Author Topic: Project Ginger Racer! 1975 CB750K COMPLETED!  (Read 44420 times)

traveler

Re: Project Marmalade 1975 CB750K
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13:13 pm »
Looks GREAT!  Congrats! 8)

~Joe

Offline old76cr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2010, 06:25:39 am »
That's awesome! A great inspiration!
cb750 k5                                                                     76 Husqvarna 250cr                                                       77 Can-Am 175   1973 honda SL125

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2010, 07:49:30 am »
Thanks guys more pics to come I was too excited to go for a ride to take any more!!

Scottish ex-wife Brit Mistress

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2010, 11:11:42 am »
I guess MAN!! Great looking wheels there! Cheers!

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2010, 07:53:37 pm »
Holy smokes man, that turned out great!!! Sweet looking bike. Yes, more pictures please (video??) once you have had your time on her..
Great weekend for riding also!

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
Re: Project Marmalade 1975 CB750K (completed!)
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2010, 06:55:43 pm »
here are more pics as promised

I would still like to add rear sets but the budget still will not allow this but not bad for a first build.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2010, 07:11:58 pm »
Looking great! That color is very cool with the black as it turns out. Bet she sounds as good as she looks..

Great job on it!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2010, 07:50:45 am »
Simply MAGNIFIQUE!   That's french for F'N wicked man!
I'm so jealous! ahah
Cheers!

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2010, 02:50:29 pm »
Thanks guys more pics to come I was too excited to go for a ride to take any more!!

Lookin good Mr. Mayor! How does run and handle? Plenty of good riding weather to come!
Who drilled your disc?  ;D ;D 8) :o 8)
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2010, 04:22:45 pm »
Thanks HedNut and zzpete I appreciate the favorable comments!!

She runs good and idles well once warmed up but I still need to do a proper carb sync.  I think she handles well for such an old bike with new rear shocks and new fork seals.  I used an ebay vendor for the rotor drilling I selected the 45 hole pattern this seller offers many patterns and pricing options.  Do a search for CB750 brake rotor and you should see a couple of examples. 

How is your build coming?  I'll have to check out your thread.

I broke down and purchased rear sets this afternoon....but I don't think they'll be here before the weekend.  I'm planning to take it to Milwaukee for Rockerbox on Saturday.

Offline putnaja1

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB 550k -Was gonna cafe, but looks cool stock!
    • Jason's Wacky Website
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »
Awesome job man!
Play Pinball!
My Gallery!
"The world is divided into people who do things, people who get the credit and people who continually criticize.  Try, if you can, to belong to the first class of people.  There's far less competition"

Offline DedHed

• Boob
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2010, 01:52:22 pm »
From a newbie....
WOW!
You should throw this one up on the "Inspiration" thread.

I have some visions of this on my 74 750....
Thank you Mr. Mayor sir.
Phil
CB750 K4

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2010, 10:33:56 am »
Thanks putnaja1 and dedHed!!

It's still a work in progress I've yet to get the crbs synced and have a few other things to do which include rear sets, new grips, rejetting etc., tighten steering head nut, touch up paint on the engine/frame, a possible repaint of the tank but have to wait and see how the BBB handles my case.

Overall the bike has come out how I envisioned it and have decided that the name of the bike (I like to name my bikes) will be the Ginger Racer.  Once fully completed maybe I will throw it up on the inspiration thread we'll see.

OH and I almost forgot I have an oil leak at the head gasket block that appeared over the weekend.  I should have kept it under a hundred on the ride to/from Milwaukee!

I have a possible solution (from a friend) that might work otherwise the engine will need to be pulled ugh!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:15:44 pm by Mayor08 »

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2010, 06:53:02 am »
Did you make it to Rockerbox? After seeing the pics I wish I could have made it myself. Next year I hope.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2010, 07:52:10 am »
Zaipai-I did make it to Rockerbox and it was a smörgåsbord for the eyes!  So many great bikes from every era and every type great people and a great venue.  It was my first time but will be a permanent destination for the coming years.  I took a bunch of pics that I uploaded to FBook if you're a member I'll send you the info otherwise I'll have to load them to Photobucket and send you the link.  Just had a thought- I'll add a few pics to the inspiration page!

Any chance you'll be headed to Chicago for Acetoberfest or any of the other planned events before the snow flies?

I hope to have the bike fully completed for Acetoberfest I'm due an update to this build page and hope to have something to report by the end of the week. 

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2010, 07:13:22 pm »
Zaipai-I did make it to Rockerbox and it was a smörgåsbord for the eyes!  So many great bikes from every era and every type great people and a great venue.  It was my first time but will be a permanent destination for the coming years.  I took a bunch of pics that I uploaded to FBook if you're a member I'll send you the info otherwise I'll have to load them to Photobucket and send you the link.  Just had a thought- I'll add a few pics to the inspiration page!

Any chance you'll be headed to Chicago for Acetoberfest or any of the other planned events before the snow flies?

I hope to have the bike fully completed for Acetoberfest I'm due an update to this build page and hope to have something to report by the end of the week. 
I am a member on FB.. I believe the link is in my tag.. I hope to go next year. I was unaware of the Aceoberfest.. I will have to look that up. At the moment I probably wont go too far from home with the bike, it needs the front fork seals redone and the oil leak has me concerned. All of it easy enough to fix, problem atm is money. School starts soon and Collage books for one kid, and normal schools stuff for the other has me a bit drained on cash atm. We will see, perhaps I can find it some place.

Glad you had a good time, hope to see the pictures..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2010, 03:25:50 pm »
My bike has been a joy to ride since I got it road worthy and have put many miles on the clock.  Last week I road to work- about 40 miles from my home to downtown Chicago- it was forecast to be 90 degrees a perfect day for riding!  I got packed up and started the bike and began my ride home but before I could get to the expressway a car pulled out and hit me.  I am okay but the bike is in rough shape and won't run I started another post here with all of the details: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=77349.0
I am just now thinking about what I need to do to get her back on the road the first order of business is to get her to start since the collision it won't fire.  Yesterday I reset the points gap and set static timing (checked for spark) but it just would not fire I ran out of daylight so called it a day the next thing to check is fuel in the bowls.

I'm disappointed that the bike was damaged glad I'm okay and looking forward to make a few changes to the design of the bike during rebuilding.  This time the paint work will be much better!

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2010, 07:24:09 pm »
Tonight I started getting the bike back in order as it will not fire since the accident.  I have spark but wasn't sure I was getting fuel.  All four bowls had fuel when I removed the drain plugs and I know I have compression but cannot seem to et her to turn over.  I pulled the carbs cleaned the slow jets, main jets etc. with carb cleaner put everything back together and still nothing.  I checked static timing yesterday but will check again tomorrow.  I put a spoon full of fuel in cylinders 1 and 4 and it almost fired- at least that was the closest it came to catching. 

Can any of you think what might have happened when the car collided with my bike? Did I miss something...something obvious?

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2010, 11:41:32 pm »
Did the stator cover hit the road.? if it did it may have rubbed through the stator windings creating a dead short, i have seen this before...

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2010, 10:30:58 am »
there is minor damage to the stator cover- would this prevent spark?  I checked and have spark.  Would this allow spark but not let the bike fire?

I feellike it is a fuel issue but can't seem to figure out what?  Must be something simple but it escapes me...

Please add your 2 cents.

I want the bike to fire again before I tear it down for repairs

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2010, 11:47:18 am »
If your sure you have spark, double check the timing (static). Maybe the "jolt" of the accident dislodged some crap and its stuck somewhere in your fuel system. Check the fuel flow from the petcock on down (also check your vent).
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2010, 03:34:49 pm »
Well, I poured gas into the  #1 and #4 cylinders and this time she fired albeit with some effort.  Once again the 750 has lived up to its nickname of a cold hearted bastard it wasn't this difficult to start after reassembly!

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
this bike came out great! I agree with the other guy, though about the metal flake, I don't see any.

man, sorry about your accident, that has happened to two other people on here, right after finishing their builds. what a bummer. at least your ok and the bike's not totaled.

that seat is really nice! does it use a stock seat pan? does it open(use the hinges)?

I got your email about painting, I'm about to reply to that...

I'd love to help you get this beauty back out and about.

josh

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2010, 03:17:45 pm »
 ;D Went and meet Mr.Mayor last weekend and bought some parts. Great guy. His bike will be back on the road better than ever! Thanks for the parts!

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2010, 08:14:00 am »
greasy j-

Thanks for the compliments and quick reply to my painting questions!  The seat is from an Asian seller on eBay got it at the "sale" price rather than the regular "buy it now" price but shipping still costs $80.

It has a metal seat pan (new) and the hinges do work though it was set up to lock on the right side of the bike where as mine locks on the left.  This could have been avoided if I had been more descriptive to the seller but a 6mm drill bit, tap and 15 minutes had it functioning perfectly.  It is comfortable but slick and I slide around a little bit.  The side cover damaged the seat during the accident and I need to have it recovered so I will have a more "grippy" material used for the center or main section.  I also cut down the right side cover (since I am going for a new paint job) a little to avoid all contact in the area in the future.

zzpete-

Great to meet you too!  I ordered my new exhaust can so the MAC can is yours I'll let you know when I have it off of the bike.

So far I have ordered the new parts necessary to put the bike back in running order these include:

Clubman bars
Clutch and brake levers
Bar end mirrors- Napoleons instead of the cheap ones I originally had on there
Replacement rear set parts
Exhaust can (there wasn't any damage from the accident just needs changed)
I also ordered braided Front brake lines shortened for clubmans

I still need a points cover...

Working on organising the new paint work with greasy j and some other little details.

Last night I took apart the Tarozzi rear sets to replace the broken brake arm and while I was at it so I could paint the mounting brackets to match the frame pics to follow once I have them back on the bike.

Okay- the current goal is to get the bike back together before the snow flies which should be possible then send parts off for paint when it is finally too cold to ride (for me) here in Chicagoland.

The next goal is to tear the bike down COMPLETELY and make a few mods, fix an oil leak, repaint the frame as I did not like how it came out- the clear coat made it look hazy.  Am I crazy to tear the bike down again??