Author Topic: Frame mod cb 750  (Read 75654 times)

Offline mysta2

Re: Frame mod cb 750
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2013, 07:32:46 pm »
I just did this a couple of weeks ago so I figured my two cents might be worthwhile

I've never really understood the purpose of the nut on Gordon's kit, and if you're paying someone for machining, omitting that will save a good chunk of change. I cut mine on our lathe and 4axis mill but someone who really knows what they're doing could probably knock it out on a Bridgeport in 2 or 3 hours. I also plan on bolting some plates behind the cross brace, but haven't gotten to that yet.

I've already had the head off the bike three times since I built the frame kit, so I can promise you that it works.

There's a little more info on my blog if you're interested www.dropbars.com

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2013, 07:58:11 pm »
I just did this a couple of weeks ago so I figured my two cents might be worthwhile

I've never really understood the purpose of the nut on Gordon's kit, and if you're paying someone for machining, omitting that will save a good chunk of change. I cut mine on our lathe and 4axis mill but someone who really knows what they're doing could probably knock it out on a Bridgeport in 2 or 3 hours. I also plan on bolting some plates behind the cross brace, but haven't gotten to that yet.

I've already had the head off the bike three times since I built the frame kit, so I can promise you that it works.

There's a little more info on my blog if you're interested www.dropbars.com

You're a damn cock tease! I was hoping you'd crank out a few kits!
74 cb550
I now have Beastie Boys "Sabotage" stuck in my head after seeing your avatar.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2013, 08:05:20 pm »
I think the nut is to fine tune the clearance between the slug and the end of the frame cut.  Did you weld your slug in place or do they float? Pressed into the frame cuts?
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2013, 09:19:26 pm »
 Hey at least you got the machining done properly, not like the flaw on the Gordon kit.
 The part that threaded in on some kits, I suspect may not have been as rigid as the other joints.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline mysta2

« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2013, 05:09:19 am »
I bolted the whole thing together and welded all the slugs in place. There should be no need for fine tuning if you bolt it all together before tacking it. I've read several explinations by Gordon to explain that front nut and it sounded like it had more to do with not being able to see the bolt on pieces when the tank's on (maintain stock appearance)

But I still don't understand how that would work as you'd be able to see at least the nut (which is absolutely not to say that I am disparaging his kit in any way, it's very well crafted and thought out, I would have been happy to buy one and put it on his bike had I the opportunity)

I just put the bolt on slug as far forward as possible because I don't care about it showing. This bike is far from a restoration, and I'm proud of my fabrication.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2013, 11:23:41 pm »
Nice! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline taggat

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2013, 07:43:23 am »
What do you guys think about ditching the bottom triple rails and just making a gusset plate on each end?
66 TR650, 75 cb750ss, 78 XS650S, 12 Triumph Speedmaster
Ton-Up Indianapolis!
There's just something about twins....
Keep your wheel's between the ditches and the smokies off your britches!
I like my women like my motorcycle's, fast, dirty and cheap.
Bikes for sale, 75 cb750ss, 75 xs650, 76 cb360, 78 cb750ss, 78 xs650, 78 cb550, 81 cb450, 81 xs400

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2013, 02:19:16 pm »
What do you guys think about ditching the bottom triple rails and just making a gusset plate on each end?

Not a good idea mate, unless you replace the top tube with something beefier than what's there now. The factory frame is pretty rigid in standard form, but if you remove those support rails you're weakening the design significantly. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2013, 02:44:12 pm »
With any of the kits I don't understand why the frame tubes are discarded in favor of new tubes.  It would seem more economical to reuse the cut pieces since they are already tied together at the bottom anyway.  No need to add new bracing.  Just connect the upper triangles back together using a flat plate and some bolts and nuts.  The sleeve kits like Carpy and Cycle X sell can be made much cheaper.  Get a section of steel tubing with an id of 1" and reuse the cut sections of frame.  Drill holes and bolt together. 

Scott

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2013, 03:04:54 pm »
G'Day Scott, the "Gordon Kits" do just that, they just include the inner slugs and the flat plates to tie the braces back together, and it's up to the installer to ensure that he "measures twice and cuts once".

Personally I think that the kits with sliding tubes are rubbish, but the gordon kits (and better still, the "Mysta 2" kit) are a much better answer, maintaining the rigidity and integrity of the original design. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2013, 05:55:04 pm »
So who's got one of these laying around they want to sell?
74 cb550

Offline Phoenix

• Hot Shot
  • 4 wheels move the body. 2 wheels move the soul
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2013, 08:08:10 pm »

Given:
    Pulling the engine is a pain in the *ss
    "Gordon" needs the engine pulled and joints welded
    "Gordon" system is expensive but properly addresses the situation
    "sliders" are too tight and skin paint off
    Hednut, 754 and Kraut Killer look like they can make ANYTHING     
             and appear to be interested
I would hope we could come up with a "Gordon" type and one that involves keeping the bars that are cut out and providing the "sliders"  that would properly fit, to be bolted on.  Would you agree that would give us the best weld and no-weld products.                                                                                                           
Ed Spengeman
Indy
1971 CB750K1 (Stock)
1973 CB350 Twin  (Gone)

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2013, 08:45:52 pm »

Given:
    Pulling the engine is a pain in the *ss
    "Gordon" needs the engine pulled and joints welded
    "Gordon" system is expensive but properly addresses the situation
    "sliders" are too tight and skin paint off
    Hednut, 754 and Kraut Killer look like they can make ANYTHING     
             and appear to be interested
I would hope we could come up with a "Gordon" type and one that involves keeping the bars that are cut out and providing the "sliders"  that would properly fit, to be bolted on.  Would you agree that would give us the best weld and no-weld products.                                                                                                           

Don't say I can make anything, I effed up making toast this morning.
74 cb550

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2013, 12:18:22 am »
Actually you don't need to pull the engine to install the Gordon kit, there was a post somewhere here from someone who carefully installed it with their engine in place, but sure, it'd be much easier with the engine out.

There are a lot of guys here who like the Gordon kit but aren't keen on welding it in, so I reckon a kit that allowed you to tap the joints in with a hammer then drill a hole thru the frame and the "slug" end of the joint to bolt the items together would be "do-able"? Of course, drilling thru an inch of solid steel might be a PITA, so maybe machining the joints from 6061 Aircraft grade aluminum might be a better idea?

It might not be quite as good as the Gordon kit or the Mysta 2 kit, but stll much nicer engineering than the other crapola out there. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Rookster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2013, 07:03:35 am »
There are a lot of guys here who like the Gordon kit but aren't keen on welding it in, so I reckon a kit that allowed you to tap the joints in with a hammer then drill a hole thru the frame and the "slug" end of the joint to bolt the items together would be "do-able"? Of course, drilling thru an inch of solid steel might be a PITA, so maybe machining the joints from 6061 Aircraft grade aluminum might be a better idea?

Hi Terry,

This is the same as the sleeve kits but the sleeves run inside the frame tubes rather than outside. 

The sleeve kits like Ape, Carpy, and Cycle X sell aren't as bad as they first sound.  I have been doing some research into making my own version of this kit since this thread was brought back to life.  The fit between the sleeves and the frame tubes is what makes all the difference.  A loose interference fit of between .0012 and .0055 would provide quite enough stiffness to the original tubes.  The bolt that holds the sleeves in place is essentially window dressing as the interference fit is what is providing the strength.  Couple the sleeves with plates that reconnect the triangle and I think the original integrity of the frame would be pretty much preserved. 

A sloppy fit between the sleeves and the frame tubes would be like Terry says, junk.  If the bolts are the only thing holding the frame back together without either welding in the slugs or creating a nice tight sleeve, then it would be for looks only.

I would be interested in hearing from someone like Frank who has alot of machining experience about the sleeves and fit?

Scott

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2013, 07:25:08 am »
 I know a method that will be even stiffer will start on it soon.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2013, 08:48:42 am »
I know a method that will be even stiffer will start on it soon.

Frank, send me one with a set of front motor mounts  :-*
74 cb550

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2013, 09:10:10 am »
Let me get them done first.
dodogas99@gmail.com

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2013, 02:13:23 pm »

Hi Terry,

This is the same as the sleeve kits but the sleeves run inside the frame tubes rather than outside. 

The sleeve kits like Ape, Carpy, and Cycle X sell aren't as bad as they first sound.  I have been doing some research into making my own version of this kit since this thread was brought back to life.  The fit between the sleeves and the frame tubes is what makes all the difference.  A loose interference fit of between .0012 and .0055 would provide quite enough stiffness to the original tubes.  The bolt that holds the sleeves in place is essentially window dressing as the interference fit is what is providing the strength.  Couple the sleeves with plates that reconnect the triangle and I think the original integrity of the frame would be pretty much preserved. 

A sloppy fit between the sleeves and the frame tubes would be like Terry says, junk.  If the bolts are the only thing holding the frame back together without either welding in the slugs or creating a nice tight sleeve, then it would be for looks only.

I would be interested in hearing from someone like Frank who has alot of machining experience about the sleeves and fit?

Scott

Yeah mate, by the time I finished typing that post I'd just about talked myself out of it. I still think the sliding tubes are crap though, any slop, however small, weakens the integrity and rigidity of the frame.

What I'm thinking about now though, is a tight fitting clamp made from oversize tube split horizontally that clamps over the removable and fixed frame tube sections with a couple of bolts either side of the cuts, that would hold it a lot more rigidly.

Probably not as pretty as the Gordon kit or the Mysta 2 kit, but if you don't have access to a welder, probably the closest you'll get to original rigidity. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2013, 02:23:32 pm »
You got mail..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Phoenix

• Hot Shot
  • 4 wheels move the body. 2 wheels move the soul
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2013, 08:10:22 am »
Are we still alive here?
Ed Spengeman
Indy
1971 CB750K1 (Stock)
1973 CB350 Twin  (Gone)

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2013, 08:22:36 am »
Are we still alive here?

I just checked, I think so.

The problem is no one can make the kit for what it was originally sold at without taking a major loss or not charge labor (taking a loss). Unless someone out of the kindness of their heart wants to make these, we won't be seeing these any time soon.
74 cb550

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2013, 08:49:29 am »
I have that basic design on my bike but we machined a crown on one of the mating surfaces and a matching trough in the other. It truely locks the pieces together when the bolts are tightened. We also drilled 2 holes in the frame so a couple of blind welds could be added (about 3/4" below the cut) besides the welding where the adapter meets the frame.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2013, 09:05:41 am »
I have that basic design on my bike but we machined a crown on one of the mating surfaces and a matching trough in the other. It truely locks the pieces together when the bolts are tightened. We also drilled 2 holes in the frame so a couple of blind welds could be added (about 3/4" below the cut) besides the welding where the adapter meets the frame.

Got pics?

I had a reason to PM you a few days ago but forgot..
74 cb550

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2013, 06:55:16 am »

Got pics?

I had a reason to PM you a few days ago but forgot..
There may be some more sets at my friends shop....he made a few of them. I can't get there until early next week though.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"