  Should I be concerned or is it probably some rain water that had collected?  I had a tarp over it last night, but it only covered about halfway down the sides.
Learn the routine of turning off the gas valve each time you stop the engine.
If all the water evaporated everywhere but under the bike, then it is likely gas overflow from overfilling the carbs.  Not a big deal.  Engine run vibration usually makes carb overflow issues with clean carbs a non-issue.

I see a little blue tinge to the smoke indicating oil.
 Could be valve guide seals weeping a bit.  But, if there is no oil level issues with riding, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

No

I was mostly looking for an old bike to chop, but it appears to be in such good shape that I don't want to mess with it.
Look like A nice bike with a lot of fun left in it.

We've only found minor, normal things so far that need attention, like a small exhaust leak, but ideally I'll have the carbs rebuilt and the motor taken out and gone over once I get the moolah.

I don't understand "fixing" a motor that runs well.  Is the inside of the tank clean?  That's the first step for clean carbs.  Running clean fuel through the carbs will clean them/ keep them clean, so long as it is running properly.   I dare say the carbs never need cleaning if they wer constantly run with clean fuel.

What do you expect to fix inside the motor?

One thing that should be done and is often overlooked is the engine breather filter at the bottom of the air filter box.  And, of course a new air filter wouldn't hurt.  If you don't know the tune up history, then establish a baseline by doing a complete one now.
The other thing to address would be the fuse box clips, make them bright and shiny where contact is made, and be sure they make firm contact to the fuses.  Or, wait 'til they heat up and melt the plastic or the fuse ends while you are out cruising.  I prefer to do a little PM than roadside fixes.

Then just ride and enjoy the bike and the good deal you made.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline crkhobbit

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 01:56:26 pm »
Lots of good info, thanks!  A couple of little things to add to my to-do list.

The oil seems to be fine so far.  The head gasket appears dark, but I've been told that that is fairly common on these bikes and not to worry about it.  It barely produces any smoke at all after the puff at startup.  I have been turning the gas off at the petcock every time, on the advice of a friend.  Inside of the tank looks great.

Fixing the motor - I don't know what I would expect to fix.  I think I'm still hung up on the price of the bike and expecting there to be something major wrong with it.  I don't have any indication that there is though, so I guess I'll stop worrying until I have a reason to :)