Author Topic: ***STILL NEED HELP WITH OIL LEAK!!!!****  (Read 1268 times)

Offline pelicanwheel

• Enthusiast
***STILL NEED HELP WITH OIL LEAK!!!!****
« on: January 26, 2010, 06:50:25 pm »
I can't believe I'm one of the many posters with the mystery oil leak in the front... and I too can't figure it out!

1)  leak looked like it was coming from the number 3 spark plug area.  I validated this by using the foot powder method.  The oil was coming from somewhere in that area.  With the mufflers later removed, along with mirrors and lighting, I could not tell exactly where.

2) Engine was pulled and all six cam pucks were replace with new honda factory pucks.  Both center front cam tower studs were removed.  The stud's thread wells were cleaned with brake cleaner, followed by soap water, then rinsed and air compressed dried.  I then squeezed Toyota sealant (dries to a very rubbery state.  Most would think its rubber once cured..I used extensive in my race cars with confidence).  After packing the wells, I immediately installed the studs back in.  I sealed the puck with a thin coat of the sealant on the landings of the pucks.  It was applied thin and clean.

3) install engine...start...run it a few minutes...no oil.  Take it around block..no oil.  While idling, noticed oil coming from same area.

4) cleaned engine..sprayed with foot powder:

valve cover gasket as far as I can see was dry.  However, when I removed pipes and had a clearer view...it may have leaked at the valve cover gasket behind the plug..but I'm not sure.

the tack seal is dry

the valve caps are dry.

5) I removed the 3 and 4 pipes and the number 3 spark plug.  I can see the nib of the sealant that oozed out the holes.  I needed a mirror and flashlight to see this.  I assume that the leak cant be coming from there...and if it was..it would be a small leak....not constant flow that I can see dripping.

Where do I go next?

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
Re: ***STILL NEED HELP WITH OIL LEAK!!!!****
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:54:08 pm »
exhaust seals gaskets new?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 06:57:20 pm by Dukiedook »
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline pelicanwheel

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 07:00:22 pm »
you mean the copper looking o rings that's behind the exhaust flanges?..If so, yes...and I installed brand new allen head screws on the flanges.

If this is what you meant...wouldn't the oil be foiled and black?  I'm getting pure virgin oil with my leak.  That in itself is making it hard to see without powder.

I also could see the oil originating somewhere in the spark plug well when I used powder.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:02:05 pm by pelicanwheel »

Offline gtyler5

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:04 pm »
pictures might help.
1976 CB750F cafe
1978 CB750F (in progress)
1993 CB750 Nighthawk

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:07:19 pm »
Keep in mind, I have no idea what bike we are talking about,
and I am unframiar with some of the terminolgy you are using,
but it reads like you have a valve cover gasket leak in the front center area....
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 11:39:14 pm »
Valve cover gasket back to front, or is it side to side and yes its different and yes it will fit wrong
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline pelicanwheel

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:41:19 am »
Success! The valve cove gasket was upside down...along with the initial cam puck.

Just for the record..it took all of about 2 minutes to change the gasket with the engine in the bike....it snakes right over the cover.

Thanks everyone for you help.

Pelican

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 09:47:03 pm »
Nice to remember one right occasionally, have fun riding now
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:31:22 pm »
Success! The valve cove gasket was upside down...along with the initial cam puck.

Just for the record..it took all of about 2 minutes to change the gasket with the engine in the bike....it snakes right over the cover.

Thanks everyone for you help.

Pelican

Okay, now we know that you don't have a 750...unless you have a modified frame.  ;) If you have a 550 then you just got good intel from the sohc4 550 guru. Hi Bryan.  :D

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline pelicanwheel

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 07:05:23 am »
Mick - I do have a 750...why do you think I didn't?   Because I got the gasket on without removing the engine?  I know many people think you have to remove the engine but I didn't.

I replaced all the valve cover bolts with allen head bolts, so removing the bolts are really easy.  I used small bungee cords to keep the cover high off the head while I snaked the gasket over.  It was 1000000 times easier than trying to put carb boots and stock air cleaner on a bike.  I so dread doing that when I have to.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 07:38:19 am »
Works Ok if the gasket comes off it one piece, like yours would, but not easy if you have to try and clean both surfaces