Author Topic: Building an endurance engine  (Read 27052 times)

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
Re: Building an endurance engine
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2010, 05:59:57 pm »
Ok, BIG problem. This afternoon I went installing the tyres, but the guy at the shop wasn't able to install the 130 mm tyre I ordered. Turns out the rear rim (which is an aluminium cast, made in the '70 by OZ) is for a 500 four, not 750.
Now I put on a 3.50 tyre (110 mm), the original size for a 500, how about racing with it? Or is it too dangerous?

Not a real problem, certainly not in Adria which is quite a slow track. Actually it might good and help make the bike more flickable, seriously.

Wouldnt worry too much.

Regardless, next time remember that before ordering tires, you should check your rim widths  ;)

Last thing, (but might be too late) the Avon Racing AM23 130/650-18 "cantilever" is designed to work with narrow rims, even 2.15 accoridng to the specs. You might be in luck and find one to fit in Adria. It's expensive but it might be your only solution for a good rear tire on your narrow rim.

http://www.avonracing.com/club_page.aspx   

I know, but the guy that sold me the rims is a "good old trusted" friend who said they was for a 750 and I just didn't check. He's no more a "trusted" friend. Thanks for the advice, but I chose Heidenau to avoid the huge expense for the Avon.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I can go to bed and get rested for tomorrow, a lot to work still to do!

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2010, 07:44:24 pm »
Sadly I have to renounce to the race. We had serious problem with the brakes due to a stupid mistake I made during designing the mounts (I took the measure with old pads on, with new one the Honda disk won't fit). We work very hard (it's 4:43 am here) but at the end we had to give up for this time...

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »
 :-\  Sorry to hear about that....  But it's better to be ready than to perform half complete.....

Good luck with the bike...

Regards, Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:19 pm »
Riccardo came to say hello at Adria, was nice to see a member's face 1-on-1 for the first time after more than 3 years in SOHC4... even if it'd been even nicer if he had the bike ready.

There's always next time Ric  ;)

Report on the the race with pixies will follow

TG

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:49 am »
Riccardo came to say hello at Adria, was nice to see a member's face 1-on-1 for the first time after more than 3 years in SOHC4... even if it'd been even nicer if he had the bike ready.

There's always next time Ric  ;)

TG

Nice to meet you! How was your race?

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2010, 03:10:50 pm »
Hi everyone. Here's a pictures of me and the complete bike, taken at 4 a.m. the day of the Adria's race. Here it's the exact moments when we realized that the brakes didn't work, so no Adria race...

Now things are quite changed: no more alloy wheels but spokes wheels, original brake calipers and Avon tyres. I've fired up the engine three times, it runs very smooth and it revs really fast, even if I didn't do the setup yet (and I hope it wouldn't be too difficult!!!). Only one thing is keeping me away from a night without mechanical nightmares: there are 4 liters of oil in there (consider the oil radiator and about 2.20 meters of oil lines) and still the oil level in the oil tank barely touches the indicator. What that could be? I've checked the lines to and from the radiator and they aren't struck anywhere. What that can be? Bad oil pump? Simply add more oil?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:53 pm »
Ric, dose the oil level come up when the motor is running?
Sometimes the one way valve leaks and allows the oil to seep into the sump.
Bike looks great. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sam. :)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2010, 11:32:29 pm »

In a sohc? reminds me of my brit bikes  ;)

miss my G80S and model 18.....

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2010, 04:17:22 am »

yep, thank you Sam, you were right.
would this cause some damage while running after a proper warm up?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2010, 05:27:32 am »
Ric, it dose make me wonder about some of the oil leak issues some people have with the 750s.
I had read about leak back problems on here and on thinking back to when we were running the CR (in avatar) my rider would check the oil level when cold and more often than not, need to top it up only to find out that when warmed up, the level would be to high.
If we had meetings a week apart, the level would be OK, If maybe 4 to 6 weeks apart, the problem would be there again.
This might be happening to people that use them as their daily ride, they for some reason (weather) might not ride for a few weeks and when ready to ride again, find their oil low. They top it up and ride it daily again with to much oil and the pressure build up might cause the oil leaks associated with this motor.
I'm not that clued up on this motor as my current 750 is a wet sumped automatic, perhaps a more knowledgeable person might chip in.

C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:35 am »
Have you considered checking/replacing the oil leak stopper set up in the oil pump? This is what Sam is referring to as a one way valve I believe?? Weak spring, valve or seal maybe that may allow the oil to drain down from the oil tank when the bike is sitting.

David Silver Spares has the spring available and can get the valve from Honda. No luck on the seal. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:13:35 am by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2010, 09:12:32 am »
Last time I checked Jerry that rubber stopper seal was N/A.

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2010, 10:50:39 am »

There's always next time Ric  ;)

TG

What... I don't count, Yossef?  ;)
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline Howell

• Honda the power of dreams
  • Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2010, 12:27:45 pm »
Have you considered checking/replacing the oil leak stopper set up in the oil pump? This is what Sam is referring to as a one way valve I believe?? Weak spring, valve or seal maybe that may allow the oil to drain down from the oil tank when the bike is sitting.

David Silver Spares has the spring available and can get the valve from Honda. No luck on the seal. 

Indeed it's the one way valve , my K2 and F2 has the same .
But that's no problem when the bike is running the oil in the tank is on level.
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2010, 01:30:13 pm »
Ric, it dose make me wonder about some of the oil leak issues some people have with the 750s.
I had read about leak back problems on here and on thinking back to when we were running the CR (in avatar) my rider would check the oil level when cold and more often than not, need to top it up only to find out that when warmed up, the level would be to high.
If we had meetings a week apart, the level would be OK, If maybe 4 to 6 weeks apart, the problem would be there again.
This might be happening to people that use them as their daily ride, they for some reason (weather) might not ride for a few weeks and when ready to ride again, find their oil low. They top it up and ride it daily again with to much oil and the pressure build up might cause the oil leaks associated with this motor.
I'm not that clued up on this motor as my current 750 is a wet sumped automatic, perhaps a more knowledgeable person might chip in.

The amount of oil will not affect the oilpressure, this is purely done by the oilpump. Just make sure there is a sufficient amount of oil.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2010, 05:08:41 pm »

The amount of oil will not affect the oilpressure, this is purely done by the oilpump. Just make sure there is a sufficient amount of oil.

Rob

not so sure about, what about the pumping effect from the pistons movements?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2010, 05:48:24 pm »

Rob

Nope, Rob still correct. The pumping action of the pistos will do nothing to oil pressure. That area is the cavity of the engine which is essentially open to the atmosphere thru various breathers. With 2 going up offsetting 2 going down there is only the slightest bellows effect for the air, nothing for the oil.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2010, 10:42:47 pm »
They top it up and ride it daily again with to much oil and the pressure build up might cause the oil leaks associated with this motor.

Come on guys, read what I said, I said pressure not oil pressure.
We know that a pump will pump X amount of oil at a given engine RPM and the pumping action of the pistons rising and falling is self canceling.
If over filling a motor with oil dosen't matter, please tell me why engine manufacturers put a upper limit as well as a lower limit on the dip stick. Or is it me that's a dipstick, check it out here. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dipstick

Sam. ;)

C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2010, 12:45:57 am »
Hey Sam,

One big prob with dry sump engines, so with the seperate oiltank is lack of oil for the pump, hence the minimum amount. There is no max as long as you have a oiltank/system large enough. But then there is the issue of weight....bla,bla,bla.
My first homebuild oiltank carried more oil than the oem one, but it was as wide as the frame is. On long lefthanders taken at considerable speed and cranked over, there was no sufficient oilfeed to the pump, so trouble on the way. Luckily I always mount a pressure gauge on these engines and changed the oiltank design.
Have, personally, never had issues with pressure build up in the engine, but always made sure that are enough breathers. If on a oem engine the gearbox breather and the breather on the valvecover are not blocked there should not be a problem. Maybe on the 'older' K0-K2 with the small breather tube at the gearbox there could be a issue, hence the larger tubes on the later models.

Rob ;)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2010, 01:24:44 am »

TG

Of course you dont count, who do you think you are? ;)

ooops.... err.. yes, but it was dark and full of cigarettes smoke... couldnt see much :)

Coming back this summer?

TG

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2010, 07:15:37 am »

Rob

Nope, Rob still correct. The pumping action of the pistos will do nothing to oil pressure. That area is the cavity of the engine which is essentially open to the atmosphere thru various breathers. With 2 going up offsetting 2 going down there is only the slightest bellows effect for the air, nothing for the oil.

Ok, right, but what if we start to consider the pressure waves fronts from the pistons and they instant and local effects on air and oil inside the crankcase?

Just to do some brainstorming...

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2010, 07:43:06 am »
I thought you were the university student, we're just a load of thickies ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I'm a dipstick. :-\

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »

TG

Of course you dont count, who do you think you are? ;)

ooops.... err.. yes, but it was dark and full of cigarettes smoke... couldnt see much :)

Coming back this summer?

TG

Just teasing TG. I wish I was coming back this summer.. this working a regular job thing sucks.. I want to do the free beer/food/bed all for making some noise "job." Might come back this fall, but we also want to do SE asia/oz or south america.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:54:13 pm by paulages »
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2010, 11:19:25 am »
Hi everyone. This weekend is a racing weekend! Bike seems fine, today I went testing the engine, I told the guy not to go over 7000 rpm and the results was 60 hp at the rear wheel (@7000 rpm, of course). Carburation is still not perfect, need bigger main jet size (running on 140 now) but what I really need are a set of CR  ;D (the girl is hungry). Tomorrow we'll fix the last things, hope everything will work this time!

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2010, 11:24:18 am »
At least it is looking good! Keep up the spirit!
Good luck this weekend.

Ciao, Rob