Author Topic: Parts Washer solvent / solution...  (Read 13850 times)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: Parts Washer solvent / solution...
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 01:53:31 am »
yeah steamnjn23,its only a 60 lire drum split in two,(throw the other half away or make two)then make a cut in each corner about an inch and a half long,fold the four sides so as to be 90 degrees to the drum so itll hang into a hole cut to suit in the top of a crappily made bench,i drive for a skip bin company and can get any amount of old drums and packing crates,thats what i used,i dont have a pump operating with it or anything,ive got a hinged lid over it though,i also found a whole heap of those stainless steel food holders that sit in steamers like in a fast food place,long ones,square ones etc,the best for organizing dissembled motors,i even use them as wash bins.i delivered pre fab kitchens to heaps of mill park in the 80s when it was new terry,childs rd is the main drag if i remember,i drove a j series bedford tray with a chevy 307 and turbo400 ,beat a few small unsuspecting cars off from the traffic lights!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:00:12 am by dave500 »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 06:38:04 pm »
That's it Dave, I live in Bowman Drive, first on the left off Childs Road after Dalton Road. We've only been here since 2001, when I retired from the regular Army and needed to find somewhere to live. The house was built in 1992, so I guess I don't have one of your kitchens? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 11:14:01 pm »
the factory was in springvale terry,long haul to mill park ,somedays wed do it twice in a day,we had an old j series bedford tray truck,the six was thrown out and a chevy 307 and t400 shoe horned in,we pretty much drove all over the place,mill park was a bigger development at the time ,as was fountain gate and all the other stale same as each other beautifull estates,patterson lakes,endevour gardens,taylors lakes,orlit homes was the main contract,little boxes on the hillside etc!!kept me employed i suppose,i did it for years,ended up buying my own acco van and being a subby to the same manufacturer,went on to tippers after that.

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 02:30:52 pm »
Tried diesel once... nasty, smelly stuff that wouldn't dry off. yuck. glad I didn't fill a parts washer with gallons of the stuff.

Paint thinner a.k.a. mineral spirit works just fine.

Carb spray gets used over the tank, mixes readily with the solvent.
When it gets gunky, I have access to a recycling unit.... no waste.

I think I'll skip the water-based stuff.

Kinda hard washing parts with a popsicle.

;)
1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2009, 06:26:08 pm »
Hi Mark, thinners is both dangerous to breath and have on your skin, it eats the layers of fat away under the skin on your hands and slowly does nerve damage. I would advise wearing chemical grade gloves when doing that and do it in an area that has good airflow. Methylated spirits would do a similar job and is alcohol based and lots safer..

Mick
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:29:30 pm by retro rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 10:23:47 pm »
as soon as i smell thinners i get dizzy,how about turpentine?ive just bought from supercheap 4 litres of their "solvent degreaser"its a hydrocarbon stuff,it looks a little yellow and isnt too fumy,or is that fumie?ill try some gangerous old carbies in it .,ill probably keep with kero,this stuff was $20 for a 4 litre tin.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 12:10:26 am »
Hi Mark, thinners is both dangerous to breath and have on your skin, it eats the layers of fat away under the skin on your hands and slowly does nerve damage. I would advise wearing chemical grade gloves when doing that and do it in an area that has good airflow. Methylated spirits would do a similar job and is alcohol based and lots safer..

Mick

Hey Mick, it's not "Thinner" as we know it, the stuff that Mark is referring to is Turpentine. Just "Americanglish". ;D

ive just bought from supercheap 4 litres of their "solvent degreaser"its a hydrocarbon stuff,it looks a little yellow and isnt too fumy,or is that fumie?ill try some gangerous old carbies in it .,ill probably keep with kero,this stuff was $20 for a 4 litre tin.

That Supercheap stuff is really good Dave, I just strain it back into the tin after use and it doesn't seem to lose it's bite? 20 bucks is a lot, but I think it's worth it. Cheers, Terry.  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 01:34:34 am »
Hey Mick, it's not "Thinner" as we know it, the stuff that Mark is referring to is Turpentine. Just "Americanglish". Grin

Them damn Yankees need some edumecating...... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 04:46:40 am »
aussie thinners is not terpentine!!!they are two separate entities!,,both are flammable,,,terpentine is a tree product,,,and quite oily,,thinners i think is an acetone and alchohol based,,,not to be cunfused with bourbon or beer ,,which have both been proved to be beneficial to mankind(i mean husband kind,,dont let females drink it!)

Offline Irk11

• Irk11
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 08:35:42 am »
My brother in law worked for safety kleen a few years ago, and said thier parts cleaning solvent was something like 85-90% mineral spirits, and the rest were a combination of chemicals to make it easier to work with, maybe easier on the skin or a little less toxic.?
Ride hard,chicks dig scars!

Offline 1974CB750rider

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB750K4 46000 miles
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 08:50:51 am »
Though its probably not enviromently friendly, if it was me I would use varsol. It works well and also evaporates fast on the parts. As long as you keep your parts washer covered it won't evaporate to quickly. Yo can also buy brake cleaner by the gallon cheap to.
People with closed minds cannot learn new things.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 02:41:03 pm »
aussie thinners is not terpentine!!!they are two separate entities!,,both are flammable,,,terpentine is a tree product,,,and quite oily,,thinners i think is an acetone and alchohol based

Yes Dave, that's what I said mate, turpentine is not thinner. Read the label in the "thinner" post, it says you can use the stuff to remove tar from paint, now you and I both know that we wouldn't use what we call thinner on paint, or it'd remove that too. However, Turpentine or white spirits would be fine. Now ease up on that drinking mate, you're lowering the real estate values! ;D