Author Topic: Concerned...(Sitting engine)  (Read 1284 times)

Offline BigBoi

• Enthusiast
  • It's a jungle out there.
Concerned...(Sitting engine)
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:59:33 am »
Hey all,

Here's the deal. In October of '09 (like 2 1/2 months ago), I tore apart my newly acquired CB750K2. Before I did so, I checked the compression which revealed very good numbers (150ish across the board). I decided I wasn't going to touch the motor but I had to repaint the frame and several other parts needed replacement/restoration. So I went about it, drained the oil and removed the motor.

I've now got the motor back in but I'm in a bind. I'm realistically not going to be able to fire up the engine for at least another month, maybe more. It's been sitting with no oil in it since October. Is this a problem? I'm in a position now that I can add some oil, but can't crank the engine as I have no wiring in it. Will the kickstart help? I hear I won't be able to get the full 3.5L without starting it?

I guess my question is, how bad is it to leave the motor sitting for this long without any oil in it?

Thanks all!

Offline Fritz

• Hot Shot
Re: Concerned...(Sitting engine)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:14:19 am »
I don't see any problem in letting an engine sit without oil for a couple of months. What should it do bad?
Wire up the oil control light, fill in oil and kick it until the light goes off while kicking on. At this point there should be enough oil everywhere to start it.

1976 CB550F

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:08:01 am »
Mine has been sitting for 8 months since I got it and who knows how long before I aquired it.

I turn it over every month or so and squirt some lubricant into the spark plug holes.

I've used a bore light to peak into the engine via the tappet covers and spark plug holes and all looks good.

You should be fine.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:56:11 am »
Since you didn't disassemble and clean the engine, it will still have an oil film on internal parts. It's a good idea to squirt a bit of oil in the sparkplug holes, replace the plugs loosely, and kick it over a few times before long term storage - this coats the bores well and should oil the exhaust valve stems too. That's my winter storage routine, anyway: I have an pumper oil can with a long flexible nozzle filled with 2-stroke oil just for this.

Offline oldman prof

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:04:36 pm »
I pushed oil through my 1973 TX750 twin by jumper cable on the starter with my son holding a ohms meter(analog) on the oil switch,,worked,also a dry sump motor,switch on the same place.

Offline BigBoi

• Enthusiast
  • It's a jungle out there.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:14:00 pm »
Great guys. I guess I've heard some places that moisture can get in there (although since it's -10 outside, my garage is cold) and corrode some parts.

If this is the case, I'm just going to leave it for another month before I add some oil.

Thanks!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:19:32 pm »
Before I got it, mine sat outside for several years with plastic bags stuffed in the intakes, no carbs and  no oil. It started fine and has a thousand miles so far. I did pour oil into the galley at the right end of the engine before I turned it over. I used a gauge fitting, pipe nipples, a 90 and reducers to make a stand pipe and poured it full while kicking the engine over.
 You won't need to do all that.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 I smell like Lilacs, I've got glitter on my cheeks and it's all Joe's fault, he told the stripper it was my birthday.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 04:38:03 pm »
. Will the kickstart help? I hear I won't be able to get the full 3.5L without starting it?

I guess my question is, how bad is it to leave the motor sitting for this long without any oil in it?

You can add some oil into the cylinders and use the kickstarter. You can pour oil into the oil tank and use the kickstarter or connect the car battery to it and pump oil thru the engine if you wish. If you put oil in the cylinders, I would put a rag or something over the plug holes before you kick or jump it. The oil will spray further than you would expect. I know this to be true.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 05:39:29 pm »
Great guys. I guess I've heard some places that moisture can get in there (although since it's -10 outside, my garage is cold) and corrode some parts.

If this is the case, I'm just going to leave it for another month before I add some oil.

Thanks!
There is no "although" to the moisture concern. Anywhere there is air there is moisture. When the air was warm, it held moisture. When the air cooled down it dropped its moisture into the engine, on steel parts, (rust) and in the sump. This is condensation and it happens anywhere there is air and temperature changes.

Still you should be fine. When time comes to start it, change the oil before or shortly after to get the oil thats been polluted with water out.

The valve train is all steel, and being the highest point will have drained out its oil, but the film discussed is always there. You can remove some tappet covers and squirt some oil in there occasionally while it sits and before startup, as its the last place fresh oil will get to. Kick it occasionally whjile in storage to keep the rings from rusting to the cylinders. And before starting several healthy kicks with the kill button in off position couldn't hurt. That'll allow you to see the oil lite without starting it.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."