Author Topic: 1977 CB550 K cafe racer build  (Read 230874 times)

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
Re: 1977 CB550 K cafe racer build
« Reply #675 on: May 14, 2010, 05:18:13 am »
Hey Joe,
 after re-jetting Hondaman recommends running D8E sparkplugs afterwards . As for fine tuning.. Well the Hondaman ignition kit seems to be a great way to do that. If during the off season or anytime you have the time a new cam would really wake her up..

Quote from: hondaman
Hop-ups: Add 4 teeth to the rear sprocket and get a cam. Don't get high lift, get longer duration - BUT: not a LOT more duration, because it is a small-bore engine. A little goes a long way. Adding 5 degrees of overlap and 10 degrees of duration should be your limit for non-racing driving: it will REALLY wake up the "mid-four". Don't bother with bigger carbs: port it in the head instead. The stock carbs can make a lot more HP than they do: make a "pocket" above the intake valve, then raise the exhaust ports about 2-3 mm and smooth 'em out. This will add up to 10 HP to this neat engine, which is a lot.

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #676 on: May 14, 2010, 06:23:30 am »
Thanks.....keep in mind, my bike is alot lighter than a stock 550 now.....she has already "woken up", even running crappy, the nose will come up if you wack the throttle at low RPM!!!! ;D....but yeah, I've read that stuff too!

I have a box I am getting ready to sell that has a '79 650 head, complete with cam and everything, and some other stuff.  If I really need to, I can use that money down the road for a Web-Cam.  I like my stock tach....A 650 cam means getting a 650 tach. :-\

I was joking about your nose coming up, but if you want a little more pep, 20 bucks on eBay will get you a 15T front sprocket, and I'm telling ya, you're bike will really be torq'y at low speeds!

When I get home, I'll look into some plugs as well as jets.

It's just nice to have the bike done....this fine tuning stuff is the fun part....that and detailing...the struggles of getting modded parts to fit correctly is in the past (at least for this bike....I keep getting lingering 750 dreams I am trying to ward off!)

~Joe

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #677 on: May 14, 2010, 07:37:47 am »
Joe,

PM'd ya on the 650 head.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #678 on: May 14, 2010, 07:48:32 pm »
I keep getting lingering 750 dreams I am trying to ward off!

~Joe

Forget it Joe, you can never ward off the 750 feeling.. And resiting it is futile!

;D

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline drdreas

• Enthusiast
  • 77' CB750k
« Reply #679 on: May 14, 2010, 08:45:32 pm »
Joe, what trailer is that you have the bike on? Did you buy it made or build yourself? Its exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks

Hello all,

Well....I made it home, picked up my bike, and immediately started the transformation.

The ride home was uneventful, thankfully.  On the way home I dumped in a bottle of carb cleaner and a gallon of 91 octane gas to help "fix" the kindness of the seller in giving me a tad bit of old fuel and running it through the carbs. :(  I can now report that the one float that was sticking is now freely operating again.

So anyhow, I started by removing the seat and rear fender and assorted bits.

And then tied up the headlight, popped off the top tree, and got rid of the factory headlight stays/fork tube covers.  I cannot tell you how much I was happy to find the tubes in MINT condition...no rust at all!

The previous owner somehow decided it would be a good idea to actually glue 500 emblems on to the sides of the covers....

Front fender went bye bye as well....oh, the mirrors, chainguard, and other bits are now gone...no blinkers.

Although this is my first cafe, I am an "old hand" at the chopper/remove all which is not necessary, so this kind of work goes quickly for me.

Anyhow, it's a start for the first day

~Joe

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #680 on: May 15, 2010, 07:36:15 am »
Hey Joe, question on the sproket thing.. Before I pull the trigger on it. How are the RPM's at say 60-65? Have you gotten her up to that yet? I would love for it to wake up when taking off, how ever I don't want to sacrifice most of my riding since it will be between 50 -65 with the occasional 65+ ;).. I also would like some info on the trailer, my wife brought up some good points in that I just might need that later this year..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #681 on: May 15, 2010, 06:28:48 pm »

I didnt think you were interested in my parts. I like the look of your bike and will send you a freebie if you send me some great photos for me to use in future slidshows. I just started making these stator covers....because I am tired of looking @ everyones frigging bla missing cover side of the engine.....3 holes. SOLD?

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #682 on: May 15, 2010, 07:23:02 pm »

I didnt think you were interested in my parts. I like the look of your bike and will send you a freebie if you send me some great photos for me to use in future slidshows. I just started making these stator covers....because I am tired of looking @ everyones frigging bla missing cover side of the engine.....3 holes. SOLD?
Me or Joe? If its me!!! SOLD!!!!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #683 on: May 16, 2010, 01:23:10 pm »
Sure would be interested in both covers if they look like that.  I'd be more than happy to take some photos for you to use for promo's....but my bike is relly not that nice.  It just photographs well.

How does the stator cover fit on?  Is it glued on? 

I'd want both in that flat silver.....don't want clear unless you do float blowls.

I'll PM you my mailing address.

~joe

traveler

« Reply #684 on: May 16, 2010, 01:25:25 pm »
trailer is made by a company called "trailer in a bag"....do a google search.

Can't give you any RPM's as of yet, Scott.....I'll be home in 2 weeks, then let you know.  you can also go 1 tooth down...16T for a compromise.  Just ride what you have, and change it later if you really need more torque.

~Joe

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #685 on: May 16, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »
trailer is made by a company called "trailer in a bag"....do a google search.

Can't give you any RPM's as of yet, Scott.....I'll be home in 2 weeks, then let you know.  you can also go 1 tooth down...16T for a compromise.  Just ride what you have, and change it later if you really need more torque.

~Joe

Thanks.. I think I need to drop 2 teeth, I also think with these pods I need to rejet just need to figure out what size. Take it easy and enjoy your two weeks vacation man.. Yes I am going to ride the heck out of it!!!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #686 on: May 16, 2010, 03:52:03 pm »
Hi Guys, dropping 2 teeth at the front is like adding 6-9 or more teeth to the back, it will lower your top speed considerably. I read that you {Zaipai} wish it to still be good at highway speeds so i would recommend what Joe has said and just leave it as is for the time being then try maybe one tooth down at the front or a couple of teeth higher at the rear.
2 teeth down at the front will give you excellent acceleration and would be fun around town but would be bloody annoying at highway speeds as it would be revving its nuts off trying to do those speeds, increasing your fuel economy considerably as well.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #687 on: May 16, 2010, 03:58:13 pm »
I made it so it could mount with 3 tabs into the 3 holes that the original stator cover used, but found that a heavy duty 3M molding tape worked better. I made the cover so it fits the contour of the aluminum housing.....its a good fit.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #688 on: May 16, 2010, 05:55:43 pm »
Hi Guys, dropping 2 teeth at the front is like adding 6-9 or more teeth to the back, it will lower your top speed considerably. I read that you {Zaipai} wish it to still be good at highway speeds so i would recommend what Joe has said and just leave it as is for the time being then try maybe one tooth down at the front or a couple of teeth higher at the rear.
2 teeth down at the front will give you excellent acceleration and would be fun around town but would be bloody annoying at highway speeds as it would be revving its nuts off trying to do those speeds, increasing your fuel economy considerably as well.

Mick
Yea sounds like a plan. I was thinking about it and really I think once I rejet it will give me the boost I am looking for.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #689 on: May 17, 2010, 10:47:27 am »
well....with my jetting dialed in, I should have the power I want.

~Joe

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #690 on: May 17, 2010, 10:56:15 am »
I hope you don't mind Joe, I am going to wait on the Jetting and the Sprockets until after you get back and see how it works on yours. I am in no hurry to take the carbs or anything else apart until I am more sure..

Hope you are having a good vacation..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

traveler

« Reply #691 on: May 17, 2010, 02:49:27 pm »
no worries....you're my bro, Scott.

~Joe

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #692 on: May 24, 2010, 07:14:29 am »
I have to say I agree on losing a toth or two. The revs are not that much higher and the bikes are much quicker around town. They will also go much faster in top gear if you lose 1-2 teeth. 400s will never pull redlline in 6th until you drop a tooth in front. I am sure 500/550s are the same.
At the track though I was wishing I had brough along the stock gear as it would have made it easier to use more of 2/3 instead of 3/4 on that particular track.
It is easy to change and sprockets are pretty cheap it is worth the experimentation to get a bike that does what you want it to do.

bp
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

traveler

« Reply #693 on: May 24, 2010, 03:31:04 pm »
Well, I like acceleration....and it just makes the bike more "torque-y", if theat makes any sense. :-\

Once I get home, I'll start in with the jetting, and probably remove the baffles.

I think 115 mains will do the trick!

~Joe

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #694 on: May 24, 2010, 03:55:55 pm »
They will also go much faster in top gear if you lose 1-2 teeth

If you loose 1-2 teeth off the front sprocket it raises your revs for any given speed meaning that your top speed will be reduced, you will get there faster but you will loose top speed.

Mick

750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #695 on: May 24, 2010, 05:19:05 pm »

If you loose 1-2 teeth off the front sprocket it raises your revs for any given speed meaning that your top speed will be reduced, you will get there faster but you will loose top speed.

Mick

Mick, when you say top speed, are you talking max MPH? Frankly 70 is about all I would do on this bike anyway it gets a little scary after that. Not to mention there just are not a lot of chances to get to that speed or beyond.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #696 on: May 24, 2010, 10:50:27 pm »

Mick

Mick, when you say top speed, are you talking max MPH? Frankly 70 is about all I would do on this bike anyway it gets a little scary after that. Not to mention there just are not a lot of chances to get to that speed or beyond.

Yes, it lowers your top speed, or if you can manage to get to the same speed you will be doing higher RPM. This would be fine for around town but would be a pain in the arse on longer trips, the bike revs harder to maintain the same speeds and because of this it will use more fuel. Lower gearing means more revs means better take off and less top speed, Higher gearing means less revs means slower take off and more top speed.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

traveler

« Reply #697 on: May 24, 2010, 11:25:45 pm »
Yeah....that's the way I have always understood it.

This bike is for around town and short short trips, so I set it up to get max acceleration....and with the drastic weight reduction the bike went through, it really scoots!  (and it isn't even jetted properly yet!!)

~Joe

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #698 on: May 25, 2010, 02:43:47 am »
Heh you guys got me thinking about switching mine now on my 750.... Seeing as on my old bike I don't intend to top 90 one step down would probably be perfect I bet.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #699 on: May 25, 2010, 04:46:55 am »
Actually... Honda over geared all of these CBs. None of them will pull redline in top gear when they are stock. Dropping a tooth (even though it makes them quicker around town) ALSO has the added benifit of actually allowing one to reach redline or at least approach redline in top gear. SO the bike will actually go faster with slightly lower gearing. Now if you go too far it will gain a bunch of revs @ highway speeds and maybe drive you crazy. But one tooth is hardly noticable at freeway speeds. The fun factor is worth the few extra revs at crusing speeds...Besides who cruises?   lol.
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0