Author Topic: '81 CB650C, overflowing carbs, and vacuum tees  (Read 12654 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: '81 CB650C, overflowing carbs, and vacuum tees
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 12:14:54 am »
If dipping them in solution makes them leak how do you expect them to hold gas? ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

SpAmSoNiTe

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 05:32:49 pm »
Sorry to hijack the thread,but you're saying that if the vent lines are blocked, it could cause the float not to rise all the way and let fuel continue to flow into(and up above) the bowl?  I also have an `81 650 that has had me stumped with an overflowing #4 since last fall.  My fuel level will rise until it pretty much reaches the tank on my tubing connected to the drain.  I've tried all the other suggestions here that I've found(polishing the seat, swapping floats and float needles, etc) with no luck.  I even tried modifying an old Mikuni brass float I had laying around to see if that would work.  If I removed my tee from in between 3&4 and there was no blockage, fuel should flow out of here before it rises high enough to spill out from the airbox side of the carb, yes?  and if I can get a carb cleaner nozzle up into where the T enters carb 4, would it come out into the bowl if everything was clear? ???

Again, sorry to hijack, but this has been making me bang my head against the wall since last summer/fall!  :-\

Those lines with the tees are bowl vent lines and must have the tees installed, otherwise your just 'venting' one carb into the next ( closed circuit , no vent ) and the pressure in the bowls would hold the floats from rising all the way, i.e. overflow....... the vent hoses from the tees I think go up to / or over the airbox....maybe someone else can confirm that. Good luck.
And this is the real answer.
If you will leave those opening without those tees it would work too, only overflow would drip at the engine directly. Fastest trick is to connect to each carb a separate tube and put them somewhere "out of the way".

Offline kslrr

• There is always a Blaster when there is a
  • Master
  • Raising her up right!
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 08:35:58 am »
The "pressure" in the bowl does not prevent the floats from rising.  They will always float on the fuel.  That's what they do.  If there was a build up of pressure in the bowl, the fuel would stop flowing through the valve.  Over flow is generally due to dirty and/or improperly set float valves.  Get all the passages and valves cleaned out and recheck the float levels using the proper float measurement tool.
Now  1972 CB350FX (experimental v2.0)
        1981 CB650c Custom with '79 engine (wifes)
        1981 CB650 engine
        2004 HD XL883C Custom
        1977 Yamaha XS750D (in progress)
Then 1972 CL175
        1964 Yamaha YGS-1T
No ride is a Bad ride

Offline D

• 1979 CM185T, 1981 cb650c
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 07:39:47 pm »
-hush,
     Are you saying that it would be ok to dunk the all the carbs connected together into cleaner ( I use chem-dip). I thought the cleaner was harder on the connections than gasoline was?