Kit
32 (34%)
Hush
32 (34%)
Scunny
30 (31.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: February 01, 2010, 12:16:41 pm

Author Topic: VOTE for Bike Of The Month - February 2010  (Read 22603 times)

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
VOTE for Bike Of The Month - February 2010
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:16:42 pm »
It's Votin' Time!

Don't forget to add more pics, link your build thread and talk about your bike.  Spread it out over the next 15 days.  Makes the thread more interesting and it helps with your vote count.

Have fun!

Nomination Thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=63778.0

Kit

Hush - I can replace this pic, let me know which one.

Scunny

I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
Re: VOTE for Bike Of The Month - February 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:23:35 pm »

These 3 bikes are definitely CHOICE bikes and tops in their OWN category! 8)

It's a 650 SOHC4 Month!

And MY vote is IN! ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Gorms

• Barkeep! Give me a beer and a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:25:39 pm »
I'm gonna meed many more pics!  Put 'em up boys!

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:08:44 pm »
I'm gonna meed many more pics!  Put 'em up boys!

:D Might be better to say "Put 'em up FOLKS!" Because Kit isn't a Boy. ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:16:09 pm »
Had to vote for kit, just because of how much work I know went into that bike.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:54:28 pm »
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 02:00:08 pm »
Kit's build thread is here...
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=30602.0

Hush's build thread is here...
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=35024.0

Here's Scunny's build thread...
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=38704.0

;D

Hey Mickey, let me guess, you voted for the 650, am I right? ;D

Mighty good of you to post info on ALL three bikes! 8)
Member # 1969

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 02:01:56 pm »
Hush do you have a better pic?
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 02:03:57 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's scunny's build thread. I didn't find one that went back to the beginning, just to where it looks like it does now. Scunny, is there another one?

I think I voted for the 650. Wait, lemme go look...

yup, I can't lie. I voted for that beautiful 650. RAWR!!!  ;D ;D ;D
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 02:12:24 pm »
Kit has more pics on her computer so I'll wait to see what she posts. We can get some with the hard bags off if some of you would like to see it like that. It's raining like crazy out there now but maybe one day this week when it's not so gray out, if someone says they'd like to see it nekkid. The bike, I mean.  :D

Yeah Hush, more pics!!  ;D

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's scunny's build thread. I didn't find one that went back to the beginning, just to where it looks like it does now. Scunny, is there another one?

I think I voted for the 650. Wait, lemme go look...

yup, I can't lie. I voted for that beautiful 650. RAWR!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, I didn't think you could resist voting for the 650, I mean, it would be the perfect chance to vote for the 650! :D ::) ;)

Sure Do hope that the 650 wins this one! ;D Sure would be the PERFECT time to do so! ;)
Member # 1969

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »
MickeyX - nice story, thanks for sharing.

-Steve

I have to admit, when I 1st saw Kit's bike, in the barn at the ex's place... pieces here and there, sitting in a dusty box, not running, looking like ass... I had a WTF?? :o look on my face. I slid a sideways look at Kit and there she was, beaming from head to toe over that piece of crap uh, machine.  ::) We had help pushing it into the truck, dropped it off at a friends house because we didn't even have a place to park it where we lived. It sat there next to the house for weeks, untouched because we had no $$ at all to put towards parts. Slowly, we put some $$ aside for it, Kit went over to work on it here and there. It didn't stop her that she knew nothing at all about cycles, never had ridden one in her life, it was a huge bike to start off with and 4 of everything... I really wanted to give up on it and thought we should have left it in the barn with her ex. Then when she lit it on fire and texted me while I was in the OR at work... that was a tense 1/2 hour till she texted me again that the bike (and friend's house) weren't a total goner.  ::) Since then, she's learned a lot about these bikes, had the patience of a saint on cleaning it up, every nook and cranny, very resourceful in that endeavor, considering the engine never totally came out of the frame. We got a better apartment and moved it into our carport there. At one point, the bike was a cycle shop of an acquaintance, where she endured a lot of nastiness and #$%* behavior to have a place to work on it and some tools. He was a total #$%* to her and when he did that in front of me and upset her, we brought the bike home as soon as it would stay running a bit and parked it outside in the carport again. She worked on it in the rain and blowing snow, freezing her ass off and getting sick here and there. When we could finally get a garage where we lived, we moved it in that very day. Along the way, paulages and mlinder showed her how to synch the carbs, fix some stripped bolt holes, and many other things. Paul also hooked her up with some parts along the way which was great of him.

I love the fact that when we are out riding, her on the CB650 and me on my Sportster, she is the one who gets the looks. She parks her bike next to any of that era and it's plain to see how much she's put into it. That bike is a true labor of love. It's broken her heart so many times I can't count it on both hands. It's been an emotional roller coaster and I'm sure every now and again, she's entertained the idea of pushing it off a high cliff.  :D In the end, she wouldn't give up on her and there she sits... and runs... and turns heads everywhere she goes, even the Harley shop. I gotta tell you, those guys are big snobs and when they come out from behind the counter or the shop and start in with the "I remember the days..." stories and the huge smiles, running a finger down the curvy lines of the tank and across the seat... my Sporty will never give anyone the goosebumps the way her bike seems to.

As you can see, I'm so proud of her, I can't hold it in. She started off with a mess and ended up with a graceful piece of art. (for an old fat lady, that bike sure can dance!) Kit started this project making barely above minimum wage, then started college full time and didn't work for about a year, then college part time while back to minimum wage, not much time or money on the side to tinker. I took the riders course with her and she took to it like a duck to water. She was the only noobie to pass the 1st time. Then it was months and months before she could ride Delilah and then only in our parking lot for weeks. Then she had me trail behind her in light traffic, scared to death and informantion overload the entire time. Now, she gets on it up the highway like she was born on it. I live with her and see how creative she really is and I'm still amazed every time I see and hear that bike on the road and her on it. The fact that she will hit 70 in 3rd gear easily theses days leaving me in the dust... I love that.  8)

Congrats Kit. BOTM or not, you've already won.  :)
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 05:54:45 pm »
Here are some additional pictures of my bike.  Unfortunately, I don't have the original "This is how she started" pics, but I have some that are "pretty close". Page Two!!!

Here she is when we just started getting to the head gasket leak/bent valves in my acquaintance's garage. To that point, I'd already taken the carbs apart and started attempting to clean and reassemble them, but just turning the engine over manually we could hear bent valves. It was going to be a long road.

The day we brought her home:

Then she went through a couple incarnations:

before reaching her zenith. 8)

and then she was ready to go to the Oregon Country Fair and wade through the muddy aftermath of the worst storm in the Fair's history... fully loaded. :o

I honestly can say that I wasn't all that sure I'd be able to get the ride I bought for $450 with leaking head gasket, bent valves, cracked coils, melted igniters, etc etc etc running decently... and there were some times where the only thing that kept me going was the fact that I'd probably not get my money 'back' for it if I tried to sell it, so I should finish it and enjoy it myself.  
My build thread reads with a lot of ups and downs, often more commentary, questions and back-and-forth than technical details, but Hush, Scunny, Soos, Paul, and Mickey (oh and Jim, Jimi and Janis... and John, Paul, George and Ringo... and...  and... many, many others) really kept me going, kept me motivated and helped me have some faith in myself.  In retrospect, I can't recommend any utter newbie start their wrenching foray with a CB650, but it's ok. I got by with a little help from my friends. 8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:41:45 pm by Kit »
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »

Kit, the end result may not reflect ALL that the 2 of you have been through but, it certainly is a Shining example of YOUR determination! 8) ;)
Member # 1969

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 07:30:00 pm »
Ah, I remember the peanut butter front brake fondly, though. I came back after working all day and you showed it to me and asked me what I thought that stuff was and I said it looks like your making a peanut butter sandwich.  ;D

Come on Hush and Scunny, where are the pictures and stories? Now's your time to shine.  ;)

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »
not much of a story behind mine. had my first sohc in 74, a nice gold 500/4. thru the years chased the  need for speed with bigger bikes and have now returned to the pocket rockets. this bike was always meant to look like a privateer racing bike from the late 60's early 70's( no frills)
no real previous thread, just a lot of experimenting. I'm not voting for my bike, there are too many better ones on here, but I wouldn't change a thing  ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:19:35 pm by scunny »
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:24:23 pm »
Larry I still wanna ride your bike, it just looks positively evil and is probably one of the fastest (road legal) CB650's in New Zealand now and Kit "D" never looked better, she is a true testament to your determination to flick the bird at the Gods of motorcycling. ;D
I'm up to my gazzoba in working on Jaffas dead GSX so not much time for this, latest shot is this one.
One day i'm gonna do a short vid with the lights and all going off at night, it's a blast....where's them other USA 650's? ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:36:27 pm by Hush »
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 10:16:08 am »
This is kewl seeing the 650's side by side.  I now realize there is a Custom and what I would call a standard (just by seeing these pics).

The Custom looks to have a different frame in the middle and appears to be a lower seat height.  Looks a like a good bike to lower for the inseam challenged.  Don't take me out for saying that, lol.

This has turned out to be a good and enjoyable BOTM.  This 650 shootout is kewl.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 10:34:38 am »

Tipper, I agree, it IS cool to see the 650 "shootout', would have been even moreso, if there would have been more 650s in the running. Then it would have been even harder to try to pick JUST one! Hard enough as it is! ;)
Member # 1969

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:08 am »
The difference between the custom and standard is the custom had a 4-4 exhaust and comstar wheels,metal headlight bucket (and maybe different colors of paint as well?) and the standard had wire wheels, 4-2 exhaust and decals for their side covers instead of badges. My bike is actually lowered 2" in the rear, which makes for the different seat height.   :) 
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 11:07:51 am »
So, your wheels are of off a standard?  Those must be the 11" shorties on there for your two inch drop.  I see you were a 4-2 and went to the 4-4.  I like the look of the 4-4 better than the 4-2.

Is the frame difference just an illusion because of the seat and side covers?  Just wunderin'.

Btw, she cleaned up really well and looks really good.  The tour look fits well too.  I have a soft spot for touring bikes.  I am gittin' old, I know, lol.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:32 am »
I had a custom (according to the title) but 4-2 exhaust and the 19 front 17 rear are from a standard.  I was liking the comstars for their 16" wheel, but because I've already got the rear lowered, slamming another 1/2" off might start affecting handling. Who knows? ;) Hush's is a 79 and so shaped a bit differently in the frame from mine, if that's the one you're comparing mine to.  The seat does dip pretty low compared to a lot of other CBs but it should (at least in theory?) be the same as any other 80-82 650. (but I've been wrong before) ;)

I love the touring style because even though it's kind of big and oxy to learn to ride on, the bags have been so handy for books and the windshield so great for wind and rain etc...  I guess I'm a slave to comfort and convenience... the 350 will be different. ;)
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 01:11:05 pm »

Hush's 650 is an European model, from what I think I remember. If you'll look back at pae's 650, his is a 79' CB650Z (a European model as well. Somewhere in there (during the production of the 650, I think I'm right in saying that there WAS a difference in the frame of the 650. Look at the side covers on the different models as well.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't know about ALL of the differences of the different 650s, I've learned a good amount from Terry (cb650). Mine is an 80' CB650C (along with the parts bike I have).
Member # 1969

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 01:46:33 pm »
The frame, tank, side covers, seat... changed significantly from '79-80.  :) The engine and carbs stayed the same and then changed in '81.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 06:03:04 pm »
The LC650 I had was radically different again, the forks were twice as thick and the handle bars were two piece (scary eh!) when that bike ran well it was damn fast. :)
Shame we didn't get any nominations for the LC model as it truely was the very "last" of the SOHC4's ever ever built.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:04:47 pm by Hush »
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!