Author Topic: Honda SOHC Race Bike Gallery  (Read 90405 times)

Offline voxonda

• Master
Re: Honda SOHC Race Bike Gallery
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 12:17:36 pm »
Hey LMP,

It is still one of my favorits, looking at this piƧ shows the sprocket cover in place and the gear mechanism cover unchanged. Did the original bike had that too??

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 12:23:08 pm »
Ahh thanks Rob  ;D

The sprocket cover was on the donor bike yes - they gear change lever is the kit part copy though. Original was a linkage type lever (lever, rod, link arm)
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 12:27:49 pm »
Ahh thanks Rob  ;D

The sprocket cover was on the donor bike yes - they gear change lever is the kit part copy though. Original was a linkage type lever (lever, rod, link arm)

Sorry LMP, I mean had the original Sumiya bike this too, all the Cr's I know(n) ran without the sprocket cover and had the re-worked mechanism cover. Excuse my (school) English.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 12:28:27 pm »
Still love my 'replica' too:

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 10:21:43 am »
Isn't one of the Vance & Hines duo a former mechanic seen walking around the RC dragster?

Both Vance and Hines worked for Collins before setting off on their own to work with Suzuki.

Collins used to work with Ricky Racer as well for the design of the fiberglass. Their shops were right around the corner from each other.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 10:24:23 am »
Isn't one of the Vance & Hines duo a former mechanic seen walking around the RC dragster?

Both Vance and Hines worked for Collins before setting off on their own to work with Suzuki.

Collins used to work with Ricky Racer as well for the design of the fiberglass. Their shops were right around the corner from each other.

Our RR???? Tell me more, please!

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 10:48:02 am »
No the Company....

I don't think our RR actually worked there, but wouldn't that be cool if he did!!!
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 10:53:02 am »
OK my fault. ;D Thanks for clearing that. ;)

Cheers, Rob

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 10:57:59 am »
Well our RR is the foremost authority on the company RickyRacer.

No one knows more about it than him. I think he's got 2 or three of their bikes as well. My cousin was in touch with him for a while before he died (my cousin not our RR). Showed me pictures he sent. Very cool!!

'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 12:47:53 pm »
Guys, I'm flattered to be confused with him, but the real "Rickey Racer" was named Lance Weil. For more info just do a Google search for "Lance Weil Rickey Racer."

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=26941

I chose the name because I had the only Rickman built by Lance. I sold it last year to a friend in Los Angeles. Lance built the bike back in the early 1980's while he was still in Pomona, CA. Later, he relocated to the East Coast, next door to Cosmopolitan Motors. My understanding is that that is where he died as the result of a lathe accident in his shop.

I do have one more Rickman CR750 that I hope to finish by mid-year and I promise that it will be outrageous.

I've spent most of my life in the high-end jewelry business and only got into bikes a few years ago after becoming discouraged with the costs of custom autos. CB750's and their rarer performance parts have been my obsession ever since. Anyone who wants info can always PM me. Otherwise, I'm a virtual hermit.   8)  RR

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:49:25 pm by Ricky_Racer »
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 03:51:14 pm »
Guys, I'm flattered to be confused with him, but the real "Rickey Racer" was named Lance Weil. For more info just do a Google search for "Lance Weil Rickey Racer."

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=26941

I chose the name because I had the only Rickman built by Lance. I sold it last year to a friend in Los Angeles. Lance built the bike back in the early 1980's while he was still in Pomona, CA. Later, he relocated to the East Coast, next door to Cosmopolitan Motors. My understanding is that that is where he died as the result of a lathe accident in his shop.

I do have one more Rickman CR750 that I hope to finish by mid-year and I promise that it will be outrageous.

I've spent most of my life in the high-end jewelry business and only got into bikes a few years ago after becoming discouraged with the costs of custom autos. CB750's and their rarer performance parts have been my obsession ever since. Anyone who wants info can always PM me. Otherwise, I'm a virtual hermit.   8)  RR

That thing is sooooooooooooooo seventies!!!

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 05:50:49 pm »
This looks like the Daytona winner...anybody know?

This is the most complete kit CR750 Bike on the planet. I sold it it to Mr Barber of Barber Motorsport Museum late 90's.

KOS

Mark@M3 Racing USA
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 05:57:11 pm »
This one was at the Indy MotoGP in August

This CR750 replica was one I had a hand in... as I made the deal to have my friend Peter Hipp of Reno, NV sell it to Bob Hansen of the REAL Team Hansen in Fallbrook, CA. He then sold it to American Honda Motor Co USA Museum in California. Note the size of rear of megaphones...this is the last  try at making four individual pipes work better than four into one. These were pipes from 1973 Daytona factory effort with Sumiya, Reiman, and Steve Mclaughlin. DID NOT WORK .

KOS
M3 Racing USA

KR's TZ miler. I know it's been on here before but I still smile when I think of him taking a few hot laps in August, great show.

Nice Rickman. Jeff Peters can ride it too

Couple more 750's

Team Hansen 350/4

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 06:00:25 pm »
This one was at the Indy MotoGP in August

This CR750 replica was one I had a hand in... as I made the deal to have my friend Peter Hipp of Reno, NV sell it to Bob Hansen of the REAL Team Hansen in Fallbrook, CA. He then sold it to American Honda Motor Co USA Museum in California. Note the size of rear of megaphones...this is the last  try at making four individual pipes work better than four into one. These were pipes from 1973 Daytona factory effort with Sumiya, Reiman, and Steve Mclaughlin. DID NOT WORK .

KOS
M3 Racing USA

The bottom three (3) bikes look to be owned by Tom Faulds of Honda Canada. He never did like to run meggas. One of the bikes is Rickman and the one with red tank won Daytona AHRMA races....4 times.

KOS

KR's TZ miler. I know it's been on here before but I still smile when I think of him taking a few hot laps in August, great show.

Nice Rickman. Jeff Peters can ride it too

Couple more 750's

Team Hansen 350/4

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 06:04:35 pm »
More of the team hansen bike:

Yep, you can tell they are Terry's bikes...pretty, much detai,l BUT never run worth a sh*t. Does not even have a chain on it. Saw a more completed version at Mid Ohio this year, but when it came in it had smoke coming out of breather big time. That is not good...means pistons are  scored and combustion is blowing by rings/pistons. Like I said...pretty bikes but very slow, if running.

KOS

M3 Racing USA

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »

NOT Daytona winner, there is no sign of actual Daytona Dick Mann bike, not even in Motegi Honda Museum in Japan. Some French guy claimed to have it, but his was a fraud and it had serial numbers ground off...like it was stolen.  This bike in photos was built by myself, Mark McGrew and sold to Barber Museum in Birmingham, AL.
Note: Correct rear shocks, foot pegs, foot peg brackets, seat that attaches to rear fender mounts, tank strap, front seat hold down bracket. Steering dampener/ brackets, two bolt "kit" forks..on and on.

KOS

M3 Racing USA

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 06:19:47 pm »
Ok.... I'll start with these...

Top bike with #1 on it, is Honda Factory Works RS750 AMA Dirt Track Racer. Built & restored by Mark McGrew and sold to Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, AL. It was purchased from David Lloyd Racing and was purple when I got it. Ridden by Bubba Shobert with Skip Eakin tunning.

The RS750 with #67 was also Factory Works Team Honda, owned by the owner of Motion Pro, it has a more detailed history and Bubba Shobert won many races with it. NOTE: When Honda went full scale into AMA Grand National davison won NO races!

The other bike in picture is the first Honda dirt tracker 750 ever. The NS750 "sidewinder" as the took a CX500 V Twin and turned it sideways in frame, put on a countershaft sprocket instead of drive shaft, bored it out to 750cc's and went AMA GN racing with Freddie Spencer and Mike Kid.   Had way more power than any davidson now or then, but would "cord the rear tyre" with 90 + RWHP! Could not keep tyres on it. Won once and then they built RS V Twins and dominated for years. Also, owned by Motion Pro Owner.

KOS
M3 Racing USA

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 06:25:46 pm »
More!!

That is Byron Hines puching back the "old man"  on the V8 Goldwing head motor of Russ Collins on top photo. Later you can see, Terrry Vance of Vance & Hines in pits next to same bike in color shot. Greasy haired kids..both of them.

Russ builds high performance injectors for hot Japanese race cars now and Terry runs, Vance and Hines while Byron is in Indianapolis, IN  makeing hand made drag bikes for davidson. The only thing davidson is the decals on swing arms.

KOS

M3 Racing USA

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 06:30:50 pm »

NOT Daytona winner, there is no sign of actual Daytona Dick Mann bike, not even in Motegi Honda Museum in Japan. Some French guy claimed to have it, but his was a fraud and it had serial numbers ground off...like it was stolen.  This bike in photos was built by myself, Mark McGrew and sold to Barber Museum in Birmingham, AL.
Note: Correct rear shocks, foot pegs, foot peg brackets, seat that attaches to rear fender mounts, tank strap, front seat hold down bracket. Steering dampener/ brackets, two bolt "kit" forks, correct clip ons with correct plastic caps on end bar ends, proper clutch lever and bracket with correct "big knob" clutch cable and of course...the correct on/off switch.

KOS

M3 Racing USA

Offline Howell

• Honda the power of dreams
  • Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 12:59:16 am »
Take a look at this internetsite ,they claime to have the real Dick Mann CR750

http://www.daytona70.com/English/history.htm

You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Offline Howell

• Honda the power of dreams
  • Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2010, 01:09:57 am »
By this Dutch motordealer is this bike for sale , price unknown.
They pretend that it is an original works CR.
http://www.jankeessenmotoren.nl/
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2010, 01:48:57 am »
Take a look at this internetsite ,they claime to have the real Dick Mann CR750

http://www.daytona70.com/English/history.htm

That is the one KOS is reverring to. NOT the real thing!

Offline Yoshi823

• Biker to the bone.
  • Enthusiast
  • Never too old to be a biker
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2010, 04:18:42 am »
By this Dutch motordealer is this bike for sale , price unknown.
They pretend that it is an original works CR.
http://www.jankeessenmotoren.nl/

Is that one of those race magnetos that Pops Yoshimura used to sell on the left side of the engine? I seem to remember it from the catalogue that I got from Dave Dixon when he used to run Dixon Racing here in the UK back in 1981.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:20:17 am by Yoshi823 »
Bikes...they're in the blood.

Yamaha 2001 R1
Yamaha 1990 FZR1000R EXUP
KTM 2004 450 EXC RFS
Honda 1997 XR400R
Honda 1988 CB125T2

http://www.cb750cafe.com/bikes.php?cat=3&id=67

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2010, 04:24:23 am »
That's correct!

Offline Yoshi823

• Biker to the bone.
  • Enthusiast
  • Never too old to be a biker
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:00:54 am by Yoshi823 »
Bikes...they're in the blood.

Yamaha 2001 R1
Yamaha 1990 FZR1000R EXUP
KTM 2004 450 EXC RFS
Honda 1997 XR400R
Honda 1988 CB125T2

http://www.cb750cafe.com/bikes.php?cat=3&id=67